Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

28 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Posting this video because it’s the only time I’ve heard Bruce Mann (Elizabeth Warren’s husband) speak.  He is everything you’d expect (modest, supportive, and stays the fuck out of the way).

I actually know him somewhat (I've never met her though).  I can personally vouch for him being a great, genuine, and brilliant guy.   Totally not a politician type, and I find it sort of funny to see him in this position. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i just think it's interesting that you say "everyone keeps making healthcare an issue for her, with the questions and scrutiny."

maybe they're making it an issue for her because she's a frontrunner and it's the #1 issue for democratic voters right now.  this isn't them finding something silly and picking on it.  there's a difference.

Her opponents and their minions are making healthcare an issue for her because it’s the easiest way to differentiate, the media plays along and harps on Warren’s healthcare position.

giphy.gif

I can’t complain because she is the front runner but I can make the observation. 

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Her opponents and their minions are making healthcare an issue for her because it’s the easiest way to differentiate, the media plays along and harps on Warren’s healthcare position.

giphy.gif

I can’t complain because she is the front runner but I can make the observation. 

sigh.

are you really going to make me side with bad teammate on this one?

you're making it very difficult for me to do the right thing here.

Just describing what I’m seeing, I could be wrong and you can disagree, it won’t hurt my feelings.

Warren has done a decent job defending her position on healthcare, all things considered because she’s leaned into advocating for Medicare for All instead of running away from it. 

The consequence, however, is the healthcare debate sucks up oxygen from the other parts of her platform she can be pushing. 

23 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

hugo yesterday - "m4a is important to her, she advocates for it several times per day!"

hugo today - "why are all of her competitors, their supporters, and the media conspiring to try to make healthcare an issue for her, when it's not even a defining element of her campaign?"

chris crocker crying GIF

Now you’re just trolling.

Healthcare is the number 1 issue for voters.  It should be the biggest part of the debate on the campaign trail.  

Warren’s message is that you have to change the rules in Washington before you can get any solution on healthcare (or climate, or guns, or student loan relief).   Her destination is a single payer system but the path get there has road blocks that need to be taken out first.  

This message gets lost when everyone is hyper focused the minutiae of specific plans that have no chance of passing. (because the law making process is compromised.)

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Now you’re just trolling.

nope, just having some fun with you until the astros game starts (it's a late game tonight).  have i said anything untrue?

i like warren a lot, but i don't think there's bands of people lining up against her in some sort of unfair way.  and no, i don't think the media is in on it.  maybe take a twitter break for a while, it distorts your perspective.

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

but i don't think there's bands of people lining up against her in some sort of unfair way.  and no, i don't think the media is in on it.  maybe take a twitter break for a while, it distorts your perspective.

Maybe learn to read because I never claimed she was being treated unfairly.  

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Maybe learn to read because I never claimed she was being treated unfairly.  

yes, i'm the one here who needs to be more consistent.

you said "the media plays along" with her "opponents and minions" while they "try to make healthcare an issue for her."  clearly you meant they were just doing their job and reporting things warmly and accurately.  disregarding the other times you've insisted that the msm has been giving her a hard time (when they haven't) and citing specific examples of people coming on msnbc (i guess) and cnn (which they didn't, but you walked back) and saying a bunch of mean things (which i still haven't seen evidence to back up).

i used the phrase "in some sort of unfair way" because the phrase "bands of people lining up against her" is accurate - there are all the people she's running against and their supporters.

but yes, from now on, i'll remember that you've never claimed she's being treated unfairly.  my mistake.

I was countering the comments that the media has done nothing but fawn over her.  

The MSM is overall trash and not a good source of campaign coverage.  

“Unfairness” suggests that others are getting preferential treatment over her.  I don’t think that’s the case at all.  

The media does an awful job of covering all the candidates. Pointing out their bullshit in relation to Warren does not mean that she’s being treated unfairly or they’re out to get her.  It just means they fucking suck in general. 

i think the media has done plenty of fawning over her, mostly because she's a quality candidate who's running a great campaign.

i understand that sometimes the far left/progressives are so trained to hate the media that they get suspicious when the coverage is positive, but i see nothing wrong with earned positive coverage.  it also doesn't imply that she hasn't fought hard to earn the polling points.  i believe she has.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mapache said:

I just donated, expecting my call soon 😉

Say you get selected for a call.  Will they give you a heads-up, where you have maybe a minute or two to find a quiet, lockable room where nobody can see you? And do the phone calls last on average at least between 20-30 seconds?

11 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Warren gobbled up a lot of the hardcore Hillary supporters. They will do their best to make a mess of this. 

RigidThirdLangur-size_restricted.gif

This is our concern, dude.

To maintain discipline against the professional elite classes, a campaign and leader have to be firm in their beliefs and values. Otherwise, the idealism of the campaign becomes, like it did under Obama, an embarrassing hindrance to getting on with business as usual.

When I say things like, "Warren deserves better champions" or take giant shits on Brad the Republican, this is why. Anything good that might come from Warren will be actively fought against from within when it comes time to do the work.

This is the HUGE problem with Warren saying she'll take dirty money during the general. The wealth classes don't just give away their money for fun. People expect their views and values to be represented. When Warren is needing to staff up and fill up the government after purging Trump's monsters, who is going to have Highly Qualified candidates with Real Experience lined up for her? Her big money donors and the Democratic establishment that (1) got us into this mess and (2) she has been working to ingratiate herself with.

This might seem silly, but think about the difference between "She has a plan for that" and "Not me, us". Like Obama, the Warren campaign is heavily dependent on the personality force at the center. Obama trusted his own goodness and skill to counterbalance any kind of negative corporatist influence, and that was a massive failure. The concern with Warren is a repeat. There is only so much she can do individually, so it can't all hinge on her, it has to be a cohesive movement from bottom to top.

Another aspect of the Hillary base that's worrying is their completely superficial and 100% cynical embrace of social justice causes. Warren doesn't have a deep (or basically any) real grounding in social justice causes, and her focus has been entirely financial/regulatory from the 1970s to 2018. She's run around in a rainbow boa and she's got rainbow-soled Converse on the campaign trail, but what connections does she have to social/racial justice figures and causes that will be competing against the brigade of mostly-white professional class monied elites (or servants of the elites) that the Hillary/DNC crew will be pushing on her?

There's only so much faith you can reasonably have in an individual personality to resist the bad influences they surround themselves with.

The MSNBC clip is an obvious and glaring example, but that's just one of that set saying the quiet part loud. They don't care about any of these issues aside from posturing against their less-woke competitors in the social climbing competition.

Cedar Rapids lawmaker endorses Warren

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/government/cedar-rapids-lawmaker-endorses-warren-20190927

CEDAR RAPIDS — A Cedar Rapids early childhood educator has endorsed the presidential bid of Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, citing her plans for affordable, universal child care and pre-K.

“As an early childhood educator and advocate, I want our next president to understand the importance of child care and early education to our children, our families and our economy,” state Rep. Tracy Ehlert, D-Cedar Rapids, said. “Elizabeth Warren will be that president.”

Warren wants to improve the quality of child care while also raising ages for teachers and caregivers, said Ehlert, a freshman lawmaker representing House 70, which includes portions of Cedar Rapids and rural Linn County.

Warren welcomed the endorsement from Ehlert who “represents a new generation of leadership that is fighting to rebuild the middle class and ensure opportunity for all in Iowa.”

Ehlert has spent her career focused on early childhood education and advocating for children, working in the Cedar Rapids Community School District, serving as a continuing education instructor at Kirkwood Community College and operating Babies 2 Kids Learning Center for more than 10 years.

Ehlert joins a host of other Eastern Iowa public officials who have endorsed Warren’s campaign, including Reps. Liz Bennett of Cedar Rapids and Lindsay James of Dubuque, Sen. Joe Bolkcom and Johnson County Supervisor Rod Sullivan.

14 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Cedar Rapids lawmaker endorses Warren

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/government/cedar-rapids-lawmaker-endorses-warren-20190927

CEDAR RAPIDS — A Cedar Rapids early childhood educator has endorsed the presidential bid of Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, citing her plans for affordable, universal child care and pre-K.

“As an early childhood educator and advocate, I want our next president to understand the importance of child care and early education to our children, our families and our economy,” state Rep. Tracy Ehlert, D-Cedar Rapids, said. “Elizabeth Warren will be that president.”

Warren wants to improve the quality of child care while also raising ages for teachers and caregivers, said Ehlert, a freshman lawmaker representing House 70, which includes portions of Cedar Rapids and rural Linn County.

Warren welcomed the endorsement from Ehlert who “represents a new generation of leadership that is fighting to rebuild the middle class and ensure opportunity for all in Iowa.”

Ehlert has spent her career focused on early childhood education and advocating for children, working in the Cedar Rapids Community School District, serving as a continuing education instructor at Kirkwood Community College and operating Babies 2 Kids Learning Center for more than 10 years.

Ehlert joins a host of other Eastern Iowa public officials who have endorsed Warren’s campaign, including Reps. Liz Bennett of Cedar Rapids and Lindsay James of Dubuque, Sen. Joe Bolkcom and Johnson County Supervisor Rod Sullivan.

Is this person significant to the race? 

23 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Is this person significant to the race? 

It’s only significant because it’s Iowa.  If this person was from Louisiana or Nebraska, I wouldn’t have posted it. 

Iowa is the first battleground so every endorsement there is more significant than anywhere else right now.

Bringing up the issue of Warren's false claims about NA heritage is not racist. Warren isn't NA, so how could it be racist?

Going into the general election with "If you don't support Warren you're sexist" or "If you question her for falsely claiming NA status you're racist" is bad strategy and the Warren supporters who do it should stop. Warren herself wouldn't say or condone either of those things.

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's new to me that she talked about her parents being involved in a shotgun wedding (I thought it was like her great-great-grandparents or something) and I also didn't know it was all made up anyway.

New to me as well and we both follow this shit closer than 99% of people. Not good. 

I for one applaud BT for using Republican talking points against Warren during the Democratic primary. It's good to know what the Democratic nominee is going to be up against.
It's not like Bernie has a chance in hell of making it much further than the Iowa caucuses anyway.
Guys if we pretend hard enough then all the bad things go away. Just ask President Hillary Clinton.