Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

11 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Cervical stenosis typically means a narrow central spinal canal but is sometimes used more casually to include cervical foraminal stenosis-- narrowing of the windows through which nerve roots exit. Neither one is necessarily a contraindication for playing football. If a player has deformation of the cord itself with "signal change" inside it seen on MRI or has more than one episode of transient quadriparesis, though, he is probably done. I haven't read enough news about DGF to know whether what he has is more central or foraminal/ radiculopathic, but I think word would have gotten out had he experienced quadriparesis, and people wouldn't be sitting the fence if his MRI were that bad.

cervical-spinal-stenosis.jpg

The above picture shows congenital (central) stenosis which might have been an incidental finding picked up on an MRI. If it is mild, it might be no big deal. If it is severe, the surgery might be laminectomy (remove the back corner walls of the canal) and fusion. It can be made temporarily worse by disc protruding into the canal, in which case the disc is likely removed, typically with fusion as well.

afp20100101p33-f2.jpg

This picture shows a "side" (sagittal) and "bottom" (axial) view of stenosis affecting the foramen and hence the nerve root. In a young athlete, it would not be arthritis (spondylosis when in the spine) but rather disc, treated as noted above if it doesn't improve enough without surgery.

Patellar tendinitis is not usually a surgical problem. Most guys who need their patellar tendon debrided (bits of unhealthy tendon trimmed out) and repaired return to play, but a good 10% never really do. Out for spring, reasonable chance to be ready for full action in fall camp.

Very informative and interesting, and now my life long regrets of not going into medicine are back.

18 hours ago, Goodman said:

Some gold in this clip:

"Rafiti! Drop your ass!"

Herman: "Michelle was like, what am I supposed to make for dinner for a supermodel and the worlds sexiest man/Oscar winner?" I was like, "He's kind of a normal dude, throw on some steaks."

• Like 1

The Eyes of Texas: Inside scoop on Pro Day, spring football

THE INSIDE SCOOP ON UT PRO DAY

I was able to catch up with three members of NFL teams who were in attendance at UT’s Pro Day, and here’s what they had to say about:

DE Charles Omenihu

“He weighed in at the combine at 280, and today he weighed in at 264 to show he could run faster, and he didn’t really run any faster. He was still in that 4.9 range.” … “He did OK today. He moved a little better through the bags today than he did at the combine. But he didn’t jump out and make anyone rethink who he is. He’s a guy with really nice, long 36-inch arms who is a little gangly and still trying to figure out how to use that length.” … “I think he might be surprised where he’s going to be drafted. I think he thinks he’s a first- or second-day guy, and I think he’s a Day Three guy.”

WR Lil'Jordan Humphrey

“A lot of teams gathered around him after the Pro Day concluded to find out why he didn’t run routes and catch the ball today and only did blocking drills. He ran routes at the combine, but it just seemed odd that he wanted to show teams he could block and do tight end-type things — he even did some stuff with the offensive line — when he’s 220 pounds and going to be a big slot in the NFL.” … “I really like Lil'Jordan Humphrey. I think he’s a football player. But I think his lack of speed is going to make it possible he goes undrafted. He didn’t really improve his 40 time today. He was still in that high 4.7, low 4.8 range. But he plays fast on film, because he knows what he’s doing and where he’s going. So he just needs to get to camp with someone and be the aggressive, smart football player he’s shown to be on film.”

LB Gary Johnson

“I think teams want to like Gary, because he’s got really good speed and has shown he can make plays. But he came in today at 220 and not 225 or 230, which says he can’t keep the weight on. When I asked him what happened, he said he usually goes to iHop for breakfast and eats a big stack of pancakes but didn’t do that today. I mean are you telling me you dropped six to 10 pounds because you didn’t go eat at iHop today? Come on.” … “I don’t think Gary is a bad guy — just kind of a dumb dumb. He was suspended late in the season (against Kansas) for failing a drug test. So, at a time when your team needs you most, you fail your teammates. That’s the kind of stuff that scares teams. We won’t find out how his drug test at the combine turned out until next month.”

LB/DE Breckyn Hager

“I thought Hager did the right thing coming into Pro Day at 245 instead of 260. He knows he’s a linebacker, not a 4i technique who took quite an ass-whooping playing that 4i. But he’s a team guy who tried to do what was asked of him, even though his best work on film (at Texas) is as a pass-rushing outside linebacker — probably from his sophomore season.” … “The fact that Hager went 39 and a half inches in the vertical and 10-plus feet in the broad jump shows he’s explosive. He’s a first-step guy, an effort guy with a nice motor. He’s gonna have to get with the right coach, get in the right defensive system for someone to maximize his talent. He may or may not get drafted. But in the right situation, he might be a guy who ends up outperforming expectations, because he was a really productive player per snap his sophomore year, and then kind of got lost at times. And not all of that was his fault as he was asked to do more and maybe got away from what he does best.” … “Hager’s probably gonna have to be a Sam backer in a 3-4. I like the kid. He’s a football player. His dad (Britt) was a productive player. His brother (Bryce) is in the league. Someone’s going to take a chance on Breckyn.”

TE Andrew Beck

“Beck is going to make an NFL roster. He had a really good day today. I think he got himself drafted today, because we knew he could block and get dirty, but today he showed he’s athletic and caught the ball great.” … “Beck is not great at everything. But he’s good at a lot of things. And the fact he ran in the 4.5s shows he’s got the size and speed to play on just about every special teams unit.” … “Beck really helped himself today. He needs to get on a team that will use him like a Swiss Army knife and line him up at tight end as well as an H-back and fullback. He could end up creating a nice niche for himself with the right team.”

CB Kris Boyd

“Boyd worked out well today. You see the explosiveness and just a bunch of raw athleticism. But he plays with such bad eyes. You almost have to break him down and start over in the image you want him. So that has to be factored in when you consider where you’re going to take him.” … “I love Kris Boyd as a kid. He’s just so damn straight forward — for better or worse. And I find it refreshing. He knows where his strengths and weaknesses are. I think he’s coachable. And he needs work. But if you can be patient as a team and bring him along behind an aging veteran, you could have a gem on your hands in a few years.”

CB Davante Davis

“It’s funny to compare Davis with Kris Boyd. I mean Boyd is such a better, more explosive athlete than Davis. Like, it’s not even close. But in some ways, Davis is a more fundamentally sound corner than Boyd is right now. And Davis is every bit of 6-foot-2, so he’s big and long. He doesn’t run great (4.58 in the 40). But he’s a tough football player and plays faster than his 40 time.” … “Someone might use a late pick on Davis, or he could be a preferred (undrafted) free agent. I’d love our team to get him late in the draft, because he fits a lot of what we do as a big nickel. I think Davis is a confident football player and makes an NFL roster.”

S/Nickel P.J. Locke III

“I thought P.J. Locke really helped himself today. He’s a guy who has played through some injuries — like a toe and an ankle I think the coaches told us. I think he was fully healthy, and today he had 20 reps on the bench and ran in the 4.4s and probably showed teams that he could be like a Quandre Diggs as a compact, powerful, hard-hitting nickel and get after it on special teams.”

DT Chris Nelson

“Nelson is a rollie-pollie nose tackle who popped through the bags pretty good today. His measurables aren’t ideal, which means he could go undrafted. But he’ll go to camp with someone, because he’s a smart football player and a captain, and those things typically mean he has a chance to make a roster or practice squad.”

LT Calvin Anderson

“You know? I didn’t know what to think of Anderson coming into today, but I leave thinking he’s probably going to make someone’s practice squad, because he’s long. His feet aren’t bad. His run-blocking on film can be ugly. He’s got to get stronger. But he’s a great effort guy who gives you everything he’s got. His dad being colonel in the Army probably has something to do with that — and the fact he’s a ‘yes sir, no sir” guy. His feet and length give him a chance, because there’s never enough offensive linemen.”

NOTE: The other participants in UT’s Pro Day weren’t seen as possibilities to make an NFL roster by the three NFL personnel members.

SPRING FOOTBALL NEWS AND NOTES

Five practices into spring football, we have a couple more injuries in the secondary that are just going to intensify the already sunlight-through-a-magnifying-glass-intense competition. Brandon Jones missing the spring after having surgery to repair effects from lingering ankle injuries suffered last season opened a door for Chris Brown, who is showing the kind of maturity, consistency and leadership that has pleasantly surprised coaches. “At safety, it’s his room right now,” one team source said.

Which leads us to our next injuries: Safety Caden Sterns (minor knee surgery) and nickel B.J. Foster (concussion) Sterns missing the rest of the spring has opened a door for DeMarvion Overshown, thus opening an incredible door of intrigue. When Overshown told coaches he wanted to move from Rover linebacker, where he had a chance to start in 2019, back to safety, where Sterns and Jones are returning starters, it was a head-scratcher.

Now, suddenly, Overshown has a chance to get a ton of reps and make some serious improvement. “When DeMarvion decides to run, he can really run,” Tom Herman said. “When he decides to hit, he can really hit.” The message: Go all in and don’t rely on incredible athletic ability to get by.  And let me tell you something: Having witnessed Overshown deciding to really run and hit on Monday, he looked like he was on fast-forward while the players around him were simply on play. Excited to see what he does with this opportunity — other than help build ridiculous depth at safety for the 2019 season.

Let’s flip over to running back … As I’ve been reporting, Kirk Johnson, the OLDER brother of UT leading returning receiver Collin Johnson, is healthy and getting first reps with the second-team offense behind Keaontay Ingram. While freshman Jordan Whittington gets the second reps with the second-team, followed by Daniel Young. Off to the side at Pro Day, I asked Tre Watson his opinion on Johnson, and he had an interesting take:

“That dude’s a specimen,” Watson said. “I mean he’s jacked. Maybe too jacked. When you have that little of body fat, the pounding you’re taking at running back is all directly on the muscle, and that’s tough.” Johnson is listed at 215. But I’m told he’s closer to 220 or 225 and is an absolute workout warrior. The only thing that matters to Johnson is if he can maintain his speed at his current weight, and I’m told Johnson has been monitoring that and making sure as he’s rebuilt his body.

Johnson takes great pride in his hands and ability to catch the football. But the funny thing is Herman the other day basically said Ingram and early enrollee freshman Jordan Whittington are similar/versatile backs who can run it and catch it, while Johnson is more of a banger along the lines of Daniel Young. Not sure Kirko Grinds would agree with that. He absolutely thinks he has some of the best hands on the team.

The bottom line is if Ingram, Johnson and Whittington can all stay healthy this year, there’s no need to look at bringing in a grad transfer at running back. Saturday’s scrimmage will be an important early test for a lot of guys. We’ll have details of that closed scrimmage later that day.

THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE ON GOLF

Texas golf coach John Fields made sure to get out to Austin Country Club on Wednesday to show a nice, Longhorns’ welcome home to Jordan Spieth, who helped UT and Fields win the 2012 national title. Spieth had to pull off some serious shot-making down the stretch on Wednesday to earn a “halved” match with Billy Horschel in his opening round of the WGC-Dell Matchplay.

Currently ranked No. 28 in the world, Spieth is the only Longhorn in the field at this year’s Dell Match Play, the world’s premier match play event featuring the planet’s top 64 players. And watch out for Fields’ Longhorns, who feature three stud freshmen — Cole Hammer and brothers Parker and Pierceson Coody — who are growing up before our eyes. In the fall, eighth-ranked Texas took down the nation’s No. 1 and No. 2 teams — Oklahoma and Oklahoma State — in the Big 12 Match Play Tournament.

Earlier this month, Fields’ Longhorns finished second by one stroke to No. 5 Arizona State at the Lamkin Classic at San Diego Country Club as Hammer, Coody and Coody all finished in the top 10 individual standings. The Big 12 Championship in late April at The Greenbrier in West Virginia could very well be a preview of the NCAA Championship this year.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

I was able to catch up with three members of NFL teams who were in attendance at UT’s Pro Day, and here’s what they had to say about:

DE Charles Omenihu

“He weighed in at the combine at 280, and today he weighed in at 264 to show he could run faster, and he didn’t really run any faster. He was still in that 4.9 range.” … “He did OK today. He moved a little better through the bags today than he did at the combine. But he didn’t jump out and make anyone rethink who he is. He’s a guy with really nice, long 36-inch arms who is a little gangly and still trying to figure out how to use that length.” … “I think he might be surprised where he’s going to be drafted. I think he thinks he’s a first- or second-day guy, and I think he’s a Day Three guy.”

WR Lil'Jordan Humphrey

“A lot of teams gathered around him after the Pro Day concluded to find out why he didn’t run routes and catch the ball today and only did blocking drills. He ran routes at the combine, but it just seemed odd that he wanted to show teams he could block and do tight end-type things — he even did some stuff with the offensive line — when he’s 220 pounds and going to be a big slot in the NFL.” … “I really like Lil'Jordan Humphrey. I think he’s a football player. But I think his lack of speed is going to make it possible he goes undrafted. He didn’t really improve his 40 time today. He was still in that high 4.7, low 4.8 range. But he plays fast on film, because he knows what he’s doing and where he’s going. So he just needs to get to camp with someone and be the aggressive, smart football player he’s shown to be on film.”

LB Gary Johnson

“I think teams want to like Gary, because he’s got really good speed and has shown he can make plays. But he came in today at 220 and not 225 or 230, which says he can’t keep the weight on. When I asked him what happened, he said he usually goes to iHop for breakfast and eats a big stack of pancakes but didn’t do that today. I mean are you telling me you dropped six to 10 pounds because you didn’t go eat at iHop today? Come on.” … “I don’t think Gary is a bad guy — just kind of a dumb dumb. He was suspended late in the season (against Kansas) for failing a drug test. So, at a time when your team needs you most, you fail your teammates. That’s the kind of stuff that scares teams. We won’t find out how his drug test at the combine turned out until next month.”

LB/DE Breckyn Hager

“I thought Hager did the right thing coming into Pro Day at 245 instead of 260. He knows he’s a linebacker, not a 4i technique who took quite an ass-whooping playing that 4i. But he’s a team guy who tried to do what was asked of him, even though his best work on film (at Texas) is as a pass-rushing outside linebacker — probably from his sophomore season.” … “The fact that Hager went 39 and a half inches in the vertical and 10-plus feet in the broad jump shows he’s explosive. He’s a first-step guy, an effort guy with a nice motor. He’s gonna have to get with the right coach, get in the right defensive system for someone to maximize his talent. He may or may not get drafted. But in the right situation, he might be a guy who ends up outperforming expectations, because he was a really productive player per snap his sophomore year, and then kind of got lost at times. And not all of that was his fault as he was asked to do more and maybe got away from what he does best.” … “Hager’s probably gonna have to be a Sam backer in a 3-4. I like the kid. He’s a football player. His dad (Britt) was a productive player. His brother (Bryce) is in the league. Someone’s going to take a chance on Breckyn.”

TE Andrew Beck

“Beck is going to make an NFL roster. He had a really good day today. I think he got himself drafted today, because we knew he could block and get dirty, but today he showed he’s athletic and caught the ball great.” … “Beck is not great at everything. But he’s good at a lot of things. And the fact he ran in the 4.5s shows he’s got the size and speed to play on just about every special teams unit.” … “Beck really helped himself today. He needs to get on a team that will use him like a Swiss Army knife and line him up at tight end as well as an H-back and fullback. He could end up creating a nice niche for himself with the right team.”

CB Kris Boyd

“Boyd worked out well today. You see the explosiveness and just a bunch of raw athleticism. But he plays with such bad eyes. You almost have to break him down and start over in the image you want him. So that has to be factored in when you consider where you’re going to take him.” … “I love Kris Boyd as a kid. He’s just so damn straight forward — for better or worse. And I find it refreshing. He knows where his strengths and weaknesses are. I think he’s coachable. And he needs work. But if you can be patient as a team and bring him along behind an aging veteran, you could have a gem on your hands in a few years.”

CB Davante Davis

“It’s funny to compare Davis with Kris Boyd. I mean Boyd is such a better, more explosive athlete than Davis. Like, it’s not even close. But in some ways, Davis is a more fundamentally sound corner than Boyd is right now. And Davis is every bit of 6-foot-2, so he’s big and long. He doesn’t run great (4.58 in the 40). But he’s a tough football player and plays faster than his 40 time.” … “Someone might use a late pick on Davis, or he could be a preferred (undrafted) free agent. I’d love our team to get him late in the draft, because he fits a lot of what we do as a big nickel. I think Davis is a confident football player and makes an NFL roster.”

S/Nickel P.J. Locke III

“I thought P.J. Locke really helped himself today. He’s a guy who has played through some injuries — like a toe and an ankle I think the coaches told us. I think he was fully healthy, and today he had 20 reps on the bench and ran in the 4.4s and probably showed teams that he could be like a Quandre Diggs as a compact, powerful, hard-hitting nickel and get after it on special teams.”

DT Chris Nelson

“Nelson is a rollie-pollie nose tackle who popped through the bags pretty good today. His measurables aren’t ideal, which means he could go undrafted. But he’ll go to camp with someone, because he’s a smart football player and a captain, and those things typically mean he has a chance to make a roster or practice squad.”

LT Calvin Anderson

“You know? I didn’t know what to think of Anderson coming into today, but I leave thinking he’s probably going to make someone’s practice squad, because he’s long. His feet aren’t bad. His run-blocking on film can be ugly. He’s got to get stronger. But he’s a great effort guy who gives you everything he’s got. His dad being colonel in the Army probably has something to do with that — and the fact he’s a ‘yes sir, no sir” guy. His feet and length give him a chance, because there’s never enough offensive linemen.”

NOTE: The other participants in UT’s Pro Day weren’t seen as possibilities to make an NFL roster by the three NFL personnel members.

Five practices into spring football, we have a couple more injuries in the secondary that are just going to intensify the already sunlight-through-a-magnifying-glass-intense competition. Brandon Jones missing the spring after having surgery to repair effects from lingering ankle injuries suffered last season opened a door for Chris Brown, who is showing the kind of maturity, consistency and leadership that has pleasantly surprised coaches. “At safety, it’s his room right now,” one team source said.

Which leads us to our next injuries: Safety Caden Sterns (minor knee surgery) and nickel B.J. Foster (concussion) Sterns missing the rest of the spring has opened a door for DeMarvion Overshown, thus opening an incredible door of intrigue. When Overshown told coaches he wanted to move from Rover linebacker, where he had a chance to start in 2019, back to safety, where Sterns and Jones are returning starters, it was a head-scratcher.

Now, suddenly, Overshown has a chance to get a ton of reps and make some serious improvement. “When DeMarvion decides to run, he can really run,” Tom Herman said. “When he decides to hit, he can really hit.” The message: Go all in and don’t rely on incredible athletic ability to get by.  And let me tell you something: Having witnessed Overshown deciding to really run and hit on Monday, he looked like he was on fast-forward while the players around him were simply on play. Excited to see what he does with this opportunity — other than help build ridiculous depth at safety for the 2019 season.

Let’s flip over to running back … As I’ve been reporting, Kirk Johnson, the OLDER brother of UT leading returning receiver Collin Johnson, is healthy and getting first reps with the second-team offense behind Keaontay Ingram. While freshman Jordan Whittington gets the second reps with the second-team, followed by Daniel Young. Off to the side at Pro Day, I asked Tre Watson his opinion on Johnson, and he had an interesting take:

“That dude’s a specimen,” Watson said. “I mean he’s jacked. Maybe too jacked. When you have that little of body fat, the pounding you’re taking at running back is all directly on the muscle, and that’s tough.” Johnson is listed at 215. But I’m told he’s closer to 220 or 225 and is an absolute workout warrior. The only thing that matters to Johnson is if he can maintain his speed at his current weight, and I’m told Johnson has been monitoring that and making sure as he’s rebuilt his body.

Johnson takes great pride in his hands and ability to catch the football. But the funny thing is Herman the other day basically said Ingram and early enrollee freshman Jordan Whittington are similar/versatile backs who can run it and catch it, while Johnson is more of a banger along the lines of Daniel Young. Not sure Kirko Grinds would agree with that. He absolutely thinks he has some of the best hands on the team.

The bottom line is if Ingram, Johnson and Whittington can all stay healthy this year, there’s no need to look at bringing in a grad transfer at running back. Saturday’s scrimmage will be an important early test for a lot of guys. We’ll have details of that closed scrimmage later that day.

Texas golf coach John Fields made sure to get out to Austin Country Club on Wednesday to show a nice, Longhorns’ welcome home to Jordan Spieth, who helped UT and Fields win the 2012 national title. Spieth had to pull off some serious shot-making down the stretch on Wednesday to earn a “halved” match with Billy Horschel in his opening round of the WGC-Dell Matchplay.

Currently ranked No. 28 in the world, Spieth is the only Longhorn in the field at this year’s Dell Match Play, the world’s premier match play event featuring the planet’s top 64 players. And watch out for Fields’ Longhorns, who feature three stud freshmen — Cole Hammer and brothers Parker and Pierceson Coody — who are growing up before our eyes. In the fall, eighth-ranked Texas took down the nation’s No. 1 and No. 2 teams — Oklahoma and Oklahoma State — in the Big 12 Match Play Tournament.

Earlier this month, Fields’ Longhorns finished second by one stroke to No. 5 Arizona State at the Lamkin Classic at San Diego Country Club as Hammer, Coody and Coody all finished in the top 10 individual standings. The Big 12 Championship in late April at The Greenbrier in West Virginia could very well be a preview of the NCAA Championship this year.

Honestly fuck whoever they were quoting for that pro day section. What a douche

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

46 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

DE Charles Omenihu

WR Lil'Jordan Humphrey

LB Gary Johnson

LB/DE Breckyn Hager

TE Andrew Beck

CB Kris Boyd

CB Davante Davis

S/Nickel P.J. Locke III

DT Chris Nelson

LT Calvin Anderson

Great stuff in Eyes on safety battle and Kirko......

SPRING FOOTBALL NEWS AND NOTES

Five practices into spring football, we have a couple more injuries in the secondary that are just going to intensify the already sunlight-through-a-magnifying-glass-intense competition. Brandon Jones missing the spring after having surgery to repair effects from lingering ankle injuries suffered last season opened a door for Chris Brown, who is showing the kind of maturity, consistency and leadership that has pleasantly surprised coaches. “At safety, it’s his room right now,” one team source said.

Now, suddenly, Overshown has a chance to get a ton of reps and make some serious improvement. “When DeMarvion decides to run, he can really run,” Tom Herman said. “When he decides to hit, he can really hit.” The message: Go all in and don’t rely on incredible athletic ability to get by.  And let me tell you something: Having witnessed Overshown deciding to really run and hit on Monday, he looked like he was on fast-forward while the players around him were simply on play. Excited to see what he does with this opportunity — other than help build ridiculous depth at safety for the 2019 season.

The bottom line is if Ingram, Johnson and Whittington can all stay healthy this year, there’s no need to look at bringing in a grad transfer at running back. Saturday’s scrimmage will be an important early test for a lot of guys. We’ll have details of that closed scrimmage later that day.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Cap Hooked said:

Honestly fuck whoever they were quoting for that pro day section. What a douche

HIs Omenihu and Johnson takes were kind of douchey, but not necessarily wrong. Most everything else seemed pretty spot-on to me. Especially his DB takes.

• Like 3

7:30 - 16:20 On The Audible podcast, Stewart Mandel is traveling around the southwest, and talks about his stop in Austin. He was previously skeptic, but now is starting to drink the burnt orange Kool Aid - especially with Sam Ehlinger. 

(Conversely, he went to The Station and was not optimistic about aggy chances next year. 16:20 - 20:00)

https://audioboom.com/posts/7214663.mp3?modified=1553727401&source=rss&stitched=1

• Like 1

Spoiler

Saw this posted on pro-day thread and copied it here. I think Jordan Whittington at RB is where Stan Drayton will earn his money. I have seen Whittington's highlights and he is a great athlete but in my meager opinion, just does not run like a running back. At the HS level he just beats everyone with talent. I don't go wow look at that vision or man he can really negotiate small seems. Maybe he can learn to do it here very quickly because he is going to need it at this new level and we need him to be very good very quickly. Get it done Stan.

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Saw this posted on pro-day thread and copied it here. I think Jordan Whittington at RB is where Stan Drayton will earn his money. I have seen Whittington's highlights and he is a great athlete but in my meager opinion, just does not run like a running back. At the HS level he just beats everyone with talent. I don't go wow look at that vision or man he can really negotiate small seems. Maybe he can learn to do it here very quickly because he is going to need it at this new level and we need him to be very good very quickly. Get it done Stan.

Small Seems would be a good band name. If Kyler can sing, we might have a product here...

20 hours ago, TexasMan said:

7:30 - 16:20 On The Audible podcast, Stewart Mandel is traveling around the southwest, and talks about his stop in Austin. He was previously skeptic, but now is starting to drink the burnt orange Kool Aid - especially with Sam Ehlinger. 

(Conversely, he went to The Station and was not optimistic about aggy chances next year. 16:20 - 20:00)

https://audioboom.com/posts/7214663.mp3?modified=1553727401&source=rss&stitched=1

Hadn't seen this, in the podcast Mandel relates that Herman told him Ehlinger is one of only 6 P5 QBs w/ at least 15 rushing & 25 passing TDs in the last 20 years. The other 5 won the Heisman. 

IT team notes

By: IT Staff

You guys know the drill, it's zero-sum, which is an important detail this week as the offensive line is struggling with the defensive line. That's to be expected, but as you'll read, there's still plenty of optimism with Herb Hand's group.

QB

Not only does the offense start with Sam Ehlinger, but so does the whole team. I asked if he was missing his security blanket of Lil'Jordan Humphrey: "He looks as good as usual, picked up where he left off. He doesn't miss Humphrey. The wide receivers look damn good. When Sam does struggle it's because of the offensive line or something out of his control."

I mentioned we've been hearing from numerous sources that Roschon Johnson has impressed relative to his time on campus. "He throws a catchable ball, he's been accurate, and when he tucks to run gives the impression he's going to pick up yards. They can't hit him yet, though.

Could he actually win the back-up job this fall? "He certainly could."

Those mental attributes that are harder to pick up on tape than in person are beginning to show for Johnson. His biggest problem has been playing behind the second-string offensive line. Encouraging start.

RB

With the running backs we want to hear they're able to run inside. That's not just a question for Ingram, who preferred to bounce things outside, but also of Whittington. Unfortunately, that's tough to glean at this point as there just isn't much room between the tackles.

People continue to rave at Whittington. "He's a genetic freak." He's not just fast, he's faaaast." Whittington's hands have been on display and that's another attribute that will allow him to see the field immediately. 

Ingram looks the same as he did early last season before wear and tear caught up to him. Young has looked quick and in condition but his bread-and-butter of running inside isn't there. Young has struggled with his hands of late after showing ability out of the backfield as a freshman.

WR

We're hearing nothing but positives at the position. This is a much deeper group than last year with Brennan Eagles and Josh Moore primed to contribute. Epps has been fine too, though he's still better in the air than on the ground. That will forever be the case. 

Where as you might think this is zero-sum like the OL vs DL, we're not hearing as many negatives about the young corners. There are just a lot of good plays being made back and forth.

Getting Duverany back is also an added dimension. He got the best of Boyce this week thanks to his speed. If Ehlinger consistently hits that it'll open up the run game.

As the OL improves this position grouping will continue to progress. So far there are no signs of missing LJH but we'll see as the identity of the offense takes shape.

TE

Wiley is showing to be a willing, aggressive blocker, though he still has a lot to learn in that regard. But, the most important factor of becoming a good blocker when you're 6-foot-6, 245 pounds, is willingness. I think he plays next year.

Didn't hear anything new on Brewer. Things seem to be holding with him being average at this point.

OL

Junior Angilau, first-teamer. 

He's replaced Imade at LG to give them Cosmi-Angilau-Shackelford-Kerstetter-Okafor.

Shackelford is the unquestioned leader of the group. He's matured quite a bit in the last year. Individually he's getting good push when not up against Malcolm Roach.

Fortunately the struggles on the o-line are not based on individual ability. Individually they aren't lacking strength or athleticism (to at least be above average) but they are lacking cohesion. That's too be expected early in camp with new starters. They are struggling with unit assignments, with picking up blitzes, and with Roach regardless of where he lines up. 

This will get ironed out.

DL

Malcolm Roach is taking advantage of lack of cohesion is probably the best player on defense right now. They're lining him up at 4i as well as three-tech depending on the front.

Hearing good things on Graham, too, but he's not quite as explosive as Roach. 

This remains a deep position with varying skill sets. I'll be interested to hear about what new 3rd and long packages get cooked up. 

LB

Ossai and McCulloch are the two names consistently mentioned and appear to be entrenched starters. I want to see McCulloch with my own eyes but he's moving well and diagnosing fast. Both are obviously benefiting from the o-line's struggles.

Dele has looked 'ok' this week. Moving better than previously but not rangy. 

Tillman has shown solid athleticism and appears to be quick learner. If he continues to learn quick it will take that above average athleticism to the next level.

Caleb Johnson is still learning to trust his shoulder. I asked if he was a potential starter and heard back, "probably not immediately, but he's improving quickly and making some plays."

DB

The secondary is obviously banged up with BJ Foster the latest casualty with a concussion. We're not sure if he'll go in the scrimmage tomorrow and he's likely a 'game day' decision. He needs the mental reps at nickel but they don't want to expose him to re-injury.

Chris Brown has consistently been a positive and has the versatility for both safety and nickel if need be. Boundary safety is his best spot, though.

Overshown continues to show improvement as his knee finally gets right. He's probably the hardest hitter on the team, even more so than Foster. 

The corners have been solid but remember they're young and covering talented wide receivers being thrown to by one of the best quarterbacks in the nation. 

D'shawn Jamison's development has eased some depth concerns at corner. With incoming freshman Kenyatta Watson, who is on campus as we speak, they'll be five deep with guys they at least feel comfortable playing. 

Tomorrow they'll scrimmage and we'll try and post something ASAP to at least satiate the masses.

7 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I agree with you.  

He's a great athlete and could end up being a great running back,  but right now RB might not be his best position.  

It's good to have a player with his versatility that can play running back and probably at a high level even if it may not be his best position.