2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

So my current read on Astros-related things based on twitter accounts of actual reporters and mlb live:

- only reported connection is talks for Wheeler with the Mets.  Competition is supposedly Rays and possibly the Yankees.

- Bumgarner situation unclear, Giants gave up a major league reliever for a prospect so may be tentatively selling or standing pat

- Oakland picked up Tanner Roark from the Reds, trying to catch the Astros/get that WC spot

- D-backs picked up a pitcher in exchange for a prospect (no longer sellers after their talks with Yankees about Ray collapsed?)

So there's always the possibility of something coming out of nowhere, but as of now looks like Wheeler or nothing.

Just for clarification but did we not do anything in 2017 and kinda lucked out we got verlander after the deadline? And I vaguely remember Dallas being pretty vocal about us not needing anyone else and our team is fine without adding anyone which wasn't the case. I was really hoping for a bad ass SP.

Edited by Rockethorn1978

Keuchel was pissed that we did nothing at the deadline. And I still believe it made a difference a month later.

This is correct

By the end of August, between the clubhouse dissent, the struggles of the team during August (and Harvey as the icing on the cake) tipped the scales for Crane to commit to the money it would cost to land JV and Luhnow did the rest with the farm system (plus a few calls by one Keuchel and probably others to convince Jv to waive his no-trade clause)

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Just for clarification but did we not do anything in 2017 and kinda lucked out we got verlander after the deadline? And I vaguely remember Dallas being pretty vocal about us not needing anyone else and our team is fine without adding anyone which wasn't the case. I was really hoping for a bad ass SP.

Quite the opposite. Keuchel was bitching about it (surprise!).

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

No:

Damn I remember the interview but had it reverse in my head. I kinda feel the same about today.

Is Lunhow always going to be this slow in making moves? I get we want to keep the farm but sometimes it's worth it if you can win now, I could care less right now about what the astros will look like in 2025. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Is Lunhow always going to be this slow in making moves? I get we want to keep the farm but sometimes it's worth it if you can win now, I could care less right now about what the astros will look like in 2025. 

* couldn't

(You're on a roll, bro.)

Edited by clapclapclap

Damn I remember the interview but had it reverse in my head. I kinda feel the same about today.

Tap the brakes until 3:25....
I’m not judging anything right now and if anything, would probably look harshly on Luhnow as overpaying if he had deals locked up by now

Sellers ask for the moon until the last possible instant.

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

I gotta bad feeling about this...
Feels very much like our dealings in past years with the Orioles...or Nationals.

Sure, hold on to him for 2 more magical months of .500 baseball ending up 4th runner up for the wildcard and lose him for nothing out of spite.

Or, they’re a bunch of doofuses that are posturing but are eventually going to take the best offer currently on the table, and everyone knows it.

3 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Mets and Orioles are so horribly mismanaged. They are going to sit and wait and not get anything for wheelers or mancini

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Almost like those two franchises being shit ass clown shows didn’t happen by accident 

Just now, henrygandorf said:

been offline for work stuff for the last 3 hours.

sounds like i missed.....almost nothing?

Return of machete

twitter follies

also some dude came on here and started selling Astros trucker hats for $8 apiece, made a killing

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cooder said:

I was 100% positive the astros would end up with wheeler if MadBum or Grienke didn’t happen. I know it’s the Mets but shit, what could they have possibly wanted that prevented Luhnow from making that deal?

Probably asked for Yordan but were willing to be talked down to Tucker+Whitley as their backup