Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Nobody was ever actually named Pocahontas. She was a manufactured idea based on a captive girl with Stockholm Syndrome. 

Doesnt make a difference though. For white folks like Trump and Warren, all the tribes are interchangable. Its kind of like how, for white conservatives, every Latino is Mexican.  Except with Native Americans, the left throws them all together too. 

Every white guy is named Herb to me.

2 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

You're touching on my point in your first sentence. The most common reaction to the Cherokee Nation's statement is "Elizabeth Warren never claimed tribal membership." That isn't what the Cherokee Nation is objecting to. You mentioned in a post later down the thread about how common it is for white families in Oklahoma to pass down tales of an ancient Native ancestor. It's always a great great grandmother. It isn't exclusive to Oklahoma. All states that had a large native presence in the late 19th century seem to have that in common. Hell, Johnny Cash thought he was part Native American and built a musical catalogue around it. He later found out through research that he had zero affiliation. I've heard it joked about several times in my life that "every white girl thinks she's 1/16th Indian."

So it's your presumption that liberals aren't caring about Native Americans being taken advantage of by a lot of these lies being passed down and that we're okay with it?

Enter the modern day and now you have these tall tales of a great great grandmother who was full blood Native and these people go out and get a DNA test, see a sprinkle of "American" native, and it's off to the races. This is an issue that tribes such as the Cherokee Nation have a legitimate policy interest in. If Elizabeth Warren comes out and points to her small percentage, calls it a victory, and tells Trump to pay up, then that leaves the door open to possible hundreds of thousands of people using their DNA tests in an attempt to obtain tribal membership across the country wanting the tribe and the US government to "pay up." They'll be denied and when they are denied, they'll sue. Then these tribes will have to spend millions in legal fees defending themselves.

Okay, no offense Eastwood but you're better than this man. This is a huge jump in logic to state that Warren's DNA test is somehow equivalent of her opening pandora's box of tribes having to deal with tens or hundreds of thousands of people to obtain tribal membership. I could just as easily claim you're being sexist here because you fail to understand that a woman being attacked repeatedly by basically state media and a lot of Republican politicians does something she thinks is necessary to get out in front of this lingering BS if she intends to make a presidential run.

Also, I find it very interesting that in the surge of social awareness that this country has had over the last half decade or so, we seem to be so willing to disregard the concerns of the Cherokee Nation. They are a protected class of people whose ancestors endured horrors and genocide and felt compelled to issue a statement that they are offended and object to Native heritage being used as political fodder and have warned of the dangers of that. So many times we have heard when other groups are offended that it is not our job to determine whether or not they SHOULD be offended, but recognize that they ARE offended, respect that, and enter a dialogue to better understand why and attempt to correct it. The Cherokee Nation feels that their identity and what little security they have left in this nation is being encroached upon, and I feel that the nation, especially the Democrats as our last bastion of civility (however little some may think that may be), owe the statement of the Cherokee Nation the credibility and respect that it rightfully deserves.

Sure I can agree with this, which of the two main political parties are trying to engage in meaningful conversation about this nation's history of racist colonialism? What is Warren doing in all this that is somehow trivializing the Cherokee nation? We have had several posters show that she never used her claims of Native American ancestry to more easily obtain a job or political position. I don't understand your point of trying to make this something she needs be quiet and more respectful when she isn't the one controlling this narrative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastwood said:

No, but they are no friend to Donald Trump. Article from over a year ago:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cherokee-nation-trump-andrew-jackson_us_58c9bbd1e4b0ec9d29d88e02

I don't think they are a friend of Trump.   But my guess is that they weren't fully aware of the more prominent political aspect of this issue and how they're being used by Trump.  It's Trump that made her DNA a political issue, not Warren. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How do you lump Trump and Warren together on this issue? Or make a sweeping generalization on how the left views Native Americans? What has Warren ever done or said that suggests she thinks the tribes are "interchangeable?" 

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Cherokee Nation should care less about Warren's DNA test and more about SCOTUS disenfranchising Native Americans in ND.

Hmm.  While I would hope the Cherokee Nation cares about the Sioux and other tribes in North Dakota, they aren't the same peoples.

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Hmm.  While I would hope the Cherokee Nation cares about the Sioux and other tribes in North Dakota, they aren't the same peoples.

Well considering the newest Justice is very hostile to Native rights, maybe they should care.  As a whole.  The ND decision getting affirmed by SCOTUS is just going to be used by another red state full of Natives (Alaska? Oklahoma?) to disenfranchise more of them.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How do you lump Trump and Warren together on this issue?

Because the issue is about Trump giving Warren a hard time and Warren trying to give it back?

I think the pro-Warren argument is the better, nuanced argument. 

Which doesn't matter because we live in a post nuance world, let alone a post fact world. 

9 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

So it's your presumption that liberals aren't caring about Native Americans being taken advantage of by a lot of these lies being passed down and that we're okay with it?

Okay, no offense Eastwood but you're better than this man. This is a huge jump in logic to state that Warren's DNA test is somehow equivalent of her opening pandora's box of tribes having to deal with tens or hundreds of thousands of people to obtain tribal membership. I could just as easily claim you're being sexist here because you fail to understand that a woman being attacked repeatedly by basically state media and a lot of Republican politicians does something she thinks is necessary to get out in front of this lingering BS if she intends to make a presidential run.

Sure I can agree with this, which of the two main political parties are trying to engage in meaningful conversation about this nation's history of racist colonialism? What is Warren doing in all this that is somehow trivializing the Cherokee nation? We have had several posters show that she never used her claims of Native American ancestry to more easily obtain a job or political position. I don't understand your point of trying to make this something she needs be quiet and more respectful when she isn't the one controlling this narrative.

I'm saying that liberals have been disappointingly quick to qualify a statement made by the Cherokee Nation that isn't theirs to qualify.

Tribal rights are a hotly contested issue, as they are eroding every day right under our nose and it isn't getting the coverage it deserves. I agree with your sentiment that slippery slope arguments generally aren't good footing (pun intended), but for Native American tribes, they need to contest every possibility out there because they are losing every day and they need as much defense as possible. I think Trump's attack on Warren is horribly racist, insensitive, and deserves our unending ridicule. It is one of the countless things that he does that should automatically disqualify him as president, but here we are today. I also feel like Warren is incredibly intelligent, to the point where she could have addressed this issue much more tactfully and productively. Here you and I are, two guys of similar demographics, age, and political leanings, who know each other and have had nothing but positives interactions with each other over a 10 year period (in person and on the internet), having a civil argument over Warren's test. Warren could have done better, in my opinion. Those trying to find some kind of sinister agenda behind my opinion are running down the wrong trail. I don't think that this misstep makes her any less qualified for a 2020 run or makes her any less of an advocate for the disenfranchised, I just feel it was the wrong move. What I'm most disappointed in is, once again, in my opinion, how the statement of the Cherokee Nation seems to be glossed over and not really taken seriously. Can we not abhor Donald Trump, still like Warren, and be concerned about the opinion of the Cherokee Nation at the same time? Because that's where I stand on this issue.

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Nobody was ever actually named Pocahontas. She was a manufactured idea based on a captive girl with Stockholm Syndrome. 

Doesnt make a difference though. For white folks like Trump and Warren, all the tribes are interchangable. Its kind of like how, for white conservatives, every Latino is Mexican.  Except with Native Americans, the left throws them all together too. 

Her actual formal name was Amonute, she was also known to close relatives as Matoaka, and she had the tribal nickname of Pocahontas (loosely translated as playful one), and she was very real.  Whether she really saved John Smiths life or not is the myth.  That is very doubtful as Smith was known to embellish his stories.   Stockholm syndrome ?  probably not.

She was married and divorced early in life to a fellow tribal member, she was later captured by the English, and ransomed. She converted to Christianity, and later married Va. planter John Rolfe.

Their son Thomas Rolfe was also a very real person who married into a prominent Goochland Va. family.  His maternal grandfather was the chief of the Powhatan Indian tribe.  I've been working on the estate design of couple who owns 450 acres of an original 2,000 acre tract given as a wedding dowery to the newly wedded couple.

3 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I also feel like Warren is incredibly intelligent, to the point where she could have addressed this issue much more tactfully and productively.

Like? I'd be interested to read a more specific and substantive critique of Warren's words and actions.

What I'm most disappointed in is, once again, in my opinion, how the statement of the Cherokee Nation seems to be glossed over and not really taken seriously.

To be honest, no one is taking it seriously other than libs.

1 minute ago, Eastwood said:

I'm saying that liberals have been disappointingly quick to qualify a statement made by the Cherokee Nation that isn't theirs to qualify.

Tribal rights are a hotly contested issue, as they are eroding every day right under our nose and it isn't getting the coverage it deserves. I agree with your sentiment that slippery slope arguments generally aren't good footing (pun intended), but for Native American tribes, they need to contest every possibility out there because they are losing every day and they need as much defense as possible. I think Trump's attack on Warren is horribly racist, insensitive, and deserves our unending ridicule. It is one of the countless things that he does that should automatically disqualify him as president, but here we are today. I also feel like Warren is incredibly intelligent, to the point where she could have addressed this issue much more tactfully and productively. Here you and I are, two guys of similar demographics, age, and political leanings, who know each other and have had nothing but positives interactions with each other over a 10 year period (in person and on the internet), having a civil argument over Warren's test. Warren could have done better, in my opinion. Those trying to find some kind of sinister agenda behind my opinion are running down the wrong trail. I don't think that this misstep makes her any less qualified for a 2020 run or makes her any less of an advocate for the disenfranchised, I just feel it was the wrong move. What I'm most disappointed in is, once again, in my opinion, how the statement of the Cherokee Nation seems to be glossed over and not really taken seriously. Can we not abhor Donald Trump, still like Warren, and be concerned about the opinion of the Cherokee Nation at the same time? Because that's where I stand on this issue.

Sure, we can do all of these things. It's just confusing to me why you decided to drop in and say that liberals are at fault in some of this when Warren isn't the one who is really driving this narrative. This is very similar to Obama eventually having to release his birth certificate, idiots constantly called on him time and time again to debate the issue because it became the main talking point in his campaign that was driven by the right. I choose to see her actions yesterday as trying to get out in front of a similar situation. Sure maybe she could have handled it better and noted the long oppression Native Americans and other minority groups have faced, but in a time where we are literally questioning if we're going to have fair elections in a lot of states, where we may not be able to protest in front of the white house and the National Mall because of creeping authoritarianism, it doesn't seem appropriate to me right now to criticize her for something that has largely been out of her control.

This was just not a smart move by a woman everyone says is super smart.  She should have just said My mom has always said this was true, so I just assumed it was true.  I was wrong. The republicans have no where to go then.  Now she's kind of doubled down, and given them more ammo.

There are no apologies any more. Apologies are just confessions that throw blood in the water.

She doubled down on a fact that wasn't a fact to begin with, and the results show she has less DNA than most other Americans. She loses credibility by beating a dead horse that isn't even in the road any more.  She's re ignited an issue that she could have dealt with in a much smarter way.

No one will change their mind about her based on this.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

The reason is that the Cherokee Nation made a political mistake by effectively siding with Trump — the very person who made taking a DNA test a political issue, not to mention the racial slurs against Natives.   To be taken seriously, they needed to come out just as forcefully against Trump's demand for the DNA test.  Instead, they've taken sides, and against the only people that would actually give a shit about the fine point they are making about DNA.    I mean, I am persuaded by your explanation of the merits of their position, and I would have otherwise sided with them, but I give far less of a shit about their concerns than getting Trump out of office based on all of the much worse shit he is doing to our country.   Their decision to give Trump ammunition against Warren — and failure to hold him to account on the same exact issue — was a big mistake. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Like? I'd be interested to read a more specific and substantive critique of Warren's words and actions.

2 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Sure maybe she could have handled it better and noted the long oppression Native Americans and other minority groups have faced.

This, combined with not taking a DNA test, reminding people that a Native American identity is more complex than a simple blood test, that all she ever did is believe what her own family told her, and that as a staunch advocate for Native rights across the nation, she will continue to condemn Trump's racists, hateful speech against Natives. As pointed out, Warren had no control over how others have used her own personal stories of possible Native heritage, but she can control how she presents it.

4 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

100% this too btw, no one is changing their vote for her based off her actions yesterday.

This. My opinion of Warren hasn't changed and she would have my vote in 2020. I just feel she stubbed her toe, here.

3 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The reason is that the Cherokee Nation made a political mistake by effectively siding with Trump — the very person who made taking a DNA test a political issue, not to mention the racial slurs against Natives.   To be taken seriously, they needed to come out just as forcefully against Trump's demand for the DNA test.  Instead, they've taken sides, and against the only people that would actually give a shit about the fine point they are making about DNA.    I mean, I am persuaded by your explanation of the merits of their position, and I would have otherwise sided with them, but I give far less of a shit about their concerns than getting Trump out of office based on all of the much worse shit he is doing to our country.   Their decision to give Trump ammunition against Warren — and failure to hold him to account on the same exact issue — was a big mistake. 

I, too, wish that the Cherokee Nation sent a salvo Trump's way in all this, but alas, they did not. I, too, want Trump out of office, but if we are going to do it, we are going to do it together, as a Nation, Cherokee or otherwise.

I disagree that she shouldn't have taken that test if she couldn't accurately trace her family's lineage. This would have been so much like the birther shit, she would have Donald and other racists scream that she is 100% white and if she wasn't then why doesn't she take a test. 

Edited by GSU&UT
  • Like 1

Here's the thing, hit Warren with some SUBSTANCE.

Attack her for bad policy positions regarding Native Americans or something she said or did wrong. Something real. If the sum total of your critique is "could have handled it better" then you're not saying anything and all you're doing is carrying water for the fascists.

Attack her for fence-riding Dakota Access.
Demand she become a champion for SPECIFIC Native Causes.

But this "#DoBetter" white Twitter identity politics vaguery BS is tired and it's going to do nothing but allow the continued growth of fascist power.

Eastwood, I appreciate your reasoned discourse and you make good points. But the Cherokee Nation is giving a free pass to a loud mouthed bigot and focusing their annoyance towards Elizabeth Warren because she didn't handle this with more nuance. It comes back to a central issue in this country right now: People expect Dems/liberals to act in good faith while the GOP is allowed to spew their nasty rhetoric with no recourse because people have grown accustomed to it.  This shit has to stop. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Here's the thing, hit Warren with some SUBSTANCE.

Attack her for bad policy positions regarding Native Americans or something she said or did wrong. Something real. If the sum total of your critique is "could have handled it better" then you're not saying anything and all you're doing is carrying water for the fascists.

Attack her for fence-riding Dakota Access.
Demand she become a champion for SPECIFIC Native Causes.

But this "#DoBetter" white Twitter identity politics vaguery BS is tired and it's going to do nothing but allow the continued growth of fascist power.

If the sum total of my critique is "could have handled it better," then I'm not hitting at her at all. My position is that Warren made a political misstep because her DNA test and subsequent public release of the results created discomfort within the Cherokee Nation that led to an official statement. Not once did I attack her credibility, her qualifications, or her character. Remember the narrative of my argument: the Cherokee Nation's statement deserves respect and credibility.

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Eastwood, I appreciate your reasoned discourse and you make good points. But the Cherokee Nation is giving a free pass to a loud mouthed bigot and focusing their annoyance towards Elizabeth Warren because she didn't handle this with more nuance. It comes back to a central issue in this country right now: People expect Dems/liberals to act in good faith while the GOP is allowed to spew their nasty rhetoric with no recourse because people have grown accustomed to it.  This shit has to stop. 

I do expect the Dems and liberals to act in good faith because we need them to. The GOP is gone. They embraced the fringe in an attempt to stay in power and it ended up being a deal with the devil. Let hate be the GOP's game. We can beat hate with civility. I deeply believe that. We are in the midst of a horrific drought of civility, and it's easy to take the high road when the valley is flooded. This period of our history is the true test of whether or not we will survive as a civilized nation.

• Like 1

I do expect the Dems and liberals to act in good faith because we need them to. The GOP is gone. They embraced the fringe in an attempt to stay in power and it ended up being a deal with the devil. Let hate be the GOP's game. We can beat hate with civility. I deeply believe that. We are in the midst of a horrific drought of civility, and it's easy to take the high road when the valley is flooded. This period of our history is the true test of whether or not we will survive as a civilized nation.

Warren was defending herself, without a hateful comment towards the Cherokee Nation. I completely understand their desire for credibility and respect, but they strategized poorly on this one. 

Meanwhile, Trump shits out "Pocahontas" and feels empowered due to the Cherokee Nation's comments yesterday. Total fail. 

Just now, Eastwood said:

If the sum total of my critique is "could have handled it better," then I'm not hitting at her at all. My position is that Warren made a political misstep because her DNA test and subsequent public release of the results created discomfort within the Cherokee Nation that led to an official statement.

So?

Many people have different ancestry and those different ancestries influence their lives in different ways. Cherokee Nation, as a political body, has no connection to Elizabeth Warren or her ancestry. Frankly, the specific blood ancestry of Elizabeth Warren is not the business of the Cherokee Nation as a political body. They are clearly using the spotlight we white people shine on our presidential candidates as a vector to garner attention to their undoubtedly-worthy cause, but that is not because there was a legitimate grievance to have against Warren who, again, did absolutely nothing wrong or even unethical.

It is her right as an individual to get a DNA test and announce its results. That is every individual's right.

If she had ridden out on a painted horse with a headdress war-whooping, fine, but there is literally nothing she has done that could even be considered vaguely exploitative. Nothing she has done has been done in bad faith (at least regarding her Native American ancestry, which is real).

What hate is she promoting? What incivility?

It would be cool if she came out with a statement in support of Nativ....

54 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Sure, we can do all of these things. It's just confusing to me why you decided to drop in and say that liberals are at fault in some of this when Warren isn't the one who is really driving this narrative

Kavanaugh wasn't driving his narrative either.  And yet he was the guy who partied serious and that got him in trouble.  That and his rapist wit.

I'm not faulting Warren for driving a narrative.  I'm bummed because she made the tiny, insignificant decision to fill out the box that said Native American.  The rest of the  "fault" is the way that the Left owns at least some narrative related to affirmative action based on national origin/race.   So this issue is causing them to do a little dance.  And the Right will capitalize a bit on that dance.

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Warren was defending herself, without a hateful comment towards the Cherokee Nation. I completely understand their desire for credibility and respect, but they strategized poorly on this one. 

Meanwhile, Trump shits out "Pocahontas" and feels empowered due to the Cherokee Nation's comments yesterday. Total fail. 

Calling someone Pocahontas is pretty low on the totem pole of racism.  It doesn't;t speak much to his character or maturity for damn sure, but it's a lot less racist than calling someone an Uncle Tom.

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

Kavanaugh wasn't driving his narrative either.  And yet he was the guy who partied serious and that got him in trouble.  That and his rapist wit.

I'm not faulting Warren for driving a narrative.  I'm bummed because she made the tiny, insignificant decision to fill out the box that said Native American.  The rest of the  "fault" is the way that the Left owns at least some narrative related to affirmative action based on national origin/race.   So this issue is causing them to do a little dance.  And the Right will capitalize a bit on that dance.

Here's the thing about her checking that box. Everybody here has seen those boxes.   They;re there for a reason, and its not just a casual we'd like to get to know you better thing. What caucasian person checks Native American, or Asian, or Latino, or black or Martian unless their grandmother, or maybe great grandmother was at least half native American ?? 

If her mom had told her she had a black ancestor, I wonder if she would have checked that box.

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

"It's not THAT racist" is a great argument. 

It's a persons name, it denotes an American native Indian girls name.  It was sarcasm, racist denotes scorn or ridicule of that race.  Calling her Pocahontas is a slam at her for calling herself out as Native American offspring.  It's racial, not racist. There's a pretty big difference in the two.

Care to comment on people throwing the Uncle Tom moniker about whenever a black person goes conservative ? 

Everybody with any sense knows that somebody who is 1/1024th Indian is not Indian.  And somebody who is 1/1024th Indian who claims to be Indian deserves to be scorned or laughed at.  And if they run for President the derision will be massive.  And should be.

Edited by MixtyMotions
  • Like 2

Again, when are any of you Trumpsters trashing Warren for the Indian angle going to address Trump's claim of Swedish ancestry? There is no way that could have been some family lore lost in the fog of time, as his dad's dad came straight from Germany, and, in fact, it was Big Daddy Trump who invented the claims to Swedishness he knew damn well were false.

And Donald and Big Daddy most definitely did it for money. 

This is the third time I have posted this on this thread and not a word from @Onboard 2.0 or anybody else.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I'm bummed because she made the tiny, insignificant decision to fill out the box that said Native American.

Why?

She honesty and truthfully indicated that she had Native American ancestry. She did so on a non-hiring, unofficial form and clearly never pretended to be anything she wasn't in order to get anything.

Libs should grow spines.

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If her mom had told her she had a black ancestor, I wonder if she would have checked that box.

Well, the box is African-American, not black, right?

As far as I'm concerned, that box applies to Egyptians now in the US as citizens, as well as white (say, South Africans) Africans now US citizens. 

18 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I think there is an opportunity for some positive progress out of the issuing of the statement. As mentioned up thread, I'd be willing to bet that Warren and her group have already reached out to the Cherokee Nation and this situation may even create a couple of positive initiatives towards Native rights. I'm hopeful for that.

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's a persons name, it denotes an American native Indian girls name.  It was sarcasm, racist denotes scorn or ridicule of that race.  Calling her Pocahontas is a slam at her for calling herself out as Native American offspring.  It's racial, not racist. There's a pretty big difference in the two.

Care to comment on people throwing the Uncle Tom moniker about whenever a black person goes conservative ? 

No, it's still fucking racist.  

As for your whataboutism, calling someone an Uncle Tom is bad as well. Why would you think I'd feel any differently?

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Again, when are any of you Trumpsters trashing Warren for the Indian angle going to address Trump's claim of Swedish ancestry? There is no way that could have been some family lore lost in the fog of time, as his dad's dad came straight from Germany, and, in fact, it was Big Daddy Trump who invented the claims to Swedishness he knew damn well were false.

And Donald and Big Daddy most definitely did it for money. 

This is the third time I have posted this on this thread and not a word from @Onboard 2.0 or anybody else.

Hey I hear you and don't have an answer. I don't know that much about that issue.  Did he fill out job applications where he checked the  Swedish  box?  What advantage would that give him ?  Is there a Swedish box to check ?

Did he call himself Swedish during his election run ?  Precisely what does calling yourself Swedish do for you ? They're not a protected or oppressed minority.  

I think a lot of peoples families have hidden their Jewish heritage (SEE: Madelaine Albright).

We all know Trump tells lies, again what politician doesn't ?  Her issue is now using test results that still don't really show what she contends, yet she's saying it does.  She knew what checking that box  meant when she did it.

I think there is an opportunity for some positive progress out of the issuing of the statement. As mentioned up thread, I'd be willing to bet that Warren and her group have already reached out to the Cherokee Nation and this situation may even create a couple of positive initiatives towards Native rights. I'm hopeful for that.

Agreed.

Meanwhile, every Trumpkin is gleefully bragging about Cherokee Nation taking a shot at Elizabeth Warren and are adding another notch to Trump's WWE Championship belt. 

• Like 2