2019 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

clapclapclap

Go fuck yourself. Seriously.
I still don’t have a home, 2 years after Harvey and a bunch of my friends lost literally everything they owned.

hey man. you seem like a sane man who lost everything.

if you engage with hooker, you’ll lose your sanity too. don’t do it. like everything else in life, it only takes a few people to ruin a good/any thing.

hooker will always be one of these people.
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Austin/San Antonio or basically anyone from San Antonio to Waco along I-35 is very vulenerable to tornados spawn off by a landfalling storm under the right circumstances which means they  basically barrel on west or west northwest bound  track and don't do what Harvey did which is hang around the coastal areas.    In fact, many of the storms that hit the coast in 50's, 60' and 70's caused havoc in that part of the state as well.   And of course landfalling storms have made it up to that part of the state and stalled  which caused some memorable flooding events.  More so than the rain received in the coastal areas from the same storm.

I was a kid  in 1980 when Hurricane Allen hit the coast and that storm was a monster.   The cloud shield basically filled up the entire Gulf of Mexico and it was a Cat 5 coming across the Yucatan Peninsula.  Evacuations were ordered from Galveston to  Brownsville because of the size of the storm which if we had to do that today with the growth in all the coastal areas and inland,  it would make the Rita and Ike evacuations look like chicken feed.   Fortunately it stalled out in the Gulf and weakened to a Cat 3 before landfall and the eye went over the King Ranch where only cows, deer, rattlesnakes,  and a few ranch hands lived and catastrophic damage was avoided in Corpus and the RGV.    We evacuated to Waco and stayed with some family and I do recall we had tornado warnings blaring out on TV as the storm made it's way inland.   

If Harvey had not slowed down once it hit inland, it possibly could have done some significant wind damage to the San Antonio area and in fact if I recall, some forecasters feared such a scenario and were even advising maybe not evacuating to San Antonio.   I look at some of the damage done inland around the Refugio area were the storm slowed down and stalled to see what could have been for at least some the San Antonio metro area.   Being almost 50 miles inland didn't do much to minimize the damage there and I hope it was a wake up call to some of think you just have to live a certain distance inland to avoid the catastrophic winds.   Not so by a long shot.  

Yeah, Allen was a monster.   We were at our place in Rockport when it was  barreling right at us.   My parents in their infinite wisdom evacuated us all the way to Sinton(lol).  Not sure why they thought that was safe...I remember the tv station goin off the air the night before and the news casters very solemnly saying a prayer for everyone...we dodged a big time bullet with that storm   Our place took a lot of damage but could have been much worse

Edited by Teddyballgame

Dude, what does Harvey a direct impact have to do with Dorian which won't hit the US? I'm sorry for your loss but direct your anger elsewhere. 
Hey dumbass, just because the eye doesn't come on shore DOES NOT mean that Dorian is not hitting the US.

We are getting rain bands in Central Florida right now. Rain bands ARE part of the storm.

We had one this morning and one north of us and then south of us. Supposed to get more later this evening.

Canaveral should get hurricane force winds.

Daytona Beach should get hurricane force winds.

Meanwhile Lisa Bell's lovely bazombas are on tv continually.

If they did use concrete in most construction there the walls of those buildings wouldnt even be standing.  Thats is like a bomb went off.
Wat?

That doesn't even make sense. Looks like they DID use concrete block in the walls which is why they are still standing.

You seem stupid.

Looks like a lot of structures still standing. Stick built stuff gets wiped out like after Andrew. Looks like Bahamas has building codes like Florida's. Concrete block houses, truss roof tied to foundation.

The Atlantis.
https://www.atlantisbahamas.com/weather-information
No damage and fully operational.  One nearby island completely destroyed and Paradise Island not damaged.  Just amazing.
Nothing amazing about it. Build things right and survive. Build crap and have it wiped out.

Gonna be interesting to see how stout Disney built Castaway Cay. Cast housing survived as did the hurricane shelter that the ride out crew stayed in. Castaway Cay is right to the west of Abaco.

It was a typo. The buildings standing did use concrete. Roofs may not be on but structure is standing. 
Yep. Gotta rebuild using concrete.

We getting a rainband right now. We 50 or so miles due west of Canaveral. About a mile east of Wekiwa Springs State Park. Rain not too heavy, no wind.

Wat?

That doesn't even make sense. Looks like they DID use concrete block in the walls which is why they are still standing.

You seem stupid.

Pretty obvious typo and he meant to say the walls WERE built with concrete, thus the reason they stood.

From what this thread has taught me, Florida is now safe since Phlegm’s moment of clarity has passed.

Hey dumbass, just because the eye doesn't come on shore DOES NOT mean that Dorian is not hitting the US.

We are getting rain bands in Central Florida right now. Rain bands ARE part of the storm.

We had one this morning and one north of us and then south of us. Supposed to get more later this evening.

Canaveral should get hurricane force winds.

Daytona Beach should get hurricane force winds.

Meanwhile Lisa Bell's lovely bazombas are on tv continually.

Pics of bazombas?
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Is that the surge during the storm, or is it what is left of the island after it passed?

Once the storm passes it'll be back to somewhat normal, but who knows how much land has been washed out to sea.  The spit of land my dad has a river house on the edge of the Chesapeake bay was created by a hurricane in 1933.

25 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Once the storm passes it'll be back to somewhat normal, but who knows how much land has been washed out to sea.  The spit of land my dad has a river house on the edge of the Chesapeake bay was created by a hurricane in 1933.

Yeah, it'll essentially look like before the hurricane hit, but there will undoubtedly be small inlets and coves that change shape. Maps will probably have some minor updates... 

This is bad... 😢  We kept our boat at the first island for over 20 years. Growing up there as a second home. It sounds like some local friends stayed behind and survived but are struggling right now. I wish I could somehow airlift them exactly what they need right now. Just horrible.

Edited by HOOKEM4

Looks like the eyewall is being rebuilt (replaced) after it kind of got lost yesterday.  Expect the storm to get a little stronger and as has been reported, a little larger.  I think the Carolina coasts are going to get a pretty good shot of wind (hurricane force) and rain (up to 10 inches) for about 5-6 hours at a point.  Lots of coastal flooding, moderate damage... but the storm will stay on the edge of the coast, at least up through Cape Fear.  Dorian is right above the Gulf Stream, which pump warm waters from the tropics, so it shouldn't have a problem sustaining itself into a 2 or even 3.  Friction with the land will probably keep it from going Rogue 5 again, but not much comfort.

I think lots of damage up to 20 miles inland in N.-S. Carolina, could even cause problems for Va Beach (most populated spot on its projected path) on Thursday.  Then out to sea.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

You idiot, those are quite clearly Florida chime frogs.

The only way to tell if they are Florida chime frogs or Cuban tree frogs is to lay a couple of claves on the floor. Cuban tree frogs can't resist making a Rumba beat with claves. They'll hop right down and that's when you know.

Edited by Eastwood
  • Like 2