2019 NBA Playoffs Thread

Vic Mackey

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The Clippers might not win another game in this series, but damn, last night goes a long ways towards attracting the Kawhis, Kyries, and even KDs of the league. They're one superstar and a couple of small pieces away from taking over LA, and being in the top tier of contenders.

I've never been a Doc guy, but he has done a tremendous job. And their front office is rock solid.

They have a shit load of UFA's who they are going to have to give up their Bird Rights to chase a star. Then there is the pending FA of Gallinari and Harrell after next season. You are right that they were smart to replace Doc with West in the front office, but this team is likely going to be gutted in the next 2 years.

38 minutes ago, d2o said:

The way he hit the ground I thought he was knocked out.   I couldn't believe he popped right back up like that.     That was definitely badass.   

He's a badass.  Too bad he's not enough of a scumbag to retaliate.

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:
6 hours ago, NowThis said:
GS is better without KD who contaminates the offensive flow.  9 TOs tonight. 

Plus, he's a whiny little bitch.

KD definitely benefits more from GSW than GSW benefits from KD. He needed them to win and get over that hump. The only thing GSW needed him for was to eliminate competition, which it did. OKC had zero chance to compete with GSW after KD left.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

KD definitely benefits more from GSW than GSW benefits from KD. He needed them to win and get over that hump. The only thing GSW needed him for was to eliminate competition, which it did. OKC had zero chance to compete with GSW after KD left.

Oh great more awful Durant takes. 

Warriors don't make it out of the first round last season without Durant. They weren't going to repeat without him and certainly won't 3 peat if he were to go down. 

25 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

They have a shit load of UFA's who they are going to have to give up their Bird Rights to chase a star. Then there is the pending FA of Gallinari and Harrell after next season. You are right that they were smart to replace Doc with West in the front office, but this team is likely going to be gutted in the next 2 years.

The entire point of Bird Rights is that you don't have to dump salary to sign outside free agents, so long as you stay $1 under the cap before re-signing your guys. They'll keep who they want to keep. Harrell, Beverley, and Zubac won't command huge deals anyway. Williams is locked in for two more seasons on arguably the best deal in the league. Shai and Shamet are on rookie deals. Maybe they'll be hard-pressed to talk Gallinari into taking much less than he's making now, but he's expendable if they land a true star this offseason. Everyone else on the roster is very expendable. They are in GREAT position. I can't see West striking out.

Edited by aggie08

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The entire point of Bird Rights is that you don't have to dump salary to sign outside free agents, so long as you stay $1 under the cap before re-signing your guys. They'll keep who they want to keep. Harrell, Beverley, and Zubac won't command huge deals anyway. Williams is locked in for two more seasons on arguably the best deal in the league. Shai sand Shamet are on rookie deals. Maybe they'll be hard-pressed to talk Gallinari into taking much less than he's making now, but he's expendable if they land a true star this offseason. Everyone else on the roster is very expendable. They are in GREAT position. I can't see West striking out.

Do you know what cap holds are?

That Boogie injury adds an interesting wrinkle to the offseason.    It was long thought that he would get a big offer and GSW wouldn't be able to keep him.    Now he could be seen as damaged goods again and might possibly sign another MLE deal.

I've always thought he was gonna be the guy that the Lakers ended up with.    If he stays or really trusted with his injury history where do they go now.

Edited by d2o

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Oh great more awful Durant takes. 

Warriors don't make it out of the first round last season without Durant. They weren't going to repeat without him and certainly won't 3 peat if he were to go down. 

Lmao!! This is pure fucking comedy. So without Durant they are a 1st round exit but with him, they propel all the way to NBA champs with ease. Jesus christ this take is fucking ignorant. Only on a Longhorns message board can you hear takes like this about Durant. 

Just now, aggie08 said:

Yes. And where is the huge hold on their roster right now?

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/los_angeles_clippers/

Beverly, Chandler, Green, and Temple all were in their rotation last night. Those 4 eat up almost the entire cap space the Clippers have available to them. They will have to waive close to all of them to sign a star, not too mention whatever offer sheet Zubac gets.

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Beverly, Chandler, Green, and Temple all were in their rotation last night. Those 4 eat up almost the entire cap space the Clippers have available to them. They will have to waive close to all of them to sign a star, not too mention whatever offer sheet Zubac gets.

They will wave goodbye to Chandler and Temple without hesitation, with or without landing a star. They're on the wrong side of 30 and played a combined 20 minutes last night contributing 9 points, 3 rebounds, and an assist, which isn't too far below their regular season production. They may try to keep Green though. Beverley's cap hold is under $10M.

Edited by aggie08

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Are you trying to make the case that Chandler, Green and Temple matter?  The VORP cumulatively on those guys equals 0.  They'll easily be renounced if need be and it creates 45 million in cap space.  Clippers have done a good job of creating space, now they have to convince someone to take the money.  Their risk is Kawhi stays in Toronto, Klay stays in GS and then who do they throw money at?  KD probably isn't going to be 2nd fiddle so the risk is they have a ton of cap space and no one will take it which means they will try and be active in the trade market, signing guys to a lot of 1 year deals and probably keeping their powder dry for next summer.  If Kawhi doesn't come to the Clippers, they start to get desperate IMO because they don't have a ton of other assets in the trade market besides space and a picks starting in 2021.

15 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao!! This is pure fucking comedy. So without Durant they are a 1st round exit but with him, they propel all the way to NBA champs with ease. Jesus christ this take is fucking ignorant. Only on a Longhorns message board can you hear takes like this about Durant. 

No, I'm saying that last year, without Curry and Durant, that team likely falls to San Antonio. 

Because of the KD insurance policy they handled the Spurs in 5 games and then blew out NO in game 1 without Curry as well. 

So yes, not having to play against KD helps, but they 100% needed him last year to win the title. And there is not a chance in hell Golden State wins it all if Durant tears an ACL next game (this season).

Edited by ztejas

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Are you trying to make the case that Chandler, Green and Temple matter?  The VORP cumulatively on those guys equals 0.  They'll easily be renounced if need be and it creates 45 million in cap space.  Clippers have done a good job of creating space, now they have to convince someone to take the money.  Their risk is Kawhi stays in Toronto, Klay stays in GS and then who do they throw money at?  KD probably isn't going to be 2nd fiddle so the risk is they have a ton of cap space and no one will take it which means they will try and be active in the trade market, signing guys to a lot of 1 year deals and probably keeping their powder dry for next summer.  If Kawhi doesn't come to the Clippers, they start to get desperate IMO because they don't have a ton of other assets in the trade market besides space and a picks starting in 2021.

No I making the case that the Clippers team that is currently in the playoffs is going to be gutted in the next 2 years. Though I really like the potential Shamet and Gilgeous-Alexander. Potentially losing 5 guys from the playoff rotation is going to hurt the team, because once Kawhi signs, they aren't going to have money left to sign FAs to fill out the roster, and don't have the Bird rights for those guys anymore.

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Who would KD be 2nd fiddle to? No one on the Clippers, even if they found room for Kawhi as well. LeBron? He'd have a chance to be the best team in LA over LeBron and have a nice bullet point in the argument that he's on LeBron's level (something he seems to desire).

All wishful thinking, of course, since, like LeBron, basketball probably won't be the driving motivator in his decision, so he's going to NY.

21 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Who would KD be 2nd fiddle to? No one on the Clippers, even if they found room for Kawhi as well. LeBron? He'd have a chance to be the best team in LA over LeBron and have a nice bullet point in the argument that he's on LeBron's level (something he seems to desire).

All wishful thinking, of course, since, like LeBron, basketball probably won't be the driving motivator in his decision, so he's going to NY.

This thread is starting to get way off topic but I think Durant is more likely to go to the Lakers (shudder) than the Clippers. 

That said I think you're right in that he's basically verbaled to the Knicks. But you never know - he certainly threw a curveball in 2016.

23 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Lakers > Clippers in LA..... always will be that way.  The Clippers could win the championship and most of the media would be talking about the Lakers' problems.  I don't see KD going to the Clippers to be a 2nd class citizen in organization and to Lebron, even if they have the better team.

kevin-durant-sports-illustrated-cover-ok

20 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

No I making the case that the Clippers team that is currently in the playoffs is going to be gutted in the next 2 years. Though I really like the potential Shamet and Gilgeous-Alexander. Potentially losing 5 guys from the playoff rotation is going to hurt the team, because once Kawhi signs, they aren't going to have money left to sign FAs to fill out the roster, and don't have the Bird rights for those guys anymore.

And not a single one of those 5 guys will likely ever sniff a future all-star game. Green, Chandler, and Temple combined to play a total of 65 games for the Clippers this season. They weren't exactly integral in their playoff berth. Green is the only player worth keeping at the right price. No one is going to swoop in and offer Zubac $15M per. If Beverley's intangibles are worth keeping around, they can probably make something work in the $10-12M range. But losing some/all of those guys wouldn't require a 2nd thought if it lands them a Top 7ish player.

Realistically though, they just need to waive Chandler and Temple, choose between Beverley or Green, still probably bring back Zubac, sign a max guy, and have a few million to spare. Then just re-sign Harrell and/or Gallinari if they so desire next year. I wouldn't call that gutting. They didn't trade Harris for essentially cap space without a plan in mind.

26 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You and I have different ideas of a team being "gutted".  They already gutted the team when they traded Griffin, let DJA go in free agency, and trading Tobias Harris.  Chandler, Green, and Temple's best attributes to the Clippers have always been their expiring contracts.  They're only on the team for their contract numbers.  

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Lakers > Clippers in LA..... always will be that way.  The Clippers could win the championship and most of the media would be talking about the Lakers' problems.  I don't see KD going to the Clippers to be a 2nd class citizen in organization and to Lebron, even if they have the better team.

kevin-durant-sports-illustrated-cover-ok

The Clips wont even be first in their own building.       As long as they share the Lakers arena they wont be taken seriously IMO.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

You and I have different ideas of a team being "gutted".  They already gutted the team when they traded Griffin, let DJA go in free agency, and trading Tobias Harris.  Chandler, Green, and Temple's best attributes to the Clippers have always been their expiring contracts.  They're only on the team for their contract numbers.  

You make a valid point. Though it appears they would be willing to waive everyone to create the maximum amount of cap space they could. So it means Green, Beverly, and Zubac as well.

Just now, Machinator said:

Sucks for him. The Pelicans were coming together last year before that injury, too. Now he's had 2 major injuries. He's going to have to do another one year prove it deal next season. Although I don't know if he played well enough this season or did enough for some team to give him the deal he was looking for.

Sucks for the guy. Not only missing his first ever playoffs, but, as d2o mentioned, who's going to pony up big money for him now? That "low-ball" offer that New Orleans threw at him after the Achilles injury must sound pretty good right about now.

Edited by aggie08

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Sucks for him. The Pelicans were coming together last year before that injury, too. Now he's had 2 major injuries. He's going to have to do another one year prove it deal next season. Although I don't know if he played well enough this season or did enough for some team to give him the deal he was looking for.

Maybe, but the Lakers may be so desperate when every other FA tells them to fuck off, they make a crazy offer to him. I agree that the big problem now is 2 straight devastating injuries to the same leg.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

russ shooting a 3 is basically a turnover. 

It's a comedy act.  If it's the playoffs, either Russ or "Playoff P" are fucking terrible, if not both of them.  OKC may have a chance against a shorthanded Portland but my call for them in the WCF seems toast.  And they're so fucking far into the luxury tax...for this.  LOL

I fucking love this for Dame. He's right up there with Duncan and Steph as a franchise cornerstone leader that you can build an entire culture and identity around (he's just not quite as good on the court). The sweep last year really tore him up. OKC may very well still win this series, but he's making damn sure to leave it all on the court.

Edited by aggie08