Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

Liz comes across as that mom who's fed-up with all the bullshit and is bound and determined to get shit fixed.

By comparison, here's Trump's mom. She didn't have it in her to discipline the spoiled little brat, so she sent him off to boarding school to be someone else's problem.

trump-foxtel.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Liz comes across as that mom who's fed-up with all the bullshit and is bound and determined to get shit fixed.

By comparison, here's Trump's mom. She didn't have it in her to discipline the spoiled little brat, so she sent him off to boarding school to be someone else's problem.

trump-foxtel.jpg

Pretty sure his dad did that

On 9/20/2019 at 6:37 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Liz went on a bit of a rant this afternoon about Wells Fargo.  

Oooh, Liz is tough on the banksters! She asked Well Fargo CEO to resign, so that he can walk away with his millions of dollars and be replaced by another sociopath! And she has a bill! Wake me up when ONE bankster gets thrown in prison, or when the government pulls the charter from one of these banks. That is never going to happen.

Elizabeth Warren Has Spent Her Adult Life Repeating A Lie. I Want Her To Tell The Truth. by Rebecca Nagle (actual Cherokee)

The whole thing is a punch in the gut, but this section.... yikes

In 1836, Warren’s great-great-great-grandfather, a white man named William Marsh, enlisted himself in a Tennessee militia to fight in the “Cherokee War,” an occupation of Cherokee land in the lead-up to the Trail of Tears. Decades later, his grandson John Houston Crawford moved his family onto Indian Territory and squatted on Cherokee land in a move that, with no record of a permit, was almost certainly illegal.

The Crawfords were just some of the tens of thousands of white squatters who outnumber Cherokees on our own land. While Cherokee Nation beseeched Congress to enforce our treaty rights and kick them out, the squatters pushed Congress to divide up our treaty territory and create a path to white land ownership; the squatters won. 

tumblr_ot5d3bpgVi1qf8cgzo3_500.gif

God damnit, white people.

Jesus

Indistinguishable from Jeb! Bush.

If Iran returns to compliance with its obligations under the nuclear deal, the United States should return as well. If Iran is not in compliance, I will pursue strong and principled diplomacy in concert with our allies to bring both the United States and Iran back into the deal.

The JCPOA is only the beginning. We will need to negotiate a follow-on to the agreement that continues to constrain Iran’s nuclear program past the “sunset” of some of its original terms. 

We also need to address serious concerns about Iran’s policies beyond its nuclear program, including its ballistic missile program and support for destabilizing regional proxies. The JCPOA made addressing these problems easier by taking the threat of a nuclear-armed Iran off the table. As predicted, President Trump’s reckless decision to withdraw from the agreement has clearly put us in a weaker position, and to make progress we will need to rebuild support from regional and international actors whose interests are also at stake. But with time and leverage, the damage can be undone and diplomacy can be successful again. 

Maduro is a dictator and a crook who has wrecked his country’s economy, dismantled its democratic institutions, and profited while his people suffer. The United States should lead the international community in addressing Venezuela’s humanitarian crisis and supporting regional efforts to negotiate a political transition, including free and fair elections as soon as possible.

Success will require supporting negotiations between elements of the regime, opposition, and civil society, and identifying specific steps Maduro must take to ensure a credible democratic process and to immediately allow independent humanitarian assistance to enter the country. We must also press China, Russia, and Cuba to become constructive players in this crisis - and if they refuse, we must contain their damaging and destabilizing actions. 

Contrary to President Trump’s empty threats, there is no U.S. military option in Venezuela. Congress has not authorized it, the neighboring countries don’t want it, and it won’t solve the problem. Instead, the United States should prioritize support for regional partners in managing an influx of refugees that is unprecedented in the region's modern history, protect Venezuelans currently in the United States by offering them Temporary Protected Status, and empower the Venezuelan people to make their own choices.

https://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/jeb-bush-new-hampshire-repeal-iran-deal-day-one-120301

No mention of sanctions relief for Venezuela so it appears Liz! is cool with us continuing to murder citizens of that country.  

Elizabeth Warren Has Spent Her Adult Life Repeating A Lie. I Want Her To Tell The Truth. by Rebecca Nagle (actual Cherokee)

The whole thing is a punch in the gut, but this section.... yikes

In 1836, Warren’s great-great-great-grandfather, a white man named William Marsh, enlisted himself in a Tennessee militia to fight in the “Cherokee War,” an occupation of Cherokee land in the lead-up to the Trail of Tears. Decades later, his grandson John Houston Crawford moved his family onto Indian Territory and squatted on Cherokee land in a move that, with no record of a permit, was almost certainly illegal.

The Crawfords were just some of the tens of thousands of white squatters who outnumber Cherokees on our own land. While Cherokee Nation beseeched Congress to enforce our treaty rights and kick them out, the squatters pushed Congress to divide up our treaty territory and create a path to white land ownership; the squatters won. 

Jesus

I heard that Quanah Parker was my great great grandfather my entire life. Found out about two years ago it’s total bullshit. Every white person with deep family history in North Texas and Oklahoma either thinks they are part Cherokee or Comanche.

The Fauxcahotas thing is priced in and Bernie’s people out pushing it are desperate.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Jesus

I heard that Quanah Parker was my great great grandfather my entire life. Found out about two years ago it’s total bullshit. Every white person with deep family history in North Texas and Oklahoma either thinks they are part Cherokee or Comanche.

The Fauxcahotas thing is priced in and Bernie’s people out pushing it are desperate.

The thing that's troubling about it, and I am a Warren fan, is why in the name of God did she double down on this mythic belief on professional credentials.  I don't believe it actually helped her, or certainly haven't seen any evidence that it did.

Of course, put in perspective by Trump and his spectacular prevarication on everything, it's kind of 

who_gives_a_shit.gif

It's vexing.

Love to be a white liberal dismissing the outrage of a Native American writer as "Bernie's people" being "desperate".

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Every white person with deep family history in North Texas and Oklahoma either thinks they are part Cherokee or Comanche

And how many of them write "American Indian" on their professional registrations? Or contribute to Pow-Wow Chow along with their also-not-NA husband who lists himself as "Cherokee"? Or is listed for years and years in different directories as a minority without seeking a correction?

That's not me saying that Liz is bad, it is me pointing out the simple reality that if it is actually true that many whites in the South think they have Native ancestry, what happens when they start paying attention to this and ask, "Why did she represent herself that way when none of us in her same situation ever do?"

The answer I choose, which is I think the most charitable, is that she was being a good-hearted doofus who thought claiming that heritage would signal boost Native Americans and it would be helpful towards a larger diversity push. I do not believe she consciously thought, "I am going to say this because it will help my career." I don't think she's that person.

A key problem with that, though, is she hasn't ever been a warrior for Native issues. It kind of flared up for a time in her consciousness then disappeared until it was pulled out of history by the media/partisans. I don't think poorly of her for it, but I am already in the bag for her. Also, I'm white so I don't really care that much about these tribal identity issues. They aren't important to me so it doesn't really make waves in my brain that Warren tossed a huge rock into that pond and made the waters choppier. I don't have a boat on it. Some do, though.

The cynical answer, the answer which will be pushed by Republicans in the general in an attempt to depress turnout among non-voting groups (minority, working class, young) will be that she's yet another cynical climber who ingratiated herself among a class of Ivory Tower libs by falsely claiming minority status. This answer validates a hundred different conservative/class grievances that are easily exploitable.

An answer that will not work is, "She's actually NA so it's OK." This was the first answer I tried to work with and it just doesn't bear scrutiny.The DNA test was BS, the genes were compared to indigenous Central/South Americans. The generational distance was massive. Using a single ancestor maybe from 6-10 generations back as a basis for claiming "American Indian" is absurd.

It's the obvious and huge weakness, the blinking red spot on the video game boss. Dismissing it as the desperation of her very-soft-touch left-wing opponents isn't going to be a viable strategy. Her initial effort of, "STOP CALLING MY GRANNY A LIAR!" blew up in her face and she had to apologize to the Cherokee Nation.

If asking her to do a better job explaining and handling it is too much to ask now, what the hell are we going to do when it becomes an actual, full-on attack in the general? (Lose again, I guess.)

Did you watch that apology?

Go ahead if you haven't.

It is literally, "I'm sorry that I made mistakes and I'm sorry for harm they caused."

It's not anything more than that. And an immediate pivot to, "I want to be president."

I, a dumb idiot on the Internet, have offered more fulsome and detailed explanations than Warren herself as publicly articulated. She absolutely has to do a better job of framing and explaining when we have to start selling her to reluctant audiences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It's OK, it means they've officially moved from denial to anger.   Hopefully they move on to bargaining and the rest soon enough to help prevent Biden from being the nominee. 

The media has moved on from covering it so it's not hurting her right now.  However, in the general, even if the media would like to ignore it, Trump will make sure that it's one of the most salient issues of the election.  She lied about her ethnicity in order to advance her career.  That's not going away.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The thing that's troubling about it, and I am a Warren fan, is why in the name of God did she double down on this mythic belief on professional credentials.  I don't believe it actually helped her, or certainly haven't seen any evidence that it did.

Of course, put in perspective by Trump and his spectacular prevarication on everything, it's kind of 

who_gives_a_shit.gif

It's vexing.

It is indeed weird.  But people are weird about their identities and family history. I think about her every time I see those ancestry.com commercials, which are all built on the premise that one random family member from 200 years ago is "where I get my fearlessness from" or whatever nonsense sells DNA testing kits.  This kind of fantasizing is very common thing among normal people. 

My conclusion based on the public evidence is that her imagination ran wild based on her family story and she felt a strong connection to Native Americans through the great-great-great grandmother.   Statements from her family members and even the DNA pretty much proves that this really was part of her family story.    Every time she had to fill out an official form requiring her legal status, she identified as white.   When it was a less formal self-identification thing, she identified as American Indian.   She was a private citizen throughout this time and probably never imagined it would be a national story.   I don't think there's anything more to it than that.   People have quirks.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

It is indeed weird.  But people are weird about their identities and family history. I think about her every time I see those ancestry.com commercials, which are all built on the premise that one random family member from 200 years ago is "where I get my fearlessness from" or whatever nonsense sells DNA testing kits.  This kind of fantasizing is very common thing among normal people. 

My conclusion based on the public evidence is that her imagination ran wild based on her family story and she felt a strong connection to Native Americans through the great-great-great grandmother.   Statements from her family members and even the DNA pretty much proves that this really was part of her family story.    Every time she had to fill out an official form requiring her legal status, she identified as white.   When it was a less formal self-identification thing, she identified as American Indian.   She was a private citizen throughout this time and probably never imagined it would be a national story.   I don't think there's anything more to it than that.   People have quirks.  

Another possibility, less sanguine, but still forgivable is that, as a single mom from a not-exactly-prestigious law school, she might have been angling for any "advantage."  Not so much in an affirmative action way, but in a sort of affinity way.  I'm not sure that affirmative action, particularly as concerned Native Americans, was fully entrenched in the mid 70s the way it was later in the 80s, when people were quite conscious of the potential effect of "checking boxes."