Spring Football starts today

Goo Punch

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

6'4 250 isn't massive for a 4i 

He’s listed at 6’3, 265 on the UT website, FWIW. I’m not sure which I value less, team roster measurables or JUCO measureables. Either way, he’s bigger than Hager was last year, and he’s probably not much smaller than Bimage this year. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, satyanash said:

(Chip Brown) Spring practice: Devin Duvernay returns to the offense, more

Reveal hidden contents

AUSTIN, Texas — The Longhorns returned from spring break for practice No. 4 of spring football and welcomed back receiver Devin Duvernay, who missed the first three spring practices with a stress reaction in his pubic bone. As is the case with any player working back from injury, Duvernay was last in line for drills at Z-receiver behind Brennan Eagles and Al'Vonte Woodard. But Duvernay was moving well.

Receiver Collin Johnson, who is still working his way back from off-season knee surgery, was in full pads Monday but was still working with the rehab unit that also includes defensive end Marqez Bimage (shoulder). Both are expected back to practice soon. The Longhorns will practice and host Pro Day on Wednesday and will have a scrimmage on Saturday.

The running back rotation on Monday had Keaontay Ingram working with the No. 1 offense, while Kirk Johnson got the first reps with the No. 2 offense, followed by Jordan Whittington and Daniel Young. In the 20 minutes of practice the media was allowed to watch Monday, the first-team offensive line continues to be: Samuel Cosmi at left tackle, Tope Imade at left guard, Zach Shackelford at center, Derek Kerstetter at right guard and Denzel Okafor at right tackle. The second-team O-line: Reese Moore at left tackle, Junior Angilau at left guard, Rafiti Ghirmai at center, JP Urquidez at right guard and Christian Jones at right tackle. Herb Hand got after freshman Tyler Johnson, who is working with the third team offensive line at left tackle during a drill in which players were firing into a blocking sled out of a pass set.

Johnson didn’t make very good contact with the sled on his first attempt, and Hand made him do it again. Then, Hand wasn’t satisfied with the second attempt and made Johnson do it a third time. Johnson knew it before Hand said anything, clapping his hands together in disgust both times. But I’ll say this — Johnson, who is listed at 315 pounds, is put together and looks notably bigger than Moore, who is listed at 300 pounds. The early enrollee, winter conditioning appears to have served Johnson well.

One note at tight end: While Cade Brewer continues to get the first-team reps, Reese Leitao got the first reps with the second-team offense, but split those second-team reps with early enrollee freshman Jared Wiley (whom coaches are very high on).

At receiver, Malcolm Epps lined up with the first team at X (where Collin Johnson will be lined up when he returns) with early enrollee freshman Bru McCoy working with the second team offense at X. Joshua Moore was the slot receiver with the first-team offense, followed by Jordan Pouncey. Eagles was the first-team Z-receiver (where Duvernay lines up when fully healthy), followed by Woodard.

After having a week off, the quarterbacks, led by Sam Ehlinger, looked sharp in early throwing drills against air. I was particularly impressed with the footwork and setup of early enrollee freshman Roschon Johnson, who transitions his weight onto his front foot well and was throwing an accurate, tight spiral on Monday.

Couple other notes: When the team broke into two-on-two drills involving the slot and an outside receiver against two defensive backs, DeMarvion Overshown showed impressive speed in closing on the outside receiver to make a hit almost as soon as the receiver caught the ball. Overshown’s speed popped for sure. Andrew Beck, UT's first-team All-Big 12 H-back/tight end last season, was at practice Monday and said he's ready for the Longhorns' Pro Day on Wednesday. Beck, defensive end/outside linebacker Breckyn Hager and defensive tackle Chris Nelson were among the notable UT players who weren't invited to the NFL combine and are hoping to make a big impression on NFL personnel attending Pro Day.

"Oh yeah, I'm ready," Beck said smiling. Texas coach Tom Herman said he contacted some NFL personnel to see about getting Beck and Nelson invited to the combine but was unsuccessful.

FCB.

• Like 2

I'm really hopeful that Ingram could be a 1k yard back next year. He will have the bulk of the carries and by all accounts he has added about 12 to 14 lbs of good weight since the Sugar Bowl drubbing of Georgia.

The line in the run game still needs some improvement, but I think with the passing game being the focus that every opposing defensive coordinator is going to zero in on, it will open up some room for the running game.

7 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Jamison gotta put on a few pounds but he could be a Quandre starter kit. Put him at nickel. 

The nickel roll under Orlando isnt asked to do the dame things as the nickel role when diggs was here. In this instance, play strong at the LOS. Theres legit questions Jamison would have to answer at Nickel in this defense.  

They’re watching Ingram practice and coming out of that with confident feeds on him to people. They’re also excited about Whittington and what he’s doing. Herman’s proven that he and his staff can be overconfident, so take it however you want to, but they’re enthused about TB. 

Similarly, the secondary is drawing raves, from the proven safeties to Jamison. Everyone looks good and there may not be enough snaps to keep everyone ultimately happy, but I’ll take it. 

On the flip, there’s a better shot that anyone wants to hear that Floyd may never play a down in college. The stinger stuff is bullshit. Hope that is wrong. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I'm really hopeful that Ingram could be a 1k yard back next year. He will have the bulk of the carries and by all accounts he has added about 12 to 14 lbs of good weight since the Sugar Bowl drubbing of Georgia.

The line in the run game still needs some improvement, but I think with the passing game being the focus that every opposing defensive coordinator is going to zero in on, it will open up some room for the running game.

I think the left side of the OL with Cosmi - Braun - Shackleford is going to open up a lot of running lanes this year. We have a legit shot at a 1000 yard back for the first time since D’Onta.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

The nickel roll under Orlando isnt asked to do the dame things as the nickel role when diggs was here. In this instance, play strong at the LOS. Theres legit questions Jamison would have to answer at Nickel in this defense.  

Ironically enough, Diggs would kill it at nickle in this defense. 

Jamison is a field corner all the way imo. Kinda sucks because he's probably not going to start for another 2 years potentially, but I'm glad to have him. 

26 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Ironically enough, Diggs would kill it at nickle in this defense. 

Jamison is a field corner all the way imo. Kinda sucks because he's probably not going to start for another 2 years potentially, but I'm glad to have him. 

That’s a bit excsssive. We play in the Big 12 and injuries happen. If Jamison is good, he’ll get on the field plenty over the next two years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Jamison gotta put on a few pounds but he could be a Quandre starter kit. Put him at nickel. 

Watched a few games in HS and he is a honeybadger starter kit who could have benefited from a RS but we needed the help last year. If he stays healthy he will be a stud on D in the coming years.

TFB practice notes from yesterday: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/03/open-post-tuesday-march-26th/

Spring Practice Notes | March 25, 2019
– CJ Vogel

Spring Break is over and practice is BACK! Let’s dive into some notes.

The offensive depth charts remained the same for the most part. Some minor changes depending on who entered the team period as a substitute.

First Team Depth Chart:

QB: Sam Ehlinger
RB: Keaontay Ingram / Daniel Young
X: Malcolm Epps
Y: Joshua Moore
Z: Brennan Eagles
TE: Cade Brewer
LT: Sam Cosmi
LG: Tope Imade
😄 Zach Shackleford
RG: Derek Kerstetter
RT: Denzel Okafor

Second Team Depth Chart

QB: Casey Thompson
RB: Kirk Johnson/Jordan Whittington
X: Bru McCoy
Y: Jordan Pouncey
Z: Al’Vontae Woodard
TE: Reese Leitao/Jared Wiley
LT: Reese Moore
LG: Junior Angilau
😄 Rafiti Ghirmai
RG: J.P. Urquidez
RT: Christian Jones

Same goes for defensive depth chart

First Team Depth Chart:

DL: Malcolm Roach – Gerald Wilbon – Taquon Graham
BLB: Joseph Ossai
Mac: Ayodele Adeoye
Rover: Jeffrey McCulloch
NB: BJ Foster
CB: Anthony Cook / Kobe Boyce / Jalen Green
FS: Caden Sterns
BS: Chris Brown

Second Team Depth Chart

DL: Jacoby Jones – Moro Ojomo – Jamari Chisholm
BLB: Byron Vaughns
Mac: Walk-On
Rover: Caleb Johnson
NB: Josh Thompson
CB: D’Shawn Jamison / Donovan Duvernay
FS: Montrell Estell
BS: Demarvion Overshown

Some notes:

Injuries:
– LB De’Gabriel Floyd
– DE Marquez Bimage
– WR Collin Johnson
– CB Anthony Cook
– DT Keondre Coburn

– Today was the least accurate we have seen the quarterbacks during the media period so far during Spring Practice. That is in large part due to the constant drizzle during practice which caused the balls and field to be slippery.

– Sam Ehlinger returned from his vacation to Cabo and immediately came back to work, being the first to-and-from stations and being very vocal in the process.

– To hint on the inaccuracies by the quarterbacks today, Ehlinger missed badly on a deep post to Joshua Moore and Roschon Johnson missed high on a dig-route, both during the routes-on-air period. Both misses indicate slipperiness in the ball.

– John Burt is still with the Track & Field program.

– Collin Johnson was suited up but once again did not participate in practice due to his knee injury.

– Devin Duvernay was active on the practice field. He did not run with the 1’s during the team period, but was indeed running routes on air in the next period.

– The tight ends worked on blocking during their individual period. This has been something that has been stressed a ton during the practices I have attended. I have yet to see the tight ends join the wide receivers and quarterbacks during the routes-on-air period.

– Offensive line coach Herb Hand had his men working the two-man chute drill. The two groups were separated between first team and second & third teams with GA Garrett Graf working with the first teamers and Hand joining the second group.

– Just as Ehlinger is the leader on the offensive side of the ball, Malcolm Roach is just that on the defense. He was chatting up a storm and keeping the guys loose.

– Moro Ojomo and Jamari Chisholm flipped back and forth with each other during the team period, from 4i to nose.

– We got to see a couple 1–on–1’s before the media time expired. During one of those Bru McCoy dominated Kobe Boyce. McCoy knocked Boyce to the ground and grabbed the ball. Don’t know if it was legal, but it was impressive.

– Joshua Moore continues to impress. The only way defensive backs are guarding him is by drawing the flag rather than allowing a touchdown.

– D’Shawn Jamison made a pretty slick INT while jumping over a falling wide receiver.

– Chris Brown pile drived a WR into the ground during a DB-WR screen drill. He’s taking advantage of Brandon Jones being sidelined.

Injury News:

– Marqez Bimage was still in a green no-contact jersey. Caleb Johnson was not!

– Anthony Cook dressed out, but was limited in practice. He did not participate in the 1–on–1’s or WR/DB drills.

– Christian Jones rolled his ankle early in practice, but returned. Should not be that serious.

– BJ Foster took a helmet to the knee and was being evaluated. Doubtful that it is very serious.

– Tom Herman said Keondre Coburn’s “blood levels have been good.”

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB practice notes from yesterday: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/03/open-post-tuesday-march-26th/

Hide contents

Spring Practice Notes | March 25, 2019
– CJ Vogel

Spring Break is over and practice is BACK! Let’s dive into some notes.

The offensive depth charts remained the same for the most part. Some minor changes depending on who entered the team period as a substitute.

First Team Depth Chart:

QB: Sam Ehlinger
RB: Keaontay Ingram / Daniel Young
X: Malcolm Epps
Y: Joshua Moore
Z: Brennan Eagles
TE: Cade Brewer
LT: Sam Cosmi
LG: Tope Imade
😄 Zach Shackleford
RG: Derek Kerstetter
RT: Denzel Okafor

Second Team Depth Chart

QB: Casey Thompson
RB: Kirk Johnson/Jordan Whittington
X: Bru McCoy
Y: Jordan Pouncey
Z: Al’Vontae Woodard
TE: Reese Leitao/Jared Wiley
LT: Reese Moore
LG: Junior Angilau
😄 Rafiti Ghirmai
RG: J.P. Urquidez
RT: Christian Jones

Same goes for defensive depth chart

First Team Depth Chart:

DL: Malcolm Roach – Gerald Wilbon – Taquon Graham
BLB: Joseph Ossai
Mac: Ayodele Adeoye
Rover: Jeffrey McCulloch
NB: BJ Foster
CB: Anthony Cook / Kobe Boyce / Jalen Green
FS: Caden Sterns
BS: Chris Brown

Second Team Depth Chart

DL: Jacoby Jones – Moro Ojomo – Jamari Chisholm
BLB: Byron Vaughns
Mac: Walk-On
Rover: Caleb Johnson
NB: Josh Thompson
CB: D’Shawn Jamison / Donovan Duvernay
FS: Montrell Estell
BS: Demarvion Overshown

Some notes:

Injuries:
– LB De’Gabriel Floyd
– DE Marquez Bimage
– WR Collin Johnson
– CB Anthony Cook
– DT Keondre Coburn

– Today was the least accurate we have seen the quarterbacks during the media period so far during Spring Practice. That is in large part due to the constant drizzle during practice which caused the balls and field to be slippery.

– Sam Ehlinger returned from his vacation to Cabo and immediately came back to work, being the first to-and-from stations and being very vocal in the process.

– To hint on the inaccuracies by the quarterbacks today, Ehlinger missed badly on a deep post to Joshua Moore and Roschon Johnson missed high on a dig-route, both during the routes-on-air period. Both misses indicate slipperiness in the ball.

– John Burt is still with the Track & Field program.

– Collin Johnson was suited up but once again did not participate in practice due to his knee injury.

– Devin Duvernay was active on the practice field. He did not run with the 1’s during the team period, but was indeed running routes on air in the next period.

– The tight ends worked on blocking during their individual period. This has been something that has been stressed a ton during the practices I have attended. I have yet to see the tight ends join the wide receivers and quarterbacks during the routes-on-air period.

– Offensive line coach Herb Hand had his men working the two-man chute drill. The two groups were separated between first team and second & third teams with GA Garrett Graf working with the first teamers and Hand joining the second group.

– Just as Ehlinger is the leader on the offensive side of the ball, Malcolm Roach is just that on the defense. He was chatting up a storm and keeping the guys loose.

– Moro Ojomo and Jamari Chisholm flipped back and forth with each other during the team period, from 4i to nose.

– We got to see a couple 1–on–1’s before the media time expired. During one of those Bru McCoy dominated Kobe Boyce. McCoy knocked Boyce to the ground and grabbed the ball. Don’t know if it was legal, but it was impressive.

– Joshua Moore continues to impress. The only way defensive backs are guarding him is by drawing the flag rather than allowing a touchdown.

– D’Shawn Jamison made a pretty slick INT while jumping over a falling wide receiver.

– Chris Brown pile drived a WR into the ground during a DB-WR screen drill. He’s taking advantage of Brandon Jones being sidelined.

Injury News:

– Marqez Bimage was still in a green no-contact jersey. Caleb Johnson was not!

– Anthony Cook dressed out, but was limited in practice. He did not participate in the 1–on–1’s or WR/DB drills.

– Christian Jones rolled his ankle early in practice, but returned. Should not be that serious.

– BJ Foster took a helmet to the knee and was being evaluated. Doubtful that it is very serious.

– Tom Herman said Keondre Coburn’s “blood levels have been good.”

Trying to decide how long I can read that Okafor is at RT before I get triggered. I think I’ll give it til the Spring game, but man, it seems like it would be a huge mistake to keep giving all the first team RT reps to Okafor. Hopefully once the pads go on, having a true edge rusher like Ossai will give the staff a good idea of whether Okafor can hold up on the outside quickly.

Sam’s gotta start hitting those deep posts and go routes. For him and for the team offense overall, that has to be the next step in development. 

Josh Moore has looked insanely quick in the few clips I’ve seen of him this spring. He looks absolutely unguardable. I think he’s going to have a huge year if he can stay healthy.

Edited by Burt Macklin

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sam’s gotta start hitting those deep posts and go routes. For him and for the team offense overall, that has to be the next step in development. 

Agree 100%. It's what will take him from a very good college QB to an elite one and potential NFL prospect. 

If we are going to start kicking ass and taking names again we will need to reestablish the big play scoring. 50, 60 yard bombs, 40 yard scampers, punt return TDs - that's how you blow teams out without a second thought. 

Last season was fun - but there was none of that (or very little) and it was frustrating. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I guess I have heard that requirement a lot (nickel needing to be physical for the run game). I just don't see him at field corner in all that space against Big 12 receivers. Or maybe I'm being dramatic and not as many are as tall as I imagine, but I'm thinking about the Iowa State types (and LJH and CJ for us) who are 6'3"+ lining up against him.

IT quick practice notes

The team is back to its regular Monday-Wednesday-Friday-Saturday scrimmage routine.

So far, in the two padded practices, there has already been a lot of scrimmaging. Yesterday was perhaps the most physical practice I can recall hearing about, with the defense doling out most of the pain. These hits seem to be emanating from stiff competition at linebacker and safety.

With Brandon Jones out, Chris Brown has been taking advantage of his first team reps and is becoming much more than the undisciplined head-hunter he's been known for in the past. He's playing at a high level, "may be playing better than BJ Foster right now." Foster of course is probably swimming a bit with all the conflict that comes with playing nickel.

DeMarvion Overshown has been getting stronger in practice as his knee does the same. "He's hitting everything in sight. Still not sure how they get him on the field, though." That question likely won't be answered until September but it's going to need to be answered positively.

Herman praised Ayodele Adeoye after practice, stating essentially, "that's the guy we recruited." I fact-checked that an indeed heard he's playing pretty well. I asked if he made a mental jump or physical. "Both I guess, because he's cutting loose and not worrying about his knee. But he's processing faster. There will always be some range limitations."

"Processing faster" is music to my ears. Let's hope to hear about continued maturation in that regard. If Dele and McCulloch consistently hit their run fits this defense will be better than last year.

Behind AA is true freshman Marcus Tillman, "He's not the biggest or freakiest but he's a good athlete and is picking things up."

Caleb Johnson has looked promising. The former Juco player is knocking the rust off after missing most of last season and is still adjusting to the more ambitious tempo of big-time college ball, but he belongs and has plenty of speed.

Even the walk-on linebackers were mixing it up, as Cort Jaquess and Luke Brockermeyer got in the action. Neither are the athletes the scholly players are, but they provide the stereotypical walk-on effort. They're physical too and look like potential special teams contributors.

I didn't hear much about the offense. Herman singled out Ingram looking good with the added weight, but we've mentioned that.

Question.

THis Floyd Bulging neck disc stuff.  when was this discovered?  Sorry for ripping off a scab if it has been talked about already,  but was this well known during recruiting that he could be out for a good amount to forever?   Granted apples to oranges, but all the operators and folks ive known with these type of injuries end up with surgery and fusions.  I'm just curious how the staff went all in on this potential never play a down guy.    Yes I know these things can possible reabsorb, but hell ive had 2 buldging discs and a ruptured one in my l5s1 for 5 years so far so its possible this thing doesnt naturally heal on its own

again ive been out and way for a bit so im sure this has been spoken of before.

TIA

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I like that herman talks to players. Not like all my coaches did with us,  but actually has conversations with them. That's real shit right there.

Also, it was great to see Ehlinger coaching Ghirmai. Of course these are small bits to take away from the video, but it will lead to huge results next season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Question.

THis Floyd Bulging neck disc stuff.  when was this discovered?  Sorry for ripping off a scab if it has been talked about already,  but was this well known during recruiting that he could be out for a good amount to forever?   Granted apples to oranges, but all the operators and folks ive known with these type of injuries end up with surgery and fusions.  I'm just curious how the staff went all in on this potential never play a down guy.    Yes I know these things can possible reabsorb, but hell ive had 2 buldging discs and a ruptured one in my l5s1 for 5 years so far so its possible this thing doesnt naturally heal on its own

TIA

Floyd played in the All-Star game in January.

I hadn't heard anything about these complications until about two weeks ago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s a bit excsssive. We play in the Big 12 and injuries happen. If Jamison is good, he’ll get on the field plenty over the next two years.

Hence the use of "probably" and "start." To start, he's got boyce and green ahead of him. Unless you're talking about KR/PR

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Floyd played in the All-Star game in January.

I hadn't heard anything about these complications until about two weeks ago.

Machinator is correct. The kid played his entire senior season and All Star games without any apparent issues. But yeah, if this turns out to be something that can be fixed while still allowing him to play football, we will be really really lucky. 

11 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Question.

TIA

I don't remember hearing about it before he signed. If he needs surgery, it could be anything from taking out a small bit of disc, a one-level ACDF (fusing 2 of the 7 neck bones together), to a major intervention. Even a one-level fusion doesn't necessarily mean no football. My guess is that if he has not seen a spine surgeon yet (and often the referral isn't made until nonsurgical care has obviously failed), it may be that literally no one knows his chances for whether and when he may be definitively over this. Disclaimer: I have not operated on a spine in years and do not keep up with much of the latest and greatest.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I don't remember hearing about it before he signed. If he needs surgery, it could be anything from taking out a small bit of disc, a one-level ACDF (fusing 2 of the 7 neck bones together), to a major intervention. Even a one-level fusion doesn't necessarily mean no football. My guess is that if he has not seen a spine surgeon yet (and often the referral isn't made until nonsurgical care has obviously failed), it may be that literally no one knows his chances for whether and when he may be definitively over this. Disclaimer: I have not operated on a spine in years and do not keep up with much of the latest and greatest.

Aside from the above, a friend of mine is head of radiology at a large teaching hospital and he told me that a great many people have bulging disks with no pain and no bulging disk with lots of pain. IOWs don't trust the radiographs. My opinion is that spine surgery is very risky as far as outcomes so it should be a last resort type of procedure with first resort being PT, trigger point therapy, NSAIDs and lots of stretching exercise.

• Like 1

Bobby Burton: Tuesday

Injuries suck. There's no better way to say it. Particularly so when it involves a player who is one of the team's true difference makers. Such was the case on Monday.

BJ Foster sustained a head injury during practice. At this time, it's unclear to the public if it's a concussion. But it sure sounds like it, at least from a precautionary standpoint. Foster is one of just a handful of Texas players who make a difference in games on a regular basis. Whether it's his ability to put pressure on the quarterback in blitz situations or causing a big fumble, like he did in the Sugar Bowl, Texas simply doesn't have enough difference makers that they can be losing them to injury for extended periods of time.

Who are the true difference makers on this Texas roster - the ones who simply are irreplaceable because they do things that impact a game every time they step on the field? At the top of the heap, the list is short.

- Sam Ehlinger 
- Sam Cosmi 
- BJ Foster

So if I had to start a list of the team's three most important players, those would be my first three. Those three guys can't be injured for Texas to be its best in 2019. Foster and Ehlinger simply make too many positive, off-schedule plays compared to anyone who might replace them. Cosmi's consistency, tenacity and ability is such a rare mix.

So who are the ones after that, that next level of expectation?

- Zach Shackelford 
- Collin Johnson 
- Devin Duvernay 
- Keaontay Ingram 
- Joe Ossai 
- Brandon Jones 
- Ta'Quon Graham 
- Caden Sterns

Incoming grad transfer Parker Braun, a two-time all-conference starter for Georgia Tech, would make the list, too. Braun might even be among the very top group if he can pick up the Texas system quickly once he arrives.

Some might ask why Malcolm Roach doesn't make this list. I feel like Roach has yet to really prove himself as a standout, as someone the other team has to account for. Clearly, he is a positive player on the team. But to be among the top 11 or 12 most impactful players on the team, Roach needs to produce more in 2019. I also picked two players from the defensive front - Ossai and Graham - over Roach. I think Graham is close to being an all-conference caliber player this coming year, and based on feedback from those inside the program, Ossai could be the team's next defensive star.

One player who I think doesn't get enough credit for his play is Devin Duvernay. All Duvernay ever does is catch the ball. Every ball. It's not easy being that consistent. He also routinely grades out as the team's best blocking receiver. His consistent effort is undeniable. Like Andrew Beck a year ago, I expect Duvernay to be a team leader in all the requisite ways this coming season.

The Horns practice next on Thursday because the Horns' Pro Day is on Wednesday. Texas will follow the Thursday practice up with a scrimmage on Saturday. And hopefully there will be no new injuries for us to report.

35 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Machinator is correct. The kid played his entire senior season and All Star games without any apparent issues.

Seems like more of a chronic issue than something acute, though, no? i.e. he could have been playing through it to some degree - or it wasn't fully diagnosed until he got to UT.