Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

8 hours ago, Zavala said:

Yup. Overshown didnt wanna switch to Joker though, so we'll call him Dime-back or whatever so hes not a "linebacker".

Also, if you need to be bigger in run game, instead of worrying about how to play a 3-3-5 instead of the 3-2-6... just run a damn 4-2-6. We've got a little more talent at DL then we have had for a while so use it

4-2-6 would probably be real tough to score on. Especially if Orlando could pull it off

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yup. Overshown didnt wanna switch to Joker though, so we'll call him Dime-back or whatever so hes not a "linebacker".
Also, if you need to be bigger in run game, instead of worrying about how to play a 3-3-5 instead of the 3-2-6... just run a damn 4-2-6. We've got a little more talent at DL then we have had for a while so use it

4-2-6? Why not just run a 5-2-7?
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Cap Hooked said:

On Jalen Green too. I’m gettin nervous about having all this fresh blood on defense especially considering Big 12

A 6'6 WR with good hands will get the best of a lot of really good dbs. No one in the conference has what we have. 

6 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

A 6'6 WR with good hands will get the best of a lot of really good dbs. No one in the conference has what we have. 

Ehhh....that would be a good excuse in a jump ball situation. But this looked more like Green being out of position, which is how you get sliced and diced in this conference.

20 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

He was a TE prospect that ran a 5 second 40. He shouldn’t be beating our CBS that badly downfield. 

Theres plenty of elite WRs in the Big 12 that would be tougher than Epps to cover on a post.

Edited by Burt Macklin

42 minutes ago, Nope said:

Ehhh....that would be a good excuse in a jump ball situation. But this looked more like Green being out of position, which is how you get sliced and diced in this conference.

Probably a blown coverage. And it may not have even been Green's man. I expect fewer and fewer blown coverages as we move into the fall.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nope said:

what the fuck are the coaches even doing.  we need jalen green starting and he can’t even keep track of his spacing.  this is the type of bullshit that keeps up from competing for titles. 

29 minutes ago, futureman said:

what the fuck are the coaches even doing.  we need jalen green starting and he can’t even keep track of his spacing.  this is the type of bullshit that keeps up from competing for titles. 

Yeah I hate it when we keep up competing from titles too.

Edited by Burt Macklin

IT scrimmage notes

Despite missing Sam Ehlinger during last week's Saturday scrimmage, the offense came out on top. This week, with the star quarterback returning, the offense wasn't just better, it was downright good. Zero-sum caveat applies, of course.

The defense, especially the injury laden secondary had its struggles. For the most part, a win on this day was holding the offense to field goals, something it managed a few times.

I think Dicker went 3/3 on his attempts but I'm not sure of the distance.

QUARTERBACK

Ehlinger was always going to improve, but this offense is more dangerous and balanced than it was a year ago. Encouragingly, the young quarterbacks made their share of plays too. They still have a long way to go but the season opener isn't exactly tomorrow.

"Sam makes every one around him better." Not exactly news but I'm expecting him to be a bigger multiplier this year with the offensive skill players returning the favor. Virtuous cycles, ftw.

"The quarterbacks all looked better. Made lots of perfect passes against 1 v 1. Multiple throws on the sideline or in the red zone that were dimes."

"Sam has to stay healthy first. Team stays relatively healthy they will repeat last year I think."

"Roschon hit Bru on a hitch then came right back and threw a TD to Epps on a deep post. Pass pro was really good and the DB fell down."

"TD to Bru on a fade. Thompson was getting hit as he threw (Tope Imade got beat by Moro Ojomo)." Great to hear Thompson hanging in the pocket and delivering.

"They used a lot of quick game with the ones and moved the ball pretty easily." The quick game, especially with these backs and receivers, is where I think Roschon can play sufficiently early on if pressed into action.

"They ran Sam some outside with a quick whistle and he was picking up yards. It would have been more yards in a real game." Roschon also had a 10-yard gain on the ground.

"Thompson worked some with the ones."

"Roschon threw a pick then knocked the **** out of the guy." I love it. To me that tells me he already belongs.

RUNNING BACK

It isn't the deepest group but it's the most talented group of running backs on campus in a long time. Kirk Johnson was out with his stinger. I didn't hear Daniel Young's name. If Saturday is any indication, the running backs are going to take the offense to another level as receivers.

"Whittington is pushing all the other backs because he's so damn good."

"Ingram caught a swing screen for a big gain."

"Ingram had a long catch from Thompson. And another when he was matched up on Adeoye."

"Whittington had a long catch on Thompson." They're going to get a lot of free yards with the running backs in the passing game.

"Whittington might be the best back."

WIDE RECEIVER

The offense is humming right along even without Collin Johnson. Others have stepped up and it's a good group, top to bottom. Some unheralded guys got in the mix this weekend. I'm expecting to see receivers rotated much more like in 2017 than 2018.

"They have some kids coming in this summer on O that can play early as well. Bru looks good. They have some weaponry for sure."

Al'vonte Woodard had a good day with at least three receptions on diverse routes: a post, a dig, and a hitch. It's easy to forget about him with the talent at the position and the fact that he red-shirted but he's competing. He even worked with the ones with Ehlinger on the throwing end of a couple of those passes.

"Bru had a nice sliding catch on a post from Thompson."

"Josh Moore looked explosive every time he touched the ball."

"Eagles had a big catch on the sideline then got hammered by Foster." 

"Bru had at least one long catch and run."

"Pouncey caught a TD from Ehlinger on a slot fade."

"Pouncey also caught a long deep post from Thompson but it was against a walk-on."

"Epps had one where he straight up took the ball away from a DB." As he does.

TIGHT END

These guys all have strengths and weaknesses to game plan around, but right now Brewer is easily the most complete.

"Brewer is making a lot of plays lately." Indeed, he had a good week all the way around. 

"They like Brewer as the YTE and I could see Wiley or Epps [if they wanted to go to 12 personnel]." Epps is still a receiver but they could move him around some depending on play design and personnel. You don't want to sub if you don't have to.

OFFENSIVE LINE

The offense sounded scheme driven rather than the OL playing at a high level, but they didn't play poorly. As we wrote in the Humidor, the staff is optimistic the first 7 guys in August will be ready to go. They'd like to add some names to the current trusted players.

"Reese Moore worked at LT. Christian Jones at RT. With the twos." Tyler Johnson also worked at LT.

"Every other series with the ones Kerstetter and Okafor switched positions." This is something they did much of last week. We still strongly believe Kerstetter is better suited for tackle and Okafor for guard.

"Jones had a false start and Herb Hand lost it." 

"The OL had its share of penalties."

DEFENSIVE LINE

It doesn't sound like the defense was overly aggressive with blitz calls. They did tinker with Dime some and threw some interesting looks out there.

"They played some even front (a lot more than previously) with a 2i away from the running back and 3-tech back-side. That's the even front way of stopping inside zone."

"Defensive line will be as good with good depth but no superstars."

"Graham had a sack on Sam with a lot of pressure coming from everywhere. That one forced a field goal. Kerstetter got beat."

"Mpagi had a tackle for loss."

"Chisholm is a good looking athlete." 

LINEBACKER

It's the same old story here, but it isn't a terrible one with continued praise of McCulloch and Ossai. Now they just need to find a third and bolster depth. As they find the third linebacker depth will naturally improve through competition. 

"Shark and Ossai will be good." We still haven't heard a real negative on McCulloch. 

It was mentioned that it's unfortunate Overshown either doesn't want to play linebacker or isn't playing there. They're still figuring out who the second best off-the-ball linebacker is.

McCulloch is also versed at Mac but probably more comfortable at Rover where they've been repping him the most. If McCulloch is at Rover it means Dele or Tillman is the second best linebacker. If he's at Mac it means Caleb Johnson is the second best. Right now that's TBD but with McCulloch at Rover more often than not.

I asked about Ossai. "He had one play where he covered Brewer step for step. He's looked better before, though. First team D didn't get much pressure on the day."

"Caleb Johnson had a sack." If Johnson comes along that would help things greatly as he add some needed athleticism to the box. He's on a strong trend-line the last month and a half. He's not overly physical but he's by no means lacking intent.

DEFENSIVE BACK

With so many guys not participating it's hard to add newsworthy commentary. The entire defense will look different with Brandon Jones, Caden Sterns, and Anthony Cook. 

"Secondary is great if everyone is healthy."

Last week we mentioned Jalen Green was running away with the starting field CB spot and right on time he was one of the defensive bright spots on Saturday. He was blanketing Duvernay on out and ups, which indicates his speed and loose hips. "He also blanketed Duve on a back-shoulder." That's a tough route to defend. 

"First D guys were Foster at S, Thompson at N, Estell at S, Jamison and Green at CB, and Coburn at NT."

"Overshown almost murdered Duvernay on a quick screen."

One more week of practice culminating in the glorified scrimmage. Friday will be the most telling practice this week.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT scrimmage notes

Hide contents

Despite missing Sam Ehlinger during last week's Saturday scrimmage, the offense came out on top. This week, with the star quarterback returning, the offense wasn't just better, it was downright good. Zero-sum caveat applies, of course.

The defense, especially the injury laden secondary had its struggles. For the most part, a win on this day was holding the offense to field goals, something it managed a few times.

I think Dicker went 3/3 on his attempts but I'm not sure of the distance.

QUARTERBACK

Ehlinger was always going to improve, but this offense is more dangerous and balanced than it was a year ago. Encouragingly, the young quarterbacks made their share of plays too. They still have a long way to go but the season opener isn't exactly tomorrow.

"Sam makes every one around him better." Not exactly news but I'm expecting him to be a bigger multiplier this year with the offensive skill players returning the favor. Virtuous cycles, ftw.

"The quarterbacks all looked better. Made lots of perfect passes against 1 v 1. Multiple throws on the sideline or in the red zone that were dimes."

"Sam has to stay healthy first. Team stays relatively healthy they will repeat last year I think."

"Roschon hit Bru on a hitch then came right back and threw a TD to Epps on a deep post. Pass pro was really good and the DB fell down."

"TD to Bru on a fade. Thompson was getting hit as he threw (Tope Imade got beat by Moro Ojomo)." Great to hear Thompson hanging in the pocket and delivering.

"They used a lot of quick game with the ones and moved the ball pretty easily." The quick game, especially with these backs and receivers, is where I think Roschon can play sufficiently early on if pressed into action.

"They ran Sam some outside with a quick whistle and he was picking up yards. It would have been more yards in a real game." Roschon also had a 10-yard gain on the ground.

"Thompson worked some with the ones."

"Roschon threw a pick then knocked the **** out of the guy." I love it. To me that tells me he already belongs.

RUNNING BACK

It isn't the deepest group but it's the most talented group of running backs on campus in a long time. Kirk Johnson was out with his stinger. I didn't hear Daniel Young's name. If Saturday is any indication, the running backs are going to take the offense to another level as receivers.

"Whittington is pushing all the other backs because he's so damn good."

"Ingram caught a swing screen for a big gain."

"Ingram had a long catch from Thompson. And another when he was matched up on Adeoye."

"Whittington had a long catch on Thompson." They're going to get a lot of free yards with the running backs in the passing game.

"Whittington might be the best back."

WIDE RECEIVER

The offense is humming right along even without Collin Johnson. Others have stepped up and it's a good group, top to bottom. Some unheralded guys got in the mix this weekend. I'm expecting to see receivers rotated much more like in 2017 than 2018.

"They have some kids coming in this summer on O that can play early as well. Bru looks good. They have some weaponry for sure."

Al'vonte Woodard had a good day with at least three receptions on diverse routes: a post, a dig, and a hitch. It's easy to forget about him with the talent at the position and the fact that he red-shirted but he's competing. He even worked with the ones with Ehlinger on the throwing end of a couple of those passes.

"Bru had a nice sliding catch on a post from Thompson."

"Josh Moore looked explosive every time he touched the ball."

"Eagles had a big catch on the sideline then got hammered by Foster." 

"Bru had at least one long catch and run."

"Pouncey caught a TD from Ehlinger on a slot fade."

"Pouncey also caught a long deep post from Thompson but it was against a walk-on."

"Epps had one where he straight up took the ball away from a DB." As he does.

TIGHT END

These guys all have strengths and weaknesses to game plan around, but right now Brewer is easily the most complete.

"Brewer is making a lot of plays lately." Indeed, he had a good week all the way around. 

"They like Brewer as the YTE and I could see Wiley or Epps [if they wanted to go to 12 personnel]." Epps is still a receiver but they could move him around some depending on play design and personnel. You don't want to sub if you don't have to.

OFFENSIVE LINE

The offense sounded scheme driven rather than the OL playing at a high level, but they didn't play poorly. As we wrote in the Humidor, the staff is optimistic the first 7 guys in August will be ready to go. They'd like to add some names to the current trusted players.

"Reese Moore worked at LT. Christian Jones at RT. With the twos." Tyler Johnson also worked at LT.

"Every other series with the ones Kerstetter and Okafor switched positions." This is something they did much of last week. We still strongly believe Kerstetter is better suited for tackle and Okafor for guard.

"Jones had a false start and Herb Hand lost it." 

"The OL had its share of penalties."

DEFENSIVE LINE

It doesn't sound like the defense was overly aggressive with blitz calls. They did tinker with Dime some and threw some interesting looks out there.

"They played some even front (a lot more than previously) with a 2i away from the running back and 3-tech back-side. That's the even front way of stopping inside zone."

"Defensive line will be as good with good depth but no superstars."

"Graham had a sack on Sam with a lot of pressure coming from everywhere. That one forced a field goal. Kerstetter got beat."

"Mpagi had a tackle for loss."

"Chisholm is a good looking athlete." 

LINEBACKER

It's the same old story here, but it isn't a terrible one with continued praise of McCulloch and Ossai. Now they just need to find a third and bolster depth. As they find the third linebacker depth will naturally improve through competition. 

"Shark and Ossai will be good." We still haven't heard a real negative on McCulloch. 

It was mentioned that it's unfortunate Overshown either doesn't want to play linebacker or isn't playing there. They're still figuring out who the second best off-the-ball linebacker is.

McCulloch is also versed at Mac but probably more comfortable at Rover where they've been repping him the most. If McCulloch is at Rover it means Dele or Tillman is the second best linebacker. If he's at Mac it means Caleb Johnson is the second best. Right now that's TBD but with McCulloch at Rover more often than not.

I asked about Ossai. "He had one play where he covered Brewer step for step. He's looked better before, though. First team D didn't get much pressure on the day."

"Caleb Johnson had a sack." If Johnson comes along that would help things greatly as he add some needed athleticism to the box. He's on a strong trend-line the last month and a half. He's not overly physical but he's by no means lacking intent.

DEFENSIVE BACK

With so many guys not participating it's hard to add newsworthy commentary. The entire defense will look different with Brandon Jones, Caden Sterns, and Anthony Cook. 

"Secondary is great if everyone is healthy."

Last week we mentioned Jalen Green was running away with the starting field CB spot and right on time he was one of the defensive bright spots on Saturday. He was blanketing Duvernay on out and ups, which indicates his speed and loose hips. "He also blanketed Duve on a back-shoulder." That's a tough route to defend. 

"First D guys were Foster at S, Thompson at N, Estell at S, Jamison and Green at CB, and Coburn at NT."

"Overshown almost murdered Duvernay on a quick screen."

One more week of practice culminating in the glorified scrimmage. Friday will be the most telling practice this week.

Ingram adding weight and Whittington bearing an EE is going to add so much to this offense. I expect to see a lot more explosive plays from the RBs this year. Hopefully those two can stay healthy.

I think Coburn’s gonna need to come on for the DL to be a plus unit. Maybe Ojomo can add some disruptive plays too. Roach and Graham will probably be assignment sound, but I’m skeptical they’ll be much more than that. I know the staff is talking up Roach, but I’m skeptical on him being a game changer next year. Herman talked up the OL in 2017 and Hager in 2018, so who the staff hypes in the offseason doesn’t mean much.

I’d like to see Johnson at Rover and McCulloch at MAC by the time conference play starts. McCulloch is a little slow for Rover, and if he’s at Rover, we likely have a guy who’s way too slow at Mac. LB depth is almost nonexistent, but at least we can create depth by using the S group in conference.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

I think RBs and QBs have stripes so the staff can tell where they are looking when watching film.

Very true, but his stripe is still red. If his freshman stripe had been taken off it would be black. 

• Like 1