Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He’s done for good at Texas. I don’t know why everyone on the $9.95 end has been misleading their base. It’s bullshit. Gave you guys a bunch of false hope for no real reason.  

Don't worry about it. I was always skeptical.

You don't jack around with spinal cord conditions. Besides, we've got Jett Bush, right?

giphy.gif

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He’s done for good at Texas. I don’t know why everyone on the $9.95 end has been misleading their base. It’s bullshit. Gave you guys a bunch of false hope for no real reason.  

That was my first thought when I saw the news. There's no cure for stenosis, so if it's bad enough to keep him out now, it won't improve later. I guess it's worth monitoring but I'm not sure what would have to change to clear him later. Really sucks for everyone, especially De'Gabriel. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Damn......

2018  OL Mikey Grandy medical retirement

2019  OL  Patrick Hudson medical retirement

2019  RB   Derrian Brown seizure (may not play again)

2019  LB  De'Gabriel Floyd stenosis (may not play again)

Prayers for all these fellows..... 🙏🙏🙏

• Like 5

OB scrimmage notes

Spoiler

Here is what Texas football coach Tom Herman said after his team’s second scrimmage, which occurred on Saturday:

--- Herman said the offense won Saturday’s scrimmage.

--- Herman on the scrimmage: “I thought we competed defensively. Just too many big plays in the run game. Too many big runs for the one defense [first-string defense]. The two o-line [backup offensive line] took a step back today. That’s basically what kept the defense in, getting beat up front when the twos were in. We got a lot to work on. We got four more practices to do it. The good thing is we came out pretty healthy. We’ll heal our bodies. Fix mistakes in the meeting on Monday. Get back to work on Tuesday.”

--- Jordan Whittington and Keaontay Ingram had long runs during the scrimmage. Herman said the offensive line blocked well up front, and both running backs made guys miss in the secondary.

--- Donovan Duvernay intercepted Roschon Johnson on Saturday. That was the only interception Herman mentioned.

--- Herman on Derrian Brown: “Just talked to his dad yesterday. He had a procedure to actually put back a piece of his skull that they have removed to alleviate some pressure. That went well from what I understand. He was supposed to be released yesterday. I don’t know if that happened or not. I will find out today. He’s trying to get cleared to come to the spring game, I know that. Physically, they’re saying he’s doing really, really well. Still having a few minor issues with speech, but they’re all very optimistic that will come with time. As of now, they’re optimistic he’ll have a chance to play football again. I want to publicly thank Tedy Bruschi. He reached out to Derrian and his family yesterday. Kind of gave him some words of encouragement and some advice after having gone through something very similar.”

--- Chris Brown (lungs) should be back on Tuesday. Herman described Brown as a physical player who brings a lot of energy.

--- When asked about linebacker Caleb Johnson, Herman said there he did not recall any “wow” plays on Saturday. However, Herman typically prefers to watch the film before giving specific observations about players.

--- Herman said Ryan Bujcevski was not good during the first week of practice. However, Bujcevski has played much better during the past two weeks.

Here are some things I heard about the scrimmage: 

--- Malcolm Epps scored on a 60-plus yard post. He looked good as always.

--- Freshman receiver Bru McCoy scored on a 30-yard reception. McCoy looks like a guy who is playing better as he becomes more comfortable. 

--- The second-team defense got hot and at one point began racking up some sacks.

--- Keaontay Ingram scored on a 30-yard touchdown run. Ingram shook a couple of defenders before breaking a tackle and taking it the house. In addition, he had two long catches down the sidelines when matched up against a linebacker.

--- Jordan Whittington had a 60-yard run and was pushed out at the 1-yard line. He scored on the next play.

--- Staying with Ingram and Whittington, I learned Texas ran a 21-personnel package with both running backs in the backfield on Saturday. Talk about a scary combo.

--- Jordan Pouncey caught a 60-yard touchdown pass from Casey Thompson.

--- Ta’Quon Graham and Malcolm Roach were standouts on the defensive line.

--- The first-team defense struggled on Saturday (Herman also said that). One person told me that unit "got their asses kicked" by the offense. It would explain why Herman talked about the need for improvement after the scrimmage. 

--- Offensively, Texas spread the ball around a lot more during the scrimmage than in previous practices. From what I was told, it seemed like every receiver had a big-chunk play.

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

OB scrimmage notes

Reveal hidden contents

Here is what Texas football coach Tom Herman said after his team’s second scrimmage, which occurred on Saturday:

--- Herman said the offense won Saturday’s scrimmage.

--- Herman on the scrimmage: “I thought we competed defensively. Just too many big plays in the run game. Too many big runs for the one defense [first-string defense]. The two o-line [backup offensive line] took a step back today. That’s basically what kept the defense in, getting beat up front when the twos were in. We got a lot to work on. We got four more practices to do it. The good thing is we came out pretty healthy. We’ll heal our bodies. Fix mistakes in the meeting on Monday. Get back to work on Tuesday.”

--- Jordan Whittington and Keaontay Ingram had long runs during the scrimmage. Herman said the offensive line blocked well up front, and both running backs made guys miss in the secondary.

--- Donovan Duvernay intercepted Roschon Johnson on Saturday. That was the only interception Herman mentioned.

--- Herman on Derrian Brown: “Just talked to his dad yesterday. He had a procedure to actually put back a piece of his skull that they have removed to alleviate some pressure. That went well from what I understand. He was supposed to be released yesterday. I don’t know if that happened or not. I will find out today. He’s trying to get cleared to come to the spring game, I know that. Physically, they’re saying he’s doing really, really well. Still having a few minor issues with speech, but they’re all very optimistic that will come with time. As of now, they’re optimistic he’ll have a chance to play football again. I want to publicly thank Tedy Bruschi. He reached out to Derrian and his family yesterday. Kind of gave him some words of encouragement and some advice after having gone through something very similar.”

--- Chris Brown (lungs) should be back on Tuesday. Herman described Brown as a physical player who brings a lot of energy.

--- When asked about linebacker Caleb Johnson, Herman said there he did not recall any “wow” plays on Saturday. However, Herman typically prefers to watch the film before giving specific observations about players.

--- Herman said Ryan Bujcevski was not good during the first week of practice. However, Bujcevski has played much better during the past two weeks.

Here are some things I heard about the scrimmage: 

--- Malcolm Epps scored on a 60-plus yard post. He looked good as always.

--- Freshman receiver Bru McCoy scored on a 30-yard reception. McCoy looks like a guy who is playing better as he becomes more comfortable. 

--- The second-team defense got hot and at one point began racking up some sacks.

--- Keaontay Ingram scored on a 30-yard touchdown run. Ingram shook a couple of defenders before breaking a tackle and taking it the house. In addition, he had two long catches down the sidelines when matched up against a linebacker.

--- Jordan Whittington had a 60-yard run and was pushed out at the 1-yard line. He scored on the next play.

--- Staying with Ingram and Whittington, I learned Texas ran a 21-personnel package with both running backs in the backfield on Saturday. Talk about a scary combo.

--- Jordan Pouncey caught a 60-yard touchdown pass from Casey Thompson.

--- Ta’Quon Graham and Malcolm Roach were standouts on the defensive line.

--- The first-team defense struggled on Saturday (Herman also said that). One person told me that unit "got their asses kicked" by the offense. It would explain why Herman talked about the need for improvement after the scrimmage. 

--- Offensively, Texas spread the ball around a lot more during the scrimmage than in previous practices. From what I was told, it seemed like every receiver had a big-chunk play.

OB’s “what I heard” is basically just a recap of the twitter vid. lol

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Play the dime package with Foster and NB and Overshown at Joker.

Yup. Overshown didnt wanna switch to Joker though, so we'll call him Dime-back or whatever so hes not a "linebacker".

Also, if you need to be bigger in run game, instead of worrying about how to play a 3-3-5 instead of the 3-2-6... just run a damn 4-2-6. We've got a little more talent at DL then we have had for a while so use it

Edited by Zavala

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Sounding like Herman finally has the personnel to get back to the 2 back sets. He had a lot of success with that at Ohio State. 

The link below is worth a read. 

http://breakdownsports.blogspot.com/2015/07/inside-playbook-ohio-state-2-back-offense-urban-meyer.html

Not only that, he has flex with wide outs and theribs. Bunch of those freshman WRs can take a jet or pitch to the house, Ingram and Whitt need to be catching swings, wheels, and hopefully SCREENS

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We were repping him at linebacker last fall, but it appears he wants to play safety.

Ah. This defense is pretty multiple I just hope the 4 badasses (Jones, Caden, Foster, Overshown) all stay on the field the whole game. Call em whatever. Jones or Foster will line up 2 yards off the LOS they are all kind of hybrid safety/fast LBs

Also, in reference to the 2 back sets I wonder if we see some of the "diamond formations" that Herman used at Ohio State. You force defenses to double CJ on the outside and if they do double you get the numbers advantage in the run game. 

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/06/22989/tom-herman-talks-newly-installed-diamond-formation

It’s kind of an inverted Wishbone. Dana Holgorsen did a good job with it a few years back at Oklahoma State when he had (Brandon) Weeden and (Justin) Blackmon. He was getting into it to get single coverage on Blackmon. He would put three backs in the game, or two backs with a fullback/tight end guy. And Dana would have a two-play check to where if defenses double Blackmon, they were going to run it. And if they didn’t, they were going to throw it to Blackmon. I have been studying it for a couple of years.

It has evolved a little bit to where guys are running a lot more plays out of the formation. It has been fun. It has been fun for our guys because we are pretty deep at tailback. Carlos (Hyde) and Rod Smith, who probably could start a lot of places in this league. And we have two young guys in Bri’onte Dunn and Warren Ball who deserve to see the field a little bit.

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Man, is safety that much more fun to play than LB? You'd think a kid from boondocks ETX would just want the quickest route to the NFl.

He might prefer safety, but I’d bet the stories about him being dead set against playing LB are Overblown.

• Like 2