2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

17 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Mazara better hope he’s not in the lineup on Sunday.

Yeah, no. Guys are trying to hit the ball in the air more; that could result in more absolute HR, sure - except (a) there hasn't been a significant change in total flyball % of batted balls, and (b) you wouldn't expect it to result in a huge increase in HR per flyball hit (even if there were more flyballs and fewer groundballs).

But we have seen a steady increase in this league-wide HR/FB rate since about midseason 2015:

2019: 15.1%

2018: 12.7%

2017: 13.7%

2016: 12.8%

2015: 11.4%

2014: 9.5%

2013: 10.5%

2012: 11.3%

2011: 9.7%

2010: 9.4%

So, total flyball % isn't spiking - just the frequency with which flyballs are leaving the park. I just don't see how you could argue that this many players got this much better at hitting the ball hard in the air at the same time. The 2019 spike is ridiculous. 16 teams currently have HR/FB ratios at 15% or greater. 

The balls that are hit into the air are leaving the park at a significantly higher frequency than they ever have, by a good margin. It's either more about some hitting secret that all hitters discovered simultaneously during the winter of 2018-19, as these guys suggest; or the balls that are mass produced - which have been  studies and already found to have lower seams and less air drag - carry better. Occam's razor and whatnot. 

He stated a fact. Wouldnt Verlander himself say he brought this up because he’s on pace to give up more hrs than at any point in his career. I get it. Y’all hate the rangers (even though you’re kinda punching down a weight class). But you’re kinda reaching on this one lol. He was asked a question, and he answered it. Don’t worry. We’ll fade by football season and Verlander can continue to say what everyone around the league already knows. 

Carry on. 

7 minutes ago, Cooder said:

What did he say that was wrong? Pegging him for speaking the truth is a joke. If he wants Mazara to shut up he should stop giving up HRs.

He's insinuating that the balls aren't different; this has been proven untrue by both study of the actual balls and the mountain of circumstantial evidence that points toward balls that carry better. 

I guess he didn't say anything that was false, but he passive-aggressively suggests something that is pretty clearly wrong.

I get hitters not wanting to acknowledge that it's not a great accomplishment when they hit 30 HR this year, so I don't begrudge him...but not wanting to acknowledge something doesn't mean he's right. 

5 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

He stated a fact. Wouldnt Verlander himself say he brought this up because he’s on pace to give up more hrs than at any point in his career. I get it. Y’all hate the rangers (even though you’re kinda punching down a weight class). But you’re kinda reaching on this one lol. He was asked a question, and he answered it. Don’t worry. We’ll fade by football season and Verlander can continue to say what everyone around the league already knows. 

Carry on. 

He stated 1 fact and made one assumption as to why JV is bitching. 

JV opened himself up to this by making his statements, so it's all good, and I'm sure he doesn't give a shit. But the comment is pretty clearly a shot at JV. 

Again, I'd expect pitchers to back JV and hitters not to. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

4 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

He stated 1 fact and made one assumption as to why JV is bitching. 

JV opened himself up to this by making his statements, so it's all good, and I'm sure he doesn't give a shit. But the comment is pretty clearly a shot at JV. 

Again, I'd expect pitchers to back JV and hitters not to. 

You can twist his words however you want, but considering English is his 2nd language, I’m almost positive he wasn’t taking a shot at the dude who started the all star game. That just doesn’t sound like Mazara. But if y’all want to keep believing that narrative because it adds fuel to a 7 year old fake rivalry, then be my guest.

15 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

You can twist his words however you want, but considering English is his 2nd language, I’m almost positive he wasn’t taking a shot at the dude who started the all star game. That just doesn’t sound like Mazara. But if y’all want to keep believing that narrative because it adds fuel to a 7 year old fake rivalry, then be my guest.

(1) Twisting? I said he made an assumption. He did, even used the word "probably." Fair point on his English, I have no idea how well he speaks the language. 

(2) Narrative? It's one comment, and certainly not a big deal.

(3) "Rivalry"" - (a) I don't get into "rivalries" much (though I do generally find aggies to be weird and insufferable) in general, more interested in the actual games; (b) these teams didn't play each other until I was an adult, so we seem to feel the same about this particular (non)rivalry. I don't really actively root against any team, and the only player I really dislike is Trevor Bauer because he seems like a an absolute douchebag (in actual life). 

I strongly doubt Mazara or anyone else gets plunked; as mentioned earlier, I doubt anyone really cares. And I would expect (as mentioned) most hitters to feel the same way about JV's commentary. But I do think there is overwhelming reason to believe (accept?) that the 2019 baseballs carry better than in previous years. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

I worded that poorly. I wasn’t talking to you directly. You should have been replaced with y’all. Or anyone who is dumb enough to think mazara was actually talking shit about Verlander. Or anyone who thinks “mazara better hope he doesn’t play on Sunday.” Lol When you actually know anything about mazara, and the type of timid personality he has, it’s almost laughable to think about. Like, it would be one thing if Bregman said it, but that’s his personality. That’s the only reason I couldn’t resist commenting. I’ll fade back out of this thread. Good luck tonight. No more injuries, please. 

jesus this whole fucking thing is dumb.

it's not like some reporter was talking to verlander and was like, "hey, why do you think you're giving up so many homers this season?"  and he replied, "well, it's not my fault, the fucking balls are juiced."

there are certain people that are qualified to give their opinion on the balls based on accomplishment and experience, and if verlander wants to discuss this stuff, i will consider him an expert on the subject, and give more credence than i would some random 22 year old reliever up for a couple weeks.

there are like 5-6 teams on pace to break the team record for homers this season.  a record that was set...a year ago.  that's not just some weird outlier.  i think mazara's comment is somewhat accurate, but it's not like verlander is the only one to bring up the juiced ball.  come on.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I worded that poorly. I wasn’t talking to you directly. You should have been replaced with y’all. Or anyone who is dumb enough to think mazara was actually talking shit about Verlander. Or anyone who thinks “mazara better hope he doesn’t play on Sunday.” Lol When you actually know anything about mazara, and the type of timid personality he has, it’s almost laughable to think about. Like, it would be one thing if Bregman said it, but that’s his personality. That’s the only reason I couldn’t resist commenting. I’ll fade back out of this thread. Good luck tonight. No more injuries, please. 

I just hate the goddamned juiced baseball. 

56 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

there are like 5-6 teams on pace to break the team record for homers this season.  a record that was set...a year ago.  that's not just some weird outlier.  i think mazara's comment is somewhat accurate, but it's not like verlander is the only one to bring up the juiced ball.  come on.

Exactly.  

It can be both.  Verlander probably IS upset at his home run allowed number.  And Verlander is absolutely correct that the ball is juiced this year.

My curiosity is why does Nomar Mazara of all people get to sound off on this?  Bro, you're the poster boy for a heralded prospect becoming a mediocre player.  Go take some BP and quit jawing with a first ballot Hall of Famer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

My curiosity is why does Nomar Mazara of all people get to sound off on this?  Bro, you're the poster boy for a heralded prospect becoming a mediocre player.  Go take some BP and quit jawing with a first ballot Hall of Famer.

eh, just in the rangers universe i would say profar is the poster boy.  feels like we heard about that guy for a half-decade.