Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

New Plan:

CONTINUED:

Funding for public schools is inadequate and inequitable, and our schools are more segregated now than decades ago. We don't treat teachers and staff like professionals, and we're diverting money from public schools. It's time to live up to our promise of a good public education.

I’ll start—as I promised in May—by replacing Betsy DeVos with a Secretary of Education who has been a public school teacher, believes in public education, and will listen to our public school teachers, parents, and students.

Next, I'll make sure that we fund schools adequately and equitably by quadrupling Title I funding—investing an additional $450 billion over the next 10 years—and working with public education leaders and school finance experts to ensure that this money is allocated equitably.

And we'll provide more funding for IDEA grants, repairing and improving school facilities and infrastructure, developing sustainable community schools, and providing grants to public schools for the programs and resources that are most important to their students.

Integrated schools improve educational outcomes for students of all races. And integrated schools are demanded by our Constitution. My administration will fund integration efforts, strengthen Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and robustly enforce it.

My administration will also protect the rights of students with disabilities, LGBTQ+ students, English Language Learners, and immigrant students and their families so that every kid has access to a high-quality public education.

I'll ensure that every student has the opportunity to learn in a welcoming and safe public school. That's why my administration will eliminate high-stakes testing, invest in evidenced-based school safety, and end zero-tolerance discipline policies.

I will also push to cancel all existing student meal debt and increase federal funding to school meal programs so that students everywhere can get free and nutritious school meals.

My administration will work with states to sustainably increase the pay of teachers, paraprofessionals, school staff, and school leaders, and ensure that they have the resources they need. And I'll strengthen their ability to organize and bargain collectively.

We must stop the privatization of public schools. My administration will end federal funding for the expansion of charter schools, ban for-profit charter schools, and ensure existing charter schools are held to the same level of transparency and accountability as public schools.

It's time to live up to the promise of a high-quality public education for every student. My plan makes big, structural changes that would help give every student the resources that they need to thrive.

25 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

I really feel for the .07% of Americans who will be taxed $.02 per dollar while working families go broke trying to replace a set of tires or buy eyeglasses for their 3rd-grader.

Great, NOW who is going to buy all the private islands grown by hard-working private island farmers in the Midwest???

9 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

It’s completely disingenuous to compare current statistical distributions of students to government enforced segregation.

Guess what?  First generation Americans are statistically less affluent than other Americans.  Thats not fucking racism.  

Keep on keeping on comrade.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

44 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

It’s completely disingenuous to compare current statistical distributions of students to government enforced segregation.

Guess what?  First generation Americans are statistically less affluent than other Americans.  Thats not fucking racism.  

"It's completely disingenuous to compare voting ID requirements to poll taxes."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I'm confused by your comment. When school boards draw school boundaries after a new school opens, if the Board only examines one parameter when determining attendance zones, it is easy to perpetuate racial and socioeconomic divisions.

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Didn't hear anything about Nina Turner basically calling Warren gutless on Saturday until seeing this

I didn’t take that as a shot at Warren.  Really more of an indictment of Bernie because he lost.  Good going Bernie, showing real courage in your failure. 

23 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I'm confused by your comment. When school boards draw school boundaries after a new school opens, if the Board only examines one parameter when determining attendance zones, it is easy to perpetuate racial and socioeconomic divisions.

What percentage of students attend “new schools”?

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I didn’t take that as a shot at Warren.  Really more of an indictment of Bernie because he lost.  Good going Bernie, showing real courage in your failure. 

What. The. Fuck?

It was def a shot at both Warren and Biden for sitting out 2016. 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

What. The. Fuck?

It was def a shot at both Warren and Biden for sitting out 2016. 

Perhaps but I’m not offended.  Bernie’s surrogates credit claiming for his failed campaign is a weird flex considering his chances of success were enhanced without Warren or Biden in the race. 

On 10/21/2019 at 10:44 AM, 406W30th said:

I really feel for the .07% of Americans who will be taxed $.02 per dollar after their 50 MILLIONTH DOLLAR while working families go broke trying to replace a set of tires or buy eyeglasses for their 3rd-grader.

23 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

fixed

fixed again

big new yorker piece:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/the-political-scene/the-french-economist-who-helped-invent-elizabeth-warrens-wealth-tax?utm_source=pocket-newtab

At rallies, she asks the crowd how many people own their own homes, and, once hands are in the air, points out that most Americans already pay a wealth tax on their biggest asset, they just call it a property tax

i've been pointing this out.  "we have a wealth tax, but it's only on one particular kind of wealth, and that's the kind of wealth that middle class households store most of their wealth as, so it's also regressive."

The real resonance between Zucman and Saez’s proposals and the Presidential campaign of Elizabeth Warren, the champion of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, may be in their shared optimism about what the modern American administrative state can accomplish. When I asked William Gale, the co-director of the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center, what distinguished Saez and Zucman from the center-left policymakers who had preceded them, he mentioned two elements. First, he said, they wanted steeper taxes on the wealthy than even most progressives in Washington—they were left, not center-left. The second difference, Gale said, was more pronounced. “What I would describe as the previous center-left consensus is that we ought to raise taxes on the very rich, but that’s really hard to do,” Gale said. “Saez and Zucman come in and say, ‘In fact, it’s quite possible; it’s just a matter of enforcement and getting the taxes right—pushing on both fronts.’ Their policy optimism is very different from the conversations that people had in the Obama Administration, where it was often about how the wealthy had these tax-avoidance strategies, these armies of lawyers, that the administrative problems were extreme.”

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

2005 Elizabeth Warren, seven years before she ran for an elected position. 

EHcQyICXYAEnbsA?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah, I said somewhere that she learned about capitalism run amok -- hell you don't even have to call it capitalism, just rapacious business -- in connection with "bankruptcy reform."

I trust Liz 10x more than any of the other (non-Bernie) candidates because her desire for a fair economic life for working people is what motivated her into action. She didn't discover a need to involve herself in advancing social justice causes until she realized she needed  a wider voting coalition in this primary (and still hasn't developed any concept of a foreign policy), but her heart is in the right place on economics (the most important, IMO) and her track record there is great.

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

For clarification the video in link below is from August 23rd at a union meeting. Makes it more understandable why she's dodged the middle class tax question...I don't think she knows the answer just yet.  Her plan is supposed to come out in the next few weeks. 

Tommy the troll doing his thing at Mediate.  This dude is digging deep in his oppo file.  He was one of the original propagators of Warren’s pregnancy smear.  This might as well be a Brietbart or Project Veritas piece.  Let’s see if it gets picked up by the MSM because that’s his goal with this shit. 

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Tommy the troll doing his thing at Mediate.  This dude is digging deep in his oppo file.  He was one of the original propagators of Warren’s pregnancy smear.  This might as well be a Brietbart or Project Veritas piece.  Let’s see if it gets picked up by the MSM because that’s his goal with this shit. 

Interesting that you focus on the source instead of the actual video. 

Honestly, I don't think it's that bad. I'm sure her eventual plan will line up with what she says in the video. Of course I never believed that she was truly with Bernie on M4A, so there's nothing shocking in what she said. 

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Interesting that you focus on the source instead of the actual video. 

Honestly, I don't think it's that bad. I'm sure her eventual plan will line up with what she says in the video. Of course I never believed that she was truly with Bernie on M4A, so there's nothing shocking in what she said. 

I read the content and it doesn’t line up with Tommy’s clickbait headline.  He’s a grifter troll that pushes disinformation on the left, he has a history of this now.  

Read the comments here:

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You are a fucking moron if you come away from that video thinking Warren is backing away from Medicare for All. 

Well, it's how we define "Medicare For All". Is she proposing Bernie's plan? Doesn't sound like it. 

She will release Elizabeth Warren's version of Medicare For All. Looking forward to the details. 

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Well, it's how we define "Medicare For All". Is she proposing Bernie's plan? Doesn't sound like it. 

She will release Elizabeth Warren's version of Medicare For All. Looking forward to the details. 

She frames the whole discussion around what most effectively lowers healthcare costs and the answer is MFA (or a single payer system.) That is all that matters at the end of the day.  It doesn’t make a shit of difference if it’s Bernie’s plan or even if it’s called Medicare-for-all.  She goes out of her way at the end to say we need to get people in the system as fast as possible which suggests it could be more aggressive than Bernie’s plan. 

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

She mentioned the cost analysis of Medicare for All being cheaper than the alternatives and that was an analysis of Bernie's plan.

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If so, hopefully it's better than Bernie's.

Jayapal released a version of M4A in the House that was slightly better than Bernie's (basically more aggressive in the phase-in).

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

She goes out of her way at the end to say we need to get people in the system as fast as possible which suggests it could be more aggressive than Bernie’s plan. 

Which would be awesome. Hit Bernie from the left and I'll holler at the ancient prick to step up his game or lose my support.

These hoes ain't loyal, and I'm one of 'em.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

She frames the whole discussion around what most effectively lowers healthcare costs and the answer is MFA (or a single payer system.) That is all that matters at the end of the day.  It doesn’t make a shit of difference if it’s Bernie’s plan or even if it’s called Medicare-for-all.  She goes out of her way at the end to say we need to get people in the system as fast as possible which suggests it could be more aggressive than Bernie’s plan. 

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

She mentioned the cost analysis of Medicare for All being cheaper than the alternatives and that was an analysis of Bernie's plan.

If so, hopefully it's better than Bernie's.

Jayapal released a version of M4A in the House that was slightly better than Bernie's (basically more aggressive in the phase-in).

I don't disagree with either of you.  She might very well put out the absolute best healthcare plan in the end. Just looking forward to her releasing the details. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Sheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook, maxed out a donation to Warren last year. I don’t give a shit, but just a heads up for the purity testers.

She probably maxed out to all the contenders including Trump.  We’re talking about $2700 here from a woman that’s worth $1.8 billion.