Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

24 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Aside from the above, a friend of mine is head of radiology at a large teaching hospital and he told me that a great many people have bulging disks with no pain and no bulging disk with lots of pain. IOWs don't trust the radiographs. My opinion is that spine surgery is very risky as far as outcomes so it should be a last resort type of procedure with first resort being PT, trigger point therapy, NSAIDs and lots of stretching exercise.

There is no such thing as a normal spine MRI in someone in his 40s. And spine surgery, like all surgery, has inherent risks including failure. With that said, good surgeons who look at an MRI are looking for more than bulging of discs. Patients who have radiculopathic symptoms (problems that without an MRI are clearly caused by a problem with a specific nerve root where it comes off of the spinal cord) AND who have something (disc, overgrown facet joint, etc) clearly compressing the same nerve root on MRI tend to do very well with decompression by a skilled surgeon. They typically wake up better as though a switch has been thrown. Many people seek and have back and/or neck surgery for a lot of situations which fail to meet one or more of the criteria I listed, however. There is enough desperation among patients and money in operating on them that a lot of potentially avoidable bad results occur, not even necessarily through any conscious malfeasance.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Hence the use of "probably" and "start." To start, he's got boyce and green ahead of him. Unless you're talking about KR/PR

Boyce looked good in practice last year and then was absolutely horrible in game. Until Boyce shows he can keep his head on straight, I don’t really think he’ll be much of a concern for Jamison, and that’s why I emphasized the Big 12. We play with 6-7 DBs almost every snap in conference.

If Jamison is good, the staff can easily find a way for him to get in the field, including putting him at the second Nickel spot on the strong side, where he won’t have the same run responsibilities. My point is, it’s not just look at the two CB spots to determine who starts/plays the most. The versatility of Orlando’s D really does allow him to find ways to get the best 11 on the field. If Jamison is one of them, he’ll play a ton over the next two years regardless of whether Cook and Green are ahead of him.

50 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton: Tuesday

Reveal hidden contents

Injuries suck. There's no better way to say it. Particularly so when it involves a player who is one of the team's true difference makers. Such was the case on Monday.

BJ Foster sustained a head injury during practice. At this time, it's unclear to the public if it's a concussion. But it sure sounds like it, at least from a precautionary standpoint. Foster is one of just a handful of Texas players who make a difference in games on a regular basis. Whether it's his ability to put pressure on the quarterback in blitz situations or causing a big fumble, like he did in the Sugar Bowl, Texas simply doesn't have enough difference makers that they can be losing them to injury for extended periods of time.

Who are the true difference makers on this Texas roster - the ones who simply are irreplaceable because they do things that impact a game every time they step on the field? At the top of the heap, the list is short.

- Sam Ehlinger 
- Sam Cosmi 
- BJ Foster

So if I had to start a list of the team's three most important players, those would be my first three. Those three guys can't be injured for Texas to be its best in 2019. Foster and Ehlinger simply make too many positive, off-schedule plays compared to anyone who might replace them. Cosmi's consistency, tenacity and ability is such a rare mix.

So who are the ones after that, that next level of expectation?

- Zach Shackelford 
- Collin Johnson 
- Devin Duvernay 
- Keaontay Ingram 
- Joe Ossai 
- Brandon Jones 
- Ta'Quon Graham 
- Caden Sterns

Incoming grad transfer Parker Braun, a two-time all-conference starter for Georgia Tech, would make the list, too. Braun might even be among the very top group if he can pick up the Texas system quickly once he arrives.

Some might ask why Malcolm Roach doesn't make this list. I feel like Roach has yet to really prove himself as a standout, as someone the other team has to account for. Clearly, he is a positive player on the team. But to be among the top 11 or 12 most impactful players on the team, Roach needs to produce more in 2019. I also picked two players from the defensive front - Ossai and Graham - over Roach. I think Graham is close to being an all-conference caliber player this coming year, and based on feedback from those inside the program, Ossai could be the team's next defensive star.

One player who I think doesn't get enough credit for his play is Devin Duvernay. All Duvernay ever does is catch the ball. Every ball. It's not easy being that consistent. He also routinely grades out as the team's best blocking receiver. His consistent effort is undeniable. Like Andrew Beck a year ago, I expect Duvernay to be a team leader in all the requisite ways this coming season.

The Horns practice next on Thursday because the Horns' Pro Day is on Wednesday. Texas will follow the Thursday practice up with a scrimmage on Saturday. And hopefully there will be no new injuries for us to report.

So he doesn’t include Roach becuase he hasn’t proven himself on the field, but he does include Graham. What a joke. People have been talking up Graham for three straight offseasons now and he’s yet to do much of anything in two years. I hope the light goes on this year, but callinb him one of our most indespinsable players at a position with plenty of depth is, well, about what I’d expect from Burton.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I like that herman talks to players. Not like all my coaches did with us,  but actually has conversations with them. That's real shit right there.

Also, it was great to see Ehlinger coaching Ghirmai. Of course these are small bits to take away from the video, but it will lead to huge results next season.

Agreed, also lol in first 10s, got a kick out of the fanboy wave/hello, “hi Dickson!” Good stuff.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Boyce looked good in practice last year and then was absolutely horrible in game. Until Boyce shows he can keep his head on straight, I don’t really think he’ll be much of a concern for Jamison, and that’s why I emphasized the Big 12. We play with 6-7 DBs almost every snap in conference.

If Jamison is good, the staff can easily find a way for him to get in the field, including putting him at the second Nickel spot on the strong side, where he won’t have the same run responsibilities. My point is, it’s not just look at the two CB spots to determine who starts/plays the most. The versatility of Orlando’s D really does allow him to find ways to get the best 11 on the field. If Jamison is one of them, he’ll play a ton over the next two years regardless of whether Cook and Green are ahead of him.

Agreed. We don't have a KB this season that will be getting 90%+ of the snaps. Our DB rotation should be deep - and when it isn't - it will be because we are playing 6 or 7 "DBs" against certain teams. 

I still think one of our DB’s will line up at Rover at some point early in the season given our lack of depth at both LB slots. McCullough is a better fit size and speed-wise for Mac than Rover, leaving space for one of the DB’s who doesn’t nail down a slot in the secondary. Overshown would have been the best. Too bad he passed. Maybe Brown or Foster?

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

I don't remember hearing about it before he signed. If he needs surgery, it could be anything from taking out a small bit of disc, a one-level ACDF (fusing 2 of the 7 neck bones together), to a major intervention. Even a one-level fusion doesn't necessarily mean no football. My guess is that if he has not seen a spine surgeon yet (and often the referral isn't made until nonsurgical care has obviously failed), it may be that literally no one knows his chances for whether and when he may be definitively over this. Disclaimer: I have not operated on a spine in years and do not keep up with much of the latest and greatest.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Aside from the above, a friend of mine is head of radiology at a large teaching hospital and he told me that a great many people have bulging disks with no pain and no bulging disk with lots of pain. IOWs don't trust the radiographs. My opinion is that spine surgery is very risky as far as outcomes so it should be a last resort type of procedure with first resort being PT, trigger point therapy, NSAIDs and lots of stretching exercise.

I’ve watched some Grey’s Anatomy.  Floyd will be fine.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I still think one of our DB’s will line up at Rover at some point early in the season given our lack of depth at both LB slots. McCullough is a better fit size and speed-wise for Mac than Rover, leaving space for one of the DB’s who doesn’t nail down a slot in the secondary. Overshown would have been the best. Too bad he passed. Maybe Brown or Foster?

Don't forget about Owens - assuming he doesn't RS (which he might - prob dependent on the health of that room during the season). 

Part of it will probably depend on how much Floyd (fingers crossed) ends up playing inside - as well as Caleb Johnson (outside). 

Edited by ztejas

I'm still a student (about to complete a masters in medical science), so I'm trying to learn about these injuries, but I'm wondering as to why the worry about DGF's injury. Obviously, ctj saying he might not ever play is really concerning, but I'm wondering what the likely prognosis actually is. I'm know there's a non-zero chance he doesn't play again, but based on my research it doesn't seem totally doomed.

One article said: "Over 85% patients with symptoms associated with acute herniated disc will resolve within 8 to 12 weeks without any specific treatments." Another said found that 79% of patients with lumbar disc hernation returned to play after an average of 4.8 months and continued to play for at least 6 (although lumbar is different that DGF's injury).

I don't have any actual clinical training, so if anybody with some (or Maggus Ossis) wants to chime in about whether there are abnormal concerns about DGF I'd appreciate it.

Our freak injury luck fucking sucks lately. Hudson, Grandy, Brown, DGF, Coburn within the last yearish.

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I don't have any actual clinical training, so if anybody with some (or Maggus Ossis) wants to chime in about whether there are abnormal concerns about DGF I'd appreciate it.

Our freak injury luck fucking sucks lately. Hudson, Grandy, Brown, DGF, Coburn within the last yearish.

Didn't Brandon Jones get hurt in a walk-thru at the hotel last year??  Also sucks when Texas players get hurt during practice from "friendly fire".... Josh Moore comes to mind.

4 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

I don't remember hearing about it before he signed. If he needs surgery, it could be anything from taking out a small bit of disc, a one-level ACDF (fusing 2 of the 7 neck bones together), to a major intervention. Even a one-level fusion doesn't necessarily mean no football. My guess is that if he has not seen a spine surgeon yet (and often the referral isn't made until nonsurgical care has obviously failed), it may be that literally no one knows his chances for whether and when he may be definitively over this. Disclaimer: I have not operated on a spine in years and do not keep up with much of the latest and greatest.

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'm still a student (about to complete a masters in medical science), so I'm trying to learn about these injuries, but I'm wondering as to why the worry about DGF's injury. Obviously, ctj saying he might not ever play is really concerning, but I'm wondering what the likely prognosis actually is. I'm know there's a non-zero chance he doesn't play again, but based on my research it doesn't seem totally doomed.

One article said: "Over 85% patients with symptoms associated with acute herniated disc will resolve within 8 to 12 weeks without any specific treatments." Another said found that 79% of patients with lumbar disc hernation returned to play after an average of 4.8 months and continued to play for at least 6 (although lumbar is different that DGF's injury).

You guys seem more medically informed than the rest of us. Walk us through a diagnosis of spinal stenosis when you have a chance, please.

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Aaaaaaand there it is. Not one of the doctors on the board, but this article was interesting.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/sports/2013-01-23/the-nfl-beat-spinal-stenosis/

Fwiw - Jones made it 4 years in the NFL before:

The Cardinals released Jones (back) with an injury settlement Saturday, Darren Urban of the team's official site reports.

Injuries conspired to contain Jones to only two preseason appearances, during which he notched two tackles (one solo). Otherwise, a quad concern and then a "disc issue" in his back hindered his availability in both practice and games. Once his injury settlement concludes, he'll be eligible to sign with another organization.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You guys seem more medically informed than the rest of us. Walk us through a diagnosis of spinal stenosis when you have a chance, please.

Spinal stenosis basically means that the spinal canal is narrower than normal. If it is narrowed to the point that it impinges on the spinal cord and roots that run through the canal, it can cause a ton of issues ranging from numbness to pain to lack of coordination and balance. There are also several other complications that can make it more serious. At the cervical level (i.e. at the neck, where it's reported with DGF), it can be caused by herniated discs, so that may be how the discovery of a herniated disc led to the discovery. 

The doctors in SC's article were saying that it hasn't been proven to increase risk of spinal cord injury and it doesn't mean you can't play football, but I found a pretty good article whose authors believe there is a correlation with SCI and strongly advise that their patients don't play football.There was another study that found that 5% of the ~3000 players that attended the NFL combine from 2003-2011 had cervical spine injuries, including ten cases of stenosis. All 10 were drafted and none had spinal cord injuries as of 2016. However, players that did suffer spinal cord injuries were more likely to have narrow spinal canals. 

It seems like overall there isn't much of a consensus on how much risk stenosis poses to athletes, how it should be treated, or when they are safe to return to their sport. Spinal cord injuries can be really catastrophic so I think that it's understandable why any increase in risk can be quite a deterrent. 

I'm not a doctor and I haven't seen DeGabriel as a patient, so I can't/don't want to speculate too much about his future. 

• Like 1

This was a post about WVU’s TE who’s draft eligible, but the first and third play are against UT. These plays show why almost anyone we replace Wheeler with will likely be an upgrade and why there’s no doubt in my mind that Foster is a better Nickel than Thompson. Thompson was poor in pass coverage last year, but he was absolutely horrible in the run game.

on the first play, Wheeler is way too slow to read the play and he compounded that with    not being able to get off a block at all. He was an absolute liability almost the entire time he was on the field. Also, Thompson comes in at the end and makes a horrible attempt at a tackle and bounces right off his man. 

On the third play, Graham gets chipped but he must fight harder to get outside his man. He’s supposed to slant to the outside and he lets the chip and drive block completely neutralize him and he gets sealed inside. Wheeler is once again slow to the play and gets eaten up by the OL who chipped Graham. Finally, Thompson gets driven back about 20 yards by the TE and makes it so Sterns can’t even make a play on the ball carrier. Thompson was also the guy who let Jennings beta him deep at the end to lose us the game.

Cervical stenosis typically means a narrow central spinal canal but is sometimes used more casually to include cervical foraminal stenosis-- narrowing of the windows through which nerve roots exit. Neither one is necessarily a contraindication for playing football. If a player has deformation of the cord itself with "signal change" inside it seen on MRI or has more than one episode of transient quadriparesis, though, he is probably done. I haven't read enough news about DGF to know whether what he has is more central or foraminal/ radiculopathic, but I think word would have gotten out had he experienced quadriparesis, and people wouldn't be sitting the fence if his MRI were that bad.

cervical-spinal-stenosis.jpg

The above picture shows congenital (central) stenosis which might have been an incidental finding picked up on an MRI. If it is mild, it might be no big deal. If it is severe, the surgery might be laminectomy (remove the back corner walls of the canal) and fusion. It can be made temporarily worse by disc protruding into the canal, in which case the disc is likely removed, typically with fusion as well.

afp20100101p33-f2.jpg

This picture shows a "side" (sagittal) and "bottom" (axial) view of stenosis affecting the foramen and hence the nerve root. In a young athlete, it would not be arthritis (spondylosis when in the spine) but rather disc, treated as noted above if it doesn't improve enough without surgery.

Patellar tendinitis is not usually a surgical problem. Most guys who need their patellar tendon debrided (bits of unhealthy tendon trimmed out) and repaired return to play, but a good 10% never really do. Out for spring, reasonable chance to be ready for full action in fall camp.

Edited by Magus Ossis
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This was a post about WVU’s TE who’s draft eligible, but the first and third play are against UT. These plays show why almost anyone we replace Wheeler with will likely be an upgrade and why there’s no doubt in my mind that Foster is a better Nickel than Thompson. Thompson was poor in pass coverage last year, but he was absolutely horrible in the run game.

on the first play, Wheeler is way too slow to read the play and he compounded that with    not being able to get off a block at all. He was an absolute liability almost the entire time he was on the field. Also, Thompson comes in at the end and makes a horrible attempt at a tackle and bounces right off his man. 

On the third play, Graham gets chipped but he must fight harder to get outside his man. He’s supposed to slant to the outside and he lets the chip and drive block completely neutralize him and he gets sealed inside. Wheeler is once again slow to the play and gets eaten up by the OL who chipped Graham. Finally, Thompson gets driven back about 20 yards by the TE and makes it so Sterns can’t even make a play on the ball carrier. Thompson was also the guy who let Jennings beta him deep at the end to lose us the game.

Sterns also deserves some level of blame for that WVU game winner even though I like him 

10 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Cervical stenosis typically means a narrow central spinal canal but is sometimes used more casually to include cervical foraminal stenosis-- narrowing of the windows through which nerve roots exit. Neither one is necessarily a contraindication for playing football. If a player has deformation of the cord itself with "signal change" inside it seen on MRI or has more than one episode of transient quadriparesis, though, he is probably done. I haven't read enough news about DGF to know whether what he has is more central or foraminal/ radiculopathic, but I think word would have gotten out had he experienced quadriparesis, and people wouldn't be sitting the fence if his MRI were that bad.

cervical-spinal-stenosis.jpg

The above picture shows congenital (central) stenosis which might have been an incidental finding picked up on an MRI. If it is mild, it might be no big deal. If it is severe, the surgery might be laminectomy (remove the back corner walls of the canal) and fusion. It can be made temporarily worse by disc protruding into the canal, in which case the disc is likely removed, typically with fusion as well.

afp20100101p33-f2.jpg

This picture shows a "side" (sagittal) and "bottom" (axial) view of stenosis affecting the foramen and hence the nerve root. In a young athlete, it would not be arthritis (spondylosis when in the spine) but rather disc, treated as noted above if it doesn't improve enough without surgery.

Patellar tendinitis is not usually a surgical problem. Most guys who need their patellar tendon debrided (bits of unhealthy tendon trimmed out) and repaired return to play, but a good 10% never really do. Out for spring, reasonable chance to be ready for full action in fall camp.

How many more Magus Oasis posts do I need to read before I get my MD?