Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

5 hours ago, Celery Man said:

There are multiple wrestling stars who would be a more fit and competent president than the one we have. Terry Crews would be a better president.

Sadly--and this says nothing about wrestling stars-- most wrestling stars would be more fit and competent than our current President. 

Ashlee Marie Preston is getting annihilated right now for 8+-year-old racist/homophobic Tweets, and it sucks. Weaponizing cancel culture and weaponizing identity to serve some kind of other end is pathetic.

She's a trans woman suffering from drug addiction, and while the things she said are terrible, the idea of just erasing human beings for being terrible in the past is toxic and ultimately pointless.

We are going to have to find a more productive way to deal with social media. This isn't working.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Ashlee Marie Preston is getting annihilated right now for 8+-year-old racist/homophobic Tweets, and it sucks. Weaponizing cancel culture and weaponizing identity to serve some kind of other end is pathetic.

She's a trans woman suffering from drug addiction, and while the things she said are terrible, the idea of just erasing human beings for being terrible in the past is toxic and ultimately pointless.

We are going to have to find a more productive way to deal with social media. This isn't working.

Agreed, 100%.  People have to be allowed learn from their mistakes.  

8 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Agreed, 100%.  People have to be allowed learn from their mistakes.  

I think Trump can actually teach us something here: Don't just say, "OK I'm sorry I quit." Stand by your people until the internal heat is too high. Ignore/attack the people who are just weaponizing things against you.

There's a universe in which the Warren campaign doesn't let her go as a surrogate and says, "We know these words were hurtful and we are moving forward with this person as we grow and learn together," but these political campaigns don't feel like they can do that in the current structure of cancel culture and social media mobs.

It's the whole "reaction shot" logic. If the campaigns cut ties with these people it creates the impression that they should have cut ties and that these people are bad. Warren fired a guy for harassing women in the campaign, that's legit because he was hurting people. But someone who said some dumb/racist/sexist things a decade ago and was originally seen by 10 people and is clearly different now? Come on. It's a learning opportunity.

We all scoff at the white guys who get #CANCELLED (like the guy fired from SNL), but it's going to take non-white/non-men getting #CANCELLED constantly for a reckoning among a certain type of social warrior.

People should get second chances and an opportunity to learn, but most of the fallout seems to falls on people who didn't repent until it was about to cost them a job or spotlight or whatever, which makes it seem less than genuine.  If you live your life publicly and have shared opinions that you now want to disavow, you should go ahead and do it as a result of some heartfelt self-reflection rather than hoping that nobody unearths your comments when it is inconvenient.  And yes, that can be the result of calculation, too, but at least you are voluntarily taking your lumps. 

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

I think Trump can actually teach us something here: Don't just say, "OK I'm sorry I quit." Stand by your people until the internal heat is too high. Ignore/attack the people who are just weaponizing things against you.

There's a universe in which the Warren campaign doesn't let her go as a surrogate and says, "We know these words were hurtful and we are moving forward with this person as we grow and learn together," but these political campaigns don't feel like they can do that in the current structure of cancel culture and social media mobs.

It's the whole "reaction shot" logic. If the campaigns cut ties with these people it creates the impression that they should have cut ties and that these people are bad. Warren fired a guy for harassing women in the campaign, that's legit because he was hurting people. But someone who said some dumb/racist/sexist things a decade ago and was originally seen by 10 people and is clearly different now? Come on. It's a learning opportunity.

We all scoff at the white guys who get #CANCELLED (like the guy fired from SNL), but it's going to take non-white/non-men getting #CANCELLED constantly for a reckoning among a certain type of social warrior.

You make good points, but a couple of things. 

1. This is what happens when you run a purity test campaign. Progressives are the kings/queens of cancel culture on social media, and they'd be OBLITERATING Biden, Harris, or Buttigieg if this was one of their surrogates. As the controversy stands right now, it's really the Bernie supporters that are giving Preston the most grief (at least from what I've seen). 

2. She shouldn't be "canceled". But at this point should she be a public surrogate that campaigns for Warren and champions/pitches her values in the media? I don't think so. 

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is really good interview and captures a lot of what I see as the fundamental problems in our economy and government. She understands the problem and appears to have the policy and political chops to fix it. There will be strong headwinds--as powerful interests are benefiting immensely under the current system--but she has a chance. And if she fails, we're basically resigning ourselves to a sort of corporatism/oligarchy for the forseeable future. 

Foer: But markets right now are doing a good job of producing wealth. Yes?

Warren: Right.

Foer: In your description, that’s markets working.

Warren: The problem is that when the rules are not enforced, when the markets are not level playing fields, all that wealth is scraped in one direction. For example, leading up to the financial crash, there were a lot of mortgage brokers out there selling mortgages. Wow, did they get rich doing it. Families thought they were buying a product they could afford, whose payments they understood. Many of them lost everything. That’s a market that clearly was not working. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, after it passed, the first thing we did there at the bureau was to put new rules in place about mortgages. Not so that you could control the mortgage market, but so that the market would work.

Foer: There are all these hints of Louis Brandeis in what you do. Brandeis had a vision of how the economy could be structured differently when the rules that he wanted were applied. He  favored the small shopkeeper. In your vision, who gets favored? Are there forces in the market that you feel like are being unfairly shackled that you want to see unleashed?

Warren: Yes. Perfect. Competition. I love competition. I want to see every start-up business, everybody who’s got a good idea, have a chance to get in the market and try. This is what's so interesting to me. There are so many people right now who argue against these reforms and other reforms, who claim they are pro-business. They’re not. They’re pro-monopoly. They’re pro–concentration of power, which crushes competition.

This is where the political and the economic interact. Once a corporation climbs up the ladder so that it’s got hundreds of millions—no, so that it’s got billions of dollars in resources—today too many of them turn around and use those resources to influence government to cut off that ladder, so nobody else climbs it. To cut off that ladder so that the big guys don’t have to compete with the little guys anymore.

When Big Pharma rolls into Washington and gets a law passed that says that the federal government cannot negotiate down the prices of drugs, then democracy is not working for families. When the big [coal] companies can get a new rule out of the EPA that will increase particulates in the air and trigger over 100,000 premature deaths, then democracy is not working for the American people. So you are exactly right. Everything I’m working on is about giving individuals the opportunity, the liberty to participate in this economy and in the governance of this country. I love this stuff. Isn’t this stuff fun?

• Like 2

I would be interested to know when or where Liz would point to indicate a time where capitalism was functioning in the manner she describes.

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

People should get second chances and an opportunity to learn, but most of the fallout seems to falls on people who didn't repent until it was about to cost them a job or spotlight or whatever, which makes it seem less than genuine.

I think Preston changed a lot from those Tweets to today.

25 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

1. This is what happens when you run a purity test campaign. Progressives are the kings/queens of cancel culture on social media, and they'd be OBLITERATING Biden, Harris, or Buttigieg if this was one of their surrogates. As the controversy stands right now, it's really the Bernie supporters that are giving Preston the most grief (at least from what I've seen).

I don't follow this at all. Any campaign having a surrogate with those Tweets would be pressed.

Are you saying that a Klobuchar surrogate with that history would be ignored? I'm genuinely confused.

2. She shouldn't be "canceled". But at this point should she be a public surrogate that campaigns for Warren and champions/pitches her values in the media? I don't think so. 

Sure, but that's a calculation. "I am aware of this, but I am also aware of how people need a chance to move forward..." is another option. And, given the current nature of social media's pervasiveness, one we should think about.

12 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't follow this at all. Any campaign having a surrogate with those Tweets would be pressed.

Are you saying that a Klobuchar surrogate with that history would be ignored? I'm genuinely confused.

Progressive media outlets and journalists would be ripping apart the "centrist" Ds if Preston was one of their surrogates and this stuff came out. Preston appears on The Young Turks frequently. Silence on their end and not much chatter outside of Red Rose Twitter sniping. 

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Sure, but that's a calculation. "I am aware of this, but I am also aware of how people need a chance to move forward..." is another option. And, given the current nature of social media's pervasiveness, one we should think about.

Please pass this wisdom on to progressives on social media, please. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Progressive media outlets and journalists would be ripping apart the "centrist" Ds if Preston was one of their surrogates and this stuff came out. Preston appears on The Young Turks frequently. Silence on their end and not much chatter outside of Red Rose Twitter sniping.

So the "Red Rose Twitter" group isn't progressive?

Everyone tears everyone else apart, it isn't the case that centrists/conservatives are just very nice and mean 'ole progressives drag people. Bernie's campaign had to fire a guy for making a crass video where he spliced MLK audio to make it sound like he was swearing, and I think it's pretty safe to say Bernie is progressive.

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Please pass this wisdom on to progressives on social media, please.

Progressives invented social shaming. Conservatives and centrists have never engaged in such behavior. lol

16 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I'm trying to like Warren but she still is kind of a beating.

75% is probably simple sexism and the other 25% is that I just don't like self-righteous know-it-all harpies.

This is exactly the same boat I was in and luckily there's a solution. What if I told you there is another candidate out there who has very similar positions as Warren, but, and this part is key, is NOT a woman. In fact, he's an old white man. Is that something that might interest you?

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

This is exactly the same boat I was in and luckily there's a solution. What if I told you there is another candidate out there who has very similar positions as Warren, but, and this part is key, is NOT a woman. In fact, he's an old white man. Is that something that might interest you?

DH7_Qla1Vcu0Cmkj3xDsELNG2K7Iy2uj6NN-csvL

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Although I"m a shit ton more conservative than all the Dems, it's mostly Warren's style. 

31 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

75% is probably simple sexism and the other 25% is that I just don't like self-righteous know-it-all harpies.

8 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Although I"m a shit ton more conservative than all the Dems, it's mostly Warren's style. 

Not sure why you are trying to like her then.

37 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Like’s got nothing to do with it.  She’ll be a badass president and a huge upgrade over the current administration. And that’s true whether you like her or not.  

Treating elections like a god damned middle school student council race is a big part of why we’re in this fucking mess. Voting for the lovable dope got us a just-plain dope (W) and voting against the harpy got us a traitor hellbent on burning this country to the ground.  Vote for the best candidate for the job.  You’re never going to have a beer with the President anyway.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Boy, you fucktards get riled pretty easily.

Yes. Good. Harness that rage. I'll send you a few burner Twitter accounts and you can get started harassing women and POCs online. Do a good job with that and before you know it you'll be living in Brooklyn and ironically going to DSA meetings. Just remember, anyone who attacks our Glorious Leader must be destroyed. Welcome fellow Bernie Bro. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Ignore the medium and listen to the message, then? She had to appear know-it-all or no one would listen to her at Harvard or anywhere else. It's probably hard to change that after so much time has passed. She is a good egg. Not perfect, but better than scrambled Trump.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Yes. Good. Harness that rage. I'll send you a few burner Twitter accounts and you can get started harassing women and POCs online. Do a good job with that and before you know it you'll be living in Brooklyn and ironically going to DSA meetings. Just remember, anyone who attacks our Glorious Leader must be destroyed. Welcome fellow Bernie Bro. 

Enemies:
- Broads
- Podcasts with broads in them
- Dames
- The Yankees
- That guy who got @JohnLenin before I could register it
- Chicks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

I would like to see Trump losing his shit if somebody like Mattis was in the VP slot.   

The problem with a lot of these high profile ex-military guys is they’ve moved into the lobbying and corporate board sector after service, this includes Mattis and Kelly.  Warren would never pick someone with an obvious conflict of interest like that.  In fact, it’s precisely that revolving door she’s trying to close. 

• Like 1