2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Cleveland is totally selling. Carrasco is probably done for the year with a rare blood disorder. Kluber it out with a fracture in his forearm. Clevinger is expected back soon, but his injury was pretty serious. They already have an OF that is trash, on top of Ramirez hitting like White. With payroll issues on the way, trading Hand and Bauer makes complete sense for them.

Ah yeah, forgot all those pitchers were hurt. They probably should. 

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

jake is the one i would "worry" about.  because much like i referenced with straw, he can do more with another team that has more room for him.

of course, with our injuries, we have plenty of room for him.

for those who know better than me, who is our 3rd best position prospect anywhere in the system (after yordan/tucker)?  or at least who are the candidates for 3-4-5th?  outside of guys like beer, i don't have much knowledge on the hitting side, but feel like i know a lot of pitching names.

Abaraham Toro has been having a great year so far at AA. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=toro-h000abr

signing brantley killed their spirit.
their spirit blood is on our hands.

So on my MLB.TV channel on Roku, there is a rotating panoramic background of the various MLB ballparks. It always makes me smile when Jacobs Field pops up and the stillshot has Brantley on their videoboard.

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

For all the talk about Kemp's speed, the only Astros he is faster than are Chirinos and White.  

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard?year=2019&position=&team=HOU&min=10

There is something weird about those stats. It shows Reddick and Brantley having sprint speed almost the same as Kemp. Yet Kemp's HP to 1st time is significantly better than Reddick and  Brantley. Note that I only used lefties for comparison. Also, do you really think Yuli is faster than Fisher, Bregman and Reddick?

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

for those who know better than me, who is our 3rd best position prospect anywhere in the system (after yordan/tucker)?  or at least who are the candidates for 3-4-5th?  outside of guys like beer, i don't have much knowledge on the hitting side, but feel like i know a lot of pitching names.

Freudis Nova is highly regarded but he's young and still a few years away.

15 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

There is something weird about those stats. It shows Reddick and Brantley having sprint speed almost the same as Kemp. Yet Kemp's HP to 1st time is significantly better than Reddick and  Brantley. Note that I only used lefties for comparison. Also, do you really think Yuli is faster than Fisher, Bregman and Reddick?

The sprint speed is ““feet per second in a player’s fastest one-second window.” I don’t find it surprising that Kemp can get down the line fast but his top speed isn’t as good-I’d say that’s primarily due to 2 guys being 6’2” vs 5’6”. It takes them longer to get going, but their top end is better.

It takes 10 competitive runs to calculate, which they define at the top of the page. Fisher doesn’t have enough yet this season-notice there’s no HP to 1B yet for him (and the other recent call ups). I don’t know why they assigned the numbers they did, but in each of the last 2 years, his speed was 29.4, which would place him between Straw and Marisnick.

Yuli and Bregman are both pretty close to their career averages (Bregman has slowed a bit every year). Yuli is probably just faster than you realize. Reddick is significantly slower this year than any prior year. Not sure what that’s about.

while watching our national broadcast on fox a few weeks ago, smoltz or whomever was like, "kemp, the lefty speedster".

he's little and he's black and he doesn't hit homers, so errbody assumes he's fast because errbody racist.

as far as "speed" and playing in the outfield - i don't really care how fast jake is, he gets jumps on balls like few i've ever seen.

• Like 2

was kinda hoping today would be yordan day.  guess not.

I’ve accepted September 1 as Yordan day and if it happens to come earlier, so be it/icing on the cake

Meanwhile, Tucker is making an early bid for back to back PCL player of the month and has almost caught Alvarez in HRs on the year.

back when the correa shit went down, i said we had 33 games until the asb, when i thought we could potentially expect everyone back.

(18 games before the yankees series where we played some winnable games)

i wanted 18-15 during that stretch.

so far we're 6-1.

8 game homestand - balt3/mil2/tor3.  some interesting off days as well, which is good for getting guys back and figuring out our rotation. 

a 6-2 would look really nice heading to cincy.

let's go.

I've always wondered when teams are looking at a player like Springer and trying to make business decisions, how do they evaluate the popularity with the fans, the effect a trade would have on the club house, and just karma generally. It's not a number they can feed into the computer, but a trade that makes sense mathematically could potentially do a lot of harm. I guess that's the art of it as opposed to the science?  

30 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

I've always wondered when teams are looking at a player like Springer and trying to make business decisions, how do they evaluate the popularity with the fans, the effect a trade would have on the club house, and just karma generally. It's not a number they can feed into the computer, but a trade that makes sense mathematically could potentially do a lot of harm. I guess that's the art of it as opposed to the science?  

Barely at all I think.  As long as a team keeps winning, fans find new favorites pretty quick.  

You fools wanting Cole over Scherzer need to roll out with Tyler White

Scherzer’s salary is $42mm/yr through 2021. Cole will cost 2/3 of that. That doesn’t count the prospects he’d cost which would be dependent on how much money the Nationals would send. Doesn’t matter as neither will probably happen.