Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

In the first video she doesn't say anything about abolishing private insurance. Why did you post that?

The raising the hand thing has been discussed many times here. The question and intent of the question were murky, and in Warren's followup answer she did what she has done the whole time re:healthcare, which is say a lot of platitudes but not explicitly talk about kicking people off of their corporate plans. 

Warren has never explicitly stated that she wants to abolish private insurance. Not once. I'm surprised that you think she's so incredibly inept that she has shown a complete inability to vocalize her support for getting rid of private insurance. 

Edited by BradInATX

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

I'm also proud of you for being able to do math, b_t. You were a big boy that day. Good job. I'm not sure what you thought you accomplished.

If you take home $250k+ in taxable income, you are not the "middle class" who were the focus of the questions/controversy. If you take that much home, you are part of the Top 5% income class that Bernie and Warren have been VERY explicit about targeting.

Do you actually take home $250k+ in taxable income each year, though? Statistics would say you likely don't, and if that's the case, not only would your interjection into that debate be meritless in general, it would also be dishonest in the specific.

And if you actually do make $250k+, would you sincerely argue that Warren and Sanders haven't said 4 million times that their aim was to pay for programs by raising taxes on the wealthy?

You know the answer to these questions, Brad.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If you take home $250k+ in taxable income, you are not the "middle class" who were the focus of the questions/controversy. If you take that much home, you are part of the Top 5% income class that Bernie and Warren have been VERY explicit about targeting.

Do you actually take home $250k+ in taxable income each year, though? Statistics would say you likely don't, and if that's the case, not only would your interjection into that debate be meritless in general, it would also be dishonest in the specific.

And if you actually do make $250k+, would you sincerely argue that Warren and Sanders haven't said 4 million times that their aim was to pay for programs by raising taxes on the wealthy?

You know the answer to these questions, Brad.

I know you lose touch with real people with real jobs in your little gated silver spooner community, but $250k is nowhere near rich in any major metropolitan area in this country.

Except for Detroit and anywhere in Ohio, I guess. 

Edited by BradInATX

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I know you lose touch with real people with real jobs in your little gated silver spooner community, but $250k is nowhere near rich in any major metropolitan area in this country.

lol this makes absolutely no sense

For me to have lost touch (which is probably true) due to being surrounded by wealth, then I would think that $250k/yr is middle class stuff because that's what I'm surrounded by. My losing touch wouldn't be that I think $250k is way too much. Your Republican brain is glitching.

(Also, do you actually bring home $250k+ a year in taxable income?)

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

And where has Warren been explicit about "targeting the 95th percentile and above"? As far as I've seen, only Bernie has done that.

She literally has a wealth tax. She has proposed raising the taxes of those, ironically starting at $250k/yr, to beef up Social Security.

Criticism and pressure from the Left? Awesome.
Criticism and pressure from the right? No thank you.

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

lol this makes absolutely no sense

For me to have lost touch (which is probably true) due to being surrounded by wealth, then I would think that $250k/yr is middle class stuff because that's what I'm surrounded by. My losing touch wouldn't be that I think $250k is way too much. Your Republican brain is glitching.

(Also, do you actually bring home $250k+ a year in taxable income?)

She literally has a wealth tax. She has proposed raising the taxes of those, ironically starting at $250k/yr, to beef up Social Security.

Criticism and pressure from the Left? Awesome.
Criticism and pressure from the right? No thank you.

Her proposal for taxing combined household income starts at $400k, not $250k. Reading, how does it work?

23 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Her proposal for taxing combined household income starts at $400k, not $250k. Reading, how does it work?

Do you actually bring in $250k+/yr in taxable income? Were you right or wrong about the M4A tax actually making you pay more?

rEaDiNg HoW dOeS iT wOrK

She would eliminate the income cap on Social Security taxes for those earning more than $250,000 a year, imposing a 14.8% levy on incomes above that amount, split evenly between employers and employees.

Isn't it funny how bad Republicans always are at discussing tax policy? Usually they do something idiotic like fail to understand how progressive taxation works, but this is pretty good.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Do you actually bring in $250k+/yr in taxable income? Were you right or wrong about the M4A tax actually making you pay more?

rEaDiNg HoW dOeS iT wOrK

She would eliminate the income cap on Social Security taxes for those earning more than $250,000 a year, imposing a 14.8% levy on incomes above that amount, split evenly between employers and employees.

Isn't it funny how bad Republicans always are at discussing tax policy? Usually they do something idiotic like fail to understand how progressive taxation works, but this is pretty good.

Do you understand the difference between individual income and a household income?

Don't answer, it was rhetorical. Go re-read the article and think about it a bit. You'll get there big guy.

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Do you understand the difference between individual income and a household income?

The SS tax is not contingent on overall household income. It is base solely on individual income. That's just how it is structured.

You're embarrassing yourself, Republican.

I'm going to take your lack of answering as a "no", which means that basically every aspect of your arguments are either factually incorrect or outright lies. Like, from top to bottom everything you're saying is BS.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The SS tax is not contingent on overall household income. It is base solely on individual income. That's just how it is structured.

You're embarrassing yourself, Republican.

Of course it is. Which is why I asked if you understand the difference between individual and household income. We've been talking about household income the entire time with the $250k number. Now you've switched the conversation to individual income. I know you're stupid, but try to follow along with  me here.

Original M4A Discussion: 4% tax on household income (thus $250k household income)

You: "Warren wants to wealth tax you then because your household income is >$250k"

Me: "Wrong, her plan is for individuals making over $250k, not households"

You: "Her plan is for individuals making over $250k!! You're embarassing yourself"

Edited by BradInATX

I'm going to use actual quotes, because unlike you I know what I'm talking about and not scrambling to make things up because I don't know how to stop digging myself out of a hole.

-------------------------------------------

Brad: "And where has Warren been explicit about "targeting the 95th percentile and above"?"

Me: "She literally has a wealth tax. She has proposed raising the taxes of those, ironically starting at $250k/yr, to beef up Social Security."

Brad: "Do you understand the difference between individual income and a household income?"

--------------------------------------------

You asked for an example of Warren targeting the 95th percentile. I provided. Then you bring up the distinction between individual and household income, which is meaningless in the context of this discussion, because an individual income of $250k+ will also qualify that household for the same 95th percentage status.

You're trying to cloud the issue in a very Trumpian fashion, which makes sense what with you being a Republican and all.

I had zero investment in Bernard until mid 2015, but I've been hootin' and hollerin' for single-payer as a presidential candidate policy since I did a tiny bit of work for Nader 2000. It's why Obama captured my heart.

Give me a candidate with the same (or better) healthcare policy, the same (or better) housing policy, the same (or better) wealth taxation policy, and a strong anti-interventionist foreign policy (cutting aid to Israel until they abandon all settlements and return to pre-1967 borders, for instance) and my eye will wander very quickly.

These hoes ain't loyal, and neither am I. Someone can steal me from Bernard by moving to his left credibly and consistently.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm going to use actual quotes, because unlike you I know what I'm talking about and not scrambling to make things up because I don't know how to stop digging myself out of a hole.

-------------------------------------------

Brad: "And where has Warren been explicit about "targeting the 95th percentile and above"?"

Me: "She literally has a wealth tax. She has proposed raising the taxes of those, ironically starting at $250k/yr, to beef up Social Security."

Brad: "Do you understand the difference between individual income and a household income?"

--------------------------------------------

You asked for an example of Warren targeting the 95th percentile. I provided. Then you bring up the distinction between individual and household income, which is meaningless in the context of this discussion, because an individual income of $250k+ will also qualify that household for the same 95th percentage status.

You're trying to cloud the issue in a very Trumpian fashion, which makes sense what with you being a Republican and all.

$250,000 is not 95th percentile for individual income. It's 98th percentile, which is quite different than 95th. You were doing so good with math for awhile too. Keep working at it, you'll get there.

You got confused and mixed up household and individual incomes and got yourself twisted up in a circular argument with y ourself. It's okay champ, there's always next time. Math and logic aren't for everyone but if you keep at it maybe you'll figure it out. I believe in you! Enjoy your weekend.

Edited by BradInATX

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

$250,000 is not 95th percentile for individual income. It's 98th percentile, which is quite different than 95th. You were doing so good with math for awhile too. Keep working at it, you'll get there.

You got confused and mixed up household and individual incomes and got yourself twisted in a dumb argument with yourself. It's okay champ, there's always next time. Enjoy your weekend.

brain genius Republican arguing that people in the 98th percentile aren't also in the 95th percentile

lol owns

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

brain genius Republican arguing that people in the 98th percentile aren't also in the 95th percentile

lol owns

So if Warren taxes the top 98%, and I'm the 95th percentile, will I get taxed?

LMAO. You really are the stupidest motherfucker on this board. Damn, son. Maybe your parents should have sent you to public school because whichever private school you went to has horribly failed you.

Edited by BradInATX

Desperation is a stinky cologne, Brad.

Warren (like Bernie) has made it very clear that she will target the wealthy with taxes to pay for social programs and other reform agenda items. 95th+ percentile qualifies for this. 98th+ percentile qualifies for this. 90th+ percentile qualifies for this.

- You argued that M4A would result in a net increase in spending from the middle class. That was a lie.
- You argued that your personal costs would increase. That was also a lie.

Your entire entrance into this topic is either factually inaccurate or just a flat-out lie.

Please stop attacking the 2020 Democratic candidates from the right. There are great forums like TigerDroppings for people who share your politics.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Desperation is a stinky cologne, Brad.

Warren (like Bernie) has made it very clear that she will target the wealthy with taxes to pay for social programs and other reform agenda items. 95th+ percentile qualifies for this. 98th+ percentile qualifies for this. 90th+ percentile qualifies for this.

- You argued that M4A would result in a net increase in spending from the middle class. That was a lie.
- You argued that your personal costs would increase. That was also a lie.

Your entire entrance into this topic is either factually inaccurate or just a flat-out lie.

Please stop attacking the 2020 Democratic candidates from the right. There are great forums like TigerDroppings for people who share your politics.

Wrong.

You said Warren will tax the 95th percentile. I asked you to show me where. You showed me that she will tax the 98th percentile. Ergo your argument that she will tax the 95th percentile was wrong. You can flail around like a child as much as you want, but it won't change that you are wrong.

Just take the beating and move on. You're used to it by now. Please feel free to get the last idiotic word in to perhaps impress all 5 people who don't have you on ignore.

Edited by BradInATX

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

rEaDiNg HoW dOeS iT wOrK

Actually this tax is not split between employees and employers.  Think of it as a 100% tax on the additional employee earnings of 7.4% paid for by the employee and withdrawn from the employees check and handled by the employer just  like other 7.4 tax on 100% of earnings (below x amount).  i.e it is all the employees contribution just two different tax rates.

If the distinction between 95th percentile and 98th percentile is meaningful, why not pick that nit earlier in the conversation? I got that initial percentile wrong by 3 points, I am very happy to acknowledge that with further research.

Can you explain how that distinction is meaningful?

Brad, do you actually make $250k+ in taxable income a year, which is what would be required when you said that M4A taxes would result in a net increase in your costs? Or were you lying?

20 minutes ago, Mapache said:

I haven’t posted any but I love these videos and holy fuck is this the most brilliant way to campaign and raise money?   

Twitter+Video Camera+Cell Phone+Donor list.  

It’s just her sitting in her kitchen calling random donors but I’m somehow captivated by it. 

One thing I wouldn't mind hearing her say is something like this.

"Healthcare in America needs fixing.  There's no question about that.  It is an immensely complicated problem and soundbite solutions like "Medicare for all" don't really do the problem or its solution justice.

I can say that I favor removing or minimizing the role of private insurance in healthcare.  I favor vesting a single (or very few) entity with pricing or negotiation power with healthcare providers nationwide.  I favor universal coverage, etc."

The reason I say this is that I don't believe that most of her plans are pandering.  Most of the healthcare plans offered by the candidates are unrealistic pandering.

Her whole ideology and campaign platform is centered around leveling the playing field by going on an anti-corruption jihad and taxing the insanely wealthy.  

Unlike Bernie, she is not running on healthcare as a central pillar of her immediate agenda because she knows you can’t get shit done until you put the locks on the doors and un-compromise the legislative process. That is her #1 issue. 

Her position on healthcare is a single payer system, that’s what she believes, will fight for and defend but she’s not under any illusions that she’s going to get Medicare-for-All passed upon being elect to office.  In fact, that would more likely be a second term goal.  

Everyone keeps making healthcare an issue for her with the questions and scrutiny but it’s not a defining element of her campaign.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

for better or worse, the candidates don't get to decide the issues that are important to voters.

It’s fair game for sure but the idea she HAS to have a detailed healthcare plan right this minute is a bit insane.  

Yeah, she has a plan for that, except healthcare, because everyone and their mother has a healthcare plan.  She’s already on the record endorsing the plan she likes most, Bernie’s.  She doesn’t need to copy/paste someone else’s plan to her website when she can just defend Bernie’s plan.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
Their

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s fair game for sure but the idea she HAS to have a detailed healthcare plan right this minute is a bit insane.

right.  of course i wasn't saying that.  maybe a bunch of people on twitter have been or something.

i just think it's interesting that you say "everyone keeps making healthcare an issue for her, with the questions and scrutiny."

maybe they're making it an issue for her because she's a frontrunner and it's the #1 issue for democratic voters right now.  this isn't them finding something silly and picking on it.  there's a difference.