Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

The world is going to be a better place when tax policy and government programs replace the traditional social support networks of community and family.  
I'm pretty fiscally conservative but this is silly. There is a huge swath of people that don't have access to family or community support networks. For those of us that do, it's nice that we can say snarky things like your quote. But lots of people don't. You're obviously a fairly affluent white guy and that's okay (I am too) but your post shows the bubble you live in.
  • Like 7

The world is going to be a better place when tax policy and government programs replace the traditional social support networks of community and family.  

Lol this is a dumb, disingenuous comment and you know it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The Gary Johnson voters find a way to hate everyone to justify their “I’m above it all” protest vote. 

The Gary Johnson voters are the worst, most self-loathing people you will find on this board. 

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Lol this is a dumb, disingenuous comment and you know it.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily nominate it for the hall of fame.  But it was a reaction to the formulation of her response and juxtaposition of her personal story with her policy proposal.

Oh and to likeability, I do agree that the personal story she shared is relatable and likeable.

Edited by Anastasis

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

You're obviously a fairly affluent white guy and that's okay (I am too) but your post shows the bubble you live in

Man, my wife and I struggled with the same things that prompted the question, and that Warren related in her story, despite having a well constituted support structure. Like I said it was relatable. I just don't think that government is the solution to all of our problems, and that government intervention, whether we are talking about universal child care or health care, generally results in unintended consequences.  In today's political environment, the notion that the government can't solve each of our problems is bubble-based thinking.    

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I just don't think that government is the solution to all of our problems, and that government intervention, whether we are talking about universal child care or health care, generally results in unintended consequences.  In today's political environment, the notion that the government can't solve each of our problems is bubble-based thinking.    

Who says it is?

These two complete garbage posts are making me IRL angry with how shitty, entitled, Republican, and South Park they are.

There is no fucking hope for centrists. To the god damned wall.

• Like 1

The concept of self government and “we the people” is easily lost in today’s political environment.   Rightfully so with decades of rampant corruption and the government being nothing more than tool for 0.01%. 

Until we get a flood of better people in it for the right reasons, I fear the anti-government/demoralization worldview will persist among the casual electorate. 

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

To the god damned wall.

If you don’t cherish the notion of turning day care into a federally regulated network answering to quality measures established by DC bureaucracy, to the god damned wall with you. 

It’s only a matter of time before the Bernie Bros defect to Warren IMO.  She has the mojo working on another level.  Time to find out how strong the Bernie cult really is.  

If she starts peeling off the Berners, the Trump cult is next.   She’s not going to win over the deplorables but she could put a dent in the better educated republican base.  

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

If you don’t cherish the notion of turning day care into a federally regulated network answering to quality measures established by DC bureaucracy, to the god damned wall with you. 

Well, yeah, because I have no idea what's wrong with the conditional clause in that sentence.

The primary reason to put your lot against the wall, however, is that after 3 years of Donald Trump and the accelerated march of murderous fascism, the brain of the centrist has learned absolutely nothing about why we're here and is just upset that the conservatives are gauche.

I'll ask again: Who thinks "that government is the solution to all our problems"?

That is the South Park Republican talking point used to destroy the middle class, depress wages, leave vulnerable communities behind, and deregulate away as  many environmental, health, and worker protections business can get away with. The fact that you say that shit unironically at this point in American history illustrates a fundamental inability to learn from events and think critically about any underlying ideas.

It's fucking pathetic.

• Like 4

Man, my wife and I struggled with the same things that prompted the question, and that Warren related in her story, despite having a well constituted support structure. Like I said it was relatable. I just don't think that government is the solution to all of our problems, and that government intervention, whether we are talking about universal child care or health care, generally results in unintended consequences.  In today's political environment, the notion that the government can't solve each of our problems is bubble-based thinking.    
Agreed on all counts. You just have to acknowledge that some people that need help have none. The government may by ineffective and shitty and wasteful but it's the only thing keeping some folks alive. Really tough gray area.

Well, yeah, because I have no idea what's wrong with the conditional clause in that sentence.

The primary reason to put your lot against the wall, however, is that after 3 years of Donald Trump and the accelerated march of murderous fascism, the brain of the centrist has learned absolutely nothing about why we're here and is just upset that the conservatives are gauche.

I'll ask again: Who thinks "that government is the solution to all our problems"?

That is the South Park Republican talking point used to destroy the middle class, depress wages, leave vulnerable communities behind, and deregulate away as  many environmental, health, and worker protections business can get away with. The fact that you say that shit unironically at this point in American history illustrates a fundamental inability to learn from events and think critically about any underlying ideas.

It's fucking pathetic.

It's not though. Our government is horribly inept at most things. And while I don't agree with him on many things philosophically, he's not wrong in saying that a state solution is less than ideal. The problem is that our society is so materialistic that without a state solution there would be nothing. So what do you do?

The "the community and church will support people" libertarian take is beyond stupid. Obviously that won't happen. But the "let's wrap our society in the caring arms of the state" answer is almost as naive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Our government is horribly inept at most things.

Complete and utter bullshit, based on nothing.

To the extent our government fails, it is generally because conservatives like you vote to hamstring and starve it.

The "the community and church will support people" libertarian take is beyond stupid. Obviously that won't happen. But the "let's wrap our society in the caring arms of the state" answer is almost as naive.

OK cool, so... what is your actual thought? Do you have any?

Does Anastasis?

Do South Park Conservatives have any actual policy ideas or solutions to real problems?

• Like 2

OK cool, so... what is your actual thought? Do you have any?

Does Anastasis?

Do South Park Conservatives have any actual policy ideas or solutions to real problems?

I do. But I've wasted enough time trying to have substantive conversation with you to know that we won't go anywhere.

I don't know what a south park conservative is. Is that an insult? You guys have moved on from shitlibs to this?

No detailed and quite specific policy thoughts at all!

BT, try keeping up with your own threads. 

"Look over here there's a center left guy arguing with a center right guy. I should alienate both of them. I will never understand why nobody sympathizes with us bros"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I do. But I've wasted enough time trying to have substantive conversation with you to know that we won't go anywhere.

lol

You're full of shit. You've got nothing.

The government very efficiently runs a dozen different agencies that keep us alive and our economy humming every day. Your life, as you live it right now, would be absolutely impossible if the government was "horribly inept at most things". You have no ability to back up that completely asinine statement.

It's why you can't answer as to what your alternative solution might be, because your stance is based on an obvious lie.

And instead of admitting that you're completely full of shit, you whine.

"Look over here there's a center left guy arguing with a center right guy. I should alienate both of them"

lol the special snowflake wants to be coddled

Would you like to speak to my manager, Tammy?

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

No detailed and quite specific policy thoughts at all!

Hey, I've asked a few times, hopefully you can answer eventually...

Who thinks "that government is the solution to all our problems"?

6 hours ago, BradInATX said:

It's not though. Our government is horribly inept at most things. And while I don't agree with him on many things philosophically, he's not wrong in saying that a state solution is less than ideal. The problem is that our society is so materialistic that without a state solution there would be nothing. So what do you do?

My daughter and I hit a Whataburger Drive-Thru today. I ordered a double meat with jalapenos and cheese and a water. Not a combo. My daughter ordered the honey chicken strip sandwich combo with a Coke. We get to the first window, and the lady reads our order back to us. Mine is correct. She has my daughter down for a three-chicken strip meal. I correct her. We get to the second window and wait forever because they had to start my daughter's order over. I ask her "What are the odds they forget my water?" They do. I get my order. No drink, even though it's a combo, so I have to ask again for my water. "What else can they get wrong?" I ask my daughter. I find out when she gets a Buffalo chicken sandwich instead of a honey BBQ. 

Our private sector is horribly inept at most things.

• Like 3

My daughter and I hit a Whataburger Drive-Thru today. I ordered a double meat with jalapenos and cheese and a water. Not a combo. My daughter ordered the honey chicken strip sandwich combo with a Coke. We get to the first window, and the lady reads our order back to us. Mine is correct. She has my daughter down for a three-chicken strip meal. I correct her. We get to the second window and wait forever because they had to start my daughter's order over. I ask her "What are the odds they forget my water?" They do. I get my order. No drink, even though it's a combo, so I have to ask again for my water. "What else can they get wrong?" I ask my daughter. I find out when she gets a Buffalo chicken sandwich instead of a honey BBQ. 
Our private sector is horribly inept at most things.
TLDR

Hey, I've asked a few times, hopefully you can answer eventually...

Who thinks "that government is the solution to all our problems"?

I have no desire to be coddled. Only one of us here lives in a gated community, tammy, you boujie ass pretender

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey Anastasis who thinks "that government is the solution to all our problems"?
Hey Brad how should we handle the poor if charity is insufficient and the government is bad at everything?
giphy.gif

Well, thanks for asking. Ideally rich white dipshits in gated communities would donate more. Barring that, ideally our government would be better at standing people up vs just enabling bad habits. Somewhere in the middle of your words and your actions is the solution.

Just now, BradInATX said:

\Well, thanks for asking. Ideally rich white dipshits in gated communities would donate more.

But they don't/won't, so...

Barring that, ideally our government would be better at standing people up vs just enabling bad habits. 

What does it mean for the government to "stand people up"?

54 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You tell me. You're the one with the moral high ground. I'm just trying to raise my kids.

More pouting and absolutely zero ideas. #sad

The larger answer is to make sure money is in people's hands so that the market can actually function and then a strong government safety net funded by taxes. But that's a little too obvious for Brain Genius Centrists, isn't it?

On 6/7/2019 at 10:46 PM, Anastasis said:

This is so hilariously uninformed about all of human history.

28 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We need more tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations. That way they will have more money, which they will then donate to charities who will take care of society. It's just logical to rely on the kindness of rich people and faceless corporations to make sure that the poor and disadvantaged are looked after. Having the government do that would be insane. If one thing has proven to be true throughout history (and especially in America) it is that you can rely on the wealthy to use their money to help society much more efficiently than the government. That's why they are rich, because they are our superiors, and therefore we need to not get in their way with a bunch of "regulations" that just hamper their ability to make money which, once again, we all just have to cross our fingers and hope they use that money to help people. It's just common sense.

HOMELESS-jumbo.jpg

45 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

This is so hilariously uninformed about all of human history.

What does modern American history tell you about the potential for unintended consequences when the federal bureaucracy takes over the national regulation and financing of a industry?  Anything informative about total costs, quality, choice, or federal spending?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

What does modern American history tell you about the potential for unintended consequences when the federal bureaucracy takes over the national regulation and financing of a industry?  Anything informative about total costs, quality, choice, or federal spending?

What does the entire arc of human history tell you about the economic progress of humanity as we've moved from small bands of hunter gatherers to organized societies with laws and standards established by strong governments to regulate economic activity? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

What does history tell you about unregulated capitalism?