New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

Headed to NOLA tomorrow for a long weekend.  Staying in the Garden District and will be avoiding the Quarter except for Easter Brunch at Arnaud's.  Looking for causal places to sit down, chill, and listen to live music.  Any recommendations for places off of St. Charles, Magazine, or other places?

• Hook 'Em 1

Headed to NOLA tomorrow for a long weekend.  Staying in the Garden District and will be avoiding the Quarter except for Easter Brunch at Arnaud's.  Looking for causal places to sit down, chill, and listen to live music.  Any recommendations for places off of St. Charles, Magazine, or other places?

Frenchman St?
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, hornian said:

Checking in from Parkway Tavern with the family. No pics because we were all starving after driving in. 

JazzFest tomorrow. 

Going in three weeks on a 24 hour jaunt to NOLA.  Toup's Meatery on the menu as well.  Never been to either.

IMG_1196.thumb.jpeg.57cc3b66342cb5e393496d0eae754ecf.jpeg

Not sure if the video will load from here, so also posting an action pic of the Crawfish Bread. Not sure if you can get this anywhere but the festival (I’ve never found it outside the race track at JazzFest). 

Edited by hornian
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, hornian said:

IMG_1196.thumb.jpeg.57cc3b66342cb5e393496d0eae754ecf.jpeg

Not sure if the video will load from here, so also posting an action pic of the Crawfish Bread. Not sure if you can get this anywhere but the festival (I’ve never found it outside the race track at JazzFest). 

They’re back! They left the fest after 35 years last year because of the cashless system. Glad they returned, grew up with that stuff. 

2 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

They’re back! They left the fest after 35 years last year because of the cashless system. Glad they returned, grew up with that stuff. 

I remember wondering where they were last year 

Tried to get by there a few weeks ago but my drunk ass mismanaged time.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Tried to get by there a few weeks ago but my drunk ass mismanaged time.

Well it’s not open yet, so you really must have mismanaged time if you went by sober and it was. You got so drunk you went back in time. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Heading to Parkway for the first time later today. And then maybe Toup’s for dinner.  

Get the James Brown since it is your first time. 

But don't sleep on the Hot Sausage PoorBoy or the Streetcar PoorBoy (which is just fries/gravy/debris) if you have multiple people to order with and share. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, hornian said:

Get the James Brown since it is your first time. 

But don't sleep on the Hot Sausage PoorBoy or the Streetcar PoorBoy (which is just fries/gravy/debris) if you have multiple people to order with and share. 

Just went fried shrimp, as we are on a multi-month tour to find the best in Nola. BUT will be back and get the James brown for sure. 

Parkway was very good, but couldn’t top Guy’s for us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just went fried shrimp, as we are on a multi-month tour to find the best in Nola. BUT will be back and get the James brown for sure. 

Parkway was very good, but couldn’t top Guy’s for us. 

You know ow your stomach will stretch. You should have gotten both.

Posted (edited)

Just got back from a long weekend in NO. Stayed on south end of Garden District so spent much of our time in this part of town (besides obligatory French Quarter and City Park).

A few recs:

- Had dinner at Mister Mao, a newish arrival to the scene here, and worth a visit - they got a James Beard nomination and the mix of dishes (sort of pan-Asian) is really interesting and different. Great cocktails, too.

- Brunch at French Toast on Decatur in the Quarter. Small and crowded, but good. I had one of the savory crepes with egg on top and potatoes, and it was pretty much perfect.

- Saw the New Orleans Nightcrawlers (Grammy-winning brass band) at Snug Harbor, which was fantastic. Try to see a show at Snug if you can - they’ve got live music almost every night of the week.

- Best dive bar we visited was 45 Tchoup, on Tchoupitoulas near Napoleon. Great bartenders and cheap prices - and they’re known as a baseball bar so that adds to the vibe. And my new beer discovery from there was Canebrake from Parish Brewing - good stuff.

My wife and I both agree if we lived here we’d be fat and drink too much. Not that that’s all bad.

Edited by sasquatch69
  • Hook 'Em 5

7 hours ago, sasquatch69 said:

- Best dive bar we visited was 45 Tchoup, on Tchoupitoulas near Napoleon. Great bartenders and cheap prices - and they’re known as a baseball bar so that adds to the vibe. And my new beer discovery from there was Canebrake from Parish Brewing - good stuff.

Not sure who was working while you were there, but the owners Debbie and Frankie are great folks.

49 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Not sure who was working while you were there, but the owners Debbie and Frankie are great folks.

Jesse was the bartender we talked to a lot - good guy. He said he’d only been there a couple years and several others have been there a lot longer.

BBQ shrimp for Mr B’s Bistro last night.

IMG_1748.thumb.jpeg.7b0d6dae6eb49b406ca637a828a02476.jpeg

That right there is the best dish in New Orleans. I use their recipe from the cookbook. Though I’ll never get using whole shrimp; it’s a fucking pain to eat having to peel them with all that sauce on them. I peel them and put the shells in the pan for the sauce then strain the sauce.
  • Hook 'Em 1

That right there is the best dish in New Orleans. I use their recipe from the cookbook. Though I’ll never get using whole shrimp; it’s a fucking pain to eat having to peel them with all that sauce on them. I peel them and put the shells in the pan for the sauce then strain the sauce.

Unexpectedly there’s a new contender for worst post on the thread.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

this recipe?

http://www.mrbsbistro.com/recipes_shrimp.php

damn, i need to make this.

Spoiler

New Orleans Barbequed Shrimp

Don’t break out your grill for this dish. Here in New Orleans, barbecued shrimp means sautéed shrimp in Worcestershire-spiked butter sauce. We serve these shrimp with heads and tails on, so you need to dig in to enjoy. I highly recommend a bib.

We are famous for our barbecued shrimp, and with reason. The biggest trick to making this taste like ours is to not hold back on the butter. The three sticks called for are enough to scare you into cholesterol shock, but are key to the flavor and consistency of the sauce. Another tip to keep in mind: to emulsify the sauce, be sure to add a little butter at a time while stirring rapidly. And don’t overcook the shrimp or they’ll become tough and hard to peel.

• 16 jumbo shrimp (12 per pound, about 1 1/2 pounds), with heads and unpeeled
  • 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
  • French bread as accompaniment

In a large skillet combine shrimp, Worcestershire, lemon juice, black peppers, Creole seasoning, and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until shrimp turn pink, about 1 minute on each side. Reduce heat to moderate and stir in butter, a few cubes at a time, stirring constantly and adding more only when butter is melted. Remove skillet from heat. Place shrimp in a bowl and pour sauce over top. Serve with French bread for dipping.

Yield: 4 appetizers or 2 entrees

13 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It's not the same without New Orleans french bread.  BBQ shrimp and chargrilled oysters are the 2 things that never seem to turn out close to the original.

I've made BBQ shrimp a few times.  

It never turns out totally right.

this recipe?
http://www.mrbsbistro.com/recipes_shrimp.php
damn, i need to make this.

Spoiler

New Orleans Barbequed Shrimp

Don’t break out your grill for this dish. Here in New Orleans, barbecued shrimp means sautéed shrimp in Worcestershire-spiked butter sauce. We serve these shrimp with heads and tails on, so you need to dig in to enjoy. I highly recommend a bib.
We are famous for our barbecued shrimp, and with reason. The biggest trick to making this taste like ours is to not hold back on the butter. The three sticks called for are enough to scare you into cholesterol shock, but are key to the flavor and consistency of the sauce. Another tip to keep in mind: to emulsify the sauce, be sure to add a little butter at a time while stirring rapidly. And don’t overcook the shrimp or they’ll become tough and hard to peel.

• 16 jumbo shrimp (12 per pound, about 1 1/2 pounds), with heads and unpeeled
  • 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
  • French bread as accompaniment

In a large skillet combine shrimp, Worcestershire, lemon juice, black peppers, Creole seasoning, and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until shrimp turn pink, about 1 minute on each side. Reduce heat to moderate and stir in butter, a few cubes at a time, stirring constantly and adding more only when butter is melted. Remove skillet from heat. Place shrimp in a bowl and pour sauce over top. Serve with French bread for dipping.
Yield: 4 appetizers or 2 entrees

The heads from the shrimp add a ton of flavor to the sauce.  You will never be able to get anywhere close to recreating it without them.

That’s the one. Emerils recipe from Delmonico’s is very good too. It’s all about the sauce. The shrimp is superfluous. The sauce would make an old boot delectable.

If you are blessed to live close to the gulf and immediate sources of fresh head on shrimp then good for you. I have spent much of my life in areas that think fucking Asian sewer farmed tiger shrimp is high eating. So while I agree the shrimp fat from the heads is a great ingredient, I don’t buy head on shrimp if I’m a day away from the boats. I also want the shrimp cleaned and peeled in the bowl. So for this dish, I don’t want to have slippery buttery sauce covered shell on shrimp at the table needing me to peel and clean at the table. So I make it a bit different. I put the shells in the sauce (and heads if I had absolute fresh shrimp) for flavor and then strain it before serving. I think it gets more flavor from them shells than cooking whole. Obviously some don’t agree, make it how you want it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

We went to Pascal’s Manale with friends on our last trip and someone let me try the BBQ Shrimp, and I had the same thought - so much work to eat. It was good, but not THAT good.