Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

11 hours ago, Nowhichski said:

That would suck for Floyd to transfer and play somewhere else.

I have a feeling that will happen. Hopefully he sticks around long enough to get cleared after 2019 season, but if he doesn’t...there will be some SEC “doctor” that will clear him. 

8 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Will someone remind me how the medical redshirt rule works? Kirk Johnson is a RS senior next year. Say he has a great year and wants to play another, can he? Given he’s been injured most of his collegiate career, what is the process on him getting a 6th year?

I don’t know the rules, but I’m pretty sure Kirk Johnson will still be on our roster in 2025.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Will someone remind me how the medical redshirt rule works? Kirk Johnson is a RS senior next year. Say he has a great year and wants to play another, can he? Given he’s been injured most of his collegiate career, what is the process on him getting a 6th year?

If he has a great year, with his injury history, he needs to go pro and get paid. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

34 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I think Floyd is gone if he gets an opinion that he can play.  Can’t really blame him.

I've said it before, but if that's his choice, better he transfer than stay at Texas.  If Texas were to find the right doc to clear him to play, and he sustains a serious injury, that's just not a good look for Texas.  Let some other program take that risk.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I've said it before, but if that's his choice, better he transfer than stay at Texas.  If Texas were to find the right doc to clear him to play, and he sustains a serious injury, that's just not a good look for Texas.  Let some other program take that risk.

I agree.  I'm just putting myself in the mind of an 18 year old who is, likely, focused on going to the NFL.  

As an aside, didn't Earl Campbell have a similar (post playing) diagnosis?  If so, he might want to have a conversation w/ Earl. 

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’m referring to anyone who plays professional football, with or without this condition.

Oh.  Well, yeah, he might develop a chronic shoulder or knee condition requiring multiple surgeries into his older years.  But the pain Earl has suffered seems well above the curve. 

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

In general, an athlete has five years of eligibility to complete four years of competition.  With the new redshirt rule passed last year, a redshirt can be taken in football while appearing in four or fewer games.  The generic redshirt year is available for any reason, whether that be injury or physical development or being passed over on the depth chart and wanting to preserve eligibility for a future transfer (a la the Kyle Porter redshirt).  The medical redshirt is the possibility of getting a sixth year of eligibility with which to complete the four years of competition.  One is eligible to apply for this waiver from the NCAA when two years are lost to injury.  An athlete would need to appear in less than one third of the games on the schedule in a particular year before suffering an incapacitating injury to apply for the medical hardship waiver.  This will only apply if the athlete loses two years to injury (as the first injured year would be chalked up to the blanket redshirt year available to everyone, even if that redshirt year was already used for non-injury related reasons).  

• Like 1

TFB on De'Gabriel Floyd, the running backs, spring game offense and defense, and linebackers: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-weekend-april-12th-14th/

Quick Hitter | Future of Floyd and RBs In Passing Game
– Will Baizer

There are rumors floating around out there about the future of De’Gabriel Floyd, including one I saw on an LSU site that alleged he is looking to transferring to LSU. I’ve checked with three sources in different place. Here are their responses:

“Not true.”

“No. That’s not true at all. It’s 100% false.”

“That would be news to me.”

I’ll piece together the info I’ve received to give you a picture of my understanding of what is happening to stop the guessing.

– De’Gabriel Floyd has a herniated disc. This seems to be a huge factor at play because it is the main cause behind the spinal stenosis that is holding him out.

– Per spineuniverse.com, a bulging disc or fragments from a herniated disc can then protrude into the spinal canal or pinch on the nerve extending through the foramen. Ligaments connecting the vertebrae may also degenerate and allow the vertebrae to shift, which can pinch the spinal cord or nerves. I have a picture below that displays an example of what is possibly happening.

Herniated+disc?format=1000w

– The plan going forward with De’Gabriel Floyd is to put him through rigorous physical therapy to reduce the swelling in his herniated disc causing the spinal stenosis. As a very last resort, Floyd may undergo surgery for the herniated disc.

– All parties are optimistic about his treatment; however, I will not tell you that it is 100% happening. The neck is tricky.

For now, they have been toying around with Jeffrey McCulloch at Mac linebacker to see if they can get Caleb Johnson on the field alongside him at Rover. However, the plan right now is Ayodele Adeoye as the Mac and McCulloch as the Rover to start.

As was stated in the comments by one user, it is likely Texas will go after a graduate transfer linebacker after the Spring.

This entire Spring, I have been keeping a close eye on the running backs, especially Jordan Whittington. While it may not be the deepest position on the field, I feel safe in saying that if healthy, Keaontay Ingram and Jordan Whittington will be a massive boost in the backfield.

They have both had their fair share of torching the 1s during scrimmages and practices. While Keaontay Ingram has been more consistent, Jordan Whittington gives the home run (>30 yards) factor out of the backfield that Keaontay Ingram simply didn’t last season.

However, their impact will mainly be felt through the air. The duo of Ingram and Whittington have the staff buzzing about what they can do through the air. Both have proven to be exceptionally talented in the passing game. Keaontay Ingram proved this multiple times last year, and I’ve heard from people watching practice that Whittington may be Texas’ best ball catching back since Chris Ogbonnaya back in 2008.

Not to mention the more traditional passing weaponry that Sam Ehlinger has access to. Guys like Josh Moore have proven to be electric with the ball in their hands when Ehlinger passes to him (he prefers the big guys). We’ve already reported that Epps and Eagles have been coming into their own as they take advantage of the absence of Collin Johnson. Bru McCoy has proven to take to the college game just as well or even better than Jordan Whittington. Oh yeah, Devin Duvernay is still just as good as he was last year.

This Saturday, you will see a high flying offense. Part of that is due to the defense, but a lot of it will be because of the weapons on offense. When Collin Johnson comes back to full strength, this offense will be lifted to a new level.

Projected Defensive Depth Chart Entering 2019 Spring Game
– CJ Vogel

With the 2019 Spring Game coming up this weekend for the Longhorns, wanted to bring a visual representation of what Texas is working with on both sides of the ball in terms of depth.

From what we’ve seen at spring practices, this is where the defense currently stands:

https://twitter.com/cjvogel3/status/1115995368209231880

Things to look for in the Spring Game:

– Which corners come to play. With three guys vying for the final spot, opposite of Anthony Cook, which one makes the most of their opportunities on a big-stage game like the spring game. Kobe Boyce entered the spring as the guy at the 2nd corner spot, but Jalen Green has played very well and D’Shawn Jamison has been very impressive as well.

– The speed and play recognition of Ayodele Adeoye. The biggest knock on him from what we’ve heard is being a step too slow when it comes to play recognition.

– How will early enrollee LB Marcus Tillman look with the 2’s. Tillman certainly looks the part physically, and with Texas razor thin at the LB position, a good performance in the spring game will have Texas fans feeling a bit better about the position.

– Will Demarvion Overshown look as advertised? Overshown has been one of the most talked about players on the board due to his freakish size and athletic ability, however he’s been reluctant to find the on-field hype as several other guys in his class have found so far.

– With Brandon Jones and Caden Sterns out due to injuries, can Montrell Estell and Chris Brown keep up with what is expected to be a very talented offensive passing attack?

Keep an eye on Brown as a candidate for having the biggest hit of the game. Dude’s the definition of a headhunter.
– Will Malcolm Roach look like a guy that is destined for the NFL? After being touted early on this spring as the defensive leader of the Texas D, looking the part in the spring game will be a good inclination of a great year ahead for the senior DE.

– The nose guard battle between Keondre Coburn and Gerald Wilbon has grown significantly closer as spring has progress.

– JUCO guys Jacoby Jones and Caleb Johnson each have an opportunity to find the field pretty early this season. They will be running with the two-defense most likely.

– Watch Moro Ojomo bounce around the defensive line. So far this spring he has been bouncing in-and-out from an edge pass rusher to a 4i to a straight up nose. He is incredibly versatile and will see the field a lot this fall.

Thirsty Thursday | Spring Game, Linebackers
– Darius Terrell

Welcome back to another edition of Thirsty Thursdays! As always, I’m here to try to help quench your thirst for Longhorn Football in the drought of the offseason, along with other topics of interest in Longhorn sports this week.

As we draw nearer to the 2019 Texas Spring Game taking place this weekend, I thought that today would be a good time to talk about some players that haven’t grabbed a ton of headlines this spring that I will be excited to see.

Typically, these spring game formats are set up for the first-team on both sides of the ball to look very good against the second-team and backups. Defensive packages will be vanilla, as will the offensive looks and plays, save for a trick play or two. Here are some of the players that I will be keeping a special eye out for on Saturday evening:

OT Tyler Johnson – No, Johnson isn’t expected to play a big part in this 2019 season but I’m excited to get eyes on him for the first time on Saturday. As a kid that should still be in High School right now, Johnson is the highest rated Offensive Lineman that Tom Herman has signed since he’s been at Texas. He will be going against the first-team defense, so he will have to hold his own against battle-tested guys like Malcolm Roach and Taquon Graham. Johnson represents the future of the program and I’ve personally heard rumblings that he could be pushing to play earlier than expected. Look for big #72 when the second unit offense is on the field.

LB Marcus Tillman – Tillman was one of the lower rated recruits in the class and comes to UT from Orlando, Florida without much fanfare. Tillman isn’t tall, but his entire body looks like a muscle and is one of the fastest LBs on the roster as a converted High School Safety. I expect to see #13 a lot on Special Teams this season, but it will be very interesting to see what he looks like going against the first-team offense.

RB Kirk Johnson – Longhorn fans have not seen Kirk Johnson carry a football since the 2015 season. The play that sticks in everyone’s mind was his 32-yard burst against Texas Tech where he showed a gear and acceleration that has been sorely lacking in the Texas backfield for quite some time. Johnson appeared in 10 games last season, all on Special Teams. Johnson, by all accounts, is a quality individual and every person involved with the program is rooting for a triumphant return. He has been a full participant (before a minor injury last week) and made some splash plays this spring. There is tempered optimism that this can be the season that he finally makes it back full-time. I can’t wait to see him in action on Saturday.

DE/LB Byron Vaughns – Vaughns is still a pup and everyone knew that his development and learning curve would be steep with him coming from Fort Worth ISD. If the official school roster is to be believed, Vaughns is up to 240 lbs. That is an exciting development considering that he was athletic enough to run near sub-50 seconds in the 400m dash in high school. All of the tools are there, I’m excited to see how he is progressing this weekend as #50 gets some reps against the first-team offense.

DE Jacoby Jones – Jones was one of the top-rated JUCO Defensive Linemen in the nation for 2019 class that was a late flip from Oklahoma to Texas. Because they are on borrowed time, JUCO players don’t choose schools where they don’t feel like they can make an immediate impact. Jones has drawn praise this spring as a guy that will for sure be in the rotation when the fall season arrives. Texas hit a home-run with Gary Johnson two years ago from the JUCO ranks, if they can hit on Jones this year, it could provide a big boost to the defense. Jones will get a ton of action of Saturday and I’m going to be watching him closely.

Where Do the Answers Come from at Linebacker?

With the news coming out that big-time Freshman LB De’Gabriel Floyd would not be available for the 2019 season, I immediately started thinking about what a solution could be for Texas. Floyd was a prized recruit that enrolled early and was expected to be a big contributor this season. Texas was very thin and inexperienced at the LB position this spring even with Floyd being present.

Texas currently has only four scholarship players for their two true Linebacker positions. Dele Adeoye and Jeffrey McCulloch are the starters at MAC and ROVER, respectively. Caleb Johnson is cross-training at MAC and ROVER, while Marcus Tillman is working primarily at ROVER. McCulloch, is the only one that has any experience starting at the collegiate level.

Where are the answers going to come from? My answer is simple: David Gbenda.

Gbenda was a consensus 4-star recruit across the three major publications. Yet somehow, he is often a forgotten man by fans and those that follow the team when discussing the 2019 recruiting class. Maybe it is due to him being part of a class that included four LBs, three of which were able to enroll in the spring from out of state (Floyd, Johnson, Tillman).

He is a low-profile guy, that doesn’t care for the spotlight or a ton of attention. He verbally committed to Texas on September 30 of last year after having his mind made up and keeping it under wraps for a while.

Don’t let the quiet demeanor fool you. This is a very bad man on the football field that is a tackling machine. He was the top option available at the Inside LB position in-state last cycle and he is a tremendous fit for the style that is played in the Big XII with his athleticism and comfort playing in space. I’m expecting Gbenda to come in and be a standout on special teams early, before earning snaps on the defensive side of the ball as the season takes shape, especially on third downs and in obvious passing situations.

I remember Gbenda being a very pleasant surprise for myself when I was watching the Under Armour game back in January. I knew he could run, but I was impressed with how well put together he looked and how physical he was while competing against the nation’s best. After a full week of practices, it was Gbenda that was the selected to be the starting Mike for his team instead of some of his higher rated teammates. That should tell you a little something about the young man.

The first 35 seconds of the video below give you a look at Gbenda against some of the nation’s best a few months ago.

Projected Offensive Depth Chart Entering 2019 Spring Game
– CJ Vogel

Just as we did with the Defensive side of the ball, here is the projected depth chart for the offense and some key players to look for in the spring game.

https://twitter.com/cjvogel3/status/1116388678597787648

What to look for in the Spring Game:

– I’ll begin at the quarterback position, though not for the reason of years past. Sophomore-to-be Casey Thompson impressed in the spring game last season, however seeing signs of improvements in awareness, anticipation and overall play is going to be a big confidence boost at the position heading into the fall.

– Also, the highly touted early enrollee QB Roschon Johnson will be on the big stage for the first time in front of most Texas fans. Johnson is raw, but could very well be the most talented quarterback on roster due to his gifted athletic ability.

– Coming off the most recent scrimmage last weekend, the two MVP’s of the scrimmage both came from the RB position with the electric Keaontay Ingram and Jordan Whittington. The two guys have been ripping off long runs all spring, something that was lacking tremendously in last fall and their explosiveness will be on full display Saturday.

– Kirk Johnson being healthy will finally give the Longhorn faithful a look at what he can do, especially with the position being thin, he could potentially carve himself a nice role next fall.

– What type of packages the Longhorns throw out during the scrimmage. Texas has a plethora of talent at the position and is stacked at the X WR position. How they maximize talent on the field may not be displayed in the spring game just so Tim Beck doesn’t show his hand too early, but it’s certainly something to keep an eye on for the fall.

– Anytime the ball is thrown to Bru McCoy. That’s all.

– Watch for how fluid Malcolm Epps is in and out breaks. Is body control is very impressive thanks to his basketball background and his high flying pedigree is an insane addition to the offensive arsenal.

– Will Denzel Okafor finally showcase his ability and lockdown the right guard spot?

– There is a big battle for who the first-guard up will be once Parker Braun arrives on campus. Tope Imade and Junior Angilau have been battling all spring for reps with the first team at left guard, and an impressive performance in the spring game will go a long way towards coaches’ confidence in the fall.

– The development of Reese Moore and Christian Jones will be on display as well. Both have received great reviews and Saturday will provide a great idea of what the future of the Texas offensive line will look like.

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB on De'Gabriel Floyd, the running backs, spring game offense and defense, and linebackers: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-weekend-april-12th-14th/

Hide contents

Quick Hitter | Future of Floyd and RBs In Passing Game
– Will Baizer

There are rumors floating around out there about the future of De’Gabriel Floyd, including one I saw on an LSU site that alleged he is looking to transferring to LSU. I’ve checked with three sources in different place. Here are their responses:

“Not true.”

“No. That’s not true at all. It’s 100% false.”

“That would be news to me.”

I’ll piece together the info I’ve received to give you a picture of my understanding of what is happening to stop the guessing.

– De’Gabriel Floyd has a herniated disc. This seems to be a huge factor at play because it is the main cause behind the spinal stenosis that is holding him out.

– Per spineuniverse.com, a bulging disc or fragments from a herniated disc can then protrude into the spinal canal or pinch on the nerve extending through the foramen. Ligaments connecting the vertebrae may also degenerate and allow the vertebrae to shift, which can pinch the spinal cord or nerves. I have a picture below that displays an example of what is possibly happening.

Herniated+disc?format=1000w

– The plan going forward with De’Gabriel Floyd is to put him through rigorous physical therapy to reduce the swelling in his herniated disc causing the spinal stenosis. As a very last resort, Floyd may undergo surgery for the herniated disc.

– All parties are optimistic about his treatment; however, I will not tell you that it is 100% happening. The neck is tricky.

For now, they have been toying around with Jeffrey McCulloch at Mac linebacker to see if they can get Caleb Johnson on the field alongside him at Rover. However, the plan right now is Ayodele Adeoye as the Mac and McCulloch as the Rover to start.

As was stated in the comments by one user, it is likely Texas will go after a graduate transfer linebacker after the Spring.

This entire Spring, I have been keeping a close eye on the running backs, especially Jordan Whittington. While it may not be the deepest position on the field, I feel safe in saying that if healthy, Keaontay Ingram and Jordan Whittington will be a massive boost in the backfield.

They have both had their fair share of torching the 1s during scrimmages and practices. While Keaontay Ingram has been more consistent, Jordan Whittington gives the home run (>30 yards) factor out of the backfield that Keaontay Ingram simply didn’t last season.

However, their impact will mainly be felt through the air. The duo of Ingram and Whittington have the staff buzzing about what they can do through the air. Both have proven to be exceptionally talented in the passing game. Keaontay Ingram proved this multiple times last year, and I’ve heard from people watching practice that Whittington may be Texas’ best ball catching back since Chris Ogbonnaya back in 2008.

Not to mention the more traditional passing weaponry that Sam Ehlinger has access to. Guys like Josh Moore have proven to be electric with the ball in their hands when Ehlinger passes to him (he prefers the big guys). We’ve already reported that Epps and Eagles have been coming into their own as they take advantage of the absence of Collin Johnson. Bru McCoy has proven to take to the college game just as well or even better than Jordan Whittington. Oh yeah, Devin Duvernay is still just as good as he was last year.

This Saturday, you will see a high flying offense. Part of that is due to the defense, but a lot of it will be because of the weapons on offense. When Collin Johnson comes back to full strength, this offense will be lifted to a new level.

Projected Defensive Depth Chart Entering 2019 Spring Game
– CJ Vogel

With the 2019 Spring Game coming up this weekend for the Longhorns, wanted to bring a visual representation of what Texas is working with on both sides of the ball in terms of depth.

From what we’ve seen at spring practices, this is where the defense currently stands:

https://twitter.com/cjvogel3/status/1115995368209231880

Things to look for in the Spring Game:

– Which corners come to play. With three guys vying for the final spot, opposite of Anthony Cook, which one makes the most of their opportunities on a big-stage game like the spring game. Kobe Boyce entered the spring as the guy at the 2nd corner spot, but Jalen Green has played very well and D’Shawn Jamison has been very impressive as well.

– The speed and play recognition of Ayodele Adeoye. The biggest knock on him from what we’ve heard is being a step too slow when it comes to play recognition.

– How will early enrollee LB Marcus Tillman look with the 2’s. Tillman certainly looks the part physically, and with Texas razor thin at the LB position, a good performance in the spring game will have Texas fans feeling a bit better about the position.

– Will Demarvion Overshown look as advertised? Overshown has been one of the most talked about players on the board due to his freakish size and athletic ability, however he’s been reluctant to find the on-field hype as several other guys in his class have found so far.

– With Brandon Jones and Caden Sterns out due to injuries, can Montrell Estell and Chris Brown keep up with what is expected to be a very talented offensive passing attack?

Keep an eye on Brown as a candidate for having the biggest hit of the game. Dude’s the definition of a headhunter.
– Will Malcolm Roach look like a guy that is destined for the NFL? After being touted early on this spring as the defensive leader of the Texas D, looking the part in the spring game will be a good inclination of a great year ahead for the senior DE.

– The nose guard battle between Keondre Coburn and Gerald Wilbon has grown significantly closer as spring has progress.

– JUCO guys Jacoby Jones and Caleb Johnson each have an opportunity to find the field pretty early this season. They will be running with the two-defense most likely.

– Watch Moro Ojomo bounce around the defensive line. So far this spring he has been bouncing in-and-out from an edge pass rusher to a 4i to a straight up nose. He is incredibly versatile and will see the field a lot this fall.

Thirsty Thursday | Spring Game, Linebackers
– Darius Terrell

Welcome back to another edition of Thirsty Thursdays! As always, I’m here to try to help quench your thirst for Longhorn Football in the drought of the offseason, along with other topics of interest in Longhorn sports this week.

As we draw nearer to the 2019 Texas Spring Game taking place this weekend, I thought that today would be a good time to talk about some players that haven’t grabbed a ton of headlines this spring that I will be excited to see.

Typically, these spring game formats are set up for the first-team on both sides of the ball to look very good against the second-team and backups. Defensive packages will be vanilla, as will the offensive looks and plays, save for a trick play or two. Here are some of the players that I will be keeping a special eye out for on Saturday evening:

OT Tyler Johnson – No, Johnson isn’t expected to play a big part in this 2019 season but I’m excited to get eyes on him for the first time on Saturday. As a kid that should still be in High School right now, Johnson is the highest rated Offensive Lineman that Tom Herman has signed since he’s been at Texas. He will be going against the first-team defense, so he will have to hold his own against battle-tested guys like Malcolm Roach and Taquon Graham. Johnson represents the future of the program and I’ve personally heard rumblings that he could be pushing to play earlier than expected. Look for big #72 when the second unit offense is on the field.

LB Marcus Tillman – Tillman was one of the lower rated recruits in the class and comes to UT from Orlando, Florida without much fanfare. Tillman isn’t tall, but his entire body looks like a muscle and is one of the fastest LBs on the roster as a converted High School Safety. I expect to see #13 a lot on Special Teams this season, but it will be very interesting to see what he looks like going against the first-team offense.

RB Kirk Johnson – Longhorn fans have not seen Kirk Johnson carry a football since the 2015 season. The play that sticks in everyone’s mind was his 32-yard burst against Texas Tech where he showed a gear and acceleration that has been sorely lacking in the Texas backfield for quite some time. Johnson appeared in 10 games last season, all on Special Teams. Johnson, by all accounts, is a quality individual and every person involved with the program is rooting for a triumphant return. He has been a full participant (before a minor injury last week) and made some splash plays this spring. There is tempered optimism that this can be the season that he finally makes it back full-time. I can’t wait to see him in action on Saturday.

DE/LB Byron Vaughns – Vaughns is still a pup and everyone knew that his development and learning curve would be steep with him coming from Fort Worth ISD. If the official school roster is to be believed, Vaughns is up to 240 lbs. That is an exciting development considering that he was athletic enough to run near sub-50 seconds in the 400m dash in high school. All of the tools are there, I’m excited to see how he is progressing this weekend as #50 gets some reps against the first-team offense.

DE Jacoby Jones – Jones was one of the top-rated JUCO Defensive Linemen in the nation for 2019 class that was a late flip from Oklahoma to Texas. Because they are on borrowed time, JUCO players don’t choose schools where they don’t feel like they can make an immediate impact. Jones has drawn praise this spring as a guy that will for sure be in the rotation when the fall season arrives. Texas hit a home-run with Gary Johnson two years ago from the JUCO ranks, if they can hit on Jones this year, it could provide a big boost to the defense. Jones will get a ton of action of Saturday and I’m going to be watching him closely.

Where Do the Answers Come from at Linebacker?

With the news coming out that big-time Freshman LB De’Gabriel Floyd would not be available for the 2019 season, I immediately started thinking about what a solution could be for Texas. Floyd was a prized recruit that enrolled early and was expected to be a big contributor this season. Texas was very thin and inexperienced at the LB position this spring even with Floyd being present.

Texas currently has only four scholarship players for their two true Linebacker positions. Dele Adeoye and Jeffrey McCulloch are the starters at MAC and ROVER, respectively. Caleb Johnson is cross-training at MAC and ROVER, while Marcus Tillman is working primarily at ROVER. McCulloch, is the only one that has any experience starting at the collegiate level.

Where are the answers going to come from? My answer is simple: David Gbenda.

Gbenda was a consensus 4-star recruit across the three major publications. Yet somehow, he is often a forgotten man by fans and those that follow the team when discussing the 2019 recruiting class. Maybe it is due to him being part of a class that included four LBs, three of which were able to enroll in the spring from out of state (Floyd, Johnson, Tillman).

He is a low-profile guy, that doesn’t care for the spotlight or a ton of attention. He verbally committed to Texas on September 30 of last year after having his mind made up and keeping it under wraps for a while.

Don’t let the quiet demeanor fool you. This is a very bad man on the football field that is a tackling machine. He was the top option available at the Inside LB position in-state last cycle and he is a tremendous fit for the style that is played in the Big XII with his athleticism and comfort playing in space. I’m expecting Gbenda to come in and be a standout on special teams early, before earning snaps on the defensive side of the ball as the season takes shape, especially on third downs and in obvious passing situations.

I remember Gbenda being a very pleasant surprise for myself when I was watching the Under Armour game back in January. I knew he could run, but I was impressed with how well put together he looked and how physical he was while competing against the nation’s best. After a full week of practices, it was Gbenda that was the selected to be the starting Mike for his team instead of some of his higher rated teammates. That should tell you a little something about the young man.

The first 35 seconds of the video below give you a look at Gbenda against some of the nation’s best a few months ago.

Projected Offensive Depth Chart Entering 2019 Spring Game
– CJ Vogel

Just as we did with the Defensive side of the ball, here is the projected depth chart for the offense and some key players to look for in the spring game.

https://twitter.com/cjvogel3/status/1116388678597787648

What to look for in the Spring Game:

– I’ll begin at the quarterback position, though not for the reason of years past. Sophomore-to-be Casey Thompson impressed in the spring game last season, however seeing signs of improvements in awareness, anticipation and overall play is going to be a big confidence boost at the position heading into the fall.

– Also, the highly touted early enrollee QB Roschon Johnson will be on the big stage for the first time in front of most Texas fans. Johnson is raw, but could very well be the most talented quarterback on roster due to his gifted athletic ability.

– Coming off the most recent scrimmage last weekend, the two MVP’s of the scrimmage both came from the RB position with the electric Keaontay Ingram and Jordan Whittington. The two guys have been ripping off long runs all spring, something that was lacking tremendously in last fall and their explosiveness will be on full display Saturday.

– Kirk Johnson being healthy will finally give the Longhorn faithful a look at what he can do, especially with the position being thin, he could potentially carve himself a nice role next fall.

– What type of packages the Longhorns throw out during the scrimmage. Texas has a plethora of talent at the position and is stacked at the X WR position. How they maximize talent on the field may not be displayed in the spring game just so Tim Beck doesn’t show his hand too early, but it’s certainly something to keep an eye on for the fall.

– Anytime the ball is thrown to Bru McCoy. That’s all.

– Watch for how fluid Malcolm Epps is in and out breaks. Is body control is very impressive thanks to his basketball background and his high flying pedigree is an insane addition to the offensive arsenal.

– Will Denzel Okafor finally showcase his ability and lockdown the right guard spot?

– There is a big battle for who the first-guard up will be once Parker Braun arrives on campus. Tope Imade and Junior Angilau have been battling all spring for reps with the first team at left guard, and an impressive performance in the spring game will go a long way towards coaches’ confidence in the fall.

– The development of Reese Moore and Christian Jones will be on display as well. Both have received great reviews and Saturday will provide a great idea of what the future of the Texas offensive line will look like.

RB Kirk Johnson – Longhorn fans have not seen Kirk Johnson carry a football since the 2015 season. The play that sticks in everyone’s mind was his 32-yard burst against Texas Tech where he showed a gear and acceleration that has been sorely lacking in the Texas backfield for quite some time.

I never knew that.  I was at a gala at the Fairmont during most of the Tech game, having to monitor the score on my iPhone.  Missed Kirk's run. 

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Go to 28:55. It’s either a video of your mom or Kirk’s run. Either way, there’s a lot of Johnson in there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=I5uyzBRj_S4#

On the highlight before Kirko’s run, Spencer Tillman used the word “seminal,” so I’m still not sure if they are talking about football or South Austin’s mom.

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Aces_Full said:

Dangerous game to play with that diagnosis.  Could have a huge impact on the rest of your life.  Wish him the best.  

Many posters here won't let their kids play football because of the inherent danger. You can be paralyzed on any given play as it is.

I doubt Floyd sees this diagnosis as a whole lot more risky. At his age, I wouldn't really have either. When you play because you love the game, I don't think risk factors in a whole lot.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Go to 28:55. It’s either a video of your mom or Kirk’s run. Either way, there’s a lot of Johnson in there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=I5uyzBRj_S4#

Gifed for easier viewing.

VaSE2C.gif

This is the game where Chris Warren ran for 275 yards (Kirk ran for 30, and I think Swoopes ran for like 100 himself), and we still lost.  D'onta and J. Gray were both out with injuries.

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

Gifed for easier viewing.

VaSE2C.gif

This is the game where Chris Warren ran for 275 yards (Kirk ran for 30, and I think Swoopes ran for like 100 himself), and we still lost.  D'onta and J. Gray were both out with injuries.

I was about to say... Texas tech should never be used as an indicator or running ability.  I'm pretty sure the scout team gave up less yard s 

IT team notes

By: IT Staff

The most important scrimmage of the week isn't Saturday, it occurred on Wednesday when the first and second team each went about 30 plays. Predictably, the offense won. The defense didn't play too poorly, other than shooting itself in the foot with penalties. The twos struggled mightily on defense, remember they're playing numerous walk-ons, and, "having them up against Kirk isn't fair. Nobody can tackle him."

Today's practice was much lighter, and mainly just a rehearsal for Saturday's production.

QUARTERBACK

This is still an 11 personnel team but they are running a lot of 20 personnel that quickly turns into 10 when Jordan Whittington splits out wide.

Not much to say about Sam Ehlinger. He'll get a series or two but you won't see him much otherwise.

Casey Thompson has improved throughout spring. My source stated, "he's more calm in the pocket than he was a couple of weeks ago. Of course they can't hit him, but they couldn't hit him then either. Hanging in the pocket has improved his accuracy."

On Roschon Johnson, "as long as you keep in mind he's a freshman, he looks good. With Sam barely playing any, we'll get to see a lot of those two. Neither inspire confidence if they had to take over for Ehlinger but they're improving."

RUNNING BACK

With the addition of a healthy Kirk Johnson and freshman Jordan Whittington this is the most explosive position grouping.

Rank them, "ooooh, that's a tough, tough one. I'd go with Keaontay because he's proven but damn Johnson and Whittington can go. It's a three-headed monster and then add in Ehlinger."

Go on, "Johnson runs so hard and he's the most powerful. Ingram is smoother but Ingram is more explosive. Ingram gets you off balance, Kirk runs by you or over you. Whittington is smooth too and he doesn't lose any speed when he cuts. If he's running 19 miles an hour, he cuts at 19 miles an hour."

WIDE RECEIVER

Per sources, Malcolm Epps has been the best wide receiver this spring with Bru McCoy right behind him. Yes, X is positively loaded so expect them to tinker with formations throughout the remainder of the off-season for when Collin Johnson returns.

I asked about Josh Moore and heard, "he looks good, catches everything thrown his way."

This position is deep and talented and about to get deeper and more talented in early June.

I think Brennan Eagles has been out recently but need clarification.

TIGHT END

I'm hearing mixed reviews on Cade Brewer as a blocker. It does sound like he was coming on as spring wore on. He's still a better receiver than blocker, though.

I haven't heard anything new on Reese Leitao bascially since his first practice in pads.

Jared Wiley is going to be good, gives game effort, but he's lacking lower body strength when blocking. Keep in mind it's also tough for him to play with leverage at his height.

It'll be a big off-season for this group.

OFFENSIVE LINE

No surprise, but Sam Cosmi is still the best offensive lineman on the team. He's athletic and playing with a mean streak.

The experiment with Derek Kerstetter and Denzel Okafor switching between guard and tackle seems to be leaning heavily towards Kerstetter winning right tackle. That's not surprising but at least Okafor received some reps at tackle in case he's needed.

Junior Angilau is your other guard setting up a battle between he and Okafor when Parker Braun arrives.

Kerstetter repped some at center this week. That put Christian Jones at right tackle.

This group is okay right now but expected to improve a lot between now and the opener. They're lacking depth but getting young guys as many reps as possible.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Moro Ojomo continues to step up but needs to become more consistent. That's not surprising given he's 17 years old. He's battling Jacoby Jones to be the third defensive end with Marqez Bimage in the mix as well.

Keondre Coburn and Gerald Wilbon are effectively co-starters at nose tackle. They're competing to be #1 but they'll both play so much I'm not sure it matters.

The staff has tinkered with different looks. We'll see what they throw out tomorrow and maybe add some background.

LINEBACKER

The pursuit of finding a second ILB has hit a snag. Each candidate's predictable issues are showing: Dele's lack of range, Johnson's lack of familiarity with scheme and level of competition, and Tillman being a freshman.

So the staff is going dime a lot more of late and putting Joseph Ossai at Rover. This puts Jeffrey McCulloch at Mac and DeMarvion Overshown at Joker.

This could certainly become a base look this season though it still leaves an odd-man out when it comes to the elite defenders of Foster, Overshown, and Ossai once Brandon Jones and Caden Sterns return healthy. First world problems, imo.

SECONDARY

Not much new here. Having Jones and Sterns out doesn't help but, "it's not like Montrell Estell sucks or anything. He just isn't Caden Sterns."

With Jones out, Chris Brown has played really well.

D'shawn Jamison has impressed throughout camp but they have him in the boundary opposite the tallest player on the team. They have to give him help but they'd have to give just about anyone else help too.

Green is your second corner when Anthony Cook returns healthy.

I still have some questions I'm trying to get answered regarding tomorrow but the important stuff has already happened this spring. Tomorrow is for recruiting and to engage the fans.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I’m stoked to see Captain Kirk play.  It’s been a while. Hope he stay healthy. 

If he stays healthy we will have a 3-headed monster similar to Georgia a couple years ago. + We beat Georgia and have a better passing game. Our offense will be top 5 in the nation next year with Sam slinging it to Collin and the rest of the WR group. We are bringing back elite talent at S and CB. Our DL has some monsters. LB is a little iffy. But this looks like a Big 12 Champion/BCS Playoff Champion team!

Edited by d.plainview872
  • Like 2