Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This is what happened.

Silly season hasn't even started yet, man, and it's ALREADY wild out here.

So she was defined by her political enemies. Sucks, but the fact is the perception is out there - this stupid issue is part of her political persona now, and it won't go away. She has to address the perception, fair or not. Trying to prove she has NA blood backfired; she has to do something else.

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Harvard I believe , how else would they know she was Native American ?

Is this a serious question?

Is the hiring committee the same group that made the directory that listed Warren as NA? Are they the same people?

What you're essentially arguing here is that Harvard can only learn things about its employees through the hiring process. This is, of course, completely idiotic.

Here is what Harvard has to say...

“She was not on the radar screen at all in terms of a racial minority hire,” Randall Kennedy, a law professor who was in charge of recruiting minority candidates to Harvard Law School, told the Globe. “It was just not an issue. I can’t remember anybody ever mentioning her in this context.”

The Globe reports that it examined hundreds of documents, many of them never before available, and talked to 31 law school professors from that period at Harvard. All but one said her Native American heritage was not discussed as part of the decision to hire her. One said he was unsure if the issue came up, but if it did, it had no bearing on his vote.

link

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 1

Just now, Bat Guano said:

So she was defined by her political enemies. Sucks, but the fact is the perception is out there - this stupid issue is part of her political persona now, and it won't go away. She has to address the perception, fair or not. Trying to prove she has NA blood backfired; she has to do something else.

No that is not what happened. The head of the dept. at Harvard actually addressed her Native American heritage as a badge of inclusiveness for Harvard.  Did Mrs. Warren  tell her that after the fact or like on her bar license in Texas she filled out Native American ?

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Is this a serious question?

Is the hiring committee the same group that made the directory that listed Warren as NA? Are they the same people?

What you're essentially arguing here is that Harvard can only learn things about its employees through the hiring process. This is, of course, completely idiotic.

Here is what Harvard has to say...

“She was not on the radar screen at all in terms of a racial minority hire,” Randall Kennedy, a law professor who was in charge of recruiting minority candidates to Harvard Law School, told the Globe. “It was just not an issue. I can’t remember anybody ever mentioning her in this context.”

Are you really Hugo in real life ?  You're a sock for somebody for damn sure.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No that is not what happened. The head of the dept. at Harvard actually addressed her Native American heritage as a badge of inclusiveness for Harvard.  Did Mrs. Warren  tell her that after the fact or like on her bar license in Texas she filled out Native American ?

Why are you lying?

All this Indian shit wrt to Warren is mental masturbation, imo. 

Can she do the job? Yes, more than likely. She seems to be a hard worker and smart. 

Does she have what it takes as a politician to capture the WH? No, imo. 

You know, after all this, Obama is going to go down as one of the best (not better: best) Presidents of all time. Look at the retard racists he had to combat. 

He is the embodiment of class. Suck on that, racists. 

1 hour ago, troph said:

I’m a lawyer, and going on 20 years of practice. I’d check white but I never see any qualifying language saying the determination of checking a box is majority. In fact they are all silent. She was probably early mid thirties when she asked for admission to the Texas bar. Why did she check it, I don’t know. But I don’t see it as disqualifying as long as she has NA blood. Insensitive yes, insulting to visibly NA folks yes (I assume). But a lie? Not that clear cut.

She was 37 and had been on law faculty at UH and UT for eight years including being Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. 

I'm not saying she lied intentionally or to gain a benefit.  However, she could in no way claim to be ignorant of the potential benefit.

In 1988, I had a classmate at UT Law that was a "white" guy with a German name.  His family were Californios (meaning inhabitants before statehood and Mexican subjects/citizens).  He was a "Texas index" average.  By checking the Mexican American or Hispanic  box (I forget the preferred nomenclature back then), he had a full-tuition scholarship to UT Law.  He drove a brand-new Supra.

Even dumbass undergrads knew the ramifications of checking certain boxes.

That just makes it the more inexplicable.

If she got the nomination, I would still vote for her, I think.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

She was 37 and had been on law faculty at UH and UT for eight years including being Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. 

I'm not saying she lied intentionally or to gain a benefit.  However, she could in no way claim to be ignorant of the potential benefit.

In 1988, I had a classmate at UT Law that was a "white" guy with a German name.  His family were Californios (meaning inhabitants before statehood and Mexican subjects/citizens).  He was a "Texas index" average.  By checking the Mexican American or Hispanic  box (I forget the preferred nomenclature back then), he had a full-tuition scholarship to UT Law.  He drove a brand-new Supra.

Even dumbass undergrads knew the ramifications of checking certain boxes.

Ok.

So, if I'm a white guy from Zimbabwe/South Africa/Egypt can I check the box "African-American"?

Why should a a dark-skinned person who hails from the Caribbean be able to check the box "African-American"?

Stop with the identify politics bs, imo. 

Most people, and not necessarily "bad" people, will find out how the game is played and then play that game to their advantage. That is, among other reasons, why they are smart. 

3 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Maybe I'm missing the obvious here, but... Indian/Native American box?

On what form? Where? When? To whom did she lie about her heritage to gain benefit?

If this were real, it would be obvious and very easy to verify.

The Harvard guy in charge of recruiting racial minorities would say, "We considered her as a racial minority candidate because she checked the box and she talked about her Native American ancestry."

We would have transcripts. Someone would say something. But no one says anything. There is literally nothing.

But here we are, pretending that to get hired at Harvard you fill out an application at a kiosk like McDonald's and there's a box to check for Native American and that she absolutely did it even though the guy in charge of it says no such thing happened.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Ok.

So, if I'm a white guy from Zimbabwe/South Africa/Egypt can I check the box "African-American"?

Why should a a dark-skinned person who hails from the Caribbean be able to check the box "African-American"?

Stop with the identify politics bs, imo. 

Most people, and not necessarily "bad" people, will find out how the game is played and then play that game to their advantage. That is, among other reasons, why they are smart. 

There's no "identity politics."  Simply stating facts concerning what had to be her knowledge of the state of affairs regarding affirmative action in 1986.  We don't know where else she might have "checked boxes" or how that may have benefitted her.  I assume that, had that been the case, it would have been revealed by now.  The bar registration card is not material to securing benefits, as far as I know.

My "gam gam" was believed to be Native American also, I didn't and don't know the litmus tests, but I would not have dared check such a box, unless I thought my claim could withstand scrutiny beyond "well, everyone said my Grandmother was part Cherokee."

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

A quick google search ; warren admits listing herself as Native American to Harvard and penn U. May 2012 huffington post. Are they lying ?

This is what the Boston Globe found when they investigated:

In the most exhaustive review undertaken of Elizabeth Warren’s professional history, the Globe found clear evidence, in documents and interviews, that her claim to Native American ethnicity was never considered by the Harvard Law faculty, which voted resoundingly to hire her, or by those who hired her to four prior positions at other law schools. At every step of her remarkable rise in the legal profession, the people responsible for hiring her saw her as a white woman.

The Globe examined hundreds of documents, many of them never before available, and reached out to all 52 of the law professors who are still living and were eligible to be in [on the decision]. Some are Warren’s allies. Others are not. Thirty-one agreed to talk to the Globe — including the law professor who was, at the time, in charge of recruiting minority faculty. Most said they were unaware of her claims to Native American heritage and all but one of the 31 said those claims were not discussed as part of her hire. One professor told the Globe he is unsure whether her heritage came up, but is certain that, if it did, it had no bearing on his vote on Warren’s appointment.

If there's evidence she profited from it, I'd like to see it and she should be burned for it. I just haven't seen any. 

1 minute ago, Jograves said:

This is what the Boston Globe found when they investigated:

If there's evidence she profited from it, I'd like to see it and she should be burned for it. I just haven't seen any. 

By the time she was hired at Harvard, and during her time at UT, she was beyond qualified to hold her position as an expert in bankruptcy law and debtor-creditor relations.  That's why I respect her and don't find this to be a real big deal.

On the other hand, it's just so bizarre.

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

oh cool - my fiance's grandfather grew up on Fort Peck/was Assiniboine.  Actually surprised to hear that there were vanilla white kids who grew up there?

That's cool. I grew up on a farm outside of Wolf Point, Montana and went to a country school. There were only a handful of Native Americans in my school but it was just k-8. If I had stayed there for high school, I would've had to go in town and it's about 50/50 natives and whites. 

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

By the time she was hired at Harvard, and during her time at UT, she was beyond qualified to hold her position as an expert in bankruptcy law and debtor-creditor relations.  That's why I respect her and don't find this to be a real big deal.

On the other hand, it's just so bizarre.

You're a lawyer. You don't carry around your bar card and show it to people, right? I don't see how she would've profited from that either. 

You're a lawyer. You don't carry around your bar card and show it to people, right? I don't see how she would've profited from that either. 

I did for a week until I realized it was stupid to do so. Jk I still do. Jk never did. I do have a bathroom clearance card though. Jk about that too. This is all so silly. Including checking NA makes no sense.

Just now, troph said:

I did for a week until I realized it was stupid to do so. Jk I still do. Jk never did.

Hahaha.  I lost the original one, in some deteriorated wallet somewhere in the back of a drawer, I'm sure.  But, I have had to present it to federal courthouse officials to bring electronics into a courtroom and had to order another one for that very purpose.

36 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Again, I may be missing something, but Harvard?

Ah yes, the classic "Harvard" form.

Are you saying she put it on her job application? If so, what evidence do you have to refute the testimony of the literal man in charge of racial minority recruiting?

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

So you're saying she wouldn't have been hired but for her claim to be Native American.

She got the classic "HARVARD" form in the mail.

"Check here for Indian status:

___ - None , ___ - A little bit, _____ - half or so, ____ - INDIAN AS ALL HELL!"

Elizabeth slammed that last check box and mailed it in.

Then she got the job because of her fake race.

And now, everyone at Harvard is operating in a coordinated lie, formulated in the basement of Comet Ping Pong Pizza, to pretend that they didn't hire her because she was wearing a war bonnet in her attached headshot.

9 hours ago, Mole said:

Did we not all laugh at the Voldemort looking picture highlighting the absurd difference between the tiny bit of natural skin color on his face and the weird orange color of the rest of his face? 

Did we not all laugh when the adult film actress he paid off described his member as resembling a short, stubby, mushroom-like video game character? 

Do we not all laugh at the strange smallness of his hands? 

Or how about Senator Turtle?

Did we list these as reasons not to vote for him?

8 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No you can't because as soon as she filled out a job application as Native American she was instantly in a different class of hiring. Stop being dishonest about this fact.  Harvard trumpeted her hiring as a diversity feather in their cap (no pun intended).  

You would have thought that she really wanted to use her white privilege.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SKJ said:

Did we list these as reasons not to vote for him?

Is anyone really not voting for a women because she has a constant sour look on her face or she has a grating voice? It’s the same thing; just another drop in the bucket of negative perception, priming us not to like them. There’s a constant churn of negative commentary about Trump’s absurd appearance. It keeps the hate juices flowing between scandals and atrocities.

The same people who decry the inherent misogyny of commentary about Warren’s appearance seem to revel in Trump penis jokes. There’s a disconnect in values, or rather, the lack of any coherent value system beyond winning points. In other words, it’s the core principle of Trumpism. All the self-justification doesn’t change this; it just dresses it up in rationalizations.

For full disclosure, I’d vote for Chief Wahoo over Trump, but having a coherent value system actually matters. This is why Al Franklin and the Virgina minstrel show matters. To a lesser degree, it’s why this matters, although this situation is more really weird than really bad. It’s also why nothing seems to matter with Trump.

Is anyone really not voting for a women because she has a constant sour look on her face or she has a grating voice? It’s the same thing; just another drop in the bucket of negative perception, priming us not to like them. There’s a constant churn of negative commentary about Trump’s absurd appearance. It keeps the hate juices flowing between scandals and atrocities.
The same people who decry the inherent misogyny of commentary about Warren’s appearance seem to revel in Trump penis jokes. There’s a disconnect in values, or rather, the lack of any coherent value system beyond winning points. In other words, it’s the core principle of Trumpism. All the self-justification doesn’t change this; it just dresses it up in rationalizations.
For full disclosure, I’d vote for Chief Wahoo over Trump, but having a coherent value system actually matters. This is why Al Franklin and the Virgina minstrel show matters. To a lesser degree, it’s why this matters, although this situation is more really weird than really bad. It’s also why nothing seems to matter with Trump.

Actually we act like we are objective but we aren’t. Humans - mostly white in the US because that’s where university psychology departments get their subjects from - are biased against ugly, women, color, short, etc. and biased in favor of beauty, men, white, tall, etc.

You can probably check or uncheck one box. If you’re a woman that means perfection is required across the board. If you are a man you can still be ugly or short or of color.

That’s how misogyny works. Being a woman is the only strike allowed.

10 hours ago, Mole said:

Trump is a garbage human being in his personal and professional life. Mocking his appearance is fine in that context.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 1

If all of these forms had a question that stated: list all of your ethnic heritage, I wouldn’t have an issue if she checked a box stating that she had Native American background as long as she checked Caucasian as well.   I can give her benefit of the doubt her grandma told this story and that warren believed it.   But ONLY writing, “American Indian” on that one form changed my mind about this story.

Finally I think people can be forgiven for mistakes and perhaps she would be a great president.  But apologies and acceptance of an apology doesn’t mean that you don’t face consequences.   If she wants to be president she needs to explain this more and give some better excuse.  

41 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

It’s like making fun of “Huckabeef” is okay but call Abrams fat and the world is about to end

Were we reading the same thread? What the fuck are you talking about?

There were 10+ jokes making fun of Abrams' teeth and weight and 1 post calling it out.

You're such a bitch.

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

It’s like making fun of “Huckabeef” is okay but call Abrams fat and the world is about to end

SHS is ugly on the inside, kind of like you. Call me when Abrams’ stands there in her official capacity and blatantly lies to the American people for years, gaslighting anyone who dares to call her out. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If all of these forms had a question that stated: list all of your ethnic heritage, I wouldn’t have an issue if she checked a box stating that she had Native American background as long as she checked Caucasian as well.   I can give her benefit of the doubt her grandma told this story and that warren believed it.   But ONLY writing, “American Indian” on that one form changed my mind about this story.

Finally I think people can be forgiven for mistakes and perhaps she would be a great president.  But apologies and acceptance of an apology doesn’t mean that you don’t face consequences.   If she wants to be president she needs to explain this more and give some better excuse.  

It was a BS move, and if she didn't understand what the boxes meant she was a complete more-ron or just your garden variety fraud.  She at this point doesn't have a good excuse other than," I was wrong for doing it, and I apologize to the actual real Native American population.  Any attempt to say she didn't know what checking the boxes meant makes you a more-ron or just your garden variety dick sucker.

Peace pipe out......

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If all of these forms had a question that stated: list all of your ethnic heritage, I wouldn’t have an issue if she checked a box stating that she had Native American background as long as she checked Caucasian as well.   I can give her benefit of the doubt her grandma told this story and that warren believerd it.   But ONLY writing, “American Indian” on that one form changed my mind about this story.

I agree. I am 1/8th an ethnic minority and would never think to list it on a form.

There is even an unconfirmed family rumor that a 4th great grand parent of mine was native American, and I would certainly never list that.

Nonetheless I will still vote for her if she wins the nomination.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

My kids are 3/8 an ethnic minority and I tell them to list themselves as that.

So it seems like we're are zeroing in on 1/4 as the magical line.

25% is a magic number I believe.  That usually means grandparents I think.  That's pretty direct lineage IMO.

There's no evidence that she personally benefited from NA status in her career, and plenty of evidence that she did not benefit at several major inflection points.  Perhaps something new will be found, but it hasn't so far.   The most reasonable conclusion based on actual evidence is that she had a weird personal identity thing about her NA ancestor.  It's a factor in the mix, and something she'll have to overcome, but it's certainly not disqualifying. 

• Like 4

25% is a magic number I believe.  That usually means grandparents I think.  That's pretty direct lineage IMO.

What if you’re not 25% anything? I barely make that DNA line at 28% British but I’m sure many people are so mixed, they’re not a significant majority of anything.

I thought white privilege was an inherent benefit. So her privilege to use other cultures in her resumes is definitely beneficial because she got to show that she was the best kind of white...minority white. All the privilege of white and all the benefit of minority. Can’t benefit much more than that. 

Regardless of that, she takes another step in showing how tone deaf to political strategy she is by announcing her official run while her name is still being slung through the media for lying on her forms. At least wait a week you idiot. 

Warren announcement speech notes

good:
- "9-5" as the opening song. Starting with Dolly makes me happy.
- ventriloquist dummy with a goatee is funny
- story about working women going on strike (1912 Lawrence textile strike)
- capital controls government, owners staging false flags to frame workers
- "our power, when we fight together"
- "rigged by the wealthy and well-connected" "enough is enough"
- "once he's gone, we can't pretend none of this ever happened" "our fight is for big, structural change"
- She's so god damned smart.
- constantly hammering the corrupt relationship between capital and government corruption
- Her passion for the working classes is 100% genuine and real; so awesome to see
- "the middle class squeeze is real, and millions of families can barely breathe. It's not right!"
- "Race matters, and we need to say so!"
- "and now we could be the first generation in American history where more kids do worse than their parents"
- "these same rich guys have been waging class warfare against hard-working people for decades, I say its time to fight back"
- ethics reform in government
- actually prosecute corporate criminals
- ultra millionaire tax
- Not taking a dime of PAC money. Not taking a check from a federal lobbyist. Not taking applications from billionaires who want to run Super PAC on my behalf. (Challenges all other Dem candidates to do the same. LOL GET THE FIGHT STARTED LIZ FUCK THESE NEOLIBS)
- reform racist criminal justice system
- The rich turn the working classes against each other along racial lines so they can steal from us
- Zero empty nationalism; so good
- "get ready, because change is coming faster than you think"
- story about having to potty train her daughter in 5 days in order to get affordable child-care to get to law school... this shit will kill on the stump
- she's too good for this stupid ass country

bad:
- Soyface to her left. Griffin McElroy lookin' ass motherfucker. podcast lookin' ass motherfucker. brought to you by stamps.com lookin' ass bitch. afraid to stand in line at the post office because social interaction triggers your PTSD brought on by the final season of Firefly lookin' ass motherfucker.
- You just know the black guy in the green shirt was moved politely to directly over her left shoulder.
- Loud ass lady in front of Warren needs to shut up, Jesus Christ she's insufferable
- "corruption is a cancer and we will only get rid of it with strong medicine" LOL strong medicine I see what you did there Liz
- nothing at all about foreign policy, which is fine... for now

• Like 1