2019 MLB thread

spystud13

How long will the Marlins give Lewis Brinson to figure it out at the Major League level?

After Sunday’s 5-0 loss to the Nationals, manager Don Mattingly implied there is some urgency for Brinson to show improvement. A year ago, when Brinson was a rookie, he was given the entire season in the big leagues to work through his struggles, and he finished hitting .199 with 11 home runs and 42 RBIs in 109 games. He did miss some time due to injury. This year, the Marlins have a shorter leash on the 24-year-old center fielder. He’s off to a .179 start, and is 1-for-27 with 16 strikeouts in his last 11 games.

Unless things turn around soon, a Minor League stint is certainly possible. That could be soon. Among the issues Brinson is struggling with is making contact. His strikeout rate is 32.4 percent, higher than a year ago (29.6 percent). Bottom line is Brinson has to figure out how to hit breaking pitches. He is 1-for-23 (.043) against them so far.

That ain’t good. 

20 hours ago, Helobious said:

From The Baseball Gauge: Teams with the most WAR from homegrown players over the past decade

1. Texas - 153.1

2. NYY - 149.4

3. TB - 148.2

4. Pitt - 142.6

5. Bal - 137.3

Wat.  Homegrown means they won for their parent club.  #2 for Texas is Rourk.  3 is Odubel Herrera.  

21 hours ago, Helobious said:

From The Baseball Gauge: Teams with the most WAR from homegrown players over the past decade

1. Texas - 153.1

2. NYY - 149.4

3. TB - 148.2

4. Pitt - 142.6

5. Bal - 137.3

Back to this.  I think your shit is all retarded. What you linked is a 5 yr war from 09-2013. 

The full 09-2018 war (which would be 10 yrs) is the following top 5:

1. Tampa - 236.1

2. NYY - 214.1

3. Texas - 200.1

4. Cubs - 198.8

5. St. Louis - 192.8 

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Maybe my shit is all retarded after looking at it again. Math is hard.

Maybe it’s a shitty calculation, or it’s too smart for all of us. It also doesn’t seem to account for homegrown players acquired long ago that still contributed in that timeframe. For example Jeter’s 09-14 numbers don’t seem to be counted, which would add about 400 WAR or something to the Yankees total. 

Maybe it’s a shitty calculation, or it’s too smart for all of us. It also doesn’t seem to account for homegrown players acquired long ago that still contributed in that timeframe. For example Jeter’s 09-14 numbers don’t seem to be counted, which would add about 400 WAR or something to the Yankees total. 
.945f9ae1cff3f4e3f1ed50ebf6b4a41d.gif
  • Like 1

it almost looks like they took just the grouping from 2009, and kept track of what that exact group did for the next however many years, for whatever teams they played for (I guess?).  although the word "homegrown" definitely implies they were contributing to the team they came up with.

just taking altuve, bregman, springer, and correa, you get ~90 war since 2013, so that 51 figure obviously isn't accurate, unless they had some drastic negative's included (not really possible).

the number of players is also odd.  astros with only 23, which is 7-10 lower than the other lowest numbers.  obviously shows where our farm system was about 10 years ago.

15 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Made it to Citi Field to catch a Mets game tonight. Fantastic park and great food and beer.

Still haven't gone out there for a game. My friends all live in Queens and want to go to a game sometime soon, but I will probably skip going. I took a friend out to the Bronx for his first game there recently and we sat in section 204. Within 15 minutes he told me why he understands why I enjoy sitting out there.

All was peaceful between the Mets and Phillies on Wednesday night at Citi Field. Yeah, Todd Frazier was hit by a pitch thrown by Vince Velasquez, and J.T. Realmuto was hit by Jason Vargas, but nothing came of either HBP. However, Rhys Hoskins was able to get sweet revenge off right-hander Jacob Rhame with a two-run homer in the ninth as the Phillies shut out the Mets, 6-0.

It was Rhame who almost hit Hoskins with a high fastball over his head in Tuesday’s game, so as he ran the bases, Hoskins took his sweet time, with a trot clocked at 34.2 seconds. His second slowest run around the bases took 28.9 seconds.

The 34.2-second trot is the slowest recorded by Statcast since tracking began in 2015, beating the record of 34.1 set by Victor Martinez in 2016.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, spystud13 said:

The Hartford Yard Goats (don't ask) minor league team (Rockies AA affiliate) plays 10:35am games on Wednesday which is great because I work nights so I can go before work. When Vlad Jr's team came through town I had to go see him play. His first two at bats he just crushed base hits, an RBI double and an RBI single. The ball just explodes off his bat. In the bottom of the 6th my buddies and I decided to go get lunch because the Yard Goats were ass. We were out in right field eating and I suggested we go sit out in the left field bleachers because Vladdy was coming up in the next inning and, well, just maybe...yanno.

We sit in the last row (there are only 8-10 rows out there, not a deep stand) and Vladdy comes up and HITS THE FUCKIN' BALL OVER OUR HEADS for a mammoth home run. I was a convert that day. He's just a player you gotta see to believe. I hope he absolutely crushes major league pitching.

• Like 2