2019 Texas Rangers Thread

Vic Mackey

Odor seemed like the Odor we know too well last night. He seems to make adjustments and use better discipline once in a while that get him a few hits, then he starts getting cocky and resorts back to swinging at pitches a foot out of the zone. I'm just not sure there is a cure for it.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DougO said:

Odor seemed like the Odor we know too well last night. He seems to make adjustments and use better discipline once in a while that get him a few hits, then he starts getting cocky and resorts back to swinging at pitches a foot out of the zone. I'm just not sure there is a cure for it.

I hope he’s off the team sooner rather than later. Won’t hold my breathe tho.

That was as big a loss as there has been all year. What a massive choke job. It's almost as if they are intentionally tanking. Why the holy fuck is that head case LeClerc in there closing? I would rather have the rookie in there, at least he has a shot.

Not that it made any difference, but I don't get why you pinch run for Santana, who is a perfectly fine base runner. He's the only bat on the team that has hit anything in the past month. In a close game there's a strong possibility of needing his bat again.

This was a huge series. This one pretty much flushes whatever was left.

46 minutes ago, DougO said:

Not that it made any difference, but I don't get why you pinch run for Santana, who is a perfectly fine base runner. He's the only bat on the team that has hit anything in the past month. In a close game there's a strong possibility of needing his bat again.

This was a huge series. This one pretty much flushes whatever was left.

He was removed because of groin tightness.

• Like 1

Correct me if I have any of this wrong. There were runners at first and third with one out, and we intentionally load the bases to allow a force at any base - with wild man psycho on the mound? He walks in the winning run. Even if there are runners at second and third, you're going to have to pull in the infield. I don't think you should play for a double play - which means it's likely that in anything but an sure DP ball, you have to go home - and beat the runner from third, so what good does loading the bases do?

LeClerc's performance is exactly why we quit using him as a closer. So what if Chris Martin closed the night before, and maybe even the night before that. Let him close again. Or try someone else.

Hadn't the previous pitcher just finished getting an out before Woodard pulled him? Fuck, leave him in.

I don't put in LeClerc unless I have another pitcher in the bullpen ready to go as soon as he begins to melt down.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

Looks like a good opportunity for the Rangers, Allard was ranked the number 10 Braves prospect overall and is considered to have an MLB ready arm. Atlanta was pretty stocked up in that range of starting guy and traded away a decent prospect.

5 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Likely related...

Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com tweeted out Tuesday morning that the Rangers were in agreement on a $4.2 million deal for 16-year old OF Bayron Lora. Lora, a native of the Dominican Republic, was ranked as the #3 international prospect available in this period by MLB.com and the #5 J2 prospect by Fangraphs.

He’s yet to sign a deal with Texas needing to add some international bonus money along the way to sign Lora and his counterparts, but this was likely agreed upon months ago and the Rangers will have a plan in place to secure the necessary slot money.

https://nolanwritin.com/2019/07/02/texas-rangers-sign-international-prospects/

50 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Im just going to assume that they didn't get enough offered for Minor.   

That's what I'm going to tell myself so I don't freak out.  

I dunno

I have to believe that as well. As pissed as I am for not getting anything for Minor or Lynn, I'd be more pissed for only getting a bag of baseballs in return.

34 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

Standing pat. This front office seems content to be middle of the pack. We’re not winning shit with this team in the next few years.

Okay.  Im just assuming they'd rather keep MM and the others mentioned instead of taking and inferior haul. I assume you do too.

Im not sure why they didn't move Pence. I guess they're going to ride out the year with Nomar and Odor but if it was me both their asses would be in Nashville.

**Spystud reminded me Odor can't be sent down

Edited by Post Oak

11 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

Standing pat. This front office seems content to be middle of the pack. We’re not winning shit with this team in the next few years.

Well it seems no one was offering much for Minor. Did you really want to trade him for a below average haul just for the sake of making moves?

6 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Okay.  Im just assuming they'd rather keep MM and the others mentioned instead of taking and inferior haul. I assume you do too.

Im not sure why they didn't move Pence. I guess they're going to ride out the year with Nomar and Odor but if it was me both their asses would be in Nashville.

We really weren't going to get anything for Pence.  Maybe 2023 project outfielder or infielder or a High A kid that projected as a ML late inning guy 2 years down the road.  

Just now, Trey3216 said:

We really weren't going to get anything for Pence.  Maybe 2023 project outfielder or infielder or a High A kid that projected as a ML late inning guy 2 years down the road.  

Im fine taking one of those kids  Maybe he can string together season like he's having.  

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Well it seems no one was offering much for Minor. Did you really want to trade him for a below average haul just for the sake of making moves?

I’d rather move him for something over losing him for nothing after next year, considering this team isn’t making noise next season.

I think it’s much more likely that JD is incompetent at his job than it is that there were no offers worth exploring for any moveable pieces we have.

The mediocrity continues.

3 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

I’d rather move him for something over losing him for nothing after next year, considering this team isn’t making noise next season.

I think it’s much more likely that JD is incompetent at his job than it is that there were no offers worth exploring for any moveable pieces we have.

I think they'll give Minor a 3 year extension in fairly short order.  

1 hour ago, Get ln My Van said:

I think we sign him after next year.

So who are some names that are coming off a major arm injury or a has-been that JD will sign for the starting rotation next year?  

Have to think we'll get at least 2 in the mold of Smyly, Miller, Volquez then hear how great they look in spring training only to be absolute garbage once the season begins.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Get ln My Van said:

I guess we’ll see. I just don’t have much faith in JD’s decision making lately

Same here. I wished they got a new GM when they got a new manager to get a fresh new start and direction.

But we have to start hitting on starting pitching. This franchise has been god awful at that.

I didn’t think the Rangers had much they were willing to trade with good contracts that would bring prospects.  Minor and Lynn don’t move the needle.   I mean see what Stroman brought.  Choo and Andrus are great players but have big contracts.   

Gallo is a stud and would cost a shitload of prospects.  But I’m pretty sure you’ll get to watch him hit 550 homers for the Rangers. You weren’t trading him. 

Santana is the same as Minor and Lynn.  No competing team really trusts the track record to play him.  

6 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Im surprised the day wasn't busier.  

The Greinke thing doesn't faze me.  We weren't going to catch them in the next 2 years anyway.

It’s be nice to have the assets to trade for 3 TOR pitchers in 23 months and still have the best offense in the league. 

But that involves knowing how to acquire talent.