Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

So,  no news is good news while the players are on spring break?  Or is there plenty of bull shit the 995  journalists can make up.  

"My sources tell me Collin Johnson caught all 12 beers tossed his way while partying on the beach,  but on a bad note, Dicker was cock blocked twice in the same day. He really needs to work on his trajectory.  "

5 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

So,  no news is good news while the players are on spring break?  Or is there plenty of bull shit the 995  journalists can make up.  

"My sources tell me Collin Johnson caught all 12 beers tossed his way while partying on the beach,  but on a bad note, Dicker was cock blocked twice in the same day. He really needs to work on his trajectory.  "

Anthony Cook stayed in Austin to get treatment on his hammy. $9.95 please.

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around why LSU would be a 7 point favorite in that game, in Austin. That 100% has to be teasing the fanbase to wager. 

We've lost three of our last four of our opening games with the sole win coming in OT and the most recent two losses coming against fucking Maryland.  It's got to be more about our lack of preparation for the first game of the season more so than roster comparison.  

1 minute ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

We've lost three of our last four of our opening games with the sole win coming in OT and the most recent two losses coming against fucking Maryland.  It's got to be more about our lack of preparation for the first game of the season more so than roster comparison.  

Good thing it's the second game of the season, then. Not that we've been historically great under Herman in the 2nd game of the season, either, but Vegas isn't setting a fucking  line based on Maryland games of yore, dude. That's not how Las Vegas works. They have some unknown algorithm used to maximize wagering, and at best "early season preparation" is a small sliver of that formula. Vegas's job isn't to pick the winners, it's to maximize wagering. And then I ask myself, what the fuck did I expect when posting on the football board? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Herman teams show up in big games. Go look at UH-OU in 2016, which was the first game of the season. It’s not about early season games. It’s about Herman teams consistently overlooking bad opponents. That ain’t gonna happen with LSU.

55 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Really tempted to throw some money at the LSU and OU lines. I’m assuming the payout has to be like -140 or something along those lines considering the size of the spread.

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Leaving the Memorial off of DKR Texas Memorial stadium is an issue for me. We shouldn't be doing that. 

We need a new name for it. Hey, why not name it after our two greatest coaches, and call it Royal Brown Stadium? We could use the same name for our team colors - Royal Brown sounds much more top-flight than Burnt Orange.

• Fuck You 2

31 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Where is he getting these? LSU +17 @Bama? Texas -3 AT HOME against Tech? 

Obviously OU -17 is not what the spread is was or ever will be, but a lot of these seem off. 

16 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

TCU at +2.5 and Tech at -3 as reported.

I really shouldn't bet on Texas games but both of those seem way off what they will be come kickoff. Assuming Sam doesn't die over SB and our D doesn't suck complete ass. 

Edited by ztejas

It comes from an account with 'ag' at the end. If these are lines that actually pay and are set up by an aggy, I would suggest all our resident gamblers get in the game ASAP because this guy probably isn't going to have the funds to make it past the first couple of weekends of the season.

OU -17? The last time that matchup was decided by more than two TDs was 2013. I mean I know we lost some people but they lost the Heisman Trophy winner. Surely that means something? I don't get this huge collapse we are constantly seeing projected. If Charlie Strong's players were so irreplaceable and dominant why did they go 5-7 so much?

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Does that site put our O/U on season wins at 6?  What a joke.

That is pretty much what the S&P+ did as well. Because we are losing all of our good players and have nobody with any talent or experience coming back is the reasoning. I find that really confusing as I don't see that at all looking at our roster, granted I am biased as a fan but I certainly know what a five or six win team looks like.

Edited by Valmy77

Some belated practice notes from Friday, via TFB: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/03/open-post-tuesday-march-19th/

Spring Practice Notes | March 15
– CJ Vogel

The pads were on at today’s practice and it was a great sight to see.

DEFENSIVE DEPTH CHART

We finally got a good idea of what the defensive depth chart will look for the Longhorns for the spring.

First Team:

DE: Malcolm Roach
DT: Gerald Wilbon
DE: TaQuon Graham
Rover: Ayodele Adeoye
LB: Jeffrey McCulloch
LB: Joseph Ossai
Nickel: BJ Foster
CB: Jalen Green
CB: Kobe Boyce
S: Caden Sterns
S: Chris Brown
Second Team:

DE: Moro Ojomo
DT: Jamari Chirsholm
DE: Marqez Bimage
Rover: Caleb Johnson
LB: Byron Vaughns
LB: Cort Jaquess (De’Gabriel Floyd)
Nickel: Josh Thompson
CB: Donovan Duvernay
CB: D’Shawn Jamison
S: Montrell Estell
S: Demarvion Overshown

PRACTICE NOTES

– Once again, there were several starters that were out of practice on Friday which is why the current defensive depth chart looks a little funky. Anthony Cook, De’Gabriel Floyd, Brandon Jones and Marqez Bimage (green non-contact jersey) were all guys that were held out of defensive team drills.

– Kitan Crawford, Chris Thompson,  Kelee Ringo, Jake Majors, and both Brockermeyer brothers were in attendance today.

OFFENSE

– Quarterback Sam Ehlinger looked crisp Friday. He also assumed the leadership role and was coaching up the younger guys in their throwing mechanics.

– The running backs joined in on the routes-on-air period and the team worked a lot of RPO stuff.

– With injuries to Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay, there wasn’t a true first team WR group out there today, however there was not a single dropped pass in the time media was allowed at practice.

– WR Brennan Eagles looks a full 230 pounds, yet he is still running like he is 200. S/o Yancy McKnight.

– WR Joshua Moore is going to be real tough to keep off the field. He is a legit receiver and adds a different dimension to the Texas offense with his quickness.

– WR Bru McCoy runs, catches and lines up in an unorthodox manner, but it certainly works.

– We talked about this Monday after the first practice, but RB Kirk Johnson is going to have a role this season for the first time in his Texas career. In person, Kirk may be the most impressive specimen at the position and has the speed and quickness that is certainly desired.

– Early Enrollee WR Jordan Whittington continues to impress coaches with his speed. We’ll see moving if he can actually take over the 2nd team RB reps with pads on running between the tackles.

– The first team offensive line remained unchanged. (Cosmi, Imade, Shackleford, Kerstetter, Okafor)

DEFENSE

– I really liked what I saw out of Malcolm Roach today. He was the first in line for each D-Line sled drill and was showing multiple younger guys proper hand technique during 1-on-1’s with the offensive line.

– DL Rob Cummins stepped out of the sled drills and received attention on his knee. It didn’t look serious at all and was probably just a brace malfunction, as he is returning from a torn ACL.

– DE Moro Ojomo looks to be in real good shape. He’s listed at 285 pounds on the spring roster and has been at the end position so far in the spring. It’ll be interesting moving forward if he is able to showcase the speed needed at the end.

– Early Enrollee LB De’Gabriel Floyd was once again in a green non-contact jersey after team doctors found a herniated disc in his neck. He stood right besides Todd Orlando during drills the linebackers went through during the individual period.

– With no Anthony Cook, Jalen Green took over the other corner spot. Green looks real good, but for the second straight practice, Coach Jason Washington has gotten onto him for staying low in his breaks during the chute drills.

– D’Shawn Jamison took over the 2nd team corner reps with Donovan Duvernay. His permanent spot appears to be back on defense.

– Early Enrollee LB Marcus Tillman looks like a grown man. This LB class was very much needed depth wise, and so far, has looked very impressive size and skill wise.

– Demarvion Overshown and Montrell Estell are both with the second team safeties as Chris Brown was the guy brought up with Brandon Jones recovering from ankle surgery. I imagine at some point this spring, all three safeties will see time in the first team safety spot alongside Caden Sterns.

ONE-ON-ONE NOTES

The offensive and defensive lines partook in some one-on-one drills at the end of the media time. Though it didn’t look like the normal pass rushing battles that highlight many HS camps. There weren’t many pass-rushing moves made throughout the process and it looked like offensive linemen were instructed to drive their man down the line as if it was a zone blocking scheme.

– Zach Shackleford easily beat Moro Ojomo in his drill.

– Reese Moore struggled in a couple of his reps. Malcolm Roach gave him the business and easily whipped him.

– Denzel Okafor looked good in his two reps I saw. He did a real good job of using his feet to move laterally.

– Speaking of Roach, in the limited reps I saw, he was not stopped once.

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

That is pretty much what the S&P+ did as well. Because we are losing all of our good players and have nobody with any talent or experience coming back is the reasoning. I find that really confusing as I don't see that at all looking at our roster, granted I am biased as a fan but I certainly know what a five or six win team looks like.

It's much more about experience (defined as returning production - so losing most of our leading tacklers really looks bad), rather than talent. And that low-ranked 2017 class is dragging down the talent metric anyway.

Edited by texifornia

30 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

OU -17? The last time that matchup was decided by more than two TDs was 2013. I mean I know we lost some people but they lost the Heisman Trophy winner. Surely that means something? I don't get this huge collapse we are constantly seeing projected. If Charlie Strong's players were so irreplaceable and dominant why did they go 5-7 so much?

Eggzackly.  Possibly even more importantly, OU lost virtually their entire O-Line.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

OU -17 is easily the most mind-bottling line on there.

Its like the car dealer selling red cars at 50% off - today only.  When competitor asks him how he can afford to do that he replies "I don't have any red cars"

I'd love to bet that line... if it were actually available