Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

Maybe 15 years ago. He’s way past his expiration date.

I’m old. Music and pop culture from 15-25 will be forever imprinted in your brain as relevant and cool.  

I’d argue kid rock was cooler than those other two ever dreamed of being, but with the trail of trim chachi has plowed through maybe I’m wrong. 

21 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Well this millennial was 22 at the time. And saw first hand the damage it caused. And it still didn't stop the violence.

A person born in 1972 is not a millenial, assuming you mean 1994.

Edited by trauma babe

52 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m old. Music and pop culture from 15-25 will be forever imprinted in your brain as relevant and cool.  

I’d argue kid rock was cooler than those other two ever dreamed of being, but with the trail of trim chachi has plowed through maybe I’m wrong. 

w0u74fjk7hf31.jpg

This is the cool one? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

1. None of those three are cool in their current incarnations as angry grandpas saying inflammatory MAGA shit on Twitter.  But when they were in their primes and actually relevant, the cool one was clearly James Woods.  At least he was a good and entertaining actor at one time.

2. Biden should absolutely give some speeches for the networks to televise that are basically just what any decent past President would say.  Call for unity, justice, ending the violence and stopping the harm.  He doesn’t even have to propose any policy.  Just act like he cares, be a calming influence, and call for peace.  If Trump and the GOP complain that message is somehow politicizing things, then Trump will just look even worse.

i'm a big believer that the president should lead.  should console.  should have empathy.  and should speak to us when we need speaking to.  i'm in favor of giving the current president an opportunity to (attempt to) do that.  he has about another 2-3 hours to get on tv and speak to the country.

once he passes that up, it's fair game.  biden is unemployed.  obama is unemployed.  it doesn't matter.  they don't have to be sitting senators to fill the obvious leadership vacuum happening right now in this country.  if the gop wants to say they're politicizing it, then dems can explain that empathy doesn't have a political preference.

i can't remember a time when you could feel the vacuum so strongly.  and it's really starting to suck.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm a big believer that the president should lead.  should console.  should have empathy.  and should speak to us when we need speaking to.  i'm in favor of giving the current president an opportunity to (attempt to) do that.  he has about another 2-3 hours to get on tv and speak to the country.

once he passes that up, it's fair game.  biden is unemployed.  obama is unemployed.  it doesn't matter.  they don't have to be sitting senators to fill the obvious leadership vacuum happening right now in this country.  if the gop wants to say they're politicizing it, then dems can explain that empathy doesn't have a political preference.

i can't remember a time when you could feel the vacuum so strongly.  and it's really starting to suck.

It’s only the best vacuums that suck the most. Everybody says so. Very best.  People won’t stop talking about our vacuum. 

23 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm taking shots at the powerful, you and your fellows here cannot see beyond your hurt feelings on social media, which is deeply and personally pathetic.

Intentional irony?

Bad teammate would rather have 4 more years of Trump taking us to the bottom because he wants to see the world burn.

And Henry, Trump is never going to get on TV and act like a statesman and President of the United States.  He's not qualified to run the corner Arby's let alone unite a country.   

A real President would have done that yesterday after the successful SpaceX launch.  He would have harkened back to decades of American Exceptionalism.  Back to JFK asking why Rice plays Texas...  Why should we got to the moon...  Why did we launch astronauts from Cape Canaveral instead of from Russia... And how we as a country can begin to respect all Americans in the same way, every day.  How we need to overcome this heavy burden of inequality.

But he didnt.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

That gives me hope.

me, too... and it also makes me worry for his health. ugh. but he needs to be out there talking to people. necessary risk? maybe

Edited by mchookem
definitely

Said this over on the Minneapolis is Burning thread.    My thoughts have changed.    It's time for the Joe Show to go on the Road for brief meetings with people affected by this.   Store owners, residents, community leaders, law enforcement, local and state leaders.

Listen.  Make it about them.

Imagine if all the candidates who marketed themselves progressive throughout the course of the election dropped out after Nevada (and it was clear they had no chance) and endorsed the progressive candidate who had a great chance instead of either not endorsing or endorsing the candidate who is openly anti-progressive and anti-youth. It's almost like their progressive beliefs and the progressive beliefs of their followers were just marketing.
Just really funny to watch people who spent a year pretending to be progressive be so quick to "other" the movement.

Most of us non far-left who voted for Bernie and have managed not to devolve into a blubbering mess of insecurity and tears after Biden beat him never claimed to be "progressive". However, unlike you, we will go pull the lever for the candidate that affords the progressive agenda the best chance to advance.
So while we may not be as snow white pure as Twitter nerds want us to be, our actions are doing far more for the movement than your inaction.

Your "actions"? Voting and... what? Posting? What makes "actions" plural here?

Are you going to donate? Phonebank? Door-knock? Stuff mailers? Sign-up voters?

Will your vote for president (which is the only spot I might leave blank in November, I will be voting) make any difference?

Again, in the absence of leadership at the White House, Biden can make real endroads by being everything right now that Trump is not. Show them you can lead, Joe. It's evident that Trump has no plans and nothing other than the status quo or going backwards. Show people the way forwards. 

Edited by mdmost

36 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Again, in the absence of leadership at the White House, Biden can make real endroads by being everything right now that Trump is not. Show them you can lead, Joe. It's evident that Trump has no plans and nothing other than the status quo or going backwards. Show people the way forwards. 

Correct.  The Biden campaign is committing political malpractice if they don't take advantage of this obvious opportunity to look presidential - meet with police officers, protesters, small businessmen whose stores were looted, and express the empathy that we know he is capable of and Trump is not.

19 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Bad_teammate chiming in with his winning political advice as always.  No new voters allowed!  If you haven’t voted straight ticket progressive all your life, we don’t want your support!  We don’t need votes to win elections!

Just curious what basis some of you have to talk down to others.

Seems like you don't have much.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Your "actions"? Voting and... what? Posting? What makes "actions" plural here?

Are you going to donate? Phonebank? Door-knock? Stuff mailers? Sign-up voters?

Will your vote for president (which is the only spot I might leave blank in November, I will be voting) make any difference?

Will you vote for Biden instead of trump?

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Tell us who you are going to vote for this fall.

For which office? Do you guys know there are positions in government other than president? Did you know that those offices are actually a lot more relevant to your lives and the lives of your neighbors than president?

If Biden takes back saying he will veto M4A: Biden at the top and straight-ticket D downballot
If Biden doesn't take back saying he will veto M4A: No one at the top and straight-ticket D downballot

There is not a circumstance in which I would ever vote for a Republican candidate to major office, much less Donald Trump.

It's never happened and it never will. I know this bothers a lot of you, but that's just how it is.

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

Because you're kind of an idiot.

Tell me about your voting history.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

For which office? Do you guys know there are positions in government other than president? Did you know that those offices are actually a lot more relevant to your lives and the lives of your neighbors than president?

If Biden takes back saying he will veto M4A: Biden at the top and straight-ticket D downballot
If Biden doesn't take back saying he will veto M4A: No one at the top and straight-ticket D downballot

There is not a circumstance in which I would ever vote for a Republican candidate to major office, much less Donald Trump.

It's never happened and it never will. I know this bothers a lot of you, but that's just how it is.

Lol. I’ll only vote for Biden if he sucks my dick while whistling Dixie. You are such an obvious fraud here. Don’t you know we know that by now?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm not an internet contrarian troll. 

But hey, we cant all be assholes.

I mean, a lot of you have plenty of R votes in your past. A lot of you were Iraq War boosters. I don't think that disqualifies people from commentary or change, but I do think it should make people very circumspect in trying to take on some kind of righteous purity standard regarding voting, especially towards someone whose actual righteous voting purity is much, much, much higher than their own.

I have no respect for your chiding, because it's like being chastised by temporarily-reformed child molesters.

Just now, Macanudo said:

I'm not an internet contrarian troll. 

But hey, we cant all be assholes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I mean, a lot of you have plenty of R votes in your past. A lot of you were Iraq War boosters. I don't think that disqualifies people from commentary or change, but I do think it should make people very circumspect in trying to take on some kind of righteous purity standard regarding voting, especially towards someone whose actual righteous voting purity is much, much, much higher than their own.

I have no respect for your chiding, because it's like being chastised by temporarily-reformed child molesters.

I stopped voting for a R President after W got us into Iraq.  But you're perfectly happy seeing Trump win a second term, right?

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Not voting at the top is a vote for Trump. You clearly don't understand anything about game theory.

But by all means, carry on with your platitudes. And I've never voted for a single R in my voting life, so you can't pull that card on me.

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Tell me about your mental health history.

I do not have donkey brains. I have a certificate.

Just now, Macanudo said:

I stopped voting for a R President after W got us into Iraq. 

You voted Kerry in '04? Nice! *hi-five*

I was a god damned pariah on the ancient boards/BBS around then.

But you're perfectly happy seeing Trump win a second term, right?

No. My vote for president will be immaterial to the outcome of the election. I live in Texas, where Trump is going to win handily.

1 minute ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Not voting at the top is a vote for Trump. 

This doesn't make any sense. There's no logic here.

If you think there is play it out. Then apply that same logic to this statement: "Not voting at the top is a vote for Biden."

Let me know if you maintain logical consistency.

And I've never voted for a single R in my voting life, so you can't pull that card on me.

Great! :D

Time to eat all your words

high time we made a stand and shook up the view of the common man

Swallow your pride (and the love train rides from coast to coast)
Open your eyes (every minute of every hour)
Open your eyes (I love a sunflower)
Open your eyes (and I believe in love power, love power)
Open your eyes (love power)

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This doesn't make any sense. There's no logic here.

If you think there is play it out. Then apply that same logic to this statement: "Not voting at the top is a vote for Biden."

Let me know if you maintain logical consistency.

It's not rocket science. In any US presidential election, there are only two candidates that can win. There are two ways you can make a candidate one vote closer to victory. 1) You can vote for the candidate, which reduces their required vote total to win by one vote; 2) You can not vote for their opponent, thereby making the candidate's vote total required one vote lower, as they no longer need a vote to cancel yours out. Not voting is exactly the same as voting either third party or a write-in; you're taking a vote away from the opponent, which means the candidate is one vote closer to a majority.

You've already made clear you won't vote for Trump. Which means you'll either vote for Biden or not vote. Those are your three options, of which you've eliminated one. So for you, your choices are vote for Biden or not vote at all. Voting for Biden is self-explanatory. Not voting requires Trump get one fewer vote in Texas, which has the exact same net effect as voting for Trump.

More accurately, not voting is a vote for the eventual winner, but in your instance, by eliminating one of your voting choices, you're left with only two options. The effects of each are equal and opposite.

Your statement is a strawman in this scenario, however it would be true if applied to a person who would only vote for Trump or not vote.

1 hour ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

You've already made clear you won't vote for Trump. Which means you'll either vote for Biden or not vote. Those are your three options, of which you've eliminated one. So for you, your choices are vote for Biden or not vote at all. Voting for Biden is self-explanatory. Not voting requires Trump get one fewer vote in Texas, which has the exact same net effect as voting for Trump.

Whether or not I have personally eliminated voting for Trump doesn't change the math of the vote itself.

So no, the net effect of voting for Trump and not voting for Trump are not the same. Do the math again. You could argue that a non-vote is something like a half-vote for Trump, but it's literally not the same mathematically. It makes zero sense.

BT votes Trump: Biden 200, Trump 201
BT doesn't vote: Biden 200, Trump 200
BT votes Biden: Biden 201, Trump 200

Eliminating the top option doesn't yield the same result in either direction. A vote for Trump from me means Biden needs 2. A non-vote means he needs 1. A vote for Biden means Biden needs 0.

You're using bad logic and worse rhetoric.

tenor.gif?itemid=14630630

Edited by bad_teammate

5 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

A series of photo-ops with more competent people writing the words? I'm down for 4 years of that.

This is what I was suggesting when saying Biden needs to get out of the basement. A few of these sorts of photo-ops and targeted interviews / posts will make a lot of people remember what it's like to have some humanity in the White House, which will help him in the polls and voting boxes. 

I've been on the "what he's doing is working, don't fuck it up" bandwagon, but whoever decided to get him out and visiting the protest site needs a promotion.  That image contrasted with a dark White House and Trump in his bunker is jarring in a way that even non-political people will notice.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 7

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden