2019 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

clapclapclap

Started mobilizing our Catastrophe team for the insurance companies to head to okochobee to set up. Should be flying out Sunday to Miami or Orlando and then heading there. Told my boss I'd go if only I can fly back to Austin for the LSU game. So lets see

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I'm headed to Tampa on Tuesday.  Same question.

Just watch the storm path.  The storm should be through by Tuesday unless the forecast slows down again.  If the place you're staying is 70+ miles from the path of the eye it will probably be business as usual.  (other than squally weather) Hotels will be booked up fast though.

Edited by Loco

12 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Started mobilizing our Catastrophe team for the insurance companies to head to okochobee to set up. Should be flying out Sunday to Miami or Orlando and then heading there. Told my boss I'd go if only I can fly back to Austin for the LSU game. So lets see

And he buys you the ticket. At Surly prices. 

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

Latest from the NHC.  Some models (HWRF) are calling for it to possibly be a Cat 5.

EDGOaMtXUAIrITz.png

hwrf-sat-IR-05-L-16.png

And the GFS "spaghetti" models are really worst case scenario for Florida.

05-L-gefs-18z.png

Yeah those bottom ones are nice right. You get greater Miami, all the keys, then fuck you New Orleans.

With this thing moving South, guess I’m going to fly down this weekend and make sure everything is buttoned up at the house and get back out before it cranks up. I was planning on going in two weeks and making sure everything was clear after renovations were complete, but it is what it is. Should be good on the West Coast, but we left things out that probably need to be put up and/or locked down.

Manservant was busy on holiday weekend. We’re moving at some point once renovations get finished on older house that needed updating. Timing sucks because contractor was long since supposed to be done, but everything moves slow.

21 minutes ago, Brew said:

With this thing moving South, guess I’m going to fly down this weekend and make sure everything is buttoned up at the house and get back out before it cranks up. I was planning on going in two weeks and making sure everything was clear after renovations were complete, but it is what it is. Should be good on the West Coast, but we left things out that probably need to be put up and/or locked down.

Brew - where are you on the west coast?

6 minutes ago, Dewey said:

They're saying strong winds should start Saturday evening, I dont know what that looks like for flying down there this weekend.  Flying in shouldn't be a problem,  flying out, dont know. Something to consider 

Had to be on Jax tonight for the game to meet some clients, so heading down after it and back out Saturday before it starts.

Models are struggling with this one.  Don't trust just one model or take some random self-styled expert's opinion.  

Edit: Post above me... yup

Good ones on Twitter for now:

@tropicaltidbits

@ericblake12

@andyhazelton

@mattlanza (more of a Houston and Texas focus which is good) - part of @spacecitywx

@philklotzbach

@ryanmaue

Edited by texasdago
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brew said:

If you're planning on coming down and boarding up windows or need any type of supplies, you should probably reconsider.  My experience is that you'll spend 8 hours in line and get 1 piece of plywood that late in the game.  You'll just be adding an extra person to an already stressed system.