USMNT 2018

Ted Lange

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Of course we won't.  We'll make Michael Bradley player-coach.

Worse. We’re hiring the brother of one of the head guys for US Soccer because he speaks English and coached in MLS. But mainly nepotism. We missed a WC so that we could replace one dildo with another set of dildos.

34 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Worse. We’re hiring the brother of one of the head guys for US Soccer because he speaks English and coached in MLS. But mainly nepotism. We missed a WC so that we could replace one dildo with another set of dildos.

Berhalter played for the USMNT, played in MLS, played in various leagues in Europe (but mostly Germany where he played 10+ years), coached in Sweden, and currently coaches in MLS.

If he's the guy, it's not because "he speaks English and coaches in MLS and has a brother in US Soccer".

21 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

BTW - I looked it up, because I was curious. That "some coach from Spain" was Julen Lopetegui.

What in the actual fuck....

We actually have some young talent coming through the ranks and we're going to hire Berhalter?!

Berhalter isn't some jag, but the issues with connecting play is what Spanish coaches are known for.  Fuck this nonsense that Berhalter is qualified.  Might want to check Lopetegui's resume.  This is idiocy of the highest level.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

4 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

What in the actual fuck....

We actually have some young talent coming through the ranks and we're going to hire Berhalter?!

Berhalter isn't some jag, but the issues with connecting play is what Spanish coaches are known for.  Fuck this nonsense that Berhalter is qualified.  Might want to check Lopetegui's resume.  This is idiocy of the highest level.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states/story/3705268/us-soccer-not-approached-by-ex-real-madrid-coach-julen-lopetegui-agent

Who knows what is true, but his agent is denying it ever happened.

Edited by goatsaag

On 11/21/2018 at 2:07 PM, goatsaag said:

Berhalter played for the USMNT, played in MLS, played in various leagues in Europe (but mostly Germany where he played 10+ years), coached in Sweden, and currently coaches in MLS.

If he's the guy, it's not because "he speaks English and coaches in MLS and has a brother in US Soccer".

Got fired in Sweden for underperforming and playing an overly defensive style. He’s been a pretty average coach in MLS. The fact that MLS declined to interview multiple qualified candidates to give the job to him should concern anyone that wants to see the USMNT win.

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

It's fine. Not the best choice but he's a good coach. The bigger thing is why did it take this long to make it happen? There never appeared to be a second choice so why did they waste a year of roster development and end up hiring the safe, predictable choice?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

A question we will never get an answer to. Welcome to the US Soccer Federation. 

6 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

It's fine. Not the best choice but he's a good coach. The bigger thing is why did it take this long to make it happen? There never appeared to be a second choice so why did they waste a year of roster development and end up hiring the safe, predictable choice?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Safe choice seems questionable. Predictable? Very. Right along with not even interviewing multiple qualified, interested candidates.

9 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Waiting for the new president to be elected, then waiting for the GM to be hired, and then waiting for the coach they chose's season to end.

I've seen so many people bitching about the timeline, but is it really that hard to follow?

4 hours ago, goatsaag said:

Waiting for the new president to be elected, then waiting for the GM to be hired, and then waiting for the coach they chose's season to end.

I've seen so many people bitching about the timeline, but is it really that hard to follow?

And there was a whopping 15+ months of friendlies ahead, so perhaps there wasn't a real sense of urgency.

Maybe there was a shit ton of friendlies, but they server a purpose of seeing the team play together, letting them work together. You know building a team. And there was a whole year of it, and it was lost. Even 6 months, it just makes no sense.

The official announcement was today:

Grant Wahl asking some questions:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/12/02/gregg-berhalter-usmnt-manager-us-soccer-earnie-stewart-jay

What’s more, U.S. Soccer’s message that Berhalter was the only serious candidate among those coaches looks even worse when you know that his brother, Jay, is one of the most powerful people at U.S. Soccer and currently serves as the federation’s chief commercial and strategy officer (a commercial, not technical, role).

I’m not saying the fix was in when it came to naming Berhalter, but it just looks bad. U.S. Soccer has insisted that Jay Berhalter has not been part of the search process for the USMNT coach because his work no longer involves the technical side of the game. But he was heavily involved in the hiring process for Stewart, the GM, who is the one in charge of hiring the coach (which also requires the approval of the U.S. Soccer board of directors).

But it’s also crystal clear that Jay Berhalter had a major role in the process that resulted in U.S. Soccer hiring Gregg Berhalter, a process that did not view Martino, Vermes, Marsch, Ramos, Osorio, Bradley or Lopetegui as serious candidates. Being Jay’s brother should not have disqualified Gregg from being a candidate for the job. It should have absolutely disqualified him from appearing to be the only serious candidate.

36 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Maybe there was a shit ton of friendlies, but they server a purpose of seeing the team play together, letting them work together. You know building a team. And there was a whole year of it, and it was lost. Even 6 months, it just makes no sense.

The official announcement was today:

Grant Wahl asking some questions:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/12/02/gregg-berhalter-usmnt-manager-us-soccer-earnie-stewart-jay

US Soccer don’t give a fuck as long as the money keeps coming in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeathTongue said:

...and he scores a goal two minutes after coming on.

I wish that I had read that this was TODAY instead of just thinking that the game was probably Saturday or Sunday.

We have a sniper!

I remember when we all thought that Jordan Morris was going to be the future of the USMNT. Thankfully we have others with more hunger, drive, and skill who want to challenge themselves to be the best that they can be coming along. If Morris ever becomes something, then that's just a bonus, but Josh Sargent is nice to have representin' over in Europe. 

• Like 1

In the right place at the right time.

It's nice to have players who understand where to be, who can make their own luck.

(I'm not going to say that that ball would have probably gone in had he not been there, because why take away from his glory?)

I don't know if he tracked down that ball, but I always feel like teammates should make sure to save the ball for a guy's first professional goal. You could tell his teammates were elated for him and that he is definitely "one of the lads" rather than a punk ass American kid who is possibly resented by older players. It's very good to see.

• Like 1

Top 10: U.S. player valuations (Europe big 5 leagues)

1. Christian Pulisic, Bor. Dortmund ($48.6 million)
2. Weston McKennie, Schalke 04 ($17.1 million)
3. DeAndre Yedlin, Newcastle United ($15.1 million)
4. John Brooks, Wolfsburg ($8.2 million)
5. Tim Weah, Paris SG ($8.1 million)
6. Luca de la Torre, Fulham ($5.2 million)
7. Josh Sargent, Werder Bremen ($5 million)
8. Matt Miazga, Nantes ($4.6 million)
8. Bobby Wood, Hannover 96 ($4.6 million)
10. Tim Ream, Fulham ($2.6 million)
Source:CIES Football Observatory (as of Dec. 3).

3 hours ago, DeathTongue said:

Weston McKinney gets the assist on Haji Wright's goal in Schalke's 1-2 loss to Leverkusen

Way to go Haji!

I didn't realize that he had returned from the abyss.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:43 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

Change Tim Weah's last name and his valuation is ~$3M-$4.5M.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:45 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

trapmetrics (TM) $ valuations:

pulisic 30 (higher if he lights up UCL in march)

mckennie 5

yedlin 5

brooks 12.5

weah 20 when he breaks out

de la torre - don't know

sargent - 10 when he breaks out

I wouldn't expect Pulisic to be playing any more UCL matches this season. 

I think that he's already featured for BvB and he'll probably be sold in January, so that will be that.

I'd also take Sargent over Weah now, 2 years from now, 4 years from now, 8 years from now.

On 12/7/2018 at 4:39 PM, Napoleon said:

Just rewatched this and it is hilarious and endearing that as soon as he scores, he doesn't go to pick up the ball, he doesn't go to celebrate with the fans, he doesn't point to the back of his shirt, what does he do?...

He goes over to try to help up his fellow striker who was down on the ground. The whole idea of celebrating is an afterthought, because he just wants to make sure that his teammate is alright and help him up off the ground.

I cannot think of one player EVER that I have seen do that, especially when his team is already winning the match.

The Red Baron!

GOALKEEPERS (4): Alex Bono (Toronto FC/CAN; 1/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 5/0), Tyler Miller (LAFC; 0/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 6/0) DEFENDERS (10): Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 2/0), Greg Garza (FC Cincinnati; 10/0), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 2/0), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 0/0), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Keegan Rosenberry (Colorado Rapids; 0/0), Auston Trusty (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 4/1)  MIDFIELDERS (10): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 23/2), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 17/2), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 142/17), Russell Canouse (D.C. United; 0/0), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC/CAN; 6/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 5/1), Djordje Mihailovic (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 5/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 11/0) FORWARDS (3): Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers; 0/0), Christian Ramirez (LAFC; 0/0), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 40/6)

All mls

Guess who's back, Bradley's back. Back again.

US Soccer's write up of the 7 newbs.

Corey Baird

Jeremy Ebobisse

Daniel Lovitz

Mark McKenzie

Djordje Mihailovic

Tyler Miller

Auston Trusty

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/12/20/11/55/20181220-feat-mnt-meet-the-usmnt-newbies-january-camp-2019

Ucapped Players who have previously appeared in a MNT camp:
Russell Canouse
Justen Glad
Kick Lima
Christian Ramirez
Keegan Rosenberry

On 12/13/2018 at 11:43 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

Lmao PSG is hanging up the phone if you call them with $8MM for Weah. 

49 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Josh Sargent scores his 2nd goal in 3 games for Bremen. Nice to have some positive news for our Yanks in the Bundesliga with Pulisic in a strange situation. 

That's awesome. Fucking banger, too:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Josh Sargent scores his 2nd goal in 3 games for Bremen. Nice to have some positive news for our Yanks in the Bundesliga with Pulisic in a strange situation. 

McKennie assisting Haji is doubly "positive news for our Yanks" in the Bundesliga. Just because BvB has a younger, cheaper, better player that has taken control of Christian's position doesn't mean that Christian's career is over. The fact that Mario Götze has finally dropped 15+ lbs and is in playing shape again and Reus is randomly healthy for an extended period of time doesn't help Christian, but the better players are starting and playing full matches.

Christian just isn't as good as the players ahead of him and with only 1 1/2 years left on his contract, January is the the time to sell him, because if you wait until the summer your risk starts to outweigh the possible reward, because if he doesn't like his options, he waits until January and signs on a free transfer.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

That's awesome. Fucking banger, too:

As I said before, I'd take Sargent over Weah now, in 2 years, in 4 years, in 8 years...

He will never be as fast as Weah, but he's fairly fast now and is plenty quick. Also, he is as smart of a player that the US has in its player pool and he's only 18-19. He has the physical build to play in any league right now and is highly skilled with both feet. Barring injury, he's the USMNT #9 at least until 2027.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

McKennie assisting Haji is doubly "positive news for our Yanks" in the Bundesliga. Just because BvB has a younger, cheaper, better player that has taken control of Christian's position doesn't mean that Christian's career is over. The fact that Mario Götze has finally dropped 15+ lbs and is in playing shape again and Reus is randomly healthy for an extended period of time doesn't help Christian, but the better players are starting and playing full matches.

Christian just isn't as good as the players ahead of him and with only 1 1/2 years left on his contract, January is the the time to sell him, because if you wait until the summer your risk starts to outweigh the possible reward, because if he doesn't like his options, he waits until January and signs on a free transfer.

As I said before, I'd take Sargent over Weah now, in 2 years, in 4 years, in 8 years...

He will never be as fast as Weah, but he's fairly fast now and is plenty quick. Also, he is as smart of a player that the US has in its player pool and he's only 18-19. He has the physical build to play in any league right now and is highly skilled with both feet. Barring injury, he's the USMNT #9 at least until 2027.

He just has a knack for being in the right place at the right time. Very much like Donovan in that regard, but a lot lankier

And on the Pulisic comment, Pulisic will be fine. He's sitting behind an absolute phenom while battling some nagging injuries on the best team in Germany right now.

I have zero doubt he would crush it on a middling team in the BL.

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Sargent is the most confident striker we have seen in a long time who finishes almost everything. Agreed on the comments on him over Weah and a good problem to have.

I also remember one of the announcers during the series of meaningless friendlies say that Sargent's legs were like "tree trunks". I hadn't noticed, but took it to mean that he could hold his own against experienced defenders if he were to play with his back to the goal.

Well, the ESPN article about his second goal has a shot of him walking back to midfield after scoring his and he appears to put everyone else in the photo to shame.

r480740_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=920&h=518&sc

Um, yeah. I don't know everyone's age in this photo, but I'm fairly certain that Josh is the youngest by far. He doesn't look like he'll be pushed around too much on the pitch.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/werder-bremen/story/3734937/uss-josh-sargent-strikes-in-werder-bremen-loss-to-rb-leipzig

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Pulisic is better than Guerreiro and Bruun Larsen. In fact, I think CP is better on the left than he is on the right. It's puzzling the manager can't get CP and Sancho on the field at the same time.