Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

.. she’s more pragmatic on the transition process ....

I don't understand why anyone goes to all the trouble of running for president of the United States just to talk about what we really can't do and shouldn't fight for.

... but her destination couldn’t be more clear when it comes to healthcare.

Does she advocate single-payer for vision, dental, and mental health?

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The most compelling argument you could make would be all the first world societies around the globe with single payer healthcare that are currently demanding to have healthcare privatized and driven by profit motive.  

Because there are so many of these.

We are talking about your stupid argument that "every poll that shows the majority of the country is against full-blown single-payer is rigged and unfair". We're not talking about which is the right solution.

Try to stay focused

Edited by BradInATX

She is really for a single payer system.  She says is, she says why she is, she isn’t going to back off that position.  Here me now, believe me later. 

Now she might take longer to get to a single payer system because she’s more pragmatic on the transition process but her destination couldn’t be more clear when it comes to healthcare.

She just released a healthcare plan on her website, and the words "single payer" do not show up. 

Here is what I know about the "private" company insurance that I have.

Every year I pay more and the coverage is diminished.

Medications that have been covered for years continue to no longer be covered. Co-pays go up every year.

I am all for universal health care. If you take out all of the hands that make a profit healthcare costs would be cut in half at least.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

She just released a healthcare plan on her website, and the words "single payer" do not show up. 

Uh no, she didn’t just release a healthcare plan and I would know. You are probably being misled by the link troll Fozz posted where she outlines where she stand on healthcare and troll Fozz said that was her plan... that is not a plan in the link, it’s just her ideological position on healthcare. 

Moreover, from the link it explicitly says this:

“Elizabeth supports Medicare for All, which would provide all Americans with a public health care program. Medicare for All is the best way to give every single person in this country a guarantee of high-quality health care. Everybody is covered. Nobody goes broke because of a medical bill. No more fighting with insurance companies.”

Is this not describing a single payer healthcare system? 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Uh no, she didn’t just release a healthcare plan and I would know. You are probably being misled by the link troll Fozz posted where she outlines where she stand on healthcare and said that was her plan... that is not a plan in the link, it’s just her ideological position on healthcare. 

Moreover, from the link it explicitly says this:

“Elizabeth supports Medicare for All, which would provide all Americans with a public health care program. Medicare for All is the best way to give every single person in this country a guarantee of high-quality health care. Everybody is covered. Nobody goes broke because of a medical bill. No more fighting with insurance companies.”

Is this not describing a single payer healthcare system? 

It's literally listed under "Plans" on her website: https://elizabethwarren.com/plans/health-care

And if you added these few words, would it be less true? 

“Elizabeth supports Medicare for All (who want it), which would provide all Americans with a public health care program. Medicare for All (who want it) is the best way to give every single person in this country a guarantee of high-quality health care. Everybody is covered. Nobody goes broke because of a medical bill. No more fighting with insurance companies.”

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It's literally listed under "Plans" on her website: https://elizabethwarren.com/plans/health-care

And if you added these few words, would it be less true? 

“Elizabeth supports Medicare for All (who want it), which would provide all Americans with a public health care program. Medicare for All (who want it) is the best way to give every single person in this country a guarantee of high-quality health care. Everybody is covered. Nobody goes broke because of a medical bill. No more fighting with insurance companies.”

Look brah, I get notifications in advance when Warren releases a plan.  Healthcare hasn’t happened yet.  Her position on healthcare has been on that website for a long time, it’s not new information.  

She could change the url to not be in the /plans/ area but this is some nitpicky shit because her plan so far is MFA, a universal healthcare program to squeeze out vultures in private insurance.  It says EXACTLY that.  It’s doesn’t say public option no matter how much you try to read it that way.

56 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Here is what I know about the "private" company insurance that I have.

Every year I pay more and the coverage is diminished.

Medications that have been covered for years continue to no longer be covered. Co-pays go up every year.

I am all for universal health care. If you take out all of the hands that make a profit healthcare costs would be cut in half at least.

Here's what you need to know: I fucking love my insurance company and will defend it with my life. You raving lunatic leftists just don't understand what the common man, like me and Brad, just know: we love insurance companies. Ask any farmer or steel mill worker what matters most to them (again, guys like me and Brad) and they will all say the same thing: Blue Cross, United, Aetna. This is why the Democrats will never take back power, they just don't understand what Republicans, I mean regular working class people like me and Brad, want. It's just that simple. 

• Like 5

This proposal is fucking awesome and Bernie either needs to sign on or go even harder.

THIS is the Warren I love to see.

That proposal would hit me pretty hard just as I’m really getting started but I’ve decided she’s dead on right. She’s my first choice. Beto is second, make them President/VP and I’ll just say... hell yeah!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, troph said:

That proposal would hit me pretty hard just as I’m really getting started but I’ve decided she’s dead on right. She’s my first choice. Beto is second, make them President/VP and I’ll just say... hell yeah!

This is where I am at. Warren focuses on Policy and Beto focuses on People. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, troph said:

20 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

This is where I am at. Warren focuses on Policy and Beto focuses on People. 

That pair has been my dream line-up since January.

18 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It is. Find some polls on how much people love their health insurance companies. 

They sure as shit don't anymore now that deductibles are 5-$10K. it wasn't that way for most folks who had insurance before the ACA.  Ours was about $2,500, a d premiums were about half what they are now.  

43 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

They sure as shit don't anymore now that deductibles are 5-$10K. it wasn't that way for most folks who had insurance before the ACA.  Ours was about $2,500, a d premiums were about half what they are now.  

Yes, it was.  Deductibles are always rising, and they always have.  Completely take away the ACA and they will still rise.  Let's not gaslight and pretend people loved their health insurance companies prior to the ACA.  The ACA wasn't created because health care was cheap and accessible in this country.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yes, it was.  Deductibles are always rising, and they always have.  Completely take away the ACA and they will still rise.  Let's not gaslight and pretend people loved their health insurance companies prior to the ACA.  The ACA wasn't created because health care was cheap and accessible in this country.

Really dislike how watered down the ACA became and the way our fucking awful country has to have 50 different ways to administer it, Medicare, and Medicaid depending on the state you live in, but this is 100% true. Premiums were rising before the ACA and you have to be a complete idiot to think otherwise.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robbmandelbaum/2017/02/24/no-obamacare-hasnt-jacked-up-your-companys-insurance-rates/#40c6c52b3a01

Except that it doesn't seem to be true. Health insurance premiums have been rising for decades, almost (though not quite) as stubbornly reliable as an eastern sunrise. And it turns out that these increases actually slowed after the Affordable Care Act became law in 2010. That's according to data collected by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which tracks a range of topics around spending on health care in its Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. The survey tracks the health insurance offered by private firms big and small, and in all cases, the average rate of premium growth from the time the law passed in 2010 through 2015 was actually lower than from 2004 to 2010. And premium growth was lowest for firms with fewer than 50 employees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Of course costs were rising, as they always do. The ACA gave them a license to steal.

36 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Really now?  Fucking awful people, fucking awful politicians, sure.

Yes, love worrying about whether we have a medical emergency, get charged for a crazy expensive ambulance ride, taken to an out of network hospital (or in-network hospital with an out-of-network doctor) and hounded for years by debt collectors because my health insurance didn't cover some emergency procedure.

Yes, love worrying about whether we have a medical emergency, get charged for a crazy expensive ambulance ride, taken to an out of network hospital (or in-network hospital with an out-of-network doctor) and hounded for years by debt collectors because my health insurance didn't cover some emergency procedure.

That’s the crux of what’s drastically wrong with healthcare. The other part is that it’s historically tied to employment.

14 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

My ACA plan had a ~$400 deductible and an ~$8000 maximum out of pocket, and it saved my life this year. Would have been fucked without insurance, and the episode would have been a hell of a lot better if the Republicans hadn't done everything they could to fuck over the ACA.

Edited by ndawg

9 hours ago, ndawg said:

My ACA plan had a ~$400 deductible and an ~$8000 maximum out of pocket, and it saved my life this year. Would have been fucked without insurance, and the episode would have been a hell of a lot better if the Republicans hadn't done everything they could to fuck over the ACA.

That's a good plan. Most people have much higher deductibles now and have to spend upwards of $15-$20K (deductibles and monthly premium) before their insurance companies kick in anything.

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

Are you in the individual market?

Nope wife has worked for insurance companies her entire career. I'm self employed so we've always had benefits thru her employers.  She's made a second career of managing our insurance benefits.

I saw her go from just stroking checks and remarking how nice our plans were to cussing like a sailor as she wrote them the last 8 years, and we got nothing till we dropped $5K or more..

Nope wife has worked for insurance companies her entire career. I'm self employed so we've always had benefits thru her employers.  She's made a second career of managing our insurance benefits.

I saw her go from just stroking checks and remarking how nice our plans were to cussing like a sailor as she wrote them the last 8 years, and we got nothing till we dropped $5K or more..

That’s terrible.

Our company plan has fallen in cost with no reduction in benefits over the last 6 years. We do a good job of educating our workforce on how to use their health insurance and because of that we are an attractive risk pool.

The vast, vast majority of our employees choose an HDHP with a max contribution HSA that is greater than the deductible of the plan. They are taught to budget and pay cash for predictable expenses, and that they should treat their HSA as tax advantaged savings if at all possible. We teach employees the crucial difference between urgent and emergency care, and when to use each. We pay for access to telemedicine for routine stuff and a concierge service that coordinates appointments and procedures and price shops services with highly variable costs like labs and MRIs. We make allowances for working from home and expect employees who are well enough to work but possibly contagious to stay out of the office. And finally, I should mention- we pay pretty well and subsidize premiums and savings, making the HDHP more viable.

We’re one of the best employers in Austin according to several surveys for most of the past decade and part of that is because we do so well in the insurance market. But it’s just good business for the company because it keeps turnover low and productivity very high.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's a good plan. Most people have much higher deductibles now and have to spend upwards of $15-$20K (deductibles and monthly premium) before their insurance companies kick in anything.

This is one reason why I moved to a country where I can have most surgeries for less than $5000 with no insurance.

• Like 1