Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I hope the rumor that they're hearing is correct ...

Yeah, scary already having a neck/disk injury this early in DGF's career.... especially at a position that is so physical and requires more tackles and collisions than that of a DB.

3 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

This is really stupid and ignores the numerous reports that Texas is working on installing more two back packages.  You don't need 12 personnel to grind out the clock.  21 personnel (with one of the two RBs being Danny Young) serve that role just fine, when you use Young as a lead blocker and Sam as a constraint in the option game.

Wait just a second here, muchacho. Do you mean to tell me Ian Boyd is missing the forest for the trees because he’s too obsessively focused on scheme? 

Well, I am just shocked. Shocked I tell you!

• Like 2

Dunlap says that Coburn took all the first team DT reps during the open portion today. 

Personally, Coburn winning the job would make me feel better about our front 7. I'm not buying the Malcolm Roach and Jeffrey McCulloch hype, so Coburn winning the job (which implies he beat out the solid Wilbon) means there's a chance to have another breakout guy in the front 7 along with Ossai.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Dunlap says that Coburn took all the first team DT reps during the open portion today. 

Personally, Coburn winning the job would make me feel better about our front 7. I'm not buying the Malcolm Roach and Jeffrey McCulloch hype, so Coburn winning the job (which implies he beat out the solid Wilbon) means there's a chance to have another breakout guy in the front 7 along with Ossai.

if coburn isn’t on dialysis he will be starting.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach is a damn good football player and he's going to be great.

What did Roach do last year to show he's a damn good player? 

Also, maybe I'm misremembering this, but wasn't the narrative last year that Roach wasn't effective playing as a down lineman his sophomore year but that he'd be better moving back to LB? It wasn't his fault he was terrible at Mac/Rover to start the year but now it seems the opposite narrative is taking hold.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he'll be bad, but I don't see him as our third straight DLOY.

12 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

What did Roach do last year to show he's a damn good player? 

Also, maybe I'm misremembering this, but wasn't the narrative last year that Roach wasn't effective playing as a down lineman his sophomore year but that he'd be better moving back to LB? It wasn't his fault he was terrible at Mac/Rover to start the year but now it seems the opposite narrative is taking hold.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he'll be bad, but I don't see him as our third straight DLOY.

They tried Roach at LB for a short while in 2019, bad mistake by coaches.  Moved him back to DL and started playing better..... then Roach broke his foot so missed several games last year.  When he returned and was fully healthy, it made a huge difference for the defense..... 

(Roach played a few games not at 100% when he returned from injury..... still better than others available on depth chart.)

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

How about you start with telling us why the Roach hype isn’t real? Who do you see beating out Roach to start? 

3 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Wilbon is a Chris Nelson type nose - solid, can hold up at the point of attack and anchor the line, but isn't going to dart into the backfield and make a bunch of explosive plays. Coburn is has the size and strength to fill that roll, but with the potential to be closer to Poona or MB2 in terms of disruptive ability. He is really quick for a guy his size. If he is healthy it wouldn't surprise me at all if he takes the starting spot eventually , though I expect to see a rotation at NT regardless. If the coaches like what they see in Roach and Graham, and feel Wilbon and Coburn are close, I could see them keeping Coburn on the second team - not only do they tend to trust experience, they may also want to have a guy on that second DL who has impact ability.

Of course, as long as Coburn as healthy and the kidney stuff is really behind him then I think that is ultimately a win.

I'm also with you on McCulloch. He is a smart guy and a good athlete but he seems to not have a true position in this scheme. Hope I'm wrong there. Take that Roach bit to the unpopular opinions thread.

Also, I know stats are just surface level, especially for a DL, but they back up the anecdotal observation that Roach is a better, more impactful player as a DE. He put up better numbers after the injury, which was off the bench and against better competition.

Pre-Injury at starting LB:

Maryland: 2 tackles

Tulsa: 6 tackles (Tulsa though)

USC: 0 tackles (injury)

Post-Injury coming off the bench at DE:

WVU: 2 tackles, 1 TFL

Tech: No stats

ISU: 1 tackle, 1 QB hurry

KU: 4 tackles, 1 PBU

OU B12 Championship: 5 tackles

UGA Sugar Bowl: 4 tackles

21 minutes ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

How about you start with telling us why the Roach hype isn’t real? Who do you see beating out Roach to start? 

I don't see anybody beating him out to start. I think he'll start and be a solid player. But he's getting a lot of hype right now and people seem to be counting on him to make a big jump. I'm just saying I'm skeptical that he'll be anything more than solid. 

I know he was out of position and injured, but he wasn't very productive last season as a disruptor/pass rusher. After our pass rush was bad to start the season, that was supposed to be something he could provide after moving back to DE/returning from injury. But he only put up 1.5 TFLs all season. For reference, Charles put up 7 TFL/4 sacks and Poona had 5.5 TFLs in their junior seasons. Roach also won't benefit from Charles pulling blocks next year (although Ossai might if he comes on).

I just think he'll need to make a major leap in order to live up to the expectations of being the next Charles or one of the best players on the defense next year.

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Also, I know stats are just surface level, especially for a DL, but they back up the anecdotal observation that Roach is a better, more impactful player as a DE. He put up better numbers after the injury, which was off the bench and against better competition.

Pre-Injury at starting LB:

Maryland: 2 tackles

Tulsa: 6 tackles (Tulsa though)

USC: 0 tackles (injury)

Post-Injury coming off the bench at DE:

WVU: 2 tackles, 1 TFL

Tech: No stats

ISU: 1 tackle, 1 QB hurry

KU: 4 tackles, 1 PBU

OU B12 Championship: 5 tackles

UGA Sugar Bowl: 4 tackles

I definitely don't hold it against Malcolm for his play in the first couple games. I have no idea why the coaches thought he could play Mike/Rover. It was obvious after one series that he was going to be really bad there. I think that's what feeds some of my hesitancy about McCulloch, since he's also a B-Backer being moved to Rover. I liked a lot of what I saw from him last year but it feels like there are some similarities. Maybe slimming down will help him transition better.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I know he was out of position and injured, but he wasn't very productive last season as a disruptor/pass rusher. After our pass rush was bad to start the season, that was supposed to be something he could provide after moving back to DE/returning from injury

He got turf toe at the beginning of the season

31 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Credit to Yancy and the work Epps has put in.  Epps was a twig when he came to Texas.  He looks bigger than Collin.  Imagine next year with 6’7 Epps at X, 6’3 Eagles at Z, and 6’3 Bru at H.  We’re going to continue the tradition of punking ou DBs.

• Like 2

Where They Rank At Their Position - Best to Worst by Side of the Ball

DEFENSE

Sterns - S

Ossai - LB

Foster - DB

Graham - DE

Roach - DE

Jones - S

Cook - DB

Coburn - NT

Green - DB

McCullough - LB

Adeoye - LB

OFFENSE

Johnson - WR

Ingram - RB

Ehlinger - QB

McCoy - WR

Cosmi - T

Shackelford - C

Duvernay - WR

Braun - G

Kerstetter- T

Okafor - G

Brewer - TE

The defense is solid thru the 10th slot.

The offense isn’t as strong after the 5th slot and gets shakier after the 9th.

Overall, pretty pretty good. And depth at most positions, with some that will challenge for starting spots including J Moore, Whittingham, Overshown, Jamison, Imade, and C Johnson.

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

J Whit looks fucking quick at the end of that video.  I listened to Herman’s press conference where he said Whittington’s change of direction ability is elite.  You can see how quickly he cuts on that run.  If we’re not running screen plays for him in open space, then Herman needs to fire himself.... jk.... but seriously 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Where They Rank At Their Position - Best to Worst by Side of the Ball

DEFENSE

Sterns - S

Ossai - LB

Foster - DB

Graham - DE

Roach - DE

Jones - S

Cook - DB

Coburn - NT

Green - DB

McCullough - LB

Adeoye - LB

OFFENSE

Johnson - WR

Ingram - RB

Ehlinger - QB

McCoy - WR

Cosmi - T

Shackelford - C

Duvernay - WR

Braun - G

Kerstetter- T

Okafor - G

Brewer - TE

The defense is solid thru the 10th slot.

The offense isn’t as strong after the 5th slot and gets shakier after the 9th.

Overall, pretty pretty good. And depth at most positions, with some that will challenge for starting spots including J Moore, Whittingham, Overshown, Jamison, Imade, and C Johnson.

I would put Jones, Roach, and Ossai above Sterns right now.  Caden is a badass but he played poorly in a few games taking some bad angles after ou.  On offense you have to put Sam at 1.  He goes down and I doubt you will see the same production with Thompson under center.  I’d put Sam and CJ at 1,2 and then Parker Braun and Cosmi.  Braun is a 1st team all ACC guard that has very good tape against some first round DL.  He was also all conference the year before.  Not sure I’d put him that low.  I don’t think any of our OL have achieved 1st team anything in the big 12. Just my opinion but it’s fun to debate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Credit to Yancy and the work Epps has put in.  Epps was a twig when he came to Texas.  He looks bigger than Collin.  Imagine next year with 6’7 Epps at X, 6’3 Eagles at Z, and 6’3 Bru at H.  We’re going to continue the tradition of punking ou DBs.

Agreed. Had to do a triple take because I couldn’t believe that was Epps.