Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, RPM said:

So to sum this up...

Warren: I was told I have Native American ancestors.

Trump: Bullshit! I want to see a DNA test, Pocahontas!

Warren: (shows DNA test results)

Trump: Bullshit! Not enough percentage, just ask my Indians!

tl/dr? Trumpkins got served.

Yer not very good at the reading comprehension and the maths stuff I see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RPM said:

So to sum this up...

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The crazy thing about the internet is people are horrible to one another, because of different beliefs and views, in a way you only see in real life at like abortion/anti-abortion rallies/clashes and Charlottesville. In real life you respectfully listen to your Longhorn friends (or at least pretent to) at the very minimum and rarely if ever does it devolve into "you're an idiot", "you're a nazi", "you want people to kill babies", "you aren't a real girl, dude" or whatever other nastiness this board contains.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

So to sum this up...

to sum it up....she's as much a native American as a poodle is a wolf....but the best part is she claims vindication

Elizabeth-Warren-Morning-White-Dove-Gett

"first woman of color" at the Harvard Law School.

LMAO.  What a fucking dumbass

1997 Fordham Law Review piece described her as Harvard Law School's "first woman of color," based, according to the notes at the bottom of the story, on a "telephone interview with Michael Chmura, News Director, Harvard Law (Aug. 6, 1996)."

The mention was in the middle of a lengthy and heavily-annotated Fordham piece on diversity and affirmative action and women. The title of the piece, by Laura Padilla, was "Intersectionality and positionality: Situating women of color in the affirmative action dialogue."

https://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/05/fordham-piece-called-warren-harvard-laws-first-woman-of-color-123526

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

100% agree with Obama's campaign manager here - as I said in another thread, the Democrats are doing their best to miss a chip shot game winning FG.

This is such a bullshit talking point.  Why are democrats allowing themselves to be distracted?  It’s like blaming the Russians for Hillary losing. FFS take some personal responsibility democrats and quit bitching about Elizabeth Warren. 

For the record, lots of democrats are scared of Warren for the same reasons as Republicans.  She will hold them accountable and fuck up their revenue streams too.  The knives are out for her on the left from the usual establishment blowhards in the media.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You saying they wanna scalp her ?

They want her and Bernie to go away because they could take over the Democratic Party and reshape it in their image (Like Trump did with the GOP but in a good way). Which, in my opinion, is long overdue but hopefully more in a Warren direction than Bernie. 

The establishment feels vulnerable when a real leader shows up that isn’t willing to play ball or stick to the script with inter-party elites.  

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They want her and Bernie to go away because they could take over the Democratic Party and reshape it in their image (Like Trump did with the GOP but in a good way). Which, in my opinion, is long overdue but hopefully more in a Warren direction than Bernie. 

The establishment feels vulnerable when a real leader shows up that isn’t willing to play ball or stick to the script with inter-party elites.  

So where does the party not want them to go ?  Bernie is way more left than Mrs. Warren isn't he ?

Edited by Onboard 2.0

5 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Well they don't want to smoke a peace pipe with her. Maybe they can trade shots of the firewater.

Sooooooooo racist...........  bad Thetexashammer bad !!!  

Hey Pancho, look somebody else is being racist !!  or is it just sarcasm ?  Who knows.  You know how we all talk with forked tongue, and all that shit.

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So where does the party not want them to go ?  Bernie is way more left than Mrs. Warren isn't he ?

Bernie is more left but Warren is more radical when compared to the status quo of greed and gridlock. 

I know I keep bringing this parallel up but the Theodore Roosevelt/Warren similarities are glaring when it comes to friction between the party elites.  

I don’t think Warren will have to go full Bull Moose but that would be her Indian name if she had one.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Bernie is more left but Warren is more radical when compared to the status quo of greed and gridlock. 

I know I keep bringing this parallel up but the Theodore Roosevelt/Warren similarities are glaring when it comes to friction between the party elites.  

I don’t think Warren will have to go full Bull Moose but that would be her Indian name if she had one.

She wants to break from the big donor mentality ?  Wall Street backer stuff ? She'll cross the aisle ? 

I can get behind a candidate that could pull that off regardless of party. She's going to be vilified.

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

to sum it up....she's as much a native American as a poodle is a wolf....but the best part is she claims vindication

Elizabeth-Warren-Morning-White-Dove-Gett

"first woman of color" at the Harvard Law School.

LMAO.  What a fucking dumbass

And about 44% of the country will believe her. Look at in this thread. 1/1000th?  Yep. Theres brave Native American blood in her. So brave. This whole thing is stupid as hell. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

She wants to break from the big donor mentality ?  Wall Street backer stuff ? She'll cross the aisle ? 

I can get behind a candidate that could pull that off regardless of party. She's going to be vilified.

She has two huge pieces of legislation she’s pushing and probably going to run on.

1. Anti Corruption Act -

https://www.warren.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2018.08.21 Anti Corruption Act Summary.pdf

First Big Change – Padlock the revolving door between big business and government. 

Ban elected and appointed officials from becoming lobbyists after they leave office. Not for 1 year.  Not for 2 years. For the rest of their lives. No special deals for millions and millions of dollars to the policymakers who will be in a position to pay back their old employers.

Second Big Change – Stop self-dealing by public officials. If a person works for the government, then that person should serve the public. No making policy decisions to help yourself instead of taxpayers.

Presidents should not be able to own companies on the side. And we shouldn’t have to beg candidates to let the American people see their financial interests. That should be the law – not just for presidential candidates, but for every candidate for every federal office.

Third Big Change – End lobbying as we know it. 

Start by fixing the Swiss cheese definition of a “lobbyist.”  Require everyone who gets paid to influence government to register. And bring that lobbying out into the sunlight. Make every single meeting between a lobbyist and a public official a matter of public record.

We should ban Americans from getting paid to lobby for foreign governments – period. If foreign governments want to express their views, they can use their diplomats. 

Fourth Big Change – End corporate capture of rulemaking. 

Prosecute companies that knowingly mislead government agencies. And stop the practice of companies paying for sham “studies” designed to derail the rulemaking process. 

Fifth Big Change – Restore faith that ordinary people can get a fair shake in our courts. 

Strengthen the code of conduct for all federal judges – no stock trading, no payments from corporations for attending events, no honoraria for giving speeches, no lavish getaways & fancy hunting trips funded by billionaires. & I mean all federal judges, including SCOTUS justices.

Big Change Number Six – Hire a new independent sheriff to police corruption. There are dedicated public servants that enforce our ethics laws – but they have less authority than security guards at the mall. 

Build a new anticorruption agency to make sure that all key federal officials – even powerful Senators and Presidents – file disclosures and get rid of conflicts. 

Inside Washington, some of these proposals will be very unpopular, even with my friends. Outside Washington, I expect that most people will see these ideas as no-brainers and be shocked they’re not already law. 

2.  The Accountable Capitalism Act 115th Congress (2017-2018) S. 3348 is a proposed federal bill introduced by Senator Elizabeth Warren in August 2018. It would require that employees elect 40% of a board of directors of any corporation with over $1 billion in tax receipts, and that 75% of shareholders and directors must approve any political spending. Corporations with revenue over $1 billion would be required to obtain a federal corporate charter. The Act contains a "constituency statute" that would give directors a duty of "creating a general public benefit" with regard to a corporations stakeholders, including shareholders, employees, and the environment, and the interests of the enterprise in the long-term.[1]

Background

With the Reward Work Act, the Accountable Capitalism Act is the second recent proposal to give employees a right to elect representatives on a company board of directors. The United States is in a minority of countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development that gives no representation of the workforce in corporate governance.[2] The Bill's explanatory document states that it seeks to borrow "from the successful approach in Germany and other developed economies", by introducing that right.[3]

For years, Senator Warren endorsed the slogan "corporations are not people," in opposition to the Citizens United Supreme Court ruling. The Accountable Capitalism Act further distinguishes rights of individuals from those of corporations. The internet tabloid Vox wrote of Warren's proposal: "Warren's plan starts from the premise that corporations that claim the legal rights of personhood should be legally required to accept the moral obligations of personhood."[4] (Corporate social responsibility and more.) Also, "In the early 1980s, America's biggest companies dedicated less than half of their profits to shareholders and reinvested the rest in the company. But over the last decade, big American companies have dedicated 93% of earnings to shareholders - redirecting trillions of dollars that could have gone to workers or long-term investments. The result is that booming corporate profits and rising worker productivity have not led to rising wages."[5]

https://www.warren.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/warren-introduces-accountable-capitalism-act

These aren’t really leftist ideas but they are radical. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

She has two huge pieces of legislation she’s pushing and probably going to run on.

1. Anti Corruption Act -

https://www.warren.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2018.08.21 Anti Corruption Act Summary.pdf

First Big Change – Padlock the revolving door between big business and government. 

Ban elected and appointed officials from becoming lobbyists after they leave office. Not for 1 year.  Not for 2 years. For the rest of their lives. No special deals for millions and millions of dollars to the policymakers who will be in a position to pay back their old employers.

Second Big Change – Stop self-dealing by public officials. If a person works for the government, then that person should serve the public. No making policy decisions to help yourself instead of taxpayers.

Presidents should not be able to own companies on the side. And we shouldn’t have to beg candidates to let the American people see their financial interests. That should be the law – not just for presidential candidates, but for every candidate for every federal office.

Third Big Change – End lobbying as we know it. 

Start by fixing the Swiss cheese definition of a “lobbyist.”  Require everyone who gets paid to influence government to register. And bring that lobbying out into the sunlight. Make every single meeting between a lobbyist and a public official a matter of public record.

We should ban Americans from getting paid to lobby for foreign governments – period. If foreign governments want to express their views, they can use their diplomats. 

Fourth Big Change – End corporate capture of rulemaking. 

Prosecute companies that knowingly mislead government agencies. And stop the practice of companies paying for sham “studies” designed to derail the rulemaking process. 

Fifth Big Change – Restore faith that ordinary people can get a fair shake in our courts. 

Strengthen the code of conduct for all federal judges – no stock trading, no payments from corporations for attending events, no honoraria for giving speeches, no lavish getaways & fancy hunting trips funded by billionaires. & I mean all federal judges, including SCOTUS justices.

Big Change Number Six – Hire a new independent sheriff to police corruption. There are dedicated public servants that enforce our ethics laws – but they have less authority than security guards at the mall. 

Build a new anticorruption agency to make sure that all key federal officials – even powerful Senators and Presidents – file disclosures and get rid of conflicts. 

Inside Washington, some of these proposals will be very unpopular, even with my friends. Outside Washington, I expect that most people will see these ideas as no-brainers and be shocked they’re not already law. 

2.  The Accountable Capitalism Act 115th Congress (2017-2018) S. 3348 is a proposed federal bill introduced by Senator Elizabeth Warren in August 2018. It would require that employees elect 40% of a board of directors of any corporation with over $1 billion in tax receipts, and that 75% of shareholders and directors must approve any political spending. Corporations with revenue over $1 billion would be required to obtain a federal corporate charter. The Act contains a "constituency statute" that would give directors a duty of "creating a general public benefit" with regard to a corporations stakeholders, including shareholders, employees, and the environment, and the interests of the enterprise in the long-term.[1]

Background

With the Reward Work Act, the Accountable Capitalism Act is the second recent proposal to give employees a right to elect representatives on a company board of directors. The United States is in a minority of countries in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development that gives no representation of the workforce in corporate governance.[2] The Bill's explanatory document states that it seeks to borrow "from the successful approach in Germany and other developed economies", by introducing that right.[3]

For years, Senator Warren endorsed the slogan "corporations are not people," in opposition to the Citizens United Supreme Court ruling. The Accountable Capitalism Act further distinguishes rights of individuals from those of corporations. The internet tabloid Vox wrote of Warren's proposal: "Warren's plan starts from the premise that corporations that claim the legal rights of personhood should be legally required to accept the moral obligations of personhood."[4] (Corporate social responsibility and more.) Also, "In the early 1980s, America's biggest companies dedicated less than half of their profits to shareholders and reinvested the rest in the company. But over the last decade, big American companies have dedicated 93% of earnings to shareholders - redirecting trillions of dollars that could have gone to workers or long-term investments. The result is that booming corporate profits and rising worker productivity have not led to rising wages."[5]

https://www.warren.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/warren-introduces-accountable-capitalism-act

These aren’t really leftist ideas but they are radical. 

I have reservations about all those. 

• Haha 2

(OVERTLY) Reuters news:  Presidential hopeful Elizabeth Warren found dead of an apparent suicide, three shots to the back of her head...........(SATIRICAL)

Those aren't leftist ideas at all IMO, those are just democratic, and good for a truly representative form of gov't of the people, for the people, and by the people.

I don't agree with the workers right to have a board member (I don't believe private co. should be forced to elect someone they don't want on their actual board of directors, sounds too much like a political officer in the old Soviet navel fleet), but I would say there should be a representative of the workers that have some kind of access to the workings of a board of directors, and can report what is being voted on to the employees in corporations over a certain employee threshold.

Those first items would be game changing pieces of legislation. How do you get enough of a majority from either party to vote on those ?

11 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

How do you get enough of a majority from either party to vote on those ?

You build a grassroots organic movement around those ideas to the point voters demand their elected officials endorse it or get voted out.

People never thought Trump’s border wall would be a real thing with legitimate legislative consideration but somehow the democrats were willing to fully fund it in exchange for the DACA kids earlier this year. 

Anything is possible with enough political will.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You build a grassroots organic movement around those ideas to the point voters demand their elected officials endorse it or get voted out.

People never thought Trump’s border wall would be a real thing with legitimate legislative consideration but somehow the democrats were willing to fully fund it in exchange for the DACA kids earlier this year. 

Anything is possible with enough political will. 

I've said this before, but the 2 year election cycle of congress makes it very hard to maintain a head of steam to make sweeping changes. You'd need to keep voters energized for at least 2-3 election cycles nationally to get the types of legislators in office who'd follow the will of the voters.