2020 Democratic Debates Watch Thread

bad_teammate

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

All in all, I’d take every single person on that stage over Trump without any hesitation.

(Even Tulsi, who I think is a fraud and a bit of a nutter.)

I would rather have Chuck Todd as president than Donald Trump.  And I'd like to choke Chuck Todd out.

• Like 2

Gonna be a lot of reactionary predictions and bullshit punditry due to first debate excitement. Warren basically cruised through it and will continue to ride her momentum.

Castro came to drink Beto's milkshake. I think that's really the only interesting result from tonight. Booker is passionate, but I'm not feeling it. We'll see. 

Just now, longhornmatt said:

True.  The knives could come out for Biden and Bernie pretty easily, though, especially since neither one is going to be strong on details like Warren. 

Oh yeah. I'm expecting far more fireworks tomorrow. I think Bernie and Biden are going to have huge targets on their back, particularly with a crowded field and everyone trying to stand out. 

6 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

All in all, I’d take every single person on that stage over Trump without any hesitation.

(Even Tulsi, who I think is a fraud and a bit of a nutter.)

Yeah, she’s always saying all that nutty shit

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

I know the terminology can be confusing but someone born a woman who is transgender (woman to man) and who haven’t gone through reassignment surgery can still get pregnant if raped.

Or if she just fucked a dude...

democratic leaning twitter people elated about castro have not been paying attention. jesus christ.

i was watching our soccer team play, so i missed the debate, but one thing i noticed while watching the post-game on cnn: when the moderator asked somewhat progressive questions (like "would you give up your private health insurance for medicare for all (paraphrase)" warren was the one whose hand went up, and went up high. 

shit, i don't even have to agree with her to respect that. it wasn't the only issue either. no hesitation, no regret, hand up. i'm a democratic candidate for president and i believe in that.

i was impressed by that.

ymmv, and my opinion may change.

10 minutes ago, sachick said:

Castro won’t win the nomination, but maybe a VP rec? And I think he’ll have a cabinet position.

no VP rec for this guy. he's pence light.

he is angling for a cabinet position. because it's safe. 

because the castro brothers are safe.

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I think Bernie and Biden are going to have huge targets on their back, particularly with a crowded field and everyone trying to stand out. 

Debate Night 2 Lineup

Real candidates:
Biden
Sanders
Buttigieg
Harris

Fun candidates:
Yang
Williamson

Ugh:
Gillibrand
Hickenlooper
Bennet
Swalwell

Hickenlooper will go after Bernie directly. I don't know who else will.

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

democratic leaning twitter people elated about castro have not been paying attention. jesus christ.

i was watching our soccer team play, so i missed the debate, but one thing i noticed while watching the post-game on cnn: when the moderator asked somewhat progressive questions (like "would you give up your private health insurance for medicare for all (paraphrase)" warren was the one whose hand went up, and went up high. 

shit, i don't even have to agree with her to respect that. it wasn't the only issue either. no hesitation, no regret, hand up. i'm a democratic candidate for president and i believe in that.

i was impressed by that.

ymmv, and my opinion may change.

I completely agree.  Warren knows what she stands for and she won't hesitate to tell you about it.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Debate Night 2 Lineup

Real candidates:
Biden
Sanders
Buttigieg
Harris

Fun candidates:
Yang
Williamson

Ugh:
Gillibrand
Hickenlooper
Bennet
Swalwell

I could see Harris getting aggro on somebody. Not sure who. She's been stuck in neutral for awhile and probably understands that she needs to do something to regain some momentum. That could get fun.

17 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Did you guys not find Castro's whole section 1325 thing contrived and obnoxious?

No, not at all and I have a personal dislike for the guy and would never pass up an opportunity to shit on Castro.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Harris is way more likely to go aggro on Biden for race/gender shit. Gillibrand, too.

I think Buttigieg is going to recapture some attention and momentum.

You think Pete still has a chance? I think he's probably out of it at this point. There's only so many affluent whites to go around and most of said group is already locked or leaning towards a candidate. I don't see where he finds any upside.

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

If this was the NFL, Beto would show a fair amount of promise as a career backup quarterback.

beto is the jozy altidore of the democratic party in this race. (sorry, again, watching us men's soccer tonight instead of the debate)

guy who you really wanted to like, and who you really thought was about to round that corner, but somehow doesn't.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Debate Night 2 Lineup

Real candidates:
Biden
Sanders
Buttigieg
Harris

Fun candidates:
Yang
Williamson

Ugh:
Gillibrand
Hickenlooper
Bennet
Swalwell

I think Harris comes out swinging. 

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I could see Harris getting aggro on somebody. Not sure who. She's been stuck in neutral for awhile and probably understands that she needs to do something to regain some momentum. That could get fun.

And that will effectively end her candidacy. If it hasn’t happened already.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You think Pete still has a chance? I think he's probably out of it at this point. There's only so many affluent whites to go around and most of said group is already locked or leaning towards a candidate. I don't see where he finds any upside.

eh, i think a shocking number of dems are still looking around.

to 75%+ of this country, this race started tonight/tomorrow.

1 minute ago, housious said:

i agree and disagree. if she goes aggro, she can do it delicately. she's a prosecutor, so she (ostensibly) knows how subtlety can work.

the main problem is that subtle is a no-no in presidential elections. 

which is how we've got trump. who was subtle as a brick to the face, and the fucking country ate it up.

I fear the things that resonate with me hold no purchase with the average Democrat.  Then again, I doubt they're watching, so my concerns about whether or not a candidate is actually answer the question that was asked and offering some serious insight are probably unfounded.

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I think Buttigieg is going to recapture some attention and momentum.

As a Buttigieg fan I'd have felt completely comfortable about his potential performance tomorrow before the recent controversy in SB. His economy of words and speaking ability should continue to be impressive.. The question is what happens when someone goes after him. I think others will try to pounce on his current vulnerability. My guess is Harris and maybe a rando like Bennet or Hickenlooper. 

EDIT: or Gillibrand, after seeing longhornmatt's rightly mentioning her

Edited by Hank Kingsley

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

As a Buttigieg fan I'd have felt completely comfortable about his potential performance tomorrow before the recent controversy in SB. His economy of words and speaking ability should continue to be impressive.. The question is what happens when someone goes after him. I think others will try to pounce on his current vulnerability.

The shooting or something else?  NTTIAWWT

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:
2 minutes ago, housious said:

Curious why you think that. We're seeing in real time Castro get a ton of hype and press for dunking all over Beto tonight.

so.............

she's a woman.

i don't know if you've been paying attention, but our president is a dude who WAS ON TAPE TALKING ABOUT SEXUAL ASSAULT, and it was cool.

she goes into bitch mode, and suddenly she's a bitch. that's how a lot of our electorate works. it's why warren is going straight issues right now. women have to fight a lot more than men when it comes to being ambitious, playing the game "right," and attacking men. she'll be labeled a bitch, and women themselves won't support her.

(sorry ladies, it's true)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

beto is the jozy altidore of the democratic party in this race. (sorry, again, watching us men's soccer tonight instead of the debate)

guy who you really wanted to like, and who you really thought was about to round that corner, but somehow doesn't.

Hmm.  I've never even wanted to like Jozy and nothing drives more more crazy that "you have to have Jozy on the field" mentality.

so.............
she's a woman.
i don't know if you've been paying attention, but our president is a dude who WAS ON TAPE TALKING ABOUT SEXUAL ASSAULT, and it was cool.
she goes into bitch mode, and suddenly she's a bitch. that's how a lot of our electorate works. it's why warren is going straight issues right now. women have to fight a lot more than men when it comes to being ambitious, playing the game "right," and attacking men. she'll be labeled a bitch, and women themselves won't support her.
Maybe. But I think some women can pull it off. She's got some nasty to her, and people appreciate that. Especially in today's climate where the left (rightfully) wants blood.

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

Hmm.  I've never even wanted to like Jozy and nothing drives more more crazy that "you have to have Jozy on the field" mentality.

eh, i think that most american fans of soccer wanted jozy to do well. he looked right, he would run right, he's scored plenty of goals, but he's a shrinking violet. 

i don't think beto is a shrinking violet, but i think he compares well with jozy's career arc with the usmnt. scores lots of goals, wins no real games worth it.

None of this really mattered.  Maybe it mattered for framing policy discussions.  Think climate change and the nominee talking like these candidates and Trump with whatever he will say.

but for the race? Matters very little. The Castro bump won’t change squat.  The guys on the ends will drop and those points will go to the front runners.  Beto could gain a few, booker too, even Klobuchar had some answers that could give her a bump. None of it matters.  Warren is the only one that gets off that stage still in the mix and the same will happen on the next one, Biden and Sanders.  Beto, Pete, Booker, they aren’t bad candidates by themselves but they aren’t getting the traction they need and these 20 person debates won’t do it for them.

Just now, BradInATX said:
4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:
so.............
she's a woman.

Maybe. But I think some women can pull it off. She's got some nasty to her, and people appreciate that. Especially in today's climate where the left (rightfully) wants blood.

maybe. i dunno. i think, as i stated previously, that she might understand the need for subtlety. but voters generally suck, and if she goes all donald trump attack mode, she'll be written off tout fucking suite

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
10 minutes ago, housious said:

Curious why you think that. We're seeing in real time Castro get a ton of hype and press for dunking all over Beto tonight.

Don’t mind me. I haven’t paid attention to politics since 2016 and there is whiskey sitting next to me.

• Like 1

maybe. i dunno. i think, as i stated previously, that she might understand the need for subtlety. but voters generally suck, and if she goes all donald trump attack mode, she'll be written off tout fucking suite
When in doubt, the most cynical option (yours) is probably correct. Sucks.

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I'm not talking about any kind of larger, long-term stuff, I'm just saying coming out of the night.

Pete is fucking great talking to Democrats. He has the right tone, the right cadence, and he knows the right things to say. The moderators aren't going to hammer him with an attack question (my prediction is that only Bernie gets an attack question tomorrow night, MSNBC hates him like they hate anti-imperialist Gabbard).

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

As a Buttigieg fan I'd have felt completely comfortable about his potential performance tomorrow before the recent controversy in SB. His economy of words and speaking ability should continue to be impressive.. The question is what happens when someone goes after him. I think others will try to pounce on his current vulnerability. My guess is Harris and maybe a rando like Bennet or Hickenlooper. 

de Blasio threw a little shade, but Hickenlooper is going to go after Bernie very hard and won't have time to waste on anyone else.

Bennet? Yeah I don't know shit about him, so maybe?