McCoy - WR

Cosmi - T

Shackelford - C

Duvernay - WR

Braun - G

Kerstetter- T

Okafor - G

Brewer - TE

The defense is solid thru the 10th slot.

The offense isn’t as strong after the 5th slot and gets shakier after the 9th.

Overall, pretty pretty good. And depth at most positions, with some that will challenge for starting spots including J Moore, Whittingham, Overshown, Jamison, Imade, and C Johnson.

says who?  you?

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

when-nick-young-the-basketball-player-me

no shit. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Ya Ehlinger probably should be at #1. I just keep having this feeling that he overachieved last year, which is probably a wrong feeling.

QBs very rarely peak in their sophomore season. 

I find it hard to believe he doesn't outdo himself this year - assuming he can stay healthy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Where They Rank At Their Position - Best to Worst by Side of the Ball

DEFENSE

Sterns - S

Ossai - LB

Foster - DB

Graham - DE

Roach - DE

Jones - S

Cook - DB

Coburn - NT

Green - DB

McCullough - LB

Adeoye - LB

OFFENSE

Johnson - WR

Ingram - RB

Ehlinger - QB

McCoy - WR

Cosmi - T

Shackelford - C

Duvernay - WR

Braun - G

Kerstetter- T

Okafor - G

Brewer - TE

The defense is solid thru the 10th slot.

The offense isn’t as strong after the 5th slot and gets shakier after the 9th.

Overall, pretty pretty good. And depth at most positions, with some that will challenge for starting spots including J Moore, Whittingham, Overshown, Jamison, Imade, and C Johnson.

Jones that low and McCoy above Cosmi are crazy

My version (projections for 2019)

Offense: Collin, Sam, Cosmi, Braun, Ingram, Duvernay, Shack, Moore, Kerstetter, Okafor, Brewer

Defense: Jones, Foster, Sterns, Ossai, Cook, Roach, Graham, Wilbon, Green, McCulloch, Adeoye

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

QBs very rarely peak in their sophomore season. 

I find it hard to believe he doesn't outdo himself this year - assuming he can stay healthy. 

there was a time where our players were at their best as freshmen, then regressed under our coaches.  i really hope that's in the past.

14 hours ago, futureman said:

mostly true but jevan snead. 

hard to really truly evaluate js.  He got one game at Texas (@KSU, when Colt got the stinger on an early game qb dive , you would think we would have  learned our lesson that night), then transferred to OlePiss.

43 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

hard to really truly evaluate js.  He got one game at Texas (@KSU, when Colt got the stinger on an early game qb dive , you would think we would have  learned our lesson that night), then transferred to OlePiss.

He was referring to his time at OlePiss.  He had a good sophomore season leading a lot to project him as a future first rounder.  He was dog shit his JR season came out early and went undrafted.

TFB Wednesday practice notes: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-weekend-april-5th-7th/

Spring Practice Notes | April 3rd
– CJ Vogel

Practice was back in session, and we have some notes for ya!

OFFENSE

The first time offensive line remained unchanged, however there was a small change on the second team.

First Team:

• LT: Sam Cosmi
  • LG: Tope Imade
  • Center: Zach Shackleford
  • RG: Derek Kerstetter
  • RT: Denzel Okafor

Second Team:

• LT: Tyler Johnson
  • LG: Junior Angilau
  • C: Rafiti Ghirmai
  • RG: JP Urquidez
  • RT: Christian Jones

No Reese Moore on the two deep, who was replaced by early enrollee Tyler Johnson at LT.

The offensive line was working the crowther sled which emphasizes half-man leverage. Coach Hand emphasizes the half-man leverage technique in every practice we’ve seen so far this spring and is a big part of his coaching philosophy. The OL did this for the majority of the time we were out there.

Christian Jones was out there working with the 2s. He was sporting an ankle brace, and only participated in non-contact individual drills.

Running backs

The RBs were as expected, however were without Kirk Johnson.

1. Keaontay Ingram
  2. Daniel Young
  3. Jordan Whittington

Johnson is recovering from a stinger he suffered in practice yesterday. He is not expected to miss much time.

During the media time, the RBs were working with Corby Meekins doing slot WR routes with Josh Moore. Hands out of the backfield will not be a problem for anybody Texas puts back there. Keaontay Ingram made a few diving grabs during the drill.

WIDE RECEIVERS

The Texas WR core was back to full strength Wednesday. Collin Johnson was a participating in 1v1 drills, though was non-contact and Devin Duvernay was a fully participant as well.

John Burt is still at Track & Field practice for the time being.

Bru McCoy, who had been dealing with a shoulder injury, was seen stretching by himself and a team trainer for the first half of the individual drills. However the good news is McCoy did rejoin the WR group for routes on air.

Defensive notes are scarce since the defense doesn’t go into a full team-like drill while media is there.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Keondre Coburn and Gerald Wilbon ran together as the two nose guards for the first team defensive line. Coburn is completely healthy and was participating in all drills that we saw this morning.

Behind Coburn and Wilbon is DeAndre Christmas-Giles and Jamari Chisholm ran as the twos on the interior.

First Team DE:

1. Malcolm Roach
  2. Ta’Quon Graham

Second Team DE:

1. Moro Ojomo
  2. Jacoby Jones

LINEBACKERS

With De’Gabriel Floyd done for the spring, the already-thin linebacking core gets even thinner.

Early enrollee Marcus Tillman was in the two deep at LB and was joined by JUCO transfer Caleb Johnson. The two are having to catch up to speed very quickly with the lack of depth at the position so far.

• Sidenote on Tillman: He looks the part so far. Very impressive physically for an early enrollee. He was rather a forgotten guy on a list of impressive recruits in the last class, but there’s no doubt he can contribute next year if need be.

The starters of course remain the same in Ayodele Adeoye and Jeffrey McCulloch.

B-Backer:

First team: Joseph Ossai

Second team: Byron Vaughns

SECONDARY

BJ Foster, who suffered a concussion last week, was back on the field Wednesday. Foster was joined by Montrell Estelle as the two deep safeties with Josh Thompson taking the reps at nickel.

DeMarvion Overshown was with the second team at safety, however when the defensive backs went into a route recognition drill with six DBs on the field, Overshown was slotted in at one of the down safety positions.

At corner, the two starters were D’Shawn Jamison and Jalen Green, a flip-flop from the usual Kobe Boyce and Anthony Cook that we had seen so far this spring.

• Cook is still working back to 100% from a hamstring issue.

Donovan Duvernay and walk-on Turner Symonds topped out the rest of the corner group.

It’s worth noting that Jason Washington got onto Kobe Boyce turning a Cover 2 release drill where the corners practiced funneling the WR inside while flipping their backs to the sideline and shuffling back into coverage. It wasn’t anything super serious, but none of the other CBs received the criticism from a technique perspective.

Edited by Machinator

2 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

I’m starting to think that Whittington is going to be a difference maker this year. We haven’t had a great receiving RB in quite a while but it sounds like he has the skill set.

Reminds me that Jamaal was referred to as having "hands of stone" after coming out of Texas.  He later become one of the better pass catching backs in the NFL.

Tre was serviceable as a pass catcher last year, but I totally agree, having several backs who can catch out of the backfield will be huge. 

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

there was a time where our players were at their best as freshmen, then regressed under our coaches.  i really hope that's in the past.

There was a time when Surly thought a freshman was as good as he was gonna be. Wait, that still happens on here

9 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

Did you watch the 2018 season?

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Hope that is true for other LBs that we will be playing, not just our LBs in practice. 

Seeing as that Whittington was still a top 50 recruit when people thought he was going to play slot wr, it’s safe to say just about very LB in the country would have trouble covering him. 

36 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Did you watch the 2018 season?

Seeing as that Whittington was still a top 50 recruit when people thought he was going to play slot wr, it’s safe to say just about very LB in the country would have trouble covering him. 

Whittington at RB and Smith at slot will create tons of mismatches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

We haven’t had a great receiving RB in quite a while but it sounds like he has the skill set.

I was gonna say Tre Watson did okay, but then I looked up his stats. We didn't utilize him in the passing game nearly as much as my memory makes it.

Whittington should definitely change that trend, though, no question.

IT team notes

In the name of expediency I'm going to bullet the information. Insert your own biting wit and analysis.

- Some robust competition is taking place at guard/tackle and Mac. I know I've been saying that Ayodele Adeoye is looking solid but today they tinkered with Jeffrey McCulloch at Mac and Caleb Johnson at Rover. Johnson and Adeoye both got reps with the ones with McCulloch never leaving the field but working both off-the-ball spots. Johnson is athletic and he's starting to play athletically because he's processing better. There's a real acclimation period for many Jucos -- Gary Johnson had this issue too -- but he's climatizing. I was asked yesterday if I was worried about linebacker depth. No. I do have some dwindling concerns over front-line quality but I'm being won over by McCulloch.

- Speaking of, a former teammate of his who would never steer me wrong said of the Shark, "Very impressive. Versatility is showing. I like how he's growing." This mysterious person was at the scrimmage last Saturday. Someone who attended practice this week said McCulloch looked springy and he didn't mean in the @Vasherized Easter ensemble way. I believe springy is one notch below bouncy so that'll work. McCulloch pick-sixed Ehlinger today after Sam was rushed and bumped by the d-line. But McCulloch can be too smart for his own good. Ehlinger went right back to the play McCulloch got him on and hit Jordan Whittington for a nice gain. Overall Shark seems to be earning that nickname and if what we're hearing continues it could be the story of camp.

- That Whittington gain was a split zone RPO out of a two-back set. They ran that look a lot. PYBD. They also went empty with Whittington in the slot and hit him for a big gain. PYBU. Imo, this offense is going to get a ton of free yardage next season.

- Back to the guard/tackle rotation. Derek Kerstetter worked at tackle with Denzel Okafor going to guard. Results were as anticipated. Can Kerstetter play guard at a high level? "No, he can be Elijah Rodriguez though." Can Okafor be good at guard? "He's better than Kerstetter at guard." And Kerstetter is better than Oak at tackle? "Yes, Kerstetter is too easy to toss around." I even told the source he amounts to confirmation bias because these are long-held beliefs of mine but apparently those beliefs are accurate and shared.

- While we wonder how the o-line will shake out I've learned the staff is very optimistic with regards to the first team. They're confident this will be a good unit come August. Second team is a different matter entirely.

- My evaluation of Tyler Johnson said he would need time. We heard the staff was going to throw him in the fire early and expected him to play. The staff's evaluation is now Tyler Johnson will need some time. He looks the part and is athletic but he has a long way to go technically. Johnson repped some at LT today behind Samuel Cosmi.

- I was asked about Moro Ojomo the other day. He was brought up unsolicited today as looking like he wants some snaps. With the way UT subs lines being the fourth DE is important and right now Ojomo is battling with Marqez Bimage. Jacoby Jones is looking like the #3. Ojomo did limp off today with probably a rolled ankle.

- Jones continues to impress and I can't wait to see if they get a little more creative with him and Ossai on the field together. Jones had a sack today.

- They ran more odd than even front today but I guess it's more telling that they're running even front. They really like Ossai on the edge and I can't emphasize that enough. "He just gets off blocks. He doesn't to it conventionally or with good technique, he's just too quick and violent. If they latch on he can get in trouble but if he has any space to work with he's impossible to contain." I asked if this is a function of going up against Okafor. "It doesn't matter who he goes up against."

- Luke Brockermeyer got his helmet stripe pulled today. That's an acknowledgement and appreciation by the staff for his work. Luke has stepped up this spring along with the other walk-on linebacker, Cort Jaquess. Not stars but solid players who are better than scout-teamers.

- Along those lines, Jarrett Smith has been asked about a few times. The walk-on had fantastic high school tape and is one of the twitchiest guys on the team. One bystander wondered if he should get a look on kick return. I bet he gets some carries in his career but likely to close out games. Still, if he's your walk-on your overall talent level is high.

- Returning punts today was Whittington, Josh Moore, and D'shawn Jamison. I can't remember a more dangerous group of fair-catchers. It will get more dangerous when Jake Smith arrives. Jamison is getting tons of positive reviews at DB but one glaring negative bites him in practice -- lack of length. "He's always in position, it's just tough for him to make the play." Not a lot of teams can throw waves of 6-foot-3 or taller receivers at him. This will make him better. "In high school he was the fastest guy on the field. It was noticeable. It's still noticeable." They can work with that.

- I heard a lot of good things about Cade Brewer this week. Most of you probably saw the tweet of his one-handed catch but he was making the routine catch/block this week. He looked particularly good blocking outside zone.

- Brennan Eagles has had a good camp but he had some drops this week. He tends to get down on himself which seems to be inherent to wide receivers. Not a concern, really, but maybe worth a watch down the road. His good blocking is a constant and this staff will reward him for that.

- Another legitimate competition is defensive tackle. It doesn't matter as much because they'll rotate but Keondre Coburn is pushing Gerald Wilbon. Coburn has noticably more upside than Wilbon but isn't quite as seasoned. His stamina could improve too but he's the guy they'll want in on 4th and short. Both are doing a good job of keeping the linebackers clean.

- Even DeMarvion Overshown has taken reps at nickel this spring but it sounds like Josh Thompson is still the leader in the clubhouse. BJ Foster's on the back-nine though. I asked a source if it's as simple as Thompson is better in coverage and BJ is better at the point of attack? "Yes. BJ's best position is boundary safety or Joker." Chris Brown also reps there. They have options but they're still figuring out the best one.

Today would be a good day for any questions you might have as I have notes scattered all over the place and probably forgot some things.

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT team notes

Hide contents

In the name of expediency I'm going to bullet the information. Insert your own biting wit and analysis.

- Some robust competition is taking place at guard/tackle and Mac. I know I've been saying that Ayodele Adeoye is looking solid but today they tinkered with Jeffrey McCulloch at Mac and Caleb Johnson at Rover. Johnson and Adeoye both got reps with the ones with McCulloch never leaving the field but working both off-the-ball spots. Johnson is athletic and he's starting to play athletically because he's processing better. There's a real acclimation period for many Jucos -- Gary Johnson had this issue too -- but he's climatizing. I was asked yesterday if I was worried about linebacker depth. No. I do have some dwindling concerns over front-line quality but I'm being won over by McCulloch.

- Speaking of, a former teammate of his who would never steer me wrong said of the Shark, "Very impressive. Versatility is showing. I like how he's growing." This mysterious person was at the scrimmage last Saturday. Someone who attended practice this week said McCulloch looked springy and he didn't mean in the @Vasherized Easter ensemble way. I believe springy is one notch below bouncy so that'll work. McCulloch pick-sixed Ehlinger today after Sam was rushed and bumped by the d-line. But McCulloch can be too smart for his own good. Ehlinger went right back to the play McCulloch got him on and hit Jordan Whittington for a nice gain. Overall Shark seems to be earning that nickname and if what we're hearing continues it could be the story of camp.

- That Whittington gain was a split zone RPO out of a two-back set. They ran that look a lot. PYBD. They also went empty with Whittington in the slot and hit him for a big gain. PYBU. Imo, this offense is going to get a ton of free yardage next season.

- Back to the guard/tackle rotation. Derek Kerstetter worked at tackle with Denzel Okafor going to guard. Results were as anticipated. Can Kerstetter play guard at a high level? "No, he can be Elijah Rodriguez though." Can Okafor be good at guard? "He's better than Kerstetter at guard." And Kerstetter is better than Oak at tackle? "Yes, Kerstetter is too easy to toss around." I even told the source he amounts to confirmation bias because these are long-held beliefs of mine but apparently those beliefs are accurate and shared.

- While we wonder how the o-line will shake out I've learned the staff is very optimistic with regards to the first team. They're confident this will be a good unit come August. Second team is a different matter entirely.

- My evaluation of Tyler Johnson said he would need time. We heard the staff was going to throw him in the fire early and expected him to play. The staff's evaluation is now Tyler Johnson will need some time. He looks the part and is athletic but he has a long way to go technically. Johnson repped some at LT today behind Samuel Cosmi.

- I was asked about Moro Ojomo the other day. He was brought up unsolicited today as looking like he wants some snaps. With the way UT subs lines being the fourth DE is important and right now Ojomo is battling with Marqez Bimage. Jacoby Jones is looking like the #3. Ojomo did limp off today with probably a rolled ankle.

- Jones continues to impress and I can't wait to see if they get a little more creative with him and Ossai on the field together. Jones had a sack today.

- They ran more odd than even front today but I guess it's more telling that they're running even front. They really like Ossai on the edge and I can't emphasize that enough. "He just gets off blocks. He doesn't to it conventionally or with good technique, he's just too quick and violent. If they latch on he can get in trouble but if he has any space to work with he's impossible to contain." I asked if this is a function of going up against Okafor. "It doesn't matter who he goes up against."

- Luke Brockermeyer got his helmet stripe pulled today. That's an acknowledgement and appreciation by the staff for his work. Luke has stepped up this spring along with the other walk-on linebacker, Cort Jaquess. Not stars but solid players who are better than scout-teamers.

- Along those lines, Jarrett Smith has been asked about a few times. The walk-on had fantastic high school tape and is one of the twitchiest guys on the team. One bystander wondered if he should get a look on kick return. I bet he gets some carries in his career but likely to close out games. Still, if he's your walk-on your overall talent level is high.

- Returning punts today was Whittington, Josh Moore, and D'shawn Jamison. I can't remember a more dangerous group of fair-catchers. It will get more dangerous when Jake Smith arrives. Jamison is getting tons of positive reviews at DB but one glaring negative bites him in practice -- lack of length. "He's always in position, it's just tough for him to make the play." Not a lot of teams can throw waves of 6-foot-3 or taller receivers at him. This will make him better. "In high school he was the fastest guy on the field. It was noticeable. It's still noticeable." They can work with that.

- I heard a lot of good things about Cade Brewer this week. Most of you probably saw the tweet of his one-handed catch but he was making the routine catch/block this week. He looked particularly good blocking outside zone.

- Brennan Eagles has had a good camp but he had some drops this week. He tends to get down on himself which seems to be inherent to wide receivers. Not a concern, really, but maybe worth a watch down the road. His good blocking is a constant and this staff will reward him for that.

- Another legitimate competition is defensive tackle. It doesn't matter as much because they'll rotate but Keondre Coburn is pushing Gerald Wilbon. Coburn has noticably more upside than Wilbon but isn't quite as seasoned. His stamina could improve too but he's the guy they'll want in on 4th and short. Both are doing a good job of keeping the linebackers clean.

- Even DeMarvion Overshown has taken reps at nickel this spring but it sounds like Josh Thompson is still the leader in the clubhouse. BJ Foster's on the back-nine though. I asked a source if it's as simple as Thompson is better in coverage and BJ is better at the point of attack? "Yes. BJ's best position is boundary safety or Joker." Chris Brown also reps there. They have options but they're still figuring out the best one.

Today would be a good day for any questions you might have as I have notes scattered all over the place and probably forgot some things.

This made me chuckle:  "Returning punts today was Whittington, Josh Moore, and D'shawn Jamison. I can't remember a more dangerous group of fair-catchers."

• Like 1

I was gonna say Tre Watson did okay, but then I looked up his stats. We didn't utilize him in the passing game nearly as much as my memory makes it.
Whittington should definitely change that trend, though, no question.
We didn't use the backs in the passing game much, because they usually ended up protecting.

The day will come when the OL can hold it down enough for our RBs to be a real part of the passing game... How many OTs do we trust right now?