2019 MLB thread

spystud13

It got worse for Tyler O’Neill. 

Cardinals outfielder Tyler O'Neill left Monday's game due to right arm soreness, just one inning after making a hard throw to the plate.

Drew Robinson, recalled earlier in the day from Triple-A Memphis, came on to pinch-hit for O'Neill in the third inning of St. Louis' game against the Brewers at Miller Park.

In the bottom of the second inning, O'Neill tried to make a throw home on Freddy Peralta's RBI single. The throw, which clocked in at 96.7 mph, according to Statcast, sailed far past catcher Yadier Molina to the backstop.

O'Neill was making his second straight start in place of Harrison Bader, who has been sidelined with soreness in his right hamstring.

The Tampa Bay Rays have placed ace Blake Snell on the 10-day injured list with a broken toe, the team announced Tuesday.

Snell, the reigning American League Cy Young Award winner, suffered a fractured fourth toe on his right foot when he got out of the shower and then attempted to move a large granite item.

"Really dumb," Snell told reporters Tuesday. "It's like a three-piece set and this pole that comes up like 2½, 3 feet. Went to move it, I lifted it up and it wasn't glued to the pole and the pole came crushing down."

The move is retroactive to Sunday, and Snell is expected to miss only one start.

Snell, 26, is 2-1 with a 2.16 ERA in four starts this season. The left-hander has 36 strikeouts in 25 innings.

To fill the spot on the roster, the Rays called up Emilio Pagan from Triple-A Durham.

Just walk around it, bro. 

3 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Because of work I've been slow catching up on mlb stuff today.

Holy crap, 3 HR's in one game?  Would have thought that would have generated more buzz on this thread.

I remember when he signed with the Brewers, MLB Network did a feature with him from Miller Park. Just him and one of their guys, walking around talking about hitting in that park, and Yelich was excited about the prospect of playing there. The piece ended with MLBN predicting a big breakout for him offensively, and man were they right. I remember thinking they were on to something at the time, but nobody could have imagined this. He's basically prime Pujols since the second half of last year. Scorching.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 5:54 PM, Scraps said:

While i realize it isnt sustainable I think it is amazingly hilarious the O's have more wins than NY and Boston this deep into the season even if its less than 20 games.

Also wtf are the Rockies doing??

They are missing Dahl and Murphy, while the rest of their lineup is taking most nights off.

20 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Pretty sure 7 of Yelich’s 8 hrs this year have been at home against the cardinals. In 5 games. That’s just ridiculous.

Goldschmidt has hit 5 of his 7 in those games, too.  He's batting something like .414 career in Miller Park with a 1.3 something OPS.

33 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

They are missing Dahl and Murphy, while the rest of their lineup is taking most nights off.

Dahl has been on the verge of breaking out but he can’t stay healthy. I don’t know if it’s fluke shit, or his style of play, but that’s been the story of his career so far. 

On 4/14/2019 at 7:37 PM, spystud13 said:

And more on the Miller move... 

I know Stamets still has plenty of options. Miller could have faked SS until Lindor returns. 

This REALLY has to piss Miller off. 

The Indians on Tuesday made a swap of infielders ahead of their second game in a three-game series against the Mariners at T-Mobile Park, selecting the contract of Mike Freeman from Triple-A Columbus and optioning Eric Stamets to Columbus.

Freeman joined Cleveland's lineup in Seattle, starting at shortstop and batting ninth.

The 31-year-old is off to a productive start to the 2019 season, with a 1.008 OPS and three homers over nine games, splitting time at second base, shortstop and third. He missed a bulk of Spring Training due to a right knee injury, which hindered his chances to break camp with the big league club.

Freeman showed enough production before the injury, however, for the club to keep him around on a Minor League deal. Freeman initially signed with the club in November. An 11th-round Draft pick by the D-backs in 2010, Freeman is a career .134/.211/.207 hitter over 91 plate appearances -- including just one in 2018, with the Cubs -- in 57 games.

Stamets had been the fill-in for Francisco Lindor while the All-Star shortstop recovers from a left ankle injury, and though he showed plus defense, Stamets’ offensive struggles were glaring. He hit 2-for-41 with 24 strikeouts and five walks over 15 games. An Ohio native who grew up an Indians fan, Stamets made his Major League debut on Opening Day.

-1 bWAR, 66.2 MLB innings at SS. 

This is an interesting study validating what we all know. Umpiring in MLB sucks. Here is a summary and link.

In 2018, MLB umpires, made 34,294 incorrect ball and strike calls for an average of 14 per game or 1.6 per inning. Many umpires well exceeded this number. Some of these flubbed calls were game changing.
https://www.bu.edu/today/2019/mlb-umpires-strike-zone-accuracy/

• Like 2

12 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Yelich just did it again. 3-run shot to make it 8 hrs in 6 games vs the cards.

Most single-season HR vs. one opponent
1) Lou Gehrig (NYY): 14 vs. CLE, 1936
2-T) Roger Maris (NYY): 13 vs. CHW, 1961
2-T) Joe Adcock (MIL Braves): 13 vs. BRO, 1956
2-T) Hank Sauer (CHC): 13 vs. PIT, 1954
2-T) Jimmie Foxx (PHI Athletics): 13 vs. DET, 1932

The Brewers have 13 more games with the Cards.

Most single-season HR vs. one opponent
1) Lou Gehrig (NYY): 14 vs. CLE, 1936
2-T) Roger Maris (NYY): 13 vs. CHW, 1961
2-T) Joe Adcock (MIL Braves): 13 vs. BRO, 1956
2-T) Hank Sauer (CHC): 13 vs. PIT, 1954
2-T) Jimmie Foxx (PHI Athletics): 13 vs. DET, 1932

25 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I’m impressed/surprised the most recent year on there is 1961.
Although I guess before expansion/interleague , teams probably played each other 50 times a year.

Good point.  According to Baseball Reference, the 1961 NYY played CHW 18 times.  All of the others played 22 times.

oh good, more retarded benches and bullpens clearing because someone flipped his bat. the culture of hypersensitivity is by far my least favorite part of baseball. The only sport i follow where celebrating a big play gets you attacked. how do baseball players reconcile the following- they love to tell you that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports, but then when you actually do it and hit it 400 feet they say, "celebrate that and you'll pay." fucking gay as hell. someone needs to sit down the entire league and have a come to jesus talk about this shit.

Edited by Goo Punch

I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but I like it. Let the guys flip their bat if they want, and let the people who want to retaliate do what they want. As long as these types of situations don’t result in injury, I enjoy watching it. It just adds drama between two teams, and sports are just more fun to watch when there is legit animosity between two teams or two people.  I love watching a badass bad flip then thinking “ohh he’s probably getting hit the next time he comes up to bat” and seeing that result in what just happened right there (assuming nobody got injured).

And I realize the pitcher who intentionally hit the batter is either butt hurt, or was given orders by a butt hurt manager, but it’s still interesting to watch it play out. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but I like it. Let the guys flip their bat if they want, and let the people who want to retaliate do what they want. As long as these types of situations don’t result in injury, I enjoy watching it. It just adds drama between two teams, and sports are just more fun to watch when there is legit animosity between two teams or two people.  I love watching a badass bad flip then thinking “ohh he’s probably getting hit the next time he comes up to bat” and seeing that result in what just happened right there (assuming nobody got injured).

And I realize the pitcher who intentionally hit the batter is either butt hurt, or was given orders by a butt hurt manager, but it’s still interesting to watch it play out. 

And the bigger that bat flip, the bigger the fat lip.

101615-mlb-jose-bautista-how-do-you-stop

GettyImages-531652558.jpg