2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Just now, VirginiaLonghorn said:

So ... Greinke, 2 1/2 years for $53M, is a better deal than Morton, 2 years for $30M?

Must be that analytics shit that’s all the rage these daze ...

This is tired.  The Astros didn’t re-sign Morton for very specific injury concerns.  I was hoping they would sign him, but I get why they didn’t.  You do remember the Astros beating the snot out him last week, right?

• Like 1

Just now, Guadaloopy said:

This is tired.  The Astros didn’t re-sign Morton for very specific injury concerns.  I was hoping they would sign him, but I get why they didn’t.  You do remember the Astros beating the snot out him last week, right?

If you’re tired, go to bed.

I’ll awaken you when Greinke earns a buck for the Astros. 

Didn’t the Athletic article someone posted also mentioned Grienke started slow for Arizona after that trade?

Since coming to the Astros, (Zack) Greinke has been good but not as dominant as before, and certainly not as much as the hype. He also struggled a bit after signing with Arizona in 2016. Is it just moving to a new league? Was the hype overblown? Why do you think he’s performed well but maybe below some fans’ expectations? — Jason M.

Before I get to my response, let’s examine the results.

Greinke in his 23 starts with Arizona this season (146 innings): 2.90 ERA, 3.20 FIP, 0.945 WHIP, 1.3 BB/9, 8.3 K/9, .614 opponent OPS

Greinke in his five starts with Houston (31.1 innings): 3.45 ERA, 4.27 FIP, 1.309 WHIP, 2.3 BB/9, 6.6 K/9, .742 opponent OPS

I know it doesn’t make for the most interesting explanation, but the regression here could be as simple as small-sample randomness. Greinke has had worse five-start stretches this year, including to begin the season. And while he’s given up more hits than usual since joining the Astros and his start in Oakland was really the only dominant outing he’s had so far, the end result in four of his five starts has still been pretty good.

I’m not sure how much can be attributed to the change in league or team. And he came to Houston so analytically savvy that I don’t think the Astros have even changed much with his attack plan. Marquee deadline acquisitions always come with exorbitant hype because of the weeks of buildup that lead to July 31. But I don’t think Greinke’s five starts in August are necessarily indicative of how he will pitch moving forward. It’s more so just a small snapshot of his overall season, in which he has a 2.99 ERA.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Management needs to have a talk with Springer in the off-season. He doesn't need to be all effort in every game he plays defensively. Being on the field is more important than 5 star catches.

This is nuts for several reasons.   

1. Five star catches save runs.

2. The players you want on your team don’t know what 80% even feels like.  

3.  It takes 100% effort to play competitively in MLB.  Even by the best.  Asking a player to bring it back from the edge, even a little, risks a serious decline in results.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Management needs to have a talk with Springer in the off-season. He doesn't need to be all effort in every game he plays defensively. Being on the field is more important than 5 star catches.

Going to respectfully disagree with you here. He is the player he his because of the way he plays the game. He is the catalyst to the team and brings out the best in his teammates by his example. He plays in the moment and It is what it is. He’s not doing anything dumb, just playing and being who he is. They know what they have there, and the reward outweighs the risks.

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

This is nuts for several reasons.   

1. Five star catches save runs.

2. The players you want on your team don’t know what 80% even feels like.  

3.  It takes 100% effort to play competitively in MLB.  Even by the best.  Asking a player to bring it back from the edge, even a little, risks a serious decline in results.

And how many runs is Springer creating and/or saving on the DL for 40 games a year?

Edited by HtownHorn