Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

(Continued)

A basic principle of our federal judicial system is that judges make decisions as disinterested, impartial observers. Yet several judges have ruled on cases while owning stock in companies arguing before them.

Justices Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia did not recuse themselves from Citizens United v. FEC, the case that opened an avalanche of money in politics to the benefit of people like the Koch brothers, who invited the pair on multiple all-expenses paid retreats.

And when judges have come under investigation, they can simply resign to avoid accountability. That's how Donald Trump’s sister, Maryanne Trump Barry, ended an investigation into the Trump family’s potential tax fraud and other tax schemes.

It’s time for fundamental reform. My plan will ensure that federal judges do not hear cases where they have conflicts of interest, strengthen our nation’s ethics rules for judges, and ensure accountability for those who violate these rules.

We'll ensure that Supreme Court justices follow a code of ethics, too. That means that a judge accused of lying to Congress, like Brett Kavanaugh, could face a full judicial investigation. And they couldn't end that investigation by being elevated to the Supreme Court.

These changes will allow us to hold bad actors accountable, and begin to restore accountability and trust in a fair, impartial federal judiciary.

• Like 1

Elizabeth Warren hires Texas state director

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/10/07/elizabeth-warren-hires-texas-state-director/

Democratic presidential hopeful Elizabeth Warren has hired a Texas state director, the first such move by a non-Texan candidate in the primary.

The Warren campaign told The Texas Tribune on Monday that longtime Texas organizer Jenn Longoria will lead its efforts in the state, which holds its primary on Super Tuesday, or March 3. Longoria, a San Antonian who sits on the board of Battleground Texas, has extensive organizing experience in a range of races for everything from statewide office to city council.

Longoria has also worked for presidential campaigns, serving as a field organizer for Barack Obama's 2008 run and as a full-time volunteer for Hillary Clinton's 2016 bid.

Warren's campaign is the second in the primary to announce a hire in Texas. In early September, one of the candidates from Texas, Beto O'Rourke, named a Texas state director, Delilah Agho-Otoghile, as well as four other staffers dedicated to the state.

• Like 1

But that’s not a real solution.

It’s easy to say “Just delete your account!” but the problem is other people aren’t going to do that.

And we can’t just ignore the garbage Facebook allows because it’s going to influence other people.

And other people vote.

I don’t ride motorcycles but I still want there to be safety regulations and helmet laws because they’re good for society.

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So regulate the fuck out of them. 

the world is moving fast and the US "i love a useless government" government is slowly doing nothing in all the places it desperately needs to do something

Americans are going to wake up November 4th 2020 and realize they don't trust just about anything. some are wise enough to already know that is the case now, some are fighting to maintain this cloud, and most are fools. 

I will vote for Warren simply because she seems to be one of the few, if not the only candidates, trying to actually challenge us to think on how the government works. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's not even an anti-Warren bias, it's even DUMBER than that.

It's a bias these elite media morons have with covering controversy for its own sake, as if it's their job to see a controversy (no matter how contrived) and scream, "HEY LOOK IT'S A CONTROVERSY!"

Completely agree. 

Many members of the media prefer to be passive spectators while the GOP and other bad actors unleash their attacks on D candidates. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

It's not even an anti-Warren bias, it's even DUMBER than that.

It's a bias these elite media morons have with covering controversy for its own sake, as if it's their job to see a controversy (no matter how contrived) and scream, "HEY LOOK IT'S A CONTROVERSY!"

I don’t disagree with the sentiment, but their job is to ensure the org survives and thrives.

If the public wants intriguing bullshitery vs dry, factual news, the media execs will provide the bullshit or be replaced by someone who will.  It’s what the board and stockholders demand and are entitled to — responsibility to a healthy democracy be dammed. 

When they clash, the forces of capitalism wins damn near every time over forces of moral and ethical responsibility.

19 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

But that’s not a real solution.

It’s easy to say “Just delete your account!” but the problem is other people aren’t going to do that.

And we can’t just ignore the garbage Facebook allows because it’s going to influence other people.

And other people vote.

I don’t ride motorcycles but I still want there to be safety regulations and helmet laws because they’re good for society.

We could ban Facebook, but something else would just take its place.  As much as it pains some, it’s a very useful tool for many people, and you can’t penalize them because it’s misused.   

They need to do a better job of going after the ads and the astroturfing.    There is your real problem.   Ditching Facebook just means something else fills that vacuum, and it will probably be designed while taking into account all of the problems Facebook ran into.

Joe Biden announced his candidacy on 4/25

RCP average on 4/26 was:

Biden: 29.3

Sanders: 23

Harris: 8.3

Buttigeg: 7.5

Warren: 6.5

Now:

Warren: 26.6 (+20.1)

Biden: 26.4 (-2.9)

Sanders: 14.6 (-8.4)

Buttigeg: 5.6 (-1.9)

Harris: 4.4 (-3.8)

One of these things is not like the others.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

New Plan:

(CONTINUED)

Industrial pollution has been concentrated in communities of color due to decades of discrimination and racism—and a system that puts corporate profits before people. We need big, structural change, focused on and led by members of those communities.

We need to invest in the communities who have borne the brunt of industrial pollution and are on the front lines of climate change. I'll direct at least $1 trillion to the most vulnerable communities—not just to clean up pollution, but to help them build a more resilient future.

As we work to enact the #GreenNewDeal, I'll make sure that frontline community leaders who know best what their neighborhoods need are elevated in my White House and lead the way toward the big, structural change we need. They've been doing this work for decades—we should listen.

As we fight the climate crisis, we have an opportunity to create millions of good-paying American jobs and rebuild our unions. We cannot fight climate change with a low-wage economy. Workers and unions must be our partners in this fight.

But we must ensure that we honor our commitments to fossil fuel workers as we transition to the new green economy. We'll ensure that new jobs have similar wages and benefits. And I'll fight to protect the pensions and benefits that they've earned.

Finally, we will hold corporate polluters accountable for the damage they've done in frontline communities and for their role in the climate crisis. My administration will impose steep fines on violators, which we'll reinvest in impacted communities.

As I’ve traveled this country, I’ve heard the human stories from frontline communities. Families where many people have cancer. Coastal communities facing the threat of rising sea levels. Ruined land and poisoned water. These communities need justice—and I will stand with them.

• Like 1

Gird your loins, fellas, because this election is going to be so, so, SO very stupid. And if Liz is the candidate, she has to win. We have to work to make this happen.

But we can't be blind to the brain worms that are going to be inserted in the voters' minds.

The decades of falsely claiming NA heritage is a brain worm that makes the media and others call into question even completely obvious stuff like this. A woman who is visibly pregnant is discriminated against in the workplace in 2019, so to be skeptical that it might have happened in the early 1970s is idiotic.

In the past she's made it sound like she left teaching because it wasn't her thing. More recently she says she was informally fired for being pregnant. These two stories do not conflict.

I do not even care to recall the number of conversations I've been involved in where other manager types (we all should be guillotined on principle, of course) have openly discussed hiring/firing decisions based on female fertility. Not just men, but women, as well.

So why is it alive? Aside from media stupidity and dis-ingenuity, Warren wasn't ever an actual classroom teacher. She was a part-time, out-of-classroom speech pathologist. A paraprofessional in the school. So while I guess she's technically telling the truth when she says on the stump that she got to "live her dream" of "being a public school teacher", it was 20-hours a week for about 8 months and not even in a classroom. This is the brain worm in action. The image of "living my dream of being a public school teacher" evokes an image of someone in a classroom for years dealing with the day-in and day-out of all those kids' lives. The reality is someone doing pull-out lessons for individuals or small groups and never being the actual teacher of record.

Does it matter? Not all that much, really.
Does it feed the brain worm? Unfortunately, yes.

I think a better way to phrase it is that she worked in a public school instead of calling herself a "public school teacher". It's more accurate and it doesn't feel misleading, but it still stresses that she worked with kids in a public school.

Regarding the "fired for being pregnant" thing, that's absolutely a thing where trying to use that against her can actually make her stronger. Women know the truth about how women are treated based on fertility/pregnancy. That's not a hard one to explain.

Just now, Fozzz said:

oh those wily, criminal poors

A Federalist Society speech/Q&A session could be 1000x worse than this.

It does give the lie to her defense that she wasn't very political when making excuses for decades of being a Republican and only switching once Republican's showed they were not the proper free marketeers.

She was political back then, and her politics were probably better than the majority of other Republicans, but... eh...

33 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This is what I'm talking about by saying it's simple to turn the pregnancy "controversy" into a strength.

Her personal story is powerful and could annihilate in the general. TONS of women of all ages out there have experienced a lot of the same things as Liz.

My wife was laid off late in her pregnancy by the non-profit organization she worked for. When she started considering her options out loud, the exec director claimed it was all a misunderstanding and gave her severance pay when she left anyway. I'm sure the board minutes there also reflect that she was asked to stay. 

I floated Gillum here awhile back, but he just doesn't have the experience to be a credible VP option IMO.   I guess there's the theory that veeps don't usually matter, but they usually also have more experience.   Plus they matter more when the top of the ticket is super old. 

She also might be courting him for an endorsement and cabinet position.

Edited by Mojo Hand

5 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I floated Gillum here awhile back, but he just doesn't have the experience to be a credible VP option IMO.   I guess there's the theory that veeps don't usually matter, but they usually also have more experience.   Plus they matter more when the top of the ticket is super old. 

She also might be courting him for an endorsement and cabinet position.

I think this is being floated to court more voters and generate some buzz.  Warren is still running her campaign like she’s 20 points down. 

Biden camp pulled this same stunt with Stacey Abrams before he launched his campaign. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

Or if he had to answer a single question about the Constitution. 

"A lot of people are telling me the Constitution is outdated. Many people are in fact saying that. This big guy, really large and muscular man approached me last week crying and said how much he hates what the constitution has done to me.

I issued an executive order banning the constitution after talking to that big, brave, crying Patriot American. Everyone is saying how great it is that I did that."