Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

well, interesting strategy Cotton. Let's see if it plays out.

two of the lowest rated 'cruits were asked to look around, or wait until 2nd signing period. Seegars was an early take from all the way in NC, the lowest rated in the class. And Victory Vaka was a human cube at DT, but at least he wasn't like that FL DT who almost committed to A&M but gladly went with Gata...his 247 profile says he weighs 480 pounds. He could star in My 500 Pound Life on Bravo Network or whatever shit.

Only thing, though, is A&M has decent depth along DL and certainly for DTs. But just ok for linebackers. With only one linebacker signed up, and now told to look around, sure hope Jimbo has a higher rated LB in sight. Nothing so far, late into the first day of early signing period's first day.

1 hour ago, PHLaggie said:

Only thing, though, is A&M has decent depth along DL and certainly for DTs. But just ok for linebackers. With only one linebacker signed up, and now told to look around, sure hope Jimbo has a higher rated LB in sight. Nothing so far, late into the first day of early signing period's first day.

Enter Shadrach Banks...

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1

There was a lot of smoke about him signing with Aggies; maybe that's why Vaka was asked to look around.

That's 3 of the top 10 SDEs. But still wish there was a higher rated DT; the one WDE is decent and joins the 3 signed last year so hopefully the dedicated pass rush is going to be stout. That DL isn't going to have anybody lighter than 250 lbs.

That brings the A&M class into Top 10. But realistically, it's the Top 3, then a big gap.  10th ranked feels decent but will not make much difference, just keeping up with the rest of the SEC not named Bama.

Bama, Ohio State, and Georgia each of 4 or more 5-stars and 11 or more 4-stars and 5 or fewer 3-stars.  Not sure if Smart is going to get over the hump next season or it'll never happen for them, but Bama and Ohio State are pretty much guaranteed to make the playoffs for the next many years, going by the stacked classes and coaching in place.

If Bama wins it all this year which looks likely, what's Saban's incentive to stay?  He could just for thrills but he's got nothing more to prove at the college level and seems plenty wealthy.  He's going to lose several coaches probably in the offseason which he's come to hate.  He could probably keep his money and stay on in the program somewhere.    

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

If Bama wins it all this year which looks likely, what's Saban's incentive to stay?  He could just for thrills but he's got nothing more to prove at the college level and seems plenty wealthy.  He's going to lose several coaches probably in the offseason which he's come to hate.  He could probably keep his money and stay on in the program somewhere.    

For the same reason Urban will probably get back into coaching one day even though he has a cyst in his brain and his family has begged him not to - elite coaches are, by and large, hyper-competitive assholes. Football almost certainly takes up 90-95% of Saban's time and I doubt he could even imagine that not being the case.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Wow. Totally missed that A&M landed Tunmise.

He never got over the fact that Texas told him he's a DT 3 technique and not a WDE.  I have a buddy who is tied in at OU and he said that there was an ”altercation” with Tunmise and one of the OU coaches who told him the same thing.  No wonder his final 3 were Alabama, Florida and A&M.  My question is why would you do a Horns down at the end of your ”video” if you don't play Texas and they weren't in your final 3?  Talk about free rent 24/7/365.  I am willing to bet that if he plays, it won't be at DE.

2 hours ago, Harvdog said:

He never got over the fact that Texas told him he's a DT 3 technique and not a WDE.  I have a buddy who is tied in at OU and he said that there was an ”altercation” with Tunmise and one of the OU coaches who told him the same thing.  No wonder his final 3 were Alabama, Florida and A&M.  My question is why would you do a Horns down at the end of your ”video” if you don't play Texas and they weren't in your final 3?  Talk about free rent 24/7/365.  I am willing to bet that if he plays, it won't be at DE.

gonna shit on him when he portals within a year

8 hours ago, Harvdog said:

I am willing to bet that if he plays, it won't be at DE.

A lot of people bet that Leal wasn't ever going to play anything other than in the middle. And yet he lines up all over the DL and his "home" is as the SDE and he often doesn't just set the edge by also rushes the passer.  And Leal was about 280 pounds coming out of high school.

Not saying we know exactly what'll happen with Tunmise; he is shorter than Leal, for one, and maybe he will be used more akin to how Justin Madubuike was used-- where Justin spent his redshirt year putting on about 60 pounds in order to play the DT spot.

Also not sure whether he will definitely portal next year or not. There is plenty of talent along the DL now, and they will all have to compete against each other to be in the two-deep and get meaningful playing time next year.  Unless Bobby Brown declares early, he will be one of the starters, as will be Leal. That leaves one true DE and one DT/DE out of about a dozen 4 and 5-stars in redshirt freshman and incoming classes.

9 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

For the same reason Urban will probably get back into coaching one day even though he has a cyst in his brain and his family has begged him not to - elite coaches are, by and large, hyper-competitive assholes. Football almost certainly takes up 90-95% of Saban's time and I doubt he could even imagine that not being the case.

exactly. I don't see Saban getting weary and tired of coaching. It seems like he has a well oiled machine and if it keeps him in the hunt every single year for the next 5+ years and likely win the championship more than 50% of the time, then I don't see him just walking into the sunset and go golfing or spend time at the beach sipping pina coladas. He could probably keep coaching well into his late 70s (he is 69 now).

1 hour ago, PHLaggie said:

A lot of people bet that Leal wasn't ever going to play anything other than in the middle. And yet he lines up all over the DL and his "home" is as the SDE and he often doesn't just set the edge by also rushes the passer.  And Leal was about 280 pounds coming out of high school.

Not saying we know exactly what'll happen with Tunmise; he is shorter than Leal, for one, and maybe he will be used more akin to how Justin Madubuike was used-- where Justin spent his redshirt year putting on about 60 pounds in order to play the DT spot.

Also not sure whether he will definitely portal next year or not. There is plenty of talent along the DL now, and they will all have to compete against each other to be in the two-deep and get meaningful playing time next year.  Unless Bobby Brown declares early, he will be one of the starters, as will be Leal. That leaves one true DE and one DT/DE out of about a dozen 4 and 5-stars in redshirt freshman and incoming classes.

The difference is he thinks he's the 2nd coming of Miles Garrett.  He’s not.  Watch the film.  He has a slow first step and isn't fast.  He has the frame to add good weight and be a force from the 3.  He doesn't think that.  He thinks he will be lining up against TE’s and tackles..he won't be.  His tape show impressive ability but he disappears for too many plays.  He was dominant against 15-16 year olds because he was bigger and stronger.  Big difference going against a 21 year old man.  I think telling him he should move inside and play the 3 is smart.  He thinks something else.  Time will tell but I think he will play inside

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Harvdog said:

i heard he sucks so bad we called him to reject his commitment then lit his loi on fire.

53 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You’re very smarmy this week. Really feeling your oats. 

Just trying to ride a wave, it's rare for us suffering from BAS.

Still trying to maintain perspective as well. Like I said in the UT 2021 thread, you guys may be at an ebb but dang you're still managing to get meaningful commits and a top 20 class. Whereas Jimbo is in the "show me/prove it" zone, UT is in the "they're not as good as they usually are, but could still be as quickly as next year" zone.

Besides, it's actually more fun in the rare occasions when both are doing well and most of the state's top talent stays home. We need to frickin cut off the recruit train to osu and bama. Ou and lsu at least feel like they have had zones (dallas area and easy texas, respectively) from which they have recruited well for a while..  no reason why bama and osu have toeholds in the state as well.

16 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Besides, it's actually more fun in the rare occasions when both are doing well and most of the state's top talent stays home. We need to frickin cut off the recruit train to osu and bama. Ou and lsu at least feel like they have had zones (dallas area and easy texas, respectively) from which they have recruited well for a while..  no reason why bama and osu have toeholds in the state as well.

you left off OU and LSU.  Lots of outside colleges have toeholds in this state.  Especially when instate schools aren't playing for conference titles much less anything else.

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

you left off OU and LSU.  Lots of outside colleges have toeholds in this state.  Especially when instate schools aren't playing for conference titles much less anything else.

If you re-read my post, I specifically mentioned OU and LSU, and their somewhat regional toeholds in North Texas and in East Texas respectively.

The rest, I agree. In-state programs have to show they can develop the talent and win.

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

Who are the dumb fucks that opened the gate for the sec in this state again emoji848.png

Bama poaching top talent from Texas is a function of Bama consistently developing talent and winning championships and always being on national tv-- which they started to do about 2009 onward, which is a few years before A&M even joined SEC (and if we're being honest, before A&M had any inkling of blazing its own path for better or worse). It's not like Texas talent would be invisible to SEC if only A&M hadn't joined that conference. They're landing talent from all over the country-- even places like California and Michigan and Maryland. Their last year's class had just 3 Texans out of 25 taken; this year it's 5 out of 24 taken so far.

Heck, Bama lands even (failed) head coaches from all over the country simply as analysts or as assistants.

Top talent in Texas, meanwhile, is looking at in-state programs in askance.  Winning will fix it...especially for you guys more than us.  We've not done much winning.

2 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

If you re-read my post, I specifically mentioned OU and LSU, and their somewhat regional toeholds in North Texas and in East Texas respectively.

The rest, I agree. In-state programs have to show they can develop the talent and win.

I read it and totally brain melted.  Yes,  you did.  

xB1Lw.jpg

Spoiler

Offense

Quarterback (1): A
For the second straight year, Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies got their man in state. This time around, it was the signal-caller that the Aggie head coach had targeted as the No. 1 Texas gunslinger from the very beginning of the process. Truth be told, A&M could have landed just about anyone from a pretty deep Texas crop of QBs in 2021, passing on the likes of Jalen Milroe‍ (Alabama) and Dematrius Davis‍ (Auburn) in favor of the 6-4, 220-pound dual-threat from Denton, Eli Stowers‍.

Stowers was actually already an Aggie when I wrote this article for the 2020 class a year ago. Since then, Eli's journey has been an interesting one. As a junior, he led Guyer to the 6A state title game and amassed over 4,000 yards of total offense while throwing for 36 TDs (and 47 total scores) against just 4 picks. Unfortunately, Stowers suffered a knee injury early in the championship game loss and missed the entire off-season. Finally healthy, Stowers and Guyer are still alive in the playoffs despite losing most of the 2019 offense and navigating a head coaching change.

TexAgs

Stowers was A&M’s priority at QB from the outset.

Jimbo and Darrell Dickey were attracted to Eli in the early going and never looked back. As for the why, he's a really big, really fast and ridiculously athletic quarterback who possesses all of the tools to be an excellent passer (and runner) in Fisher's pro-style system. Stowers is also a competitor and a winner who has starred on the gridiron, the hardwood and in track and field (he won the 6A state high jump title as a sophomore) during his time at Guyer.

Few can evaluate the position as well as Jimbo, and he was able to see all of the state's best in the camp setting last summer. He zeroed in on Eli early, thanks in large part to a lot of uncoachable physical traits, immense upside and the same type of football IQ the head coach saw last year in Haynes King. Again, if you're getting who you want in the state of Texas and have a reputation as one of the best QB developers in the country, you're doing alright. That's where Fisher and the Aggies are today, thanks to adding Stowers' signature on Wednesday.

Looking ahead to '22: The Ags may very well end up continuing the in-state trend in what looks like a solid year at the position, but they're also likely to take the '22 search coast to coast. The nation's No. 1-ranked signal-caller is already off the board, with Southlake's Quinn Ewers‍ choosing Ohio State over the Ags after decommitting from Texas. Fisher and Dickey both have a standing relationship with Tennessee product and another five-star in Ty Simpson‍ and should have some staying power in that very high-profile recruitment (the Ags recently made Simpson's top-10). Closer to home, Bridgeland two-sport star Conner Weigman‍ (baseball) and Austin Westlake's Cade Klubnik‍ are the two QBs in Texas who are drawing the most attention from power programs as the 2020 season winds down. A&M has yet to offer, but it wouldn't come as a major shock to see the Ags fully engage and eventually land one of the two as their '22 centerpiece.

Running Back (1): INC
The Ags are pretty excited about Miami product Amari Daniels‍, who comes from the same high school program as Hurricane legend Willis McGahee and a pair of backs who starred under Jimbo Fisher at Florida State in Devonta Smith and Dalvin Cook. Fisher has been familiar with Daniels dating all the way back to his final season at Florida State and offered the 5-8, 200-pound bowling ball following a stellar camp performance in College Station during the summer of '19.

There are several reasons Fisher, Tommie Robinson and the Aggies targeted Amari from wire to wire. First and foremost, he's a natural playmaker who is a threat to score from anywhere on the field. Averaging nearly 10 yards per carry in his varsity career, Daniels is an intense competitor who has consistently risen to the occasion in big games, running for over 700 yards in Central's run to the 2019 state title and ripping perennial power Northwestern for around 150 yards earlier this fall in the biggest game of the year in Miami. The dude is grossly underrated by the services, to the point that this one reminds me a little bit of how I felt when A&M ever-so-briefly held a commit from a three-star playmaker out of Louisiana by the name of Travis Etienne.

Walker Lott, TexAgs

A&M coaches are working hard to add LJ Johnson to the 2021 haul.

The reason for the 'Incomplete' grade, of course, has to do with the fact that the Aggies' dogged pursuit of Cy-Fair's LJ Johnson Jr‍ will extend into the new year. Johnson decided to sign in February, where he's still looking like a good bet to wear Maroon & White or Burnt Orange. The five-star tailback is tough to get a read on and seems to have waffled back and forth between the state's two biggest programs, but if I had to give the Aggies or Longhorns the edge entering the holidays, I think I'd call the coveted runner a slight A&M lean.

Now that LJ has made the decision to let things play out (barring a stunning surprise later today), there's a lot of recruiting left to do here. If Fisher, Robinson and the Ags win out, we're talking about an A+ haul at the position and Johnson and Daniels plus the sensational five-man OL haul would be as good as any 'run game class' in the country. It goes without saying that landing Johnson is pretty important for the Ags, who have swung and missed on a couple of five-star backs in recent seasons (nevermind the fact that they may have the SEC's best back Isaiah Spiller and one of the league's most exciting true freshmen in Devon Achane). Beyond LJ, the only back worth keeping an eye in January could be San Diego four-star Byron Cardwell‍, the nation's No. 11-ranked ball-carrier.

Looking ahead to '22: It's still early in the process, but there may not be a whole lot of high-end, SEC-caliber talent in the Lone Star State in the '22 class. Klein Cain's Jaydon Blue‍ will be pursued by pretty much every program in America, but next year feels like one in which the Ags will scour the national landscape to add a runner or two (depending on whether or not Johnson ultimately joins the '21 fold).

Offensive Line (5): A+
If we've learned anything this year, it's that Jimbo Fisher will figure out a way to move the ball and score points on just about anyone if he's working with a quality offensive line. For the first time since their first two seasons in the SEC, Texas A&M finally fielded an elite-level o-line. The result? With the Maroon Goons setting the tone, the Aggies are perhaps one win away from earning the program's first-ever CFP berth. That's the good news. The great news? The Ags' dominance in the Southeastern Conference trenches should extend well beyond 2020, thanks to elite-level recruiting by Fisher, Josh Henson and Company.

I realize what Jake Matthews, Luke Joeckel and Ced Ogbuehi went on to become, but the fact of the matter is the five-man 2021 haul that A&M assembled on Wednesday can fairly be compared to the class signed ten years ago that many refer to as the best in Aggie history. For starters, the Ags landed arguably the two blockers who were at the top of their 'Big Board' from the outset — Katy Taylor five-star Bryce Foster‍ and Richmond Foster's Reuben Fatheree‍. Henson also added two very versatile pieces in Fort Bend Christian's Remington Strickland‍ and Magnolia's Matthew Wykoff‍ and a grossly underrated out of state tackle in Trey Zuhn‍. Interestingly enough, three of the five signees (Strickland, Zuhn and Foster) had at least one Aggie parent, and Fisher and Henson were able to see four of the five signees in person at camp. Preparation and some good fortune on the family tree front never hurt, right (just don't ask Tom Herman and the Longhorns how that went with the Brockermeyer twins). If we're being perfectly honest, the Aggies signed four of their five top OL targets in the state, with longtime Ohio State lock Donovan Jackson‍ being the only one that got away. That's a remarkable in-state 'hit rate' at any position.

In Fatheree and Foster, the Aggies may have secured the signatures of franchise additions at both left tackle and on the interior at guard. Both have NFL first round potential and what can best be described as 'rare' physical gifts. Fatheree is a towering 6-8 bookend blessed with incredible flexibility and length and Foster with the type of size, power (and even speed) combination that many NFL linemen wish they possessed. Bryce — who also has national champion/Olympic medalist potential as a shot putter — is so far advanced physically that he could push for immediate playing time at guard or center, depending on how many starters Henson is looking to replace. Because he was such an accomplished basketball player, Fatheree only recently spent his first full off-season in the weight room and the results were pretty remarkable. Give 'Deuce' (who chose the Ags over LSU and OU) a full off-season with Jerry Schmidt and we're likely talking about a 6-8, 320-pound left tackle with a Jonathan Ogden-like skill set. As good as I've seen the Ags sign at the top of an OL class since Matthews and Joeckel more than ten years ago.

I realize what Jake Matthews, Luke Joeckel and Ced Ogbuehi went on to become, but the five-man 2021 haul can fairly be compared to the class signed ten years ago that many refer to as the best in Aggie history.

Trey Zuhn is the guy in this class who doesn't get nearly enough run and it's because he committed so early in the process and never once waffled. An Aggie legacy and the No. 1-ranked prospect in the state of Colorado, Zuhn camped in College Station prior to his junior season and was offered right about the time he walked through the Bright Complex doors. The same thing happened when the 6-5, 300-pound tackle camped at Notre Dame, OU, Michigan and Ohio State. He's an extremely impressive athlete at that size and is pretty ahead of the curve from a technique standpoint. 

The same can be said about Matthew Wykoff. The Magnolia product has slowly but surely added size over the past year and now checks in at 6-5 and over 305 evenly distributed pounds. He's versatile enough to play anything from right tackle to guard or even center and possesses eye-catching polish for an incoming freshman. A pleasant surprise at the time of his commit, Wykoff picked the Ags over Penn State, Auburn, USC and Texas, among others.

The Ags moved on Remington Strickland a few weeks ago, but Henson had been recruiting the Houston-area lineman for quite some time. Built like a block of granite, the 6-5, 290-pounder moves so well for his size and packs such impressive pop and power that he'd likely have loaded up on offers last spring or throughout the summer camp circuit had he been able to do so. As it stood, Remington earned his recruiting attention the old-fashioned way...by putting together a stellar senior season. Texas, Michigan, OU and the Aggies all offered in fairly rapid succession, but he grew up an A&M fan and playing at Kyle Field and in the SEC won out for a lineman who could easily play guard, tackle or center.

Speaking of Henson's recent run on the recruiting trail and the Aggies going head-to-head with Oklahoma for o-line prospects, how about this interesting count: Since arriving at A&M during the 2020 cycle, Henson has landed and signed Akinola Oguynbiyi, Chris Morris, Zuhn, Wykoff, Fatheree, Strickland and Foster. That's SEC-championship level recruiting in the trenches and winning battles against the best of the best in college football to make it happen. As for OU, Lincoln Riley, Bill Bedenbaugh and the Sooners have an A&M/Josh Henson problem on their hands because they did everything they could to land Foster, Fatheree, Ogunbiyi and Strickland and also were prepared to take Morris and Zuhn at the time of their commits.

Looking ahead to '22: Entering the current cycle, most longtime observers would agree that the offensive line crop in Texas was the deepest and most talent-laden group in recent memory. The Ags took full advantage. Expect more of the same in 2022...on both fronts. The Lone Star State is once again loaded with coveted, high-end Power 5 and nationally-ranked blockers. A&M has already extended offers to ten o-linemen in state and have garnered early interest from targets from Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma. Sitting at the top of the board are names like longtime priority Kameron Dewberry‍ of Atascocita (Kenyon Green's former HS teammate) and Summer Creek's Kelvin Banks‍. Both are in the five-star conversation and have the potential to be next year's Fatheree/Foster for Henson and the Aggies. Another SEC-ready target is Allen guard Neto Umeozulu‍, who has held the Ags in high regard since he began playing football. Other names to watch as the Ags look to get an early jump next spring include Dickinson's PJ Williams‍, C.C. Flour Bluff's Johnny Dickson‍, Frisco tackle Cole Hutson‍, WO-S interior OL Demetrius Hunter‍, Arlington OT Devon Campbell‍ and Jaylen Early‍ of Duncanville. Expect another four- or five-man haul in the offensive trenches, as the Maroon Goon takeover continues.

Tight End (2): C
With Baylor Cupp and Blake Smith still having not taken a snap in Aggieland, tight end isn't the greatest need in this class. There certainly weren't a lot of high-level options in state, but James Coley and the Aggies will welcome a high-level, polished blocker with good hands and will eventually welcome a down-the-road project with NFL size and unlimited upside.

Fernando Garza‍ comes from a Katy program that, like A&M, loves to pound the football. Because of that, Garza is probably the best in-line blocker at the position in the state. At 6-5 and 245 pounds, Fernando can also make plays in the passing game thanks to his outstanding frame, good hands and route-running ability. Like Blake Smith a year ago, Garza is going to be one of those three-star signees no one talks about but who has a chance to impress early and develop within Fisher's tight end-friendly offense. His season ended with a knee injury, so Garza will rehab and enroll a year from now as a grayshirt.

Dametrious Crownover‍ is expected to join his older brother on the Aggie roster prior to the 2021 season. The 6-6, 260-pounder could very well end up growing into an offensive tackle, but his preference is tight end, and I'm sure the idea of lining up the big man next to the tackle with his hand in the dirt would appeal to a head coach/play-caller who loves putting more than one TE on the field at a time. If Crownover leans up and simply redistributes his weight, he could eventually step onto Kyle Field as an exceptionally-athletic and gigantic threat in the passing game, as well. He catches the ball pretty effortlessly and, if he manages to keep his weight down, could be a difficult coverage assignment for (much) smaller DBs and LBs. Again, we're talking about a developmental prospect here but one with an extremely high upside.

Not the strongest year in state, but if there was one that got away, it was probably Elijah Arroyo‍ of Frisco Independence. James Coley got a very late start after coming over from Georgia for a player who committed too early in the process. The Miami native's family plans to move back to South Florida from the Dallas-area, which kept the Ags from having much of a shot at the state's best in 2021. A&M could have ripped Atascocita's Landen King‍ away from Auburn in the final days before NSD but decided to stand pat and gear up for a big run at a certain Houston-area junior...

Looking ahead to '22: For the Aggies and everyone else recruiting Texas, Dickinson's Donovan Green‍ is the prize. Green is as good as there is in the country (including this year's seniors) and it's no secret that the Ags' pitch will include the chance to follow fellow Gator Jalen Wydermyer's All-SEC and eventual NFL footsteps. The need will certainly be a pressing one for an A&M offense that features the position as well as anyone in college football.

Wide Receiver (2): B

This was a tricky grade for me. Why? Because Shadrach Banks‍ is a top-10 'football player' in Texas and Yulkeith Brown‍ is a straight-up playmaker and one of the most respected and competitive prep prospects in Miami. Off of raw talent alone, this is an 'A' level haul. What makes me knock the grade down a little (for now, more on that in a moment) is that both Shad and Yulkeith are so versatile that either could wind up being used in any number of roles.

Jamie Maury, TexAgs

Banks is a versatile player likely to see the field in a variety of ways.

Both Brown and Banks have that 'Ainias Smith tool kit' in that they could easily end up lining up in the backfield, splitting time in the slot and tailback or, if needed, could even eventually play on defense. Both could — and probably will — factor in as special teams weapons at some point, as well. At 6-1, 220 pounds, Banks could really be used at WR, RB, h-back or fullback on offense and could probably even make a pretty damn good linebacker for Mike Elko. Yulkeith, meanwhile, has shown on the field that he can be both a shutdown corner (I think he could excel covering the slot) and a difference-maker at tailback (he ran for over 1,400 yards as a sophomore).

With all of that said, Banks and Brown are signing with the Ags as receivers and not 'athletes.' They'll both be in Dameyune Craig's meeting room from day one, and the plan is to have them catching passes, likely from a variety of spots in the formation. Shad's combination of size and vision and his ability to set up tacklers makes him very difficult to bring down after the catch, and he plays with a very high football IQ. He doesn't have Ryan Swope's downfield speed, but with the ball in his hands there are some real similarities...especially near the line of scrimmage. Brown is on the small side at 5-9 and around 180, but he's incredibly explosive and catches anything thrown his way. Both are legitimate matchup problems and playmakers in their own way, and I can tell you right now, they're going to be tough to keep off the field.

Where this grade skyrockets, however, is if Fisher and Craig are able to add a borderline five-star pass-catcher to the haul in early February. Longtime target Brian Thomas‍ is exactly what the Aggies need at the position — a game-breaker on the outside who has the kind of size and speed the Ags have seen the past few seasons when facing the likes of LSU and Bama. The Louisiana product feels like a slight lean to Alabama, and LSU is making a furious push. A&M is squarely in the mix and has been in this one for the long haul, and landing him would quickly turn this group into a solid A while also adding a dynamic skill talent who would rate as one of the top signees in the class.

Landing Thomas or LJ Johnson feels very important because the Ags need a big-time, five-star type of win at one of the skill spots, and recruiting at either position hasn't been great, particularly in state. That could change in a hurry and almost did on Wednesday, when the Ags almost had a shocking Signing Day steal when longtime LSU commit JoJo Earle‍ was set to decommit and sign with someone in February. The Ags were beginning to be rumored as the team to beat and had several productive conversations, but then the one guy no one wants to see enter picture late entered the picture late. Alabama and Nick Saban came calling, presented the pitch to join former Aledo teammate Jace McLellan on the Tide roster and 'become the next Jaylen Waddle' and Earle was signed, sealed and delivered by Wednesday afternoon. Aledo's last four top-shelf recruits have chosen Bama (x3) and LSU. So much for Texas high schools keeping the best in state, right?

Again, Banks and Brown give the Ags two very dynamic and versatile pass-catching weapons. Add in Thomas and you're talking about a rock-solid 'A' haul, and I'd also expect A&M to find other possibilities around the state and country who decided against signing early. Still a need for a pure outside receiver with height and length, IMO. Either that or perhaps scour the transfer portal in January.

Looking ahead to '22: Obviously, a lot of the Ags' need in the next cycle will depend on how they close things out in February, but the wish list will probably include wanting at least three signees on the outside in '22. Regardless of how things turn out, the A&M offense is going to need to add some dynamic weapons on the outside, and that's especially so (perhaps the biggest need on offense) if Thomas ends up in Tuscaloosa. Size and speed will be priorities, and the good news is that the state of Texas features plenty of both in the junior ranks.

While Ohio State is becoming a bit of an early problem thanks to the Ewers commitment (the Buckeyes have already landed state No. 1 Caleb Burton‍ and are in the driver's seat for coveted Aggie target Armani Winfield‍, as well) and OU has already nabbed one of the best in Garland's Jordan Hudson‍, there are still several potential impact receivers on the in-state open market. For starters, Winfield has yet to cast his lot with the Buckeyes, though the Lewisville receiver is leaning heavily their way. Frisco LIberty's Evan Stewart‍ is a legit game-changer who is still wide open in his recruitment, as well. He's a top-ten talent in Texas and a shoo-in for a top-100 ranking nationally, if not top-50 when all is said and done. 

Two pass-catchers who the Aggies appear to have a very good early shot with are 10.2 sprinter Brenen Thompson‍ of Spearman and Chris Marshall‍ of Fort Bend Marshall‍, Devon Achane's alma mater. Thompson might be the fastest receiver prospect in the country and is also a tough, versatile dude, while Marshall is a basketball player-turned-receiver whose upside is off the charts. It wouldn't be shocking to see the Ags eventually win out here and go out of state for more help in what could end up being a four-man class in 2022.

Defense

Defensive Line (6): A+
This is an A+ class that's an Elijah Jeudy‍ addition (he's announcing between A&M and Georgia on January 2) away from earning just the second "A++" (that's 'A PLUS plus') grade I've ever handed out.

Texas A&M has set the bar pretty high since Jimbo Fisher arrived with six weeks to go in the 2018 cycle. Since that time, the Ags have headlined each class with a five-star or borderline five-star signee — Bobby Brown ('18), DeMarvin Leal ('19) and McKinnley Jackson ('20). This time around, the Ags took it one step further, landing not one but two five stars. On top of that, Elko, Terry Price and Elijah Robinson signed a four-star pass rusher from the Northeast (and are the favorite to sign another) and stayed in state to beat OU and Texas in separate head-to-heads for a pair of athletic 280-pound interior defenders. All told, the current five-man haul is as strong as any I've seen the Ags sign in roughly a quarter century of covering Texas A&M recruiting. Add Jeudy and the group is as good as any d-line class in the country.

The current five-man d-line haul is as strong as any I've seen the Ags sign in roughly a quarter century of covering Texas A&M recruiting. Add Jeudy and the group is as good as any d-line class in the country.

While landing the players sitting atop the big board in Bright is all that really matters to Fisher, Elko and the A&M staff, the battles won en route to sewing up the 2020 defensive line haul paint a pretty clear picture of how well the Ags recruited along the d-line this cycle. The Ags outlasted Bama, LSU, Georgia and Texas for Shemar Turner‍, Florida and Bama for Tunmise Adeleye‍, potentially Georgia for Jeudy, won a head-to-head with Texas for Albert Regis‍ and took down OU in the race for Marcus Burris‍.

As far as what the Ags are actually adding to what has quickly become a d-line stable as deep and loaded with top-end talent as any in the SEC (yes, the Aggies are now on par with the Bamas, Georgias and LSUs of the world), let's just say part of what makes this group so special is that it features a little of everything. 

Let's start with two guys who stand out as class headliners, DeSoto's Shemar Turner and former Katy Tompkins star Tunmise Adeleye, two of the ten best defensive end prospects in the entire country and a pair of guys who are going to bring All-SEC and high-round NFL potential with them to College Station. Both could have signed with anyone in the country but chose to jump on board with what is looking more and more like a 'Wrecking Crew Reboot' under Mike Elko. 

Turner is an SEC West defensive lineman if ever there was one. He's cut from the same mold as some of the Ags' recent signees up front. He is big, strong, physical, athletic and flat-out nasty. At 6-4 and 280 very lean pounds, Turner is an explosive front four defender who plays with a violent burst out of his stance, routinely exploding through blockers and into opposing backfields. Shemar uses his hands exceptionally well and is dominant against the run and particularly disruptive when pursuing the quarterback. Watching the DeSoto star in action and seeing him in person, it's tough not to make the Ty Warren comparison here. Not sure he shouldn't be considered the No. 1 prospect in Texas because I think the two OLs I have ranked ahead of him wouldn't be able to block Shemar.

Landing Tunmise Adeleye seemed like a pipe dream throughout much of the process. He originally committed to Ohio State and, even after he opened things up, Florida appeared poised to land the five-star who starred as a sophomore at Katy Tompkins and last season at IMG Academy. Fisher, Elko and especially Terry Price hung in and continued to chip away, making sure Adeleye knew how badly the Ags wanted to keep the Houston-area standout at home. The persistence paid off, as A&M ultimately won out over the Gators and Alabama to land a player who most still consider a national top-100 DE and a state top-15 talent despite the fact that he missed his senior season. We're talking about an easy state top-10 talent here and a potential impact member of A&M's front four as early as next fall, just like we've seen from recent five-star caliber additions like Brown, Leal and Jackson. The long-armed, 6-3, 245-pounder is a gifted athlete whose frame is going to carry a lot more weight than it does today. He'll be a lean 280 in no time and have the ability to set the edge versus the run and generate pressure from the edge and as an interior guy when Elko wants to mix things up.

Both Adeleye and Turner fit the recent trend of Elko finding guys who can play up and down the LOS, following in the footsteps of Kingsley Keke, Justin Madubuike and Leal. Ideal fits and two-year recruitments that paid off big-time on NSD 2020.

Justin Schoenemann

Burris missed his senior year but was a monster the two seasons prior.

Marcus Burris would have likely been considered a state top-15 talent were it not for an Achilles' injury that cost him his senior season. The good news is that Burris is ahead of schedule in his recovery. Better news? The reason the Ags and Sooners fought for Marcus' commitment despite the injury had to do with how good he was on the field as a sophomore and junior and his upside on the defensive interior. Burris' background and his game remind me a lot of former A&M star and longtime NFL DT Red Bryant. He's a 6-5, 280-pounder with a basketball background, a ridiculous wingspan, outlandish strength and that small-town work ethic that typically separates great from good. By the time he takes the field in College Station, Marcus will be a 6-5, 315-pounder in Elijah Robinson's rotation, and I'm also not sure the dude couldn't become an All-Conference offensive tackle one day (same thing I said about Bryant before he went on to make millions on defense). 

As far as Albert Regis goes, he's got to rank as one of the most intriguing signees in the Ags' Class of 2021. Prior to his junior season, he more than held his own with several nationally-ranked OLs at A&M's camp, landed on the radar, chose Minnesota early, saw his stock soar as he grew from 6-0, 250 to 6-2, 285 and then chose the Ags over Texas earlier this fall. Regis is still adjusting to the added size (and has actually slimmed back down to around 280) but the fact of the matter is, when you pop in the film, you see a guy well north of 250 doing things like snag end zone fades with one hand, catch deep balls as a wide receiver, line up at tight end, h-back, running back as well as DT and DE. Let Robinson and Jerry Schmidt mold Albert for a year and let's see what the Ags have in the defensive trenches. He's a unique piece who I could even see participating in some offensive packages down the road.

Looking for pure pass-rushers? Jahzion Harris‍ might be the most underrated player in the entire class. The top-ranked prospect in the state of New York, Harris is a long, twitchy and explosive edge defender with off-the-charts potential. The 6-4, 220-pounder boasted offers from the likes of Ohio State, LSU, Michigan, Penn State, Miami and OU at the time of commitment and never once wavered. The lack of a senior season kept the Brooklyn native's ranking from soaring, but it did nothing to temper the excitement in Bright for a guy who is the type of naturally-gifted corner-bender the Aggies badly needed.

The Ags are also in an excellent position to eventually put the cherry on top by adding Philadelphia (PA) Northeast DE Elijah Jeudy. A teammate of early signee Tyreek Chappell‍, Jeudy is a little bigger than Harris at 6-3, 245 but equally effective when it comes to getting to the quarterback. He's more of your prototypical weakside end. An instinctive end, Elijah is going to have the size to stand in against the run and is also a talented pass-rusher who blends the kind of power, size and quickness that have both Jimbo and Kirby Smart doing everything possible to add his skill-set to their roster.

If the Ags close things out by adding Jeudy, go ahead and pick any metric you want, this was an A+ class and as good as you're going to see Texas A&M recruit at any position. An absolute clinic, from Houston to Dallas and from East Texas all the way up to the Northeast. In each of Fisher's first four recruiting cycles in College Station, the Ags' haul in the defensive trenches has gotten better, a pretty remarkable accomplishment.

Looking ahead to '22: We know Elko and his two aces (Price and Robinson) are going to attempt to stockpile talent up front in every class, and the '22 haul could end up being a four-man group, depending on attrition between now and then. Two guys in state stand out head and shoulders above the rest in the early going : Five-star defensive end Malick Sylla‍ and Denton Ryan 300-pounder Big Bear Alexander‍. The Aggies are right in the middle of both recruitments and will almost certainly have a seat at the table when decision time rolls around. A couple of other in-state names to watch include Arlington Martin DE RJ Cooper and Omari Abor‍ of Duncanville. And if there's one position where you can take it to the bank that the Ags will find one or two guys from elsewhere around the country, it's the defensive line, where A&M has inked players from Florida, Tennessee, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Mississippi since Fisher's arrival.

Linebacker (0): Incomplete
I'm leaving it as an 'incomplete' for now, though I believe signing at least one linebacker could have easily been justified. The Ags let Kaci Seegars‍ walk late and really only pursued one additional linebacker (Alabama signee Kendrick Blackshire‍) since late spring. Obviously, Mike Elko and Tyler Santucci were content with who's on campus and who is out there in '22 to not sign a linebacker this cycle. Additionally, I'm also not sure 6-4, 195-pound safety Kendal Daniels‍ won't grow into a LB/S hybrid cut from the same mold as former Clemson star Isaiah Simmons. The Oklahoma product could end up starring in the box if he grows out of being a deep safety, which would alter this grade significantly.

The A&M staff clearly didn't feel the need to add numbers at LB this year, perhaps because both Antonio Doyle and Edgerrin Cooper are very promising first-year 'backers who will get their freshman seasons back, Chris Russell and Andre White are still young and there's a legitimate chance that Aaron Hansford could return for one more season in Maroon & White. So, with that being the case...

Looking ahead to '22: Another reason the Aggies were content to sign just Seegars at the position this go-round had to do with the fact that the state of Texas is pretty loaded at the position in the junior ranks. A&M is in very good early shape with The Woodlands Martrell Harris‍, and the Ags are squarely in the mix for one of the nation's best in five-star Harold Perkins‍ of Cy-Park. Perkins is the ultimate prize in '22, but there are plenty of SEC West caliber 'backers in-state, including Katy's Ty Kana‍, Manvel's Justin Medlock‍ and Owen Pewee‍, who happens to be Harold's teammate at Cy-Park. I'd expect the Ags to try and land their two most coveted in-state guys and probably look out of state and inside the SEC footprint to close out a three-man haul next December.

Defensive Back (4): A-
On Wednesday, Mike Elko and T.J. Rushing celebrated four signings in the defensive backfield, a group that jumps off the page when it comes to the caliber of athlete the Ags added on the back end. The quartet includes the No. 1 cover corner in Texas, a national top-60 prospect at safety who also happens to be the No. 1-ranked recruit in Oklahoma, the No. 1-ranked recruit in Arkansas and a corner from the Northeast who Fisher, Elko and Co. considered elite from day one. The Aggies were probably one addition away from this one earning an A or even an A+ grade and could add the final piece of the puzzle in January, so stay tuned.

TexAgs

Kendal Daniels has a unique skill set to become an impact defender for A&M.

Headlining the Ags' list of signees in the secondary is safety Kendal Daniels‍. The product of Beggs, Oklahoma is considered the top-ranked prospect in the Sooner State and, needless to say, A&M convincing the impact defender to play south of the Red River came as quite the shock to Lincoln Riley and Alex Grinch in Norman. Daniels chose the Ags over OU, Clemson and LSU — three of last year's four playoff teams — and it's easy to see why he's considered one of the top safety prospects in the country.

A uniquely-talented defender, the kind of safety that isn't available in every recruiting cycle and someone with All-SEC potential and beyond. Standing nearly 6-4 and 190 pounds, Daniels is a thin, rangy safety who covers an incredible amount of ground on the back end of the defense. When you watch the four-star defensive back on tape, you see a field general who is essentially 'patrolling' the entire secondary. He's drawn comparisons to former Clemson phenom and 2020 NFL first-rounder Isaiah Simmons. One can only imagine what a creative defensive mind like Elko will be able to do with a chess piece like Daniels — someone who, like Simmons, can line up virtually anywhere in the back seven on a given snap.

The Aggies entered the 2021 cycle with cornerback standing out as one of the most pressing areas of need. There just aren't enough on the current roster and, outside of Jaylon Jones, there isn't a proven commodity set to return at the position. So what did Mike Elko, T.J. Rushing and the Aggies do? They went out and signed a trio of cover men, each bringing a slightly different skill-set and/or background to the table — three corners the Ags are pretty excited about when it comes to upgrading the position in fairly short order.

Don't listen to what the spin-doctors in Austin or the national networks try to tell you. Go watch the tape, watch the candidates in person and ask around to those in the know in the Dallas area. There wasn't a better cover man in the state of Texas this year than Denton Guyer's Deuce Harmon‍. An explosive athlete who plays an extremely physical brand of ball on the island, Harmon is a winner, a leader and a straight-up ballhawk. One of the Ags' early commits and a longtime priority of the A&M staff, Harmon chose the Maroon & White over former Big 12 rivals Texas and OU and never looked back. Because of his mental makeup and the ability to line up at corner or nickel in Elko's scheme, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Harmon become one of the earliest impact guys in this class.

The home-state Razorbacks and Missouri Tigers pushed very hard late, but the Ags inked the top-ranked prospect in Arkansas in Dreyden Norwood‍. He's more projection at this point, but we're talking about a top-shelf athlete who has excelled when he's lined up in the secondary. Norwood is simply the best athlete on his Fort Smith Northside team, so his primary position in high school was under center, where he reminded me of former Wrecking Crew great Derrick Frazier. As a cover man, Dreyden's 6-0 frame, outstanding hips, footwork and ability to find the football and his QB background makes for a very 'heady' cornerback when it comes to understanding coverage. The Ags won out here over offers from Arkansas, Mizzou, Auburn, Miami and Notre Dame, among others.

Jimbo Fisher and Mike Elko were elated that Tyreek stayed under the radar. He has a chance to be this year's Ainias Smith, an absolute steal who quickly emerges as one of the most buzzworthy members of the 2021 class.

In my opinion, Tyreek Chappell‍ is the most fascinating player the Aggies signed on Wednesday. At the time of his commitment, Michigan, Tennessee and Penn State were all hanging on the Philadelphia playmaker's decision, and his stock would likely have soared had he been able to participate in camps and actually play football as a senior. Chappell's tape is absolutely filthy — at both wide receiver and corner. We're talking about elite ball skills and the kind of speed and raw athletic ability that would have certainly earned him four stars and a spot in the national top-250 if he played in Texas or anywhere in the South. Folks, I can assure you that Jimbo Fisher and Mike Elko were elated that Tyreek stayed under the radar. He has a chance to be this year's Ainias Smith, an absolute steal who quickly emerges as one of the most buzzworthy members of the 2021 class once this group gets on campus.

The Ags were disappointed that they were unable to land Pennsylvania four-star Donovan McMillon‍ (Florida) and Mississippi corner MJ Daniels‍ (Ole Miss) late, but the cherry on top of a strong class in the secondary is still out there if the Maroon & White are able to pull either Baton Rouge University Lab safety Jardin Gilbert‍ or Tallahassee standout Terrion Arnold‍. A&M is in the best position and lead for Gilbert, and if the Ags outlast Alabama and LSU and add a DB who many believe played his way into top-5 status in Louisiana, a very good class becomes great. Jardin is exactly what Mike Elko loves at safety; he's fast, rangy and fluid, is a two-sport standout (basketball) and has a pretty impressive highlight reel at receiver, as well. But it's at safety where GIlbert's athletic ability and extremely high football IQ and instincts made him a longtime (even if relatively under-the-radar) priority for Elko and the Aggies. The DC hand picks his safeties, and landing a couple from a group of three or four that has always included Jardin and signee Kendal Daniels has always been considered a non-negotiable must in this class. I like the Ags' chances to win out here, but we won't know the verdict until his announcement the day after New Year's.

Looking ahead to '22: Watch what Elko and Rushing do in the secondary in 2022. Between a very deep year in the Lone Star State and what the Aggies have shown they're capable of doing from coast to coast, it's safe to expect an even more impressive haul for Texas A&M in the defensive backfield a year from now.

A couple of big-time targets worth keeping a close eye on as early as the start of the new year are Katy cover man Bobby Taylor‍ and Beaumont Westbrook safety and current LSU commit Bryce Anderson‍. Two top targets who many believe will be Aggies when the dust settles. Other in-state targets who have already earned offers include North Shore five-star cornerback Denver Harris‍, Garland S Chace Biddle‍, John Paul II corner and Wrecking Crew legacy Terrance Brooks‍, Clear Lake CB Julian Humphrey‍ and Lexington S Jarred Kerr‍.

Overall: A-

This group certainly feels like it's trending up. In the past week alone, the Aggies added Strickland, Turner, Adeleye and Foster to surge from somewhere around 15 and well into the top 10. The Ags could still add a pair of four-star defenders in Juedy and Gilbert, which would push that class grade to an A and probably as high as No. 6 or 7 in the national rankings. If the Ags capped things off with either Johnson at tailback or Thomas at receiver, you're talking about four five-star worthy and national top-100 additions to close things out. Land both of the skill-position stars plus Jeudy and Gilbert and the Aggies would threaten to crack the top-5 for the second time in three cycles. Right now, this is an A+ haul in the trenches, but the skill spots could use a difference-maker (or two) in order to push this thing from excellent to elite, which is where Fisher and the Aggies have elevated the bar.

9 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

Like I said in the UT 2021 thread, you guys may be at an ebb but dang you're still managing to get meaningful commits and a top 20 class. Whereas Jimbo is in the "show me/prove it" zone, UT is in the "they're not as good as they usually are, but could still be as quickly as next year" zone.

We'll suck with the power of 1,000 turbocharged Hoover uprights until we get a better coach. Working on that, but nothing yet. 

28 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

The nation's No. 1-ranked signal-caller is already off the board, with Southlake's Quinn Ewers‍ choosing Ohio State over the Ags after decommitting from Texas.

Gotta hand it to Looch, he's a master of bullshitting

Edited by ChampionshipLevelPiss
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 8:20 PM, TommyGufano said:

Poor kid tried to put 1,000 miles between himself and his parents 

My buffer zone just went from 1200 miles to 2 feet!

You know what you're doing, don't you? You're killing Independent Jerry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzxQc7jGehA

Elko is alright. He is getting paid very highly (top 5 paid for coordinators or something like that?) for turning around a lagging D, but the backside of that D (and he is a DB coach by position) is still left wanting.  He did put together a decent set of D coaches as a coordinator.  Seems to me the really important coach on a value basis is that DT coach with mid-atlantic connections who has landed several 4-star studs along the DL and really made that run-D stout.  Pay that guy and keep him a couple more years if possible.  There was smoke of him potentially getting poached by Rutgers or Maryland last year but he stayed on and obviously has made a positive difference along the front 7.

Elko has the wandering eyes and possibly an ego to sate, and nothing can fix that other than having tried out that head coaching experience.  Rare is the guy like the Clemson DT who is happy with his station in life and doesn't want to have the larger title. Good news is, your coaches are usually sought out if they're considered good by others. And if Elko does leave, he will have left behind a cupboard well stocked to entice a decent replacement.