Art Briles: New Head Coach of Mount Vernon High School in Texas

Landomatic

Briles brings BU-heavy staff to small-town Texas for coaching comeback

Former Baylor football players Patrick Colbert (left) and Lynx Hawthorne (right) follow their old coach Art Briles (center) from Italy to Mount Vernon, Tex. to coach high school football.

Mount Vernon High School / Staff Directory

Briles and Colbert show up in that directory. Hawthorne does not. He is not employed by the district. He's got to be the one in question, I don't think it's ever been fully stated.

2 hours ago, relapse98 said:

Interesting. I'm looking at her Facebook friends and I only see 1 that appears to be in Texas. She's from Wisconsin originally. Must be some distant relatives.
And her mother in law lives in Portland, Oregon. Wonder who these relatives are that made them move 1000 miles, must be important!

No Kamraths or Nellors on the Franklin County property roll.  So Lynx, who's married to Nellor's brother-in-law's daughter appears to be the "distant relative."  Megan is living in Houston while Lynx coaches in MV.  

I got to ask, when did the lady with the two sons find the job in MV and when did Art get hired? Because if it happened in one order then there's nothing to see here probably. But it would be really nuts if the family moved first and Hawthorne, because of his connections to the family, was able to convince the school and Art to commence discussions of hiring the football coach.

45 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Megan and I had the great honor of writing the foreword for Lane Alpert’s latest book, “Bear Trap”. It was an extremely tough task to say the least. When Lane reached out to me about writing this foreword, I began writing a piece that was full of hurt. After three years of watching people chime in about a place they didnt know and a man they’ve never met, I felt the burden to speak on behalf of those that have sat silent while the world has beaten, berated, and belittled our school, team, and coach. Thank God for Megan who shined a light and helped redirect me to instead use this platform to speak life into a situation that had already experienced plenty of hurt. This foreword is simply meant to show my experience and perception as one of the many football players who endured the same trials and tribulations of that season. And despite the trials, I now have been able to look back and see God’s hands in all of it. Megan and I are proud to be apart of this book and highly encourage anyone to give “Bear Trap” a read. #CAB #truthdontlie

27 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I got to ask, when did the lady with the two sons find the job in MV and when did Art get hired? Because if it happened in one order then there's nothing to see here probably. But it would be really nuts if the family moved first and Hawthorne, because of his connections to the family, was able to convince the school and Art to commence discussions of hiring the football coach.

it looks like they have a 5200 sq. ft. house in Colorado that they listed for sale 09/12/2019. I wonder when the inquiries started.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, po elvis said:

it looks like they have a 5200 sq. ft. house in Colorado that they listed for sale 09/12/2019. I wonder when the inquiries started.

Yeah, they didn't have any connections to MV prior to Art/Lynx arriving. I'm pretty sure of that. Well, other than her company having an outlet there. Which she'd probably never even heard of.

I'm serious when I say that someone should collect all the data and send it off to one of the many reporters out there who are still happier than hell to write negative Art Briles articles. Deadspin, whoever, it doesn't matter. Pointing out the obvious ahead of a ruling on the UIL kids alone could make a difference. Those kids confirmed as ineligible, and wins vacated in his first season is a hilarious and yet another act of cheating that can't be glossed over whatsoever. 

5 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

You sure about that? Just feels to me like he went to Angelo State.

You may be right. I just remember him going on and on about Slocum and blue Bell. 

Edit. Well shit.  Wrong guy. Delete user and a thousand pardons 

Edited by Fuck Tim Beck
Im drunk at work

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm serious when I say that someone should collect all the data and send it off to one of the many reporters out there who are still happier than hell to write negative Art Briles articles. Deadspin, whoever, it doesn't matter. Pointing out the obvious ahead of a ruling on the UIL kids alone could make a difference. Those kids confirmed as ineligible, and wins vacated in his first season is a hilarious and yet another act of cheating that can't be glossed over whatsoever. 

https://deadspin.com/art-briles-already-in-trouble-in-first-season-as-head-c-1838894860

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I remember sitting in the Liberty Grill in Norfolk, VA circa 1987 listening to a group of 4 or 5 shipyard workers talk about this, that and the other thing. They saw me sitting alone and came over and pulled me into their rambling discussions. The ringleader, Dewey was his name, spoke in simple words about many things but he said one thing that has stuck with me throughout the years, I think it was during a discussion on health care, and that was "Someone needs to do something!". Simple yet profound.

Welcome aboard, Dewey! :) 

2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I remember sitting in the Liberty Grill in Norfolk, VA circa 1987 listening to a group of 4 or 5 shipyard workers talk about this, that and the other thing. They saw me sitting alone and came over and pulled me into their rambling discussions. The ringleader, Dewey was his name, spoke in simple words about many things but he said one thing that has stuck with me throughout the years, I think it was during a discussion on health care, and that was "Someone needs to do something!". Simple yet profound.

Welcome aboard, Dewey! :) 

Ah, another delightful post by you, as always. If I had the time to do this shit, I would, without pointing it out to others. But I'm in the middle of a fire drill at work and I'm spending my spare 10 minutes here and there on surly, for my sanity. I'm not going to compile work and send if off to various journalists right now because I dont have the time. But I've executed more than my fair share of trolls and campaigns in the name of this board in the past, more than I've seen your name attached to, so you can go ahead and fuck right off. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ah, another delightful post by you, as always. If I had the time to do this shit, I would, without pointing it out to others. But I'm in the middle of a fire drill at work and I'm spending my spare 10 minutes here and there on surly, for my sanity. I'm not going to compile work and send if off to various journalists right now because I dont have the time. But I've executed more than my fair share of trolls and campaigns in the name of this board in the past, more than I've seen your name attached to, so you can go ahead and fuck right off. 

Brevity. Whether by necessity or choice, Dewey had it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

What if I told you, no one really cared about that other than posters here and coaches of teams on the schedule?

Yes. I’m sure that multiple news/sports outlets already wrote 3 articles, in this day and age where nothing matters but clicks and views, because no one outside of this board and a handful of coaches are clicking and viewing it. Including several national outlets. Because there’s not a lot of interest. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

https://www.wfaa.com/video/sports/why-two-star-players-at-art-briles-mount-vernon-were-ruled-ineligible

"The participation form listed an address... But that was not where the brothers were living.  They were living in an RV park with a relative named Lynx Hawthorne."

HAHAHAHA!!!

Glad you caught it, the link has 404’d already. 

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

This is a nice touch by briles:

It's worth noting: Art Briles did not show up to either hearing. His name is not on any paperwork. He never showed up to answer questions. He has, by all accounts, distanced himself from this whole thing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is a nice touch by briles:

It's worth noting: Art Briles did not show up to either hearing. His name is not on any paperwork. He never showed up to answer questions. He has, by all accounts, distanced himself from this whole thing.

He clearly learned a lesson from Baylor.  

They can't fire him for this:

The brothers were ruled eligible at their first hearing because their parents and the Mount Vernon superintendent told the DEC that Hawthorne would not be coaching. 

Because he didn't know because he wasn't there. 

Edited by Beau Vine

https://www.wfaa.com/video/sports/why-two-star-players-at-art-briles-mount-vernon-were-ruled-ineligible
"The participation form listed an address... But that was not where the brothers were living.  They were living in an RV park with a relative named Lynx Hawthorne."
HAHAHAHA!!!

That was what I was told too. Thought it was pretty laughable.

The fear of game forfeitures has passed, and Art Briles’ legacy seems to be more or less in tact. If the controversial coach doesn’t seem nervous, it’s because he’s been through all of this before.

The above headline appeared in the Dallas Morning News the day after C.E. Carmichael's allegations were made public. The above headline appeared in the Dallas Morning News the day after C.E. Carmichael's allegations were made public.(The Dallas Morning News)

The year was 1994 and Art Briles was coaching at Stephenville High School. His team was entering a new season after clinching a Class 4A state championship the previous year. Pre-season polls by The Dallas Morning News and the Associated Press had the team ranked at No. 2.

But a letter from an ex-employee threatened to take it all away.

ADVERTISING

The letter was sent to the University Interscholastic League by an attorney representing C.E. Carmichael, a former Stephenville girls basketball with a career record of 129-33 in his 5 years with the team. Carmichael alleged 10 violations of UIL rules by Briles and his program, including steroid abuse, pressuring teachers to change grades, and a charge that the Stephenville booster club had purchased a truck for Briles. If one or more of the allegations proved true, Stephenville could be stripped of its 1993 state title.

A total of 10 UIL violations were charged in Carmichael's letter. A total of 10 UIL violations were charged in Carmichael's letter.(The Dallas Morning News)

Briles himself remained tight-lipped about the letter and any pending investigations. “The school board has elected the superintendent as our spokesman,” Briles said when approached by The News for a comment on August 21, 1994. “I can’t really say anything else. But I’m looking forward to when I can comment.”

The above headline appeared in The News on August 24, 1994. The above headline appeared in The News on August 24, 1994.(The Dallas Morning News)

In the days after the letter was made public, Stephenville Independent School District superintendent Ben Gilbert rebuffed the charges in an eight-page letter to the UIL. At the time, University Interscholastic League athletic director Bill Farney seemed reluctant to launch an investigation into the charges. “We believe in the integrity of our school superintendents,” Farney told The News on August 24, 1994. “We have reviewed their responses and, unless additional evidence is submitted as soon as possible, we will not pursue it any further.”

Stephenville officials, however, seemed less confident of the program’s integrity, and asked the District 6-4A executive committee — comprised of representatives from Brownwood, Cleburne, Granbury, Joshua, Mineral Wells and Stephenville — to hold a meeting to address the allegations. Carmichael’s lawyer, Wayne Weaver, expressed his own skepticism about the committee’s intentions, as well as the decision to hold the meeting in Stephenville’s Administration Building. “I’m not sure the District 6-4A committee is really seeking the truth," he told The News the day before the meeting. “And I don’t think they’re going to get the truth in Stephenville.”

Ultimately, Briles and his program received two reprimands in private. Ultimately, Briles and his program received two reprimands in private.(The Dallas Morning News)

The meeting — presided over by Joshua superintendent Glenn Acker — lasted more than eight hours. In the end, Briles and his program received two private reprimands based on Carmichael’s allegations. Per UIL constitutions and contest rules, those reprimands were never made public. A disposition of findings stated that the committee was unable to substantiate the charges of steroid use. Committee members did not comment on the other allegations.

Perhaps worse than a reprimand, “the length of the meeting kept football coach Art Briles from attending practice.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/from-the-archives/2019/10/09/uil-violations-reprimands-and-a-free-pick-up-art-briles-has-seen-all-this-before/

Poor art is just a victim in all these controversies that keep happening to him. It's a good thing he is such a fine upstanding

Christian example and has never done anything illegal ever. Much less ever sinned! 

It's too bad those 2 vapid cunts at KWTX will ever do anything but lick art's crusty ball sack. 

Edited by Fuck Tim Beck
  • Like 1