2019 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

clapclapclap

30 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Actually, it is going to miss the keys by 100s of miles. 

That and the bite is electric before a storm....  I'm not going.  Grilled Snapper, Lobster tail, a cooler full of ice cold  beer, and a hammock sound pretty fucking temping

If you have Instagram, follow @hurricanedorian242. it’s got some crazy videos.

also, if you have Snapchat. the pull down map feature is pretty clutch. Periscope comes in third IMO because it requires a constant connection to upload, but if you find a solid feed - share that shit.

this thing might put Maria, Harvey, Katrina, Andrew to shame.

6 hours ago, Iceman said:

Life is always predictable, no?

It's like the wife telling me there's no chance of showers because the TV said so.  yeah, well, looking out on the back porch, I see fucking rain.

Or her telling you that she thinks there's no chance of her ever having an orgasm, and then you look in the window when I'm over, and and see fucking orgasms.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Or her telling you that she thinks there's no chance of her ever having an orgasm, and then you look in the window when I'm over, and and see fucking orgasms.

Fantasy  Island is still alive and well, i see...

Sticking the baseball bat up your ass left quite the impression though.

Edited by Iceman

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Those chairs will make the difference.

I was on greater Exuma during a cat 3. We had a pool table against the door.  It held, but the seams in the cinder block walls leaked like crazy and then we had to move the pool table to the opposite door after the eye passed. While it was coming in we watched the surge shooting deck boards 20+ feet in the air. Can’t imaging being anywhere near a coast during a cat 5. 

• Like 1

Well all I got to do now is put the convertible mini in the garage. Got beer got water got generator got 20+ gal no ethanol gas got chainsaw an bar and gas oil. Got vienna sausages got rum got tequila got burbon got rye got propane and propane accessories. we are up near Wekiva Springs in a wooded area. Underground elec no nat gas. The last hurricane came through 2 years ago right before we bought this house, there was free firewood everywhere. House walls are cementerblock roof is tied to walls. Stay off shore Dorian. Go visit ol butterteef. Fuck you Oscar Wilde.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

They keep saying it will turn north but I have seen no movement north at all.

Yeah I've been skeptical of this supposed sharp right turn.  Cat 5 hurricanes aren't exactly the most nimble phenomena.

It should be noted that I'm not an actual physicist or meteorologist, but I did sit through the 1st half of Twister a few years ago when it was on TNT or TBS, so I consider myself an expert on weather.

Yeah I've been skeptical of this supposed sharp right turn.  Cat 5 hurricanes aren't exactly the most nimble phenomena.
It should be noted that I'm not an actual physicist or meteorologist, but I did sit through the 1st half of Twister a few years ago when it was on TNT or TBS, so I consider myself an expert on weather.
Fuck OU

14 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

But it has slowed its forward motion, which often precedes a turn.  That said, the center is currently about 130 miles east of W. Palm Beach moving at 5 mph, i.e. less than 24 hours from a devastating W. Palm Beach landfall of the eyewall if the turn is too delayed and it doesn't continue to slow down.  Luckily the highest winds don't extend very far out from the center, it is a small storm, so it can get relatively close without being highly destructive.  But if it goes through an eyewall replacement cycle that windfield may spread wider.  NHC seems quite confident that it will recurve in time.  We'll see.  

Edited by clapclapclap

32 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I’ve been on the weather channel most of the night. Basically they are saying there won’t be any steering systems until Tuesday morning. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

19 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I find it interesting that everyone seemed to have faith in the models during Harvey, and those models largely nailed the stall and retreat back to the Gulf.

I was in San Antonio and Harvey was heading straight towards S.A., but no one thought it would actually make it to the city because the models said it wouldn’t.

It feels as though there’s a lot less trust in the models this time.

11 minutes ago, Welch said:

I find it interesting that everyone seemed to have faith in the models during Harvey, and those models largely nailed the stall and retreat back to the Gulf.

I was in San Antonio and Harvey was heading straight towards S.A., but no one thought it would actually make it to the city because the models said it wouldn’t.

It feels as though there’s a lot less trust in the models this time.

Few if any houses in my coastal broward neighborhood have their shutters up...  I'm 300' from the intercostal... with a Cat 5 120miles east I'd say a shit load of people have faith in the model. (Helps that it's slow moving though)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Welch said:

The first models had Harvey staying way south and making landfall in Central America.  In fact, up to 72 hours before it even made landfall in Texas, almost no one was giving it much thought... it was supposed to be a weak storm that flamed out mildly somewhere around Belize/Costa Rica.

So those early models were, shall we say, a tad off.

As for the Bahamas, it's quite possible that this storm will permanently alter the shape of a few of those islands enough to force map updates.

Edited by phdhorn