2020 Democratic Debates Watch Thread

bad_teammate

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The market is climbing at a compound growth rate of 10.5% annual under Trump.

It averaged 15.2% annual under Obama.  DO SOMETHING!!!

I love your bullshit cherry picking of dates.  Why don't you enlighten the board on your starting and stopping dates for each.  We know you trade securities so when you explain the dates picked maybe give a little context about what was going on.  

1 minute ago, babysdaddy said:

I love your bullshit cherry picking of dates.  Why don't you enlighten the board on your starting and stopping dates for each.  We know you trade securities so when you explain the dates picked maybe give a little context about what was going on.  

WHAT.  THE.  FUCK?  

WTF is your problem with me?  Here's how I "cherry picked" the dates:

Obama's inauguration --> Trump's inauguration

Trump's inauguration --> now

Try the fucking decaf.

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

They can certainly afford to lose me.  My point was that idiotically insane trump voters aside, Democrats would do well remember that not everybody against them is for him.  Midwestern voters of myriad tastes will decide this election and I am one of them.  

No, the Democrats need you. The only way Democrats can defeat Trump is to lock down the crazy-old-guy-who-hangs-out-at-the-recycling-center-arguing-with-pigeons vote. 

• Like 1

Yeah I'm sure that's what you tell yourself, Republican.
Eh. I've posted it before if you really want to know, but this isn't a conversation I'm interested in. Your labels are both stupid and counter productive to your cause. For such a left wing warrior, you sure miss the forest for the trees when you constantly put your ego and need to hear yourself yell loudly ahead of your larger cause.

Just now, BradInATX said:
19 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:
Yeah I'm sure that's what you tell yourself, Republican.

Eh. I've posted it before if you really want to know, but this isn't a conversation I'm interested in. Your labels are both stupid and counter productive to your cause. For such a left wing warrior, you sure miss the forest for the trees when you constantly put your ego and need to hear yourself yell loudly ahead of your larger cause.

You started talking to me, bud.

giphy.gif

It would be cool if all you conservatives and Republicans could stop and think, "You know what? I think my whole sense of this is fucked up, maybe I should sit back and watch and listen for a while instead of immediately charging into other people's areas and demanding they accept everything I say."

You started talking to me, bud.

giphy.gif

It would be cool if all you conservatives and Republicans could stop and think, "You know what? I think my whole sense of this is fucked up, maybe I should sit back and watch and listen for a while instead of immediately charging into other people's areas and demanding they accept everything I say."

Actually I was talking to skipper, not you.

Some of us want not to alienate swing voters.

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Imagine if Obama had lost.  

We wouldn't have got Trump.

Dodged a bullet there. whew!

That's British usage. An American would have said "gotten". Other than that, your idiomatic command of language ours most impressive is.

• Haha 1

If your vote is contingent on people being nice to you online, then you're not worth considering or targeting.

There are people that will be swung by the attitude of the nominee. Online, real world, etc. It's dumb. But it's reality.

I wish you would do your part not to alienate them. But I consider the end game more important than making myself feel important by labeling everyone.

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

What are you doing to secure a Democratic victory in 2020.

*Jeopardy music plays*

I'm doing my part. But there's no way I'm going to respond to this to set you up to take a "look at me! I'm such an important left wing warrior" dump all over this thread. Catch you later.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Hillary failed because she tried to tightrope the “both sides” space politically.  She came off disingenuous and untrustworthy because of her lack of visible conviction on damn near everything.  So I can see why most consider her a bullshit politician, she tried real hard to wear that costume.  She had an authenticity problem and it cost her the presidency. 

Rigging the primary is what caused her to lose the election.  If she hadn't played dirty and/or offered Sanders the VP or a cabinet level position, she would have probably won the election.   I don't understand why people can't just admit that was the problem.

My fear is that we are seeing the same thing with Warren/Harris being the chosen ones and the primaries are just for show again. 

6 minutes ago, Amobie said:

Rigging the primary is what caused her to lose the election.  If she hadn't played dirty and/or offered Sanders the VP or a cabinet level position, she would have probably won the election.   I don't understand why people can't just admit that was the problem.

The truth is there were many reasons Hillary lost, fallout from the primaries is one.  However, I think what gets lost, and is ultimately more important is why Trump won beyond the “Hillary was a bad candidate” nonsense.  Hillary didn’t have anything to do with Trump beating 15 other republicans to win the nomination.  That is all on republicans.  Why did that happen? 

44 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

I'll take a shot...

I think JJ was taking a swing at the misconception that "Trump is great for the stock market!"  Presidents always get too much credit and too much blame for the performance of the market.  But the point is that Trump inherited a very strong economy and a very strong market.  He was given the keys to a race car that was already in first place and all he's really done is managed not to drive it into the wall.

As JJ pointed out, it's a fact that the market was better under Obama than under Trump so far.  It's also a fact that the S&P was negative last year for the first time in 10 years.  Is that Trump's fault?  Not really.  But if Trump were "great for the stock market," these facts wouldn't be facts.

As for the economy as a whole, here is where the president can have some effect.  And when this tariff war leads inevitably to higher inflation and lost jobs, not to mention more government subsidies for industries that are getting crushed (but y'all hate government handouts, right?), and when we post the highest annual deficit in our history for the third consecutive year, you'll want to back away from the, "Trump is great for the economy!" bullshit, too.  He's not.  He doesn't even have a basic understanding of the economy, and he's too fragile and insecure to surround himself with people who do.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Amobie said:

Because it wasn't the main problem?

Once again, a party is not a democracy.  Hillary bailed out the DNC.  There was no foul play.

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The truth is there were many reasons Hillary lost, fallout from the primaries is one.  However, I think what gets lost, and is ultimately more important is why Trump won beyond the “Hillary was a bad candidate” nonsense.  Hillary didn’t have anything to do with Trump beating 15 other republicans to win the nomination.  That is all on republicans.  Why did that happen? 

Look at who he went against..

Jeb Bush?  ZZzzzzzzzzzz

It was a 2 horse race between him and Ted Cruz who barely got reelected to the Senate as a Republican in Texas.  Who on the Republican side would you have voted for?

Quality human beings don't usually get into politics and it's even rarer they win elections.  2016 showed that in spades. All of them were pieces of shit and we ended up with the orange one with a hot wife.

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

I'll take a shot...

I think JJ was taking a swing at the misconception that "Trump is great for the stock market!" 

It's more than that.  The idea that Trump maintains support with his base because the stock market is doing well doesn't pass the sniff test.  If that were true, then his base would have been thrilled with Obama.  Right.

As far as "cherry-picking" dates goes, the implication is that I root-solved to find the best set of dates to make things look great for Obama and worse for Trump.  First off, that's offensive -- I would never do that.  I don't play games.  Second, that would be WAY too much work.

I pulled up 3 numbers:  the S&P 500 on

1/20/2009

1/20/2017

Today. 

That's it.  That's not cherry-picking.  I defined the dates before looking up the data.  (For the slow among us, those are the dates Obama and Trump were first inaugurated along with today.)  It's a perfectly reasonable counterargument to the idea that people are happy with Trump because of the stock market.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Because it wasn't the main problem?

Once again, a party is not a democracy.  Hillary bailed out the DNC.  There was no foul play.

You can trivialize and reframe what happened it all you want, but that's not how many Sanders supporters took it.  A lot of them felt cheated

No Republican problem for this gal -

1992 - Clinton (drove from Tuscaloosa to Little Rock on Election Day to party)
1996 - Clinton
2000 - Gore
2004 - Kerry
2008 - Obama
2012 - Obama
2016 - Clinton
2020 - MY BAE (Whoever wins the Democratic nomination)

• Like 1

I think there was a percentage of Trump voters in 2016 that simply did not trust Hillary and Trump was the devil you didn't know versus the one you did, but a larger share of those voters are what they are, and it's not the stock market driving their passion.  It is what it is.

43 minutes ago, Zavala said:

aww, nbcnews, that's adorable.

pssst, hey democrats, someone should point out during the debates that we have a functioning fucking retard in the oval office, otherwise nobody will know.  pass it on.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

There are people that will be swung by the attitude of the nominee. Online, real world, etc. It's dumb. But it's reality.

I wish you would do your part not to alienate them. But I consider the end game more important than making myself feel important by labeling everyone.

Eh, BT's clearly a nut.  He's not alienating any sane person in this thread.  But whether my vote goes democrat or independent probably will directly correlate with whether BT is happy with the Dem nominee or not.

18 minutes ago, UTDD said:

I think there was a percentage of Trump voters in 2016 that simply did not trust Hillary and Trump was the devil you didn't know versus the one you did, but a larger share of those voters are what they are, and it's not the stock market driving their passion.  It is what it is.

There's 1 or 2 on this site that said as much.  They hated Hillary, Trump was the devil they didn't know/how bad could it be and they are not making that mistake again in 2020. 

Trump or Obama taking credit for actual equity growth in the markets is insane. However, their overreach into the debt side of things does play a big role.  

But Trump would do well to remember that the reason overtime the S&P 500 or any other myriad indices  seem to go up it’s because we drop the shitty  companies inside those.   Everything from the Dow Jones to the Russell nano who fucking knows what...

18 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Eh, BT's clearly a nut.  He's not alienating any sane person in this thread.  But whether my vote goes democrat or independent probably will directly correlate with whether BT is happy with the Dem nominee or not.

sad_cucks_console_each_other.wmv

• Like 1

5 hours ago, suddenly shaggy said:

Not a single Democrat, especially Elizabeth Warren, will be embarrassed when Trump continues to be too stupid to even pull of the Fauxcahontas insult correctly. 

Warren will be too busy embarrassing herself trying to explain to everyone who likes their health insurance why she is going to take it away from them.  

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

There's 1 or 2 on this site that said as much.  They hated Hillary, Trump was the devil they didn't know/how bad could it be and they are not making that mistake again in 2020. 

Hillary would be the most moderate candidate running for the Dems if she ran this year.  Compared to everyone that will be on the stage in Miami she is Pat Buchanon.  People may not like Trump the person but he is not promoting a litany of idiotic political positions like the entire Democrat Party is today.  Trump will destroy any candidate that runs against him.  The only people that like the Democrat ideas are members of the media and stupid millennials who do not have enough life experience to know any better and are easily manipulated by that media and their Marxist college professors. Trump will kill with the over 40 voting block. The only thing that can stop Trump from winning is Trump. 

• Like 2

Such support for Gabbard isn’t entirely surprising. Since January, when Gabbard announced her campaign, elements of conservative media and the far right have been receptive to the Hawaii politician and aspects of her record, especially in foreign policy, that don’t track neatly with normal progressive or Democratic policy positions.

So "far right" for this libtard means anti-war and "normal progressive" means pro-war.  It should be utterly embarrassing for libs that something like this can be published in a mainstream lib rag like MJ, but I guess that would require a modicum of self-awareness.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/06/tulsi-gabbard-debate-alt-right/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Who likes health insurance companies?

I had to pay probably around 8K for back surgery this year -- deductibles and uncovered expenses.  There was literally no wait for me to get any of the critical procedures.  I got an MRI done a couple of days after I was told I needed it and I had surgery a few days after the MRI results came back.  Would have been nice if the care was done more cheaply, but it was well worth it to me, and there wasn't remotely an issue of whether I liked my doctors or not.

I'm completely happy with my private health care plan.  It is more of a pain now than it was 10 years ago, but I don't want to blow it all up -- I'd like to keep it and continue to work on getting health care for those who can't afford it and I'm willing to pay more in taxes for that. 

Does that mean I LIKE my insurance company?  I'm not sure either way, but what I do know is that the system has worked for me so far.

2 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Hillary would be the most moderate candidate running for the Dems if she ran this year.  Compared to everyone that will be on the stage in Miami she is Pat Buchanon.  People may not like Trump the person but he is not promoting a litany of idiotic political positions like the entire Democrat Party is today.  Trump will destroy any candidate that runs against him.  The only people that like the Democrat ideas are members of the media and stupid millennials who do not have enough life experience to know any better and are easily manipulated by that media and their Marxist college professors. Trump will kill with the over 40 voting block. The only thing that can stop Trump from winning is Trump. 

damage is done, my man.  it's all over but the crying.

but hey, at least the electoral college will keep it "competitive".

3 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

So "far right" for this libtard means anti-war and "normal progressive" means pro-war.

Liberals cannot tolerate the following:
- Criticism of Israel's terrorism and occupation and murder of civilians
- Being openly anti-war (you're supposed to just be "concerned" and "willing to get everyone at the table")
- Actually knowing things about the Middle East and then making decisions based on that knowledge

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Who likes health insurance companies?

Yes, CEOs should determine how much I need to pay to live.  Just take my money and let me die. 

1.  Rural hospitals that will be forced to close without them.

2.  People who live in those same rural areas who will have no access to health care facilities without those hospitals.

CEOs compete with each other and whoever can give people the best deal gets the most business so they have an incentive to lower costs and improve overall service and performance.   Government would compete with no one and have no incentive to lower costs and improve overall service and performance.  If you don't think that the government would be taking your money and letting you die then you are a fool.   There were Democrat candidates claiming that tens of millions of people are unhappy with their health care.  Well, there are hundreds of millions of people who have health care.  What about the ones who are happy with the health care they have?  What right does the government have to take that away from them?

4 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Weird.  I basically thought both Gabbard and Beto shown themselves to be not ready for prime time in the debates.  The idea that she won the debate seems crazy.

Gabbard humiliating Ryan was about the only moment any candidate had of fully dunking on another candidate, and the Internet boys love bloodsport, so...

4 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I had to pay probably around 8K for back surgery this year -- deductibles and uncovered expenses.  There was literally no wait for me to get any of the critical procedures.  I got an MRI done a couple of days after I was told I needed it and I had surgery a few days after the MRI results came back.  Would have been nice if the care was done more cheaply, but it was well worth it to me, and there wasn't remotely an issue of whether I liked my doctors or not.

I'm completely happy with my private health care plan.  It is more of a pain now than it was 10 years ago, but I don't want to blow it all up -- I'd like to keep it and continue to work on getting health care for those who can't afford it and I'm willing to pay more in taxes for that. 

Does that mean I LIKE my insurance company?  I'm not sure either way, but what I do know is that the system has worked for me so far.

Because it’s all about you and keeping you comfortable.  Screw everyone else i guess, I got mine and like it.  We’re being swindled for procedures that cost four times what they would in Thailand... which, by the way, is where many Americans now travel to get much better and affordable healthcare.  Thailand has government run healthcare too. 

We can do better than Thailand but choose not to because we’ve been conditioned to accept the status quo as fair when it’s anything but. 

20 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

The only people that like the Democrat ideas are members of the media and stupid millennials who do not have enough life experience to know any better and are easily manipulated by that media and their Marxist college professors. Trump will kill with the over 40 voting block. 

I'm 55 years old and am more than successful by any reasonable measure.  I think Trump and his supporters -- including you -- are despicable, ignorant gutter trash.  Reframe your worldview.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1