Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

18 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i mean, in a much more proactive manner. it's not like this has been percolating for years or anything.

IMO, she's being proactive. She apologized to the Cherokee nation the other day. Now she's coming forward with everything that can be thrown at her over this. Did anyone know about the bar card before she brought it forward? She'll probably be on 60 Minutes or something and will take and have to answer questions on it. 

I'm not married to the idea of her being president or anything, but she strikes me as an idea person. Personally, I don't care which party has the best candidate but I'm tired of the fear mongering. Come up with some positive ideas to get us moving in the right direction. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jograves said:

IMO, she's being proactive. She apologized to the Cherokee nation the other day. Now she's coming forward with everything that can be thrown at her over this. Did anyone know about the bar card before she brought it forward? She'll probably be on 60 Minutes or something and will take and have to answer questions on it. 

I'm not married to the idea of her being president or anything, but she strikes me as an idea person. Personally, I don't care which party has the best candidate but I'm tired of the fear mongering. Come up with some positive ideas to get us moving in the right direction. 

Out of rep, need to rep this. Let the process play out, if people don't like her then she won't win the Primary, if NA tribes come out against her and people turn on her then let it happen in the primary.

Just now, GSU&UT said:

Yes, and they can continue to openly hold onto power they don't deserve by holding the majority in the senate as well as gerrymandering lots of states. They got TWO fucking SC justices on the court that are going to ensure that their ideals (BUT THEY CALL BALLS AND STRIKES DUM LIB) are codified for a generation. 

I am one who says fuck playing on two different sets of rules, how many of y'all who are complaining about Warren's gaffe are applying any sort of scrutiny to Harris, Klobuchar, Biden, etc.? That's what's making me the most annoyed in all of this.

in spaceballs, a movie i think that we can all agree epitomizes our current political climate, an oft quoted accepted truth is this:

tenor.gif?itemid=4135693

in this case, the republicans are dark helmet. the democrats are the "good is dumb" part of the equation. however, in the end, obviously good triumphs because evil cannot help itself.  i honestly think that we are seeing this play out. 

there's another movie quote that is often misused, imo. it's "go get your shinebox." billy batts tells this to tommy in the movie. to this day, people use that when someone gets owned in some capacity, but people never realize that billy batts ended up in the trunk of a car, beaten and stabbed to death. right now, all the republicans can do is sneer and say "go get your shinebox," without realizing the possible implications. of course, this may be a bad analogy, because right when tommy is thinking he's going to be made, he gets whacked. so maybe we are all fucked.

I'm not defending this error in judgment.  I don't even particularly like her as a candidate.
But it speaks volumes about the insane asylum this country has become that this is a bigger deal than Trump's "grab 'em by the pussy" audio or the double-digit sexual assault accusations.

Nothing matters anymore!

*if you’re a republican. If not then get out the microscope.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

goodfellas-3.jpg&f=1

Whaddaya want from me?

lulz. even a better metaphor for our political climate. 

one dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way.

and we are the fucking guy in the middle. "whaddya want from me." 

but without the beard, we are dying in the trunk of the car outside.

Edited by hayden_horn

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

she hasn't received any undue benefits, right?  is this really that big of a deal?

In the scheme of things no. But it's a bizarre thing to label yourself as a minority when clearly you're not.  How did she think she was NA enough to call herself that ?  I'm gonna put down Viking on my forms for now on..... Valhalla rules !!!!

20 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

In the scheme of things no. But it's a bizarre thing to label yourself as a minority when clearly you're not.  How did she think she was NA enough to call herself that ?  I'm gonna put down Viking on my forms for now on..... Valhalla rules !!!!

yeah i get what you're saying, it just seems so trivial.  this is what we're focusing on?  the avg joe probably can't tell you anything about her except for this, which is a shame.  

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

yeah i get what you're saying, it just seems so trivial.  this is what we're focusing on?  the avg joe probably can't tell you anything about her except for this, which is a shame.  

I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it. It's just good fodder to argue here on the Surly. I'm still amazed grab their pussy didn't do Trump in.

Yeah, and the average Joe should be paying close attention to what she's saying about Wall Street, and campaign finance reform.  Like I stated, I really like her positions on general reforms, but I don't think she'll get a pass on this, even from her own party, which is moving more left than she certainly is, in my opinion.

I find the story charming.  She really believed she was something she wasn’t because she was taught to believe it.  
It’s a good reminder these people are in fact human.

Wow. You sit in on the cloak room all day long and rip people on the other side, and when faced with such an unethical, if not illegal, action by one of your own team, you react that way. Whatever tiny shred of credibility you once had as being a thoughtful balanced thinker is gone.
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I find the story charming.  She really believed she was something she wasn’t because she was taught to believe it.  

In the same way that your undying devotion to her is charming. Even after her campaign is ruined, over a year out from primaries, here you are, by her side, fucking that chicken. 

53 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

she hasn't received any undue benefits, right?  is this really that big of a deal?

Huge part of Dem politics is identity politics. She misidentified herself, accidentally or dumbly, for decades. She may have benefitted from it indirectly through her employers benefitting. It’s a bad look.

I’m an outsider to the party, but I’ve suggested y’all should look to someone else for a while and it’s not because I’m scared of her. 

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Elizabeth Warren: probably an ok person; probably a good Law Professor; probably not a good Presidential candidate. 

She never was, imo, a candidate worth discussing. 

She's her own worst enemy, it seems.

She always looks pissy.  Never look pissy, its not a good look.  That beer schtick thing she tried to do, God it was painful.

I wonder why she didn't just grab a peace pipe.... heeeeeey ooooooooooo............

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

She always looks pissy.  Never look pissy, its not a good look.  That beer schtick thing she tried to do, God it was painful.

I wonder why she didn't just grab a peace pipe.... heeeeeey ooooooooooo............

Yeah, and not to be misogynistic, but damn, her voice is really shrill. Way worse than Hillary's, imo.

She's a Senator. Probably a good one. Leave it there, Liz, leave it there. 

Your job now is to help Mayor Pete (Pres) and AOC (VP) gain the White House. 

44 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Huge part of Dem politics is identity politics. She misidentified herself, accidentally or dumbly, for decades. She may have benefitted from it indirectly through her employers benefitting. It’s a bad look.

I’m an outsider to the party, but I’ve suggested y’all should look to someone else for a while and it’s not because I’m scared of her. 

A huge part of Republican politics is identity politics. Let's not forget that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Warren is not in my top two and I do think she bungled the DNA/BarCard thing but the more she gets Hillaryed, the more pissed off I get on her behalf.

“She looks pissy!”

“She’s shrill!”

Just say an older lady in power makes your dick turtle up in fear and go.

Fuck that shit (SEE: Maggie Thatcher, Golda Meir)

6 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Warren is not in my top two and I do think she bungled the DNA/BarCard thing but the more she gets Hillaryed, the more pissed off I get on her behalf.

“She looks pissy!”

“She’s shrill!”

Just say an older lady in power makes your dick turtle up in fear and go.

Hello?

She's a politician. Looks, appearances, perception matters. 

She does look pissy. She does sound shrill.

Take the meta issues up at your next Womens' Studies Seminar.  :)

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

IMO, the issue (so far) isn't about lying for career opportunities.  The bar card explicitly says its non-public info, and she listed herself as white on several applications.   The issue is that the more like this that comes out, the more it seems like she has a screw loose.  And that's probably worse for a presidential candidate than lying for career gain. 

Right, this country would never elect a candidate with a screw loose to be President.

What does that even mean?

My white ass can’t afford a $2,000 ODLR dress. Who’s talking about buying clothes because of Meghan Markle?

I did buy the blazer AOC wore to the SOTU. It was cute and $85.

Or is it somehow an insult in your world to be interested in pop culture and fashion and also interested in politics?

Is it shallow for men on this board to toggle between political discussion one minute and drooling over 18 year old football recruits the next?

Or no?

I have zero shame in having many varied interests - some serious, some shallow, some just for entertainment.

But please, do show your ass some more with sexism so casual you don’t even realize it oozes out in every post you subject us to.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Yeah, and not to be misogynistic, but damn, her voice is really shrill. Way worse than Hillary's, imo.

She's a Senator. Probably a good one. Leave it there, Liz, leave it there. 

Your job now is to help Mayor Pete (Pres) and AOC (VP) gain the White House. 

Do you know what the word "shrill" means?

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Even in the worst case scenario of this story, my response is, “That’s it? That’s all you got on her? Surely she’s drowned a bag of kittens, embezzled money from her church, or has unpaid parking tickets.”  Keep digging because this story is weak. 

Light another candle and sit down...

12 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Hello?

She's a politician. Looks, appearances, perception matters. 

She does look pissy. She does sound shrill.

Take the meta issues up at your next Womens' Studies Seminar.  :)

If only this applied to Trump in the same way

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It shouldn't be disqualifying. Fellow Democrat Presidential candidates will not attack her for those mistakes. 

The question will continue to be if she can beat Trump. I'm not convinced right now, but the situation is fluid obviously. 

other candidates might not attack her, but their surrogates will.  She is going to get a lot of flack for the bar registration.

15 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It shouldn't be disqualifying. Fellow Democrat Presidential candidates will not attack her for those mistakes. 

The question will continue to be if she can beat Trump. I'm not convinced right now, but the situation is fluid obviously. 

my god, how glorious would election year be with trump sounding the racist pocahontas horn for a solid year?

6 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

LOL, WTF is this shit?  You can't possibly be serious?  

Half the trailer trash in Oklahoma believes they're somehow related to some Indian Princess.  Only the dumbest of folks truly believe this into adulthood. I don't know what that says about Warren, but it certainly isn't 'charming' and a reminder that 'people are in fact human'.  

I mean what the fuck is that statement anyways, 'people are in fact human'?  

Maybe take a few days off...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Half the trailer trash in Oklahoma believes they're somehow related to some Indian Princess.  Only the dumbest of folks truly believe this into adulthood. I don't know what that says about Warren, but it certainly isn't 'charming' and a reminder that 'people are in fact human'.  

That's a strong reaction to a fairly banal thought.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

That's a strong reaction to a fairly banal thought.

Oh yes, it is.  Because Hugo isn't someone unfamiliar with politics who happens to misunderstand the situation.  He tries to play it down the middle and this is so pathetic it should be called out.  

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Now THAT'S  ^^^^^^^^. charming !!!  Well played.  

It's more than that. She knew her alleged ancestry was way back in the family (it's always way back in everybody's family). For her to fill in "American Indian" or "Native American" on any form is bizarre, and outright lying. She's 99.99999% caucasian. She doesn't have enough DNA of any Native American tribe to even say "How paleface"....  (which she most assuredly is).

In the scheme of bad shit it's not up there, but in the scheme of WTF was she thinking all those years, it's a head scratcher.  It most definitely isn't charming.

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’ve been led to believe I’m of German decent.  I’ve never taken a DNA test. Is it unreasonable of me to claim German heritage when asked? 

Of course it isn't.

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Are you running for POTUS in this scenario? 

I'm having a hard time thinking of a less relevant "controversy" with regard to presidential suitability.

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’ve been led to believe I’m of German decent.  I’ve never taken a DNA test. Is it unreasonable of me to claim German heritage when asked? 

Do you know that Native Americans get many breaks when applying for various positions in OK/TX?  I'm pretty sure I don't know of any breaks Germans catch, if so, please do educate me. 

• Like 1