2019 NBA FInals - Warriors vs. Raptors

NowThis

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Totally misleading tweet. Yeah there were 7 different winners - but only TEN franchises made the Finals. 

Without looking, I would be willing to bet that having a 3rd of the league make the finals in a decade is pretty close to the highest ever.

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

Without looking, I would be willing to bet that having a 3rd of the league make the finals in a decade is pretty close to the highest ever.

80s were a joke when it came to parity, but despite all of MJ's titles 11 teams made the Finals in the 90s - and that was probably 40% of the league as it was still undergoing expansion. 

In the 2000s 11 teams made the Finals. 

So my point basically stands, there were more unique champions but less variety in matchups. 

• Like 1

Misleading stat and not quoting everyone that responded....2010 was lakers at the end of their kobe runs

Then you have miami in 4 straight finals losing to mavs and spurs once

Then directly after that you have cleveland vs warriors 4 straight times

Then warriors vs raptors this year

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Didn’t he win the finals MVP?

Yes, he did. He was still a role player at that point, but had a good series. 

Danny Green would have won the finals MVP the year before if the Spurs beat the Heat like they should have. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

80s were a joke when it came to parity, but despite all of MJ's titles 11 teams made the Finals in the 90s - and that was probably 40% of the league as it was still undergoing expansion. 

So my point basically stands, there were more unique champions but less variety in matchups. 

so one more team in the finals is a big difference?   Especially when it results in more unique champs?   Again the crying about competitive balance is way overdone.

3 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Misleading stat and not quoting everyone that responded....2010 was lakers at the end of their kobe runs

Then you have miami in 4 straight finals losing to mavs and spurs once

Then directly after that you have cleveland vs warriors 4 straight times

Then warriors vs raptors this year

Its not misleading at all.

Danny Green would have won the finals MVP the year before if the Spurs beat the Heat like they should have. 
No he wasnt...he was the best player on the team and played same minutes as parker/duncan for the season

Just now, Bone3421 said:
6 minutes ago, housious said:

No he wasnt...he was the best player on the team and played same minutes as parker/duncan for the season

I disagree. Kawhi didn't have the ability to penetrate and create a shot for himself at that point. He was a great rebounder, defender, and was a spot up three-point shooter at that point. 

Over the next two years he developed the ability to create his own shot. It wasn't always there. 

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

so one more team in the finals is a big difference?   Especially when it results in more unique champs?   Again the crying about competitive balance is way overdone.

Especially since at least one-third of the league has ranged from largely poorly run to dumpster fire for the entire decade. There's only a handful of consistently well-run franchises that you can argue were deprived their opportunity because of "superteams" and competitive imbalance: Houston, Portland, Indiana, maybe Memphis and Utah?

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Especially since at least one-third of the league has ranged from largely poorly run to dumpster fire for the entire decade. There's only a handful of consistently well-run franchises that you can argue were deprived their opportunity because of "superteams" and competitive imbalance: Houston, Portland, Indiana, maybe Memphis and Utah?

YES!!

4 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
10 minutes ago, d2o said:
Its not misleading at all.

Yeah because having 3 teams in the finals for all but 1 year of a decade isnt proof of the super teams....maybe not the stat like you say but the intent of the stat if thats fair

so then you have an issue with the entire history of the league then, right?   Superteams are not new.

Edited by d2o

I disagree. Kawhi didn't have the ability to penetrate and create a shot for himself at that point. He was a great rebounder, defender, and was a spot up three-point shooter at that point. 
Over the next two years he developed the ability to create his own shot. It wasn't always there. 
Ah yes the spot up 3pt shooter with less than 3 attempts a game....and on a team that didnt have one player avg over 17ppg

Maybe your best defender on a defensive squad is the best player? He won mvp in finals and everyone says he was a bit guy that year while starting 65 games and playing 30 mins a game

Just now, Bone3421 said:

Ah yes the spot up 3pt shooter with less than 3 attempts a game....and on a team that didnt have one player avg over 17ppg

Maybe your best defender on a defensive squad is the best player? He won mvp in finals and everyone says he was a bit guy that year while starting 65 games and playing 30 mins a game

Will you just let me be salty in peace? What's your deal, friend? 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

so then you have an issue with the entire history of the league then, right?   Superteams are not new.
No i dont and i dont care about these super teams ....just think that stat doesnt prove what its trying to say about how this decade will be remembered about superteam era

3 teams covered every year outside of 2010 and we had the same match up for 4 straight years

That was an unbelievable basketball game last night. Just an incredible, gutsy, heart wrenching performance by the W's. I gained infinitely more respect for them over the past two weeks in losing than I ever did when they were blowing through the league. ACL recovery isn't a career death sentence like it used to be. Thompson will be back probably before the all-star break.  He's only 28. I don't for one second believe that the Warriors are "done" or that their championship window has closed, regardless of what happens with Durant.

With regard to the Raptors, congrats to their devoted fans that have been amazingly loyal despite going through just an epic amount of shit as a franchise. Vince Carter quit on them. Alonzo Mourning just flat out refused to play for them. Tracy McGrady walked out the door right as he was on the verge of stardom. They got to watch Chris Bosh bail on them and win rings in Miami. Then they went through one playoff collapse after another. Their fanbase deserved this. If Kawhi kicks them in the teeth in free agency, it's going to sting but it will still have been worth it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Again the crying about competitive balance is way overdone.

The point is that there has never been deep parity in the NBA. Acting like that somehow changed in the 2010s when only 10 teams made the Finals is a joke. Especially when we had the same damn matchup for 4 straight years and another matchup 2 years in a row. Between 2011 and 2018 only TWO different teams in the East made the Finals. 

Go compare it to teams in the Superbowl, World Series or Stanley Cup Final if you want to understand the point I'm making. I don't even have to check because I know that there have been more than 10 teams make the "Finals" in all 3 of those sports between 2010 and 2019. (actually maybe not hockey but as a percentage it would be higher than a third of the league)

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

Just now, aggie08 said:

The point wasn't whether or not you might end up being right. It's the incessant need to play armchair MD the second someone goes down that amazes me.

It's like he called 34 black and hit and thinks he's a genius. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

It's like he called 34 black and hit and thinks he's a genius. 

It's more like he flipped a coin and wants to brag about calling it. It was either serious (ligament tear) or not quite as series (hyperextension or MCL sprain). That's pretty much it.

1 hour ago, housious said:

He averaged 30 minutes a game in the regular season and 32 minutes a game in the postseason. He averaged 15 points a game. He was third on the team in minutes and third in points. Let’s stop pretending that he wasn’t a vital part of that team. 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The point is that there has never been deep parity in the NBA. Acting like that somehow changed in the 2010s when only 10 teams made the Finals is a joke. Especially when we had the same damn matchup for 4 straight years and another matchup 2 years in a row. Between 2011 and 2018 only TWO different teams in the East made the Finals. 

Go compare it to teams in the Superbowl, World Series or Stanley Cup Final if you want to understand the point I'm making. I don't even have to check because I know that there have been more than 10 teams make the "Finals" in all 3 of those sports between 2010 and 2019. (actually maybe not hockey but as a percentage it would be higher than a third of the league)

No one said it changed, but the lament people had with superteams is that it made the league less competitve.   That stat shows that isnt the case.   it's the same as it always has been.   If only 10 made it to the finals and the is the 2nd most in a decade in league history, it is what it is.   I'm not sure what you want or expect.

Basketball has always been different than baseball or football so the comparison isnt really valid.   There are only 5 guys on the court at once and one great player can make a huge difference in the fortune of their team.      The parity that some many seem to seek is never gonna happen in basketball.   Especially if the fans that want that also want to see superstars stay put.    Unless you want guys moving teams every yr, the team that has the best players will continue to make the finals more than those that dont.

Edited by d2o

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

No one said it changed, but the lament people had with superteams is that it made the league less competitve.   That stat shows that isnt the case.   it's the same as it always has been.   If only 10 made it to the finals and the is the 2nd most in a decade in league history, it is what it is.   I'm not sure what you want or expect.

Basketball has always been different than baseball or football so the comparison isnt really valid.   There are only 5 guys on the court at once and one great player can make a huge difference in the fortune of their team.      The parity that some many seem to seek is never gonna happen in basketball.   Especially if the fans that want that also want to see superstars stay put.    Unless you want guys moving teams every yr, the team that has the best players will continue to make the finals more than those that dont.

I agree with all of that. 

43 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

that was perhaps the greatest Finals series in history, I think 

aren't they all?

Better than last year's, but one of the least interesting (at least on the court) and weird that I can remember. Injuries aside, only Games 5 and 6 felt like they were played with Finals' intensity.

33 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Cap hell incoming for the Warriors:

They’ll be fine. They’re already rolling in cash and that will only increase when the new stadium opens. Plus, their franchise valuation has probably changed more than any team’s in the last 8 years.

not to mention, KD ain’t gonna accept.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

A 1 team difference doesn’t make your point...at all.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

They’ll be fine. They’re already rolling in cash and that will only increase when the new stadium opens. Plus, their franchise valuation has probably changed more than any team’s in the last 8 years.

not to mention, KD ain’t gonna accept.

A 1 team difference doesn’t make your point...at all.

Yeah it kind of does. My point being "there were a bunch of unique champions" is misleading when we saw basically the same (and technically less, especially if you consider there were less teams in the 90s) actually make and get to play in the Finals. 

You don't watch just one team play on TV. 

Oh and KD is accepting that max deal. 

Edited by ztejas

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Oh and KD is accepting that max deal. 

This is the only time all season that I've felt like there's a decent chance that he stays.  But, for the first time since he signed, he probably feels like part of a family rather than 'KD' and 'The Warriors' being separate entities.  And the fan and media perception finally realized the obvious: without KD, they're just another one of the handful of serious contenders in a given year; with him, they're one of the greatest teams ever.  Obviously sucks dick that he had to rupture his fucking Achilles to get there.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

This is the only time all season that I've felt like there's a decent chance that he stays.  But, for the first time since he signed, he probably feels like part of a family rather than 'KD' and 'The Warriors' being separate entities.  And the fan and media perception finally realized the obvious: without KD, they're just another one of the handful of serious contenders in a given year; with him, they're one of the greatest teams ever.  Obviously sucks dick that he had to rupture his fucking Achilles to get there.

His Achilles injury is going to be the Jordan rides the bus of this Warriors dynasty. They aren't getting younger but their big 4 is all on the right side of their 30s. 

Klay's 2 injuries were due to his own stupidity/negligence and cost the Ws a title

1. the hamstring where he goofily spread his legs trying to get a foul call. 

2. the missed dunk where he looked back at the rim instead of focusing on the landing, the floor surprised him and he wasn't able to brace his fall. He's not adept at dunking in real action, so doesn't know to position his landing. 

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Klay's 2 injuries were due to his own stupidity/negligence and cost the Ws a title

1. the hamstring where he goofily spread his legs trying to get a foul call. 

2. the missed dunk where he looked back at the rim instead of focusing on the landing, the floor surprised him and he wasn't able to brace his fall. He's not adept at dunking in real action, so doesn't know to position his landing. 

Please just stop.

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Rofl rofl, why would someone be so butthurt over an absolutely true statement?

why would a person who had his life ruined by gaining 120 lbs in six months on a prescription drug as a child be upset at having his weight attacked out of nowhere? gee, i don't fucking know, why don't you go find your closest friend who had a parent die when they were a child and go talk shit to him about what a motherless faggot he is. 

fuck you, fuck 5280, and fuck anybody who stands by or condones that shit.

@blacklab

are we setting the precedent that type of completely personal and unwarranted shit talk is cool? because everyone throws a huge fit whenever i respond to shit like that,  it nobody seems to have a problem with the asshole who attacked me out of nowhere. my weight gain was a traumatic experience for me and i still have a ton of real life health problems because of it. this is not fucking funny. this is not okay. and this site should not stand for that shit. it is not a joke. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Rofl rofl, why would someone be so butthurt over an absolutely true statement?

go ahead and tell me the worst thing that's ever happened to you. truly, the worst thing that's ever happened to you. then have someone bring it up and talk shit to you about it out of nowhere. if you have a fucking pulse it will elicit a reaction. 

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

The point wasn't whether or not you might end up being right. It's the incessant need to play armchair MD the second someone goes down that amazes me.

It's hilarious that you got so offended from someone speculating on a sports board about an injury that happens in basketball all the time. When a knee bends like Klay's did last night, ligaments are almost 100% torn. Did my speculation somehow distract you that much from the game being played?