When a DA doesn't want to indict a cop

PilotsError

Would love to see some video of the shooting.  I bet she had nothing in her hands.  And no, for those of you about to comment, stealing a car does not mean the death penalty.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/crime/article/Jury-clears-deputies-who-fatally-shot-suspected-13685000.php?fbclid=IwAR2dJZJsRSkzXyJZUbrE2eYz2OuMuG02R3AnSUfEhCe4plYYoEI9I-rK4ws

A Bexar County grand jury on Tuesday declined to indict four deputies involved in the fatal shooting of a suspected car thief that also resulted in the death of a 6-year-old boy, according to the district attorney's office.

The deputies, who ranged from 2- to 27-year veterans, opened fire on Amanda Jones, 30, in Schertz, Texas, on Dec. 21, 2017, as she stood on the front porch of a mobile home and threatened to shoot them, officials said. She was shot multiple times and killed.

Inside the mobile home Jones had been trying to break into was 6-year-old Kameron Prescott, a student at Wiederstein Elementary School, and his family. One of the bullets the deputies fired at Jones pierced the home, fragmented and struck Kameron, who was walking in a front hallway at the time.

The shooting followed an hours-long chase through Northeast Bexar County, during which Jones pointed what deputies "feared was a firearm" at them, threatening to shoot. Investigators later determined she was not armed after an exhaustive search of the area did not turn up a firearm.

"Jones verbally stated to these deputies that she had a gun and that she was going to shoot them," according to a report of the incident from the sheriff's office. "All four deputies saw an object in Jones' hand as she pointed it at them. All four deputies then fired at Jones, causing ballistic injuries that resulted in her death at the scene."

Paramedics rushed Kameron to a nearby hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

"After carefully reviewing and considering the evidence, the grand jury concluded that criminal charges were not appropriate against the Bexar County Sheriff's deputies involved," reads a statement from the district attorney's office.

Bexar County District Attorney Joe Gonzales said he thinks the panel made the right decision.

"I respect and agree with the decision of the grand jury in this case," he said.

The DA's office had provided the Bexar County Sheriff's Department with "preliminary clearance letters" in June, prompting Salazar said the deputies — John Aguillon, 27 years of service; George Herrera, 16 years; Jesse Arias, seven years; and Reserve Deputy Johnny Longoria, two years — would return to patrol.

1. it went to a grand jury so not exactly on the DA

2. in Texas stealing about anything can mean the death penalty especially at night...but not necessarily from a cop, but from the owner of the property

when I was a student at UT there was an incident where a parole officer heard his car being broken into at night and yelled down from the 3rd floor apartment he lived in and the suspects told him to fuck off and kept trying to take his stereo so he got his gun and shot and killed the 16yo.....who's family said he was "mixed in with the wrong crowd".....one of whom was his aunt

parole officer was not charged with anything and fully cleared......stop stealing people's shit if you do not like getting shot

3. too bad for the kid, but the parent is equally responsible

• Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

2. in Texas stealing about anything can mean the death penalty especially at night...but not necessarily from a cop, but from the owner of the property

when I was a student at UT there was an incident where a parole officer heard his car being broken into at night and yelled down from the 3rd floor apartment he lived in and the suspects told him to fuck off and kept trying to take his stereo so he got his gun and shot and killed the 16yo.....who's family said he was "mixed in with the wrong crowd".....one of whom was his aunt

parole officer was not charged with anything and fully cleared......stop stealing people's shit if you do not like getting shot

The DA is almost completely the master of a grand jury.  It can indict a ham sandwich or no-bill Adolf Hitler.  All within the control of the DA.  That clearance letters were sent eight months ago told you how this grand jury was gonna go.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The DA is almost completely the master of a grand jury.  It can indict a ham sandwich or no-bill Adolf Hitler.  All within the control of the DA.  That clearance letters were sent eight months ago told you how this grand jury was gonna go.

This.  The percentage of times a grand jury deviates from where the DA wants them to go is surely in the low single digits.

#1 and #3 are awful points for reasons addressed above.

#2 is merely very bad (four armed police officers with a cornered suspect is not the same as someone attempting to halt the theft of their property, either in reality or in the eyes of the law).

13 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

Well, the DA is the one that presents the evidence.  If they want a no-bill, they can do a shitty enough job to ensure that they get a no-bill.  Let's not pretend that the Grand Jury is the real power in the courtroom during the indictment.

*TwiceHorn beat me to it.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns
*edit
  • Like 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Yep, it is usually a pretty unholy union between the DAs office and local police and law enforcement. 

That there are people out there who do not know/doubt this makes me shudder.

They depend on those very people to keep the wheel spinning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

Didn't work for Farmers Branch off-duty cop a few years ago. He was convicted of murder, I think.

There needs to be a federal law enforcement agency that exists solely to prosecute police misconduct.  It's the only way to ever get real accountability.

If the DA hammers the cop, the cops who work in his jurisdiction will band together with thin blue line bullshit and completely mail it in, which makes it impossible for the DA to successfully prosecute actual crime.

County level DAs should never, ever, ever, ever, EVER, be involved in the prosecution of police officers.

• Like 3

I thought that's what internal affairs are for?

The only sad part to this story is the innocent kid. I don't trust cops and have valid, first hand, experiences to make me have that view. This woman is a perfect example of natural selection. I mean, what do you expect when you yell I'm gonna shoot! at usually itchy trigger fingered people?

On 3/14/2019 at 4:43 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

There needs to be a federal law enforcement agency that exists solely to prosecute police misconduct.  It's the only way to ever get real accountability.

If the DA hammers the cop, the cops who work in his jurisdiction will band together with thin blue line bullshit and completely mail it in, which makes it impossible for the DA to successfully prosecute actual crime.

County level DAs should never, ever, ever, ever, EVER, be involved in the prosecution of police officers.

Well, really that is the role of the FBI, or should be.  They get kind of busy with major federal crimes like college entrance fraud and human trafficking.

Please not another federal agency.

Just curious here, but how important is the average PD to the average DA’s case load and conviction rate?

Very, but that influence pales in comparison to the impact of maintaining the endorsement of LE agencies when elections for DA occur.

* This is especially true in Texas because we love to breathe through our mouths, grunt, and pull the lever for whoever seems to be “tough on crime”.

** No CR
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I thought that's what internal affairs are for?

The only sad part to this story is the innocent kid. I don't trust cops and have valid, first hand, experiences to make me have that view. This woman is a perfect example of natural selection. I mean, what do you expect when you yell I'm gonna shoot! at usually itchy trigger fingered people?

You're very quick to accept the story-line as presented by the only living witnesses (i.e. the police).  I'd love to see bodycam footage of the event immediately leading up to the firing upon an unarmed civilian, car thief or otherwise, in front of an occupied motor home before I start waxing philosphical on the true nature of the losses of life.  As we've seen time and again, a cop's loyalty to truth is almost always trumped by their instinctual self-preservation.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns

31 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

You're very quick to accept the story-line as presented by the only living witnesses (i.e. the police).  I'd love to see bodycam footage of the event immediately leading up to the firing upon an unarmed civilian, car thief or otherwise, in front of an occupied motor home before I start waxing philosphical on the true nature of the losses of life.  As we've seen time and again, a cop's loyalty to truth is almost always trumped by their instinctual self-preservation.

Yeah, for a second there, I was like hmmm, this sounds like a horrible, but defensible situation.  Then I remembered that believing that required accepting the cops' word for how it went down.

Would love to see some video of the shooting.  I bet she had nothing in her hands.  And no, for those of you about to comment, stealing a car does not mean the death penalty.
https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/crime/article/Jury-clears-deputies-who-fatally-shot-suspected-13685000.php?fbclid=IwAR2dJZJsRSkzXyJZUbrE2eYz2OuMuG02R3AnSUfEhCe4plYYoEI9I-rK4ws

A Bexar County grand jury on Tuesday declined to indict four deputies involved in the fatal shooting of a suspected car thief that also resulted in the death of a 6-year-old boy, according to the district attorney's office.
The deputies, who ranged from 2- to 27-year veterans, opened fire on Amanda Jones, 30, in Schertz, Texas, on Dec. 21, 2017, as she stood on the front porch of a mobile home and threatened to shoot them, officials said. She was shot multiple times.

Damn, RIP.
1e256d66acfbcde623e336caecc5865e.jpg

18 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, for a second there, I was like hmmm, this sounds like a horrible, but defensible situation.  Then I remembered that believing that required accepting the cops' word for how it went down.

Again, right there with y'all on distrust for cops. For me it's not just their word. It's also the word of the parent(s) or whoever else was in the house, neighbors, etc.

Now had there been no other witnesses then I probably would be more skeptical. I don't think that's the case here. 

On 3/14/2019 at 11:29 AM, TwiceHorn said:

On 3/14/2019 at 11:32 AM, Brisketexan said:

This.  The percentage of times a grand jury deviates from where the DA wants them to go is surely in the low single digits.

That's it the DA doesn't just cut out the middleman and put former prosecutors, cops, etc on the grand jury.  A UT alum at the Chronicle won a pulitzer for writing about it, not that it changed anything I'm sure.

Bernard

Edited by WBT

On 3/16/2019 at 11:18 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Well, really that is the role of the FBI, or should be.  They get kind of busy with major federal crimes like college entrance fraud and human trafficking.

Please not another federal agency.

Yeah, I don't care if an existing agency does it, but you just can't rely on an entity that needs cooperation from local law enforcement to get their job done handling this.