2020 Democratic Debates Watch Thread

bad_teammate

Inslee: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

De Blasio: lol at the random steel chair shots out of nowhere on other candidates, but otherwise eh.

Ryan: Doing rails off of the lectern prior to the debate is a bad idea

Gabbard: One trick pony, a good trick, but eh.

Warren: Solid, but settle down moon moon.

Booker: Solid.. did yall know he lives in the hood?

Castro: Sharp, kind of a dick

Beto: Adios, muchacho

Klobuchar: eh

Forgot the 10th person so yeah

23 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

These aren't republican or democrat issues.

These are American issues that are going to destroy our country.   The two party system alone is exceptionally dangerous, and not to mention we continue to ignore major factors affecting our future and don't address them like we should.

maybe we should listen to the university of texas's own james galbraith:

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2013/01/18/debt-ceiling-crisis-overrated.html

Edited by elfenix

3 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

I think Booker won the night. What say?

I told anyone who would listen that Booker crushed his town hall.  But I don't think anyone saw it.  He showed again tonight that he could be formidable.

Warren also did very well tonight.

Castro did well.

I don't think any of the others' performances will be remembered after Biden, Bernie, Kamala, and Pete go tomorrow night.

Edited by TexArcher

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

Beto, Warren, Klobuchar, Booker, and Castro all did well for themselves tonight. 

I don't see it with Beto. He got bullied on a very friendly stage and looked like a weak chump who wasn't really up to snuff to be on the stage with the adults. Trump would just eviscerate him on stage. It would be savage.

Edited by BradInATX

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

I don't see it with Beto. He got bullied on a very friendly stage and looked like a weak chump who wasn't really up to snuff to be on the stage with the adults. Trump would just eviscerate him on stage. It would be savage.

Trump would probably call him retarded 

Just now, housious said:

Trump would probably call him retarded 

And Beto would hem and haw and look shocked and then try to talk about how some lady named Annette from Galveston told him that her Hobby Lobby ran out of knitting thread and nobody should ever be faced with a shortage of knitting thread.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

The pundits are not giving Warren great reviews.

Saying Castro stood out the most.

Saying Klobuchar and Inslee flopped.

Klobuchar was weird to me.I liked her and disliked her all at once tonight. I actually am fairly close to her on policy but she really strikes me as a typical full of shit politician who will say whatever needs to be said. Hillary-esque. I get the same vibe from Castro.

She tried to walk this weird line of being a bit more moderate than everyone else on stage, but then attempting to cover up some of her more moderate positions. Pick a side, dummy.

Edited by BradInATX

4 minutes ago, Mapache said:

Castro helped himself more than anyone else tonight. Liz still tops though

I think this may be right but to what end?  He doesn't have a prayer at the nomination so really all he did was keep himself relevant for a few more months and then hope for a cabinet position.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Glad Warren went hard early and let the rabble fight it out in the second half.

When many have changed the channel. 

The moderators certainly helped here there.  She got about 5 of the first 15 questions during peak viewing.  Not exactly even handed.

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Castro was the only pleasant surprise for me tonight.  He came to fuck shit up. 

I like guys like him because he's smart.  He quite obviously has no chance in hell, but I'll pay attention to him more in the future.

• Like 1

Lookit, I though Inslee did fine with little time, but I think he is right on the issue.

Booker is not particularly likeable, but he puts in the work.  If you haven't seen "Streetfight", you should. 

I'm totally ready to vote for Warren.  Her policy arguments scare me to death.  As b-t says, I'm kind of conservative -- in some ideas but also in overall attitude.

Proud of Castro's performance as well.

I loved when Klobuchar called out the random for mansplaining about fighting for abortion rights by pointing out there were three actual women on the stage and when she said foreign policy shouldn’t be done by Twitter while in a bathrobe.

(You know she wanted to say while sitting on the shitter.)

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I like guys like him because he's smart.  He quite obviously has no chance in hell, but I'll pay attention to him more in the future.

The only difference between Booker and the Castro academically is that Booker was a Rhodes Scholar.  Yet Booker is an empty suit and Castro is smart?

Edited by tantric superman

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Castro is the only one who acted like he understood a debate is an opportunity to engage the other candidates.   Warren, rather than Beto, is who he’d really have to knock down a few pegs for it to matter, but at least he went in on him.

2016 was full of GOP debates where everyone weirdly avoided trying to hurt Trump until it was far too late.  If any of these low polling candidates are actually serious about their run, then they need to actually engage the front runners and get the better of them. 

Good point. Going to be a tough straddle for anyone to go hard in the paint on Warren as she's well liked by everyone, including people who don't have her as their frontrunner, plus she looks like your grandma.

Edited by BradInATX

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

The only difference between Booker and the Castro academically is that Booker was a Rhodes Scholar.  Yet Booker is an empty suit and Castro is smart?

Well, if Booker would answer a fucking question I might be able to offer a more nuanced opinion.

Warren and Booker are the only ones that will matter.  Castro did help himself, but I don’t think it makes a material difference.  
De Blasio managed to squander a decent start into now being panned as the big loser along with Beto.

Castro won’t win the nomination, but maybe a VP rec? And I think he’ll have a cabinet position.