2019 Texas Rangers Thread

Vic Mackey

Sounds like Minor is getting moved

Here's Woodward saying as much

Chris Woodward on

's report that "Mike Minor is increasingly likely to be traded": "We've got to accept that, and embrace that, and move on with our day." (link: https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1151516517449850882) twitter.com/jonmorosi/stat…

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Sounds like Minor is getting moved

Here's Woodward saying as much

Chris Woodward on

's report that "Mike Minor is increasingly likely to be traded": "We've got to accept that, and embrace that, and move on with our day." (link: https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1151516517449850882) twitter.com/jonmorosi/stat…

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 7/16/2019 at 8:38 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

I kinda dig Arizona’s dark grays but don’t understand the teal with it. 

I think they're terrible, especially in what looked like poor lighting at the Ballpark last night.

What a shit-show. Team way over-achieved for the first 80 games. I wouldn't trade Minor unless you get some real value in return as he's still under team control through next year. It's gonna take more than Willie Calhoun-for-Darvish to get me into a deal-making frame of mind.

Cabrera wasn't highly sought after in the free agent market. That's why he's with the Rangers. He's a decent player and not hitting well now, but they don't have a lot of realistic options there now. Cabrera will likely get into a better groove and end up hitting 260-270 as he usually does. But he doesn't have a ton of trade value.

Deshields has no trade value beyond maybe shot-in-the-dark low rated prospect.

A guy like Calhoun has some value, but the Rangers got him because his former team was concerned about his defense, and he has done very little to overcome that. He's not the prospect he once was. And a team that's going to want Calhoun probably doesn't think he'll be a reliable hitter in the playoffs. A trade there might be a depth for depth type deal, teams trading similar prospects hoping for for a better fit, or a throw-in with Minor or somebody like that to sweeten a deal.

Pence is old and playing over his head. Playing in his home town probably helped. He may have some trade value but not a ton. Nothing you're going to get a major piece for your franchise, unless it's a single A guy that's a long way off and not a top 10 organization prospect. If he stays hot and healthy he might draw some attention for a half way decent prospect that could have starting potential, but probably more likely a post-deadline type deal.

Guzman doesn't hit well enough now to interest anyone, and nobody trades for defensive ability at first base in a playoff run. He'll continue to be a Ranger with hopes he can take another step.

I could see Santana drawing some interest if he doesn't come back to Earth. His versatility and speed could make him a good plug-in for a team that needs offense they can plug in at various spots. He is old for a breakout player and a bit of a long term gamble. The right team in need might overpay for short term need in a playoff run.

I really don't see the Rangers making a big trade at this point, other than possibly Minor for some young prospects if the Rangers continue to slide. It's just a tough situation. The trade they just made for the second baseman is probably as big as we will see this year. 

Pitching is the key. The question I have is "what are the odds that any pitching prospect (that we might trade Minor for) turns out to be bonafide above average starting pitcher in the next three years?" Minor is still under contract next year. If we can pick up a solid starter somewhere next year, we'll have a solid staff. Don't we also have a good pitcher coming off the DL next year (or something like that)? I suppose if someone gave us a top draft pick... Won't happen. We just gotta spend some money next year. Keep Minor happy. Hopefully he likes the new ball park. Re-sign him for 2021. I don't see us getting much for him anyway.

JD really fucked up on the Odor contract.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

As a favor to you Texas fans, I think I'm never going to a Rangers game ever again. It always ends ugly. Last four games.....

July 26, 2017 - Miami crushed Texas 22 to 10. I swear the game lasted 4 hours. Crazy.

June 4, 2019 - Baltimore goes up like 12 to 2 or something. Terrible pitching. Most of crowd leaves. I stayed to watch a decent rally in the 9th. Lose it 12-11

July 1, 2019 - Drive all the way to Dallas from OKC.....get to the park....find out Skaggs dies. Gets back in car and drives to OKC.

July 17, 2019 - In town and catch the Arizona game. Holy cow....horrible pitching. Arizona 19-4

I haven't witnessed a Rangers win in 12 years. I'm done.  

• Like 2

Mazara, Gallo, Andrus, Mathis were O-fors. Pinch hitting Guzman? WTF is his avg?  Guzman hasn't had a hit in his last four games (at least 4). He's batting .167 in his last 19. The only hitter worse is Mathis. Starting to wonder about Woodard.
Calhoun is down, who on the bench would you rather PH in that situation?

10 hours ago, Dr Fear said:
10 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:
Mazara, Gallo, Andrus, Mathis were O-fors. Pinch hitting Guzman? WTF is his avg?  Guzman hasn't had a hit in his last four games (at least 4). He's batting .167 in his last 19. The only hitter worse is Mathis. Starting to wonder about Woodard.

Calhoun is down, who on the bench would you rather PH in that situation?

RHP or not, DeShields. Then Forsythe. Forsythe makes contact and he gets walks.

via Rotoworld:

Jon Paul Morosi of MLB.com reports that Danny Santana has been drawing trade interest.

With a .917 OPS this season and the ability to play multiple positions, it's not a surprise that contenders are interested in Santana. The Rangers don't have to trade him given that he's under team control through 2021, but they might be wise to cash in on what has been easily the 28-year-old best season in five years.

I agree with this, through I wouldn't mind keeping him. If they can cash in big enough you gotta really consider making a deal. He very well could be one of these one-season breakthrough guys. Thing is, his defense isn't that great, either. They have too many guys who are just playing positions they can play somewhat adequately for their bat, not necessarily good defensive players.

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Trade everything and start over.

Well yea, the fact that they somewhat overachieved for as long as they did has made that more possible than I would have thought (in terms of getting goods in return)...of course I also have a feeling JD is going to really screw this humongous opportunity up.  

1 hour ago, DougO said:

via Rotoworld:

Jon Paul Morosi of MLB.com reports that Danny Santana has been drawing trade interest.

With a .917 OPS this season and the ability to play multiple positions, it's not a surprise that contenders are interested in Santana. The Rangers don't have to trade him given that he's under team control through 2021, but they might be wise to cash in on what has been easily the 28-year-old best season in five years.

I agree with this, through I wouldn't mind keeping him. If they can cash in big enough you gotta really consider making a deal. He very well could be one of these one-season breakthrough guys. Thing is, his defense isn't that great, either. They have too many guys who are just playing positions they can play somewhat adequately for their bat, not necessarily good defensive players.

There’s about 6 other tradeable guys I’d get rid of before Santana. 

The good martin, Shawn Kelley, Cabrera, minor, forsythe, and possibly Choo or Mazara.

if he was an expiring contract, I’d agree. We would look like idiots if he was “for real”, tore it up in the playoffs, then they would have a great player for 2 years while paying him almost nothing. I’d rather have him on the team.