2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

59 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I wonder if we can find a way for Strom to download his brain into Verlander's and let JV take over as pitching coach when Strom decides to call it a day and Verlander retires?  Because that would be pretty cool to keep JV around the organization for as long as possible.

Guys with Verlander type money, even if they would be really good at it, aren't going to want to do the every day baseball thing for 8 months out of the year.  It is a grind.   See also, Carlos Beltran.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Guys with Verlander type money, even if they would be really good at it, aren't going to want to do the every day baseball thing for 8 months out of the year.  It is a grind.   See also, Carlos Beltran.

I will settle for naming him the Assistant Special Advisor for Pitching, reporting directly to Nolan Ryan.  Just keep him near / in the organization to offer advice to the generation of young pitchers that come up after Whitley and Bukauskas.

Million bucks a year, free Diamond Club seats and front row valet parking.  I think it gets the deal done.

Matchups for this weekend. 

Fri: Collin McHugh vs. Frankie Montas

Sat: Wade Miley vs. Aaron Brooks

Sun: Brad Peacock vs. Mike Fiers

Honoring the President Bush and Barbara on Friday.....Travis Scott throws out first pitch on Saturday 

Edited by Scraps

It wasn't until mid May / early June before we really kicked it in gear with the bats last year.  Most of that was due to Marwin going on a mini-tear and Bregman and Oso Blanco setting new club records for RBI's in a month last June. Thankfully Bregman kept getting better to pick up the slack for all the injuries.

Hard to imagine what we could have done last year if Correa didn't get hurt (big shock) in late June.  Hell, we still won 104 regular season games but the playoffs could have been a lot different.

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

It wasn't until mid May / early June before we really kicked it in gear with the bats last year.  Most of that was due to Marwin going on a mini-tear and Bregman and Oso Blanco setting new club records for RBI's in a month last June. Thankfully Bregman kept getting better to pick up the slack for all the injuries.

Hard to imagine what we could have done last year if Correa didn't get hurt (big shock) in late June.  Hell, we still won 104 regular season games but the playoffs could have been a lot different.

And Altuve was playing on one leg. 

I like Josh's defense.  He can be half-ass decent at the plate at times so I'm not going to hate on him unless he goes through one of those 2017 playoff streaks where he's something like 0-21 and about 16 HIDP.  So far in 10 AB he's only hit into 1 double play so that's... well... not overly shitty.  Of course that rate might be higher if we actually had base runners.

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I know it's cool to hate on Josh, but damn that top 7.

He's off to a nice start.  Last year he was down to about league average after a career year in 2017.  I'm hoping he can bounce back to somewhere in between this year.