2019 Texas Rangers Thread

Vic Mackey

Despite Odor being a waste of a contract - I doubt anyone here predicted we'd be over .500 60 games in. Our pitching sucks less than I thought it would and our bats have been pretty damn good across the board. I've been watching probably every other game which I never would have bet on before the season started. 

• Like 1

Minor and Lynn have been pretty good and you have to feel most nights they'll keep us in the game.  Sampson and Jurado have been solid ( so far ).  I have no faith when Smyly takes the mound and any win on a night when he starts is a bonus.  

The bullpen has been better lately ( still not that great ).  Chavez has actually turned it around and has an ERA below 4 now.  Kelley doesn't have dominant stuff at closer so we'll see how that goes.  Every lefty they've tried this year is garbage.  

During the entire month of June, the Rangers will play exactly 3 games against teams currently above .500- which includes series with Boston, Cleveland, Cincy, Detroit, & Oakland. Not until they meet the Rays in the last series of the month will they see a squad with a better record than their own at this point. 

Crazy. 

30-27 is way above my expectations.

with Gallo out likely 2 weeks we need the team to all pick it up.  be nice if Guzman and Cabrera could go on a streak.    i hold no hope for Odor.  I have no idea how he did what he did for about 2.5 years but he sucks horribly.

Odor got a clutch hit today. One hit yesterday. It seems like he needs to feel some serious heat before he gets it together. That said, a .170 avg ain't gonna cut it. Neither is a .220 - not with Forsythe on the Bench and Willie coming back. Plus, KC is a crappy team. I think by the end of the Oakland series, they'll have made a  decision.

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Odor got a clutch hit today. One hit yesterday. It seems like he needs to feel some serious heat before he gets it together. That said, a .170 avg ain't gonna cut it. Neither is a .220 - not with Forsythe on the Bench and Willie coming back. Plus, KC is a crappy team. I think by the end of the Oakland series, they'll have made a  decision.

Odor always hits against the royals and their AA quality pitching staff.  The Doug Brocail led pitching staff Orioles shit show is coming to town. I don’t care how Odor does against really bad teams, he needs to get hits against teams like the A’s, Red Sox, and rays to make me like him again.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DougO said:

Pence can go up to the plate wearing crotchless panties and a garter belt if he wants as long as he's hitting like he has been.

2nd. Pence has been a stud. Welcome addition to the rotation this year. 

3 minutes ago, DougO said:

Definitely need a starting pitcher, preferably one that could be ready sooner than later.

Yeah by like Friday at the latest.

LSB is saying it's not Bishop. Maybe not Jung. Maybe Baty?

I'd be fine with Manaoh

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

He is.  Don't know how or why I typed it the way I did.  Meant to say a lot of scouts don't think Jung will stay at 3rd, they are anticipating a move to 1st. 

I thought that too but then I read some people think he's got a good chance to stick so who knows.  

I like the Wendzel pick because I think he might be able to play COF too if he doesn't stick at 3rd.

I've read conflicting reports on Garcia but he's got a high spin rate and that's something they seem to like now.  

I guess I'm just glad they've seemed to change their philosophy a bit for some guys who might be able to contribute sooner and guys who have good hit tools.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

I thought that too but then I read some people think he's got a good chance to stick so who knows.  

I like the Wendzel pick because I think he might be able to play COF too if he doesn't stick at 3rd.

I've read conflicting reports on Garcia but he's got a high spin rate and that's something they seem to like now.  

I guess I'm just glad they've seemed to change their philosophy a bit for some guys who might be able to contribute sooner and guys who have good hit tools.

Yeah, it’s not a bad day when you get the 2 Big XII Co-Players of the Year and the Pac Pitcher of the year in 1 swoop.  3 guys who hopefully will contribute earlier.  

Davis runs really well, so definitely could be an option at COF, but he can also play SS and 2B.  Good problem to have 

I don't know much about MLB draft prospects, but from the profiles I like the fact they they are now trying to collect pure hitters and not just power guys. They have needed high average guys for a long time. Not sure where the ace pitcher is coming from, though.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I don't know much about MLB draft prospects, but from the profiles I like the fact they they are now trying to collect pure hitters and not just power guys. They have needed high average guys for a long time. Not sure where the ace pitcher is coming from, though.

You've got to get lucky with Aces.  Gotta grow them and hope to get lucky

Edited by Post Oak

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

So I saw we were down 9-2 and then lost 12-11. 

Not sure whether to be disappointed or indifferent about that. 

If we use the armpit fans' methodology:  Guys have no quit in 'em, good for our run differential, etc.  

28 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Odor sits tonight.

thank god.  just pathetic how much we overpaid for his sorry ass.  he can't hit a fastball and he's a K machine. If he can't just swing away wildly he's a complete headcase at the plate.  dude got paid though.

thank god.  just pathetic how much we overpaid for his sorry ass.  he can't hit a fastball and he's a K machine. If he can't just swing away wildly he's a complete headcase at the plate.  dude got paid though.
Yeah but that one time he punched Bautista!!
  • Haha 1