2019 Texas Rangers Thread

Vic Mackey

Seems to me that Santana and Willie need to be starting more. Forsythe hasn't been as consistent as I was hoping, but he walked twice last night and helped Elvis steal home with heads-up base running. The error at third was a bad bounce. With Cabrera's strain, one can see the need for keeping him around.

Rugie struck out with the bases loaded and later with a runner on second. So as good as his D has been, I think you gotta put Santana at second and for the time being, rotate Willie, Gallo, Choo and DeShields between two outfield positions (keeping Mazara as "everyday") and the DH slot. Let Cabrera and Forsythe battle it out for third base, but keep Forsythe as backup for the infield. One other option would be to alternate Forsythe and Guzman at first depending on opponent's R/L pitching. Pinch hit with Rugie.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

Didn’t get to watch the game but it looks like the walks really killed us. Put a shit ton of guys on the bases and some of them are eventually going to score. Not sure what was going on with Minor but it looks like he got an early hook- hope he’s not injured. Every guy they brought in out of the pen were terrible last night. Definitely not what we’ve grown accustomed to seeing.

9 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Didn’t get to watch the game but it looks like the walks really killed us. Put a shit ton of guys on the bases and some of them are eventually going to score. Not sure what was going on with Minor but it looks like he got an early hook- hope he’s not injured. Every guy they brought in out of the pen were terrible last night. Definitely not what we’ve grown accustomed to seeing.

Minor was at a very pedestrian 110 pitch count.

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Minor was just a bit off last night, but the HP ump was also calling a pretty tight zone.  He had a lot of high counts, a lot of balls fouled off, and just couldn't seem to get comfortable.  He had also done his starting day routine on Monday, prior to the game being canceled.   Sometimes that has a weird affect on a starting pitcher.  

But yeah, 12 or 13 walks in an MLB game is typically going to lead to you giving up close to 10 runs, just from the walks.  

Looks like pitching has come down to earth and bats have gone to sleep. Frustrating watching twins manufacture runs and leave very few guys on base while we can’t cash in on a double with no outs in the first and leave the bases loaded in the fourth with no runs. I guess they’re starting to regress to the team we thought they were at the beginning of the season. About to lose a third straight series.

Just down by one in the eighth. GAllo, third SO of the day. (Also missed a deep fly ball that he probably should have caught.)

Eighth inning featured three consecutive strikeouts of LH Ranger hitters by a LH pitcher. Not a good idea to line up the lefties in your batting order. I think that's why the play-by-play guy mentioned it several times.

6 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Looks like pitching has come down to earth and bats have gone to sleep. Frustrating watching twins manufacture runs and leave very few guys on base while we can’t cash in on a double with no outs in the first and leave the bases loaded in the fourth with no runs. I guess they’re starting to regress to the team we thought they were at the beginning of the season. About to lose a third straight series.

The bats scored 6 and 4 the last 2 games.  That’s not terrible production. 

The pitching/defense has given up 12 and 7 though. There’s your shit show. 

7 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Since we're only down a run, let's stick that shithead Kelley in to "close" in the bottom of the eighth. Fuck.

It's amazing how often it seems closers pitching in non-close situations tend to shit the bed.

Gallo seems to be back to his old tricks. Gets ahead in the count 2-0. The pitcher has just thrown six plus straight balls and there's a mound meeting. He delivers a softball right down the middle, which Gallo, of course watches. Then he swings at two shit pitches to end the inning. Strike three came in at his feet, low and inside.

Radio guys mentioned before yesterday's game that Odor's average over the previous 10 games was .343. I don't expect that to hold up for any length of time but it's hard to argue against him playing when he's swinging the bat that well.

And I don't know how this game is going to turn out but these guys are playing hard right up to the AS break. And it looks like the Minnesota blast furnace has killed an umpire.