Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

11 minutes ago, Nope said:

Yikes @ the tackling 

Looks like it was Dele first. With his speed issues, he’s gonna have to swallow up anything in his range and can’t be missing tackles like that. 

I’m hoping  for a McCulloch-Johnson tandem come Fall. Unlike South Austin’s mom, who’s hoping for Facefulloch-Johnson tandem. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

Just now, victory88 said:

That 1st team defense looked horrible.  The trend of the offense ripping off big plays at every scrimmage/practice is making me nervous.  Hopefully with Sterns and Jones back in the fall, the defense won’t be such a liability.  

This defense is going to struggle, especially early in the year. It’s almost inevitable with how much experience we have to replace and how young most of our replacements are, not to mention the depth concerns once injuries hit. 

22 minutes ago, victory88 said:

That 1st team defense looked horrible.  The trend of the offense ripping off big plays at every scrimmage/practice is making me nervous.  Hopefully with Sterns and Jones back in the fall, the defense won’t be such a liability.  

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This defense is going to struggle, especially early in the year. It’s almost inevitable with how much experience we have to replace and how young most of our replacements are, not to mention the depth concerns once injuries hit. 

Fuck it! Cancel Christmas

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

If all the hype about the RBs turn out to be true that will be awesome. Would love to dominate the ground game. Makes everything else easier. 

Running game dominating, passing game dominating, defense dominating!  Last time they were this good is last Spring!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That’s what they wanted him to be last year, but he just flat out wasn’t good at it.
He played a good bit of ILB in HS and he was always a versatile prospect, so hopefully it can work, but yeah, as if it needs to be said, all the staff and scheme changes in the last ten years have not been a good thing for the players’ development.
Hasn’t McCulloch primarily been a rush end his entire time at Texas?  Before this year, when he got moved to ILB it was because he wasn’t seeing the field as a pass rusher.  He and Hager were competing against each other for 3 years, and Hager usually won that battle.
I hope he flourishes at his new position, but I don’t think there’s been any mismanagement of him by the staff. 
And while LB is a legitimate concern, it is nice to be at a place where our problem position will probably be starting a 4th year guy (Shark) and a 2nd year guy with a power lifter body (Dele), both of whom were national top 100 recruits.  That’s still a far cry from multiple years of Dylan Haines starting at safety, Marcus Hutchins and Tristan Nickelson playing LT, true freshmen QBs and OL starting every year because the older guys were terrible, etc.
I wonder why they bulked him up so much if he was supposed to play on the outside.

He was more sound than Hager and faster coming out of HS. He was good in the flat and at stopping the run wide...

I know he was injured last year, so maybe he was limited, but it didn't seem like putting on a bunch of weight was the right move...

Whatever, I hope he balls out this year.

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

I don't think 2 yard runs and incomplete passes make the twitter feed guys. Y'all chill.

Good point. It’s not like our defense is replacing over 250 combined starts, the most replaced in any year since the stats are available, or that the offense has won both scrimmages, including the one where Sam was out, so we must only be reacting to twitter videos ans no other factors.

25 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Let me explain this to you so you can understand. Jordan Whittington is a 5-star. The guy trying to make the tackle is a 4-star. It's one star higher, so he's never going to make that play. That's why they give out stars. SMH

If we had a six star recruit, we would never be beat. Vince Young should have had one. CTJ's prom date should have had one. It is known.