2019 Texas Rangers Thread

Vic Mackey

5 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Yeah they must have assumed it was a homer I guess. 

1 minute ago, SurlyBDR said:

Jurado pounding the strike zone. Refreshing 

He's having a great game. Killer 6th inning. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Did you watch the replay?  They could have sprinted after the ball and there is nothing they could have done. 

I guess I'm not thinking about it properly. Seems like someone should have at least ran to the ball and tried to rip it home. 

Anyway... we kicked their asses. Boston is three games behind us in the WC race. Cleveland is two. Game 3 with the Sox today at 3pm.

Based on what I've seen so far this series, we're a better team than Boston - especially when you add Gallo and Calhoun into the mix.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

9 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

if we can convince them to play the next two games today.

Vic is assuming we're going to run it up on them again today and they won't even show for Thursday's fixture. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Would we be 10 games over .500 with a better pen?  I think so.

JD is good at finding BP pieces at the deadline.  We'll just have to wait. 

We would have two World Series with a better pen. 

Same shit different season. 

So what's gonna happen when Gallo and Calhoun return? Seems to me we need to keep DeShields around. I don't see the Rangers sending an outfielder back down. I don't know the numbers, but it seems to me that one of Odor, Forsythe, Guzman or Cabrera will be gone. Forsythe can play multiple roles. So can Gallo (he can play first base, not as well as Guzman, of course.) Guzman's avg is a bit of a question mark. Odor is good at second, but he could go into a hitting slump tomorrow. Forsythe is slumping right now, I think because he's not getting the playing time.

The first four hitters got on base 13 times. Then came Cabrera and Santana going 0 for 9 with a walk. Forsythe knocked in two and a walk. Guzman hit for him late - and struck out (now batting .222). Odor 1 for 4 with a walk. Mathis 0 for 4, batting one-fucking-forty.

That said, seems like they stole a hit or two from Cabrera. Odor has his moments. He's at .276 last 7days. If he can kick it up a notch, this team could be wildly successful. Too bad Gallo isn't a great first baseman.

I wonder if Daniels is considering trading an outfielder.

I still think we need to be sellers for the long terms. We are still way behind the Astros to make any serious noise. As we are behind the other real contenders. This season has been a great surprise and they are fun to watch but don't get blinded by the recent success. We still could benefit from making trades to stock up on younger talent, especially pitching.

Houston did it right but they flat out sucked shit for some years. We aren't bad enough right now to do that. They tore it completely down and built from scratch. We aren't that bad and probably won't be but still doesn't mean we need to be buyers. Pence would be a nice piece to trade but at this point, not sure I want him gone. He is a scrappy player who is a great piece to have moving forward.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If he can keep it up - he's on the wrong side of 30. 

Definitely true. If we think we can contend for anything of substance in the next 2 years, then I'd be inclined to keep him. If this is going to be a 3-5 year project, then I'd be up to see what we can get for him. He'd be a nice veteran to have on a younger team if we were in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I still think we need to be sellers for the long terms. We are still way behind the Astros to make any serious noise. As we are behind the other real contenders. This season has been a great surprise and they are fun to watch but don't get blinded by the recent success. We still could benefit from making trades to stock up on younger talent, especially pitching.

Houston did it right but they flat out sucked shit for some years. We aren't bad enough right now to do that. They tore it completely down and built from scratch. We aren't that bad and probably won't be but still doesn't mean we need to be buyers. Pence would be a nice piece to trade but at this point, not sure I want him gone. He is a scrappy player who is a great piece to have moving forward.

I think we have the horses to squeeze into the playoffs. Depending on how healthy our pitching staff is at year end - and the staffs of our opponents in the playoffs, you never know what can happen. We've got the hitting, if  used properly. Maybe we'll get on a roll. Focused so to speak. We just added a couple of young pitchers who look pretty good. Fuck the long term. By the time the young talent peaks, the old talent has left or has gone downhill. Patch it together now. I'd consider trading Mazara or Choo. Probably Guzman. Package a couple together for a solid starter or  strong middle innings guy. The starting pitching hasn't been that bad. Guzman might have some value to someone needing defense and willing to bet on the future.

1 hour ago, jeevsie said:

Update me on Choo's status.  Last year he was tough to deal because of his contract.  Is it better this year?

There’s no way we’ll be able to deal him this season (or in the offseason) without picking up at least half of what’s left on his contract.  Obviously the closer we get to the end of next year the more that amount goes down, but then correspondingly so does the quality of prospects we’d get in return...

20 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I feel this way more often than not when I think about the deadline.  I was listening to Rangers on Deck yesterday and Tepid said the Rangers have  1 3 and 5-year plans and we shouldn't sacrifice the 3 and 5-year plans for the 1-year plan.  I tend to agree.

He also said that the far has good depth but not a lot of top end talent so if you can add to that for a 30-year-old pitcher you should.  Made sense to me. (Apparently Atlanta has 2 70grade CFs that are close to being ready- yes please.)

I think we can be sellers at the deadline (Minor) maybe Pence and also be small buyers to help the bullpen with guys that have some club control. Or take on a contract to get a lottery ticket or two.

I think Choo is good and it is happy to keep him.  I bet they do because they can't find a deal that works.

I think Willie is gonna hit .300 more times than not over his career.  I can't wait until he gets back. Emily said maybe Monday.

I'd see what the market is for Mazara but they're either selling low or this is just who he is now.

I'd see what Seattle is interested in getting off of.

I'd send Rougie down but I don't think they will especially after last night.

Speculation that Palumbo makes his 2nd start next Friday.

I like Woodward.

I like this team    

Go Rangers.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 5:00 PM, jeevsie said:

Update me on Choo's status.  Last year he was tough to deal because of his contract.  Is it better this year?

According to Sportrac, he's signed through 2020, on the hook for another 21 mil next year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DougO said:

According to Sportrac, he's signed through 2020, on the hook for another 21 mil next year.

If one WAR is worth around 8 million, and choo is a 2.5-3 WAR player, then his contract shouldn’t be an issue. It is right in line. He was 3 last season and is 1 so far this year.