Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t buy this. I believe that people are circulating this, but it sounds like fresh bullshit. This season is headed towards another dumpster fire and that’s a problem with the new arena efforts well under way. 

I will be willing to consider it true the second someone fucking names a name. Until then, this is "Saban-to-Texas" horseshit.

I like Prohm, and Keatts is worth a look as well. Obviously if we even have a chance at Hoiberg we have to go for it. Who knows, maybe CDC is working on finding the Sean McVay of college hoops. Maybe there's some 28 year old hoops genius out there just waiting to change the game. I can guarantee you that there are viable candidates out there that none of us even know about. I maintain my belief that CDC is actively searching for a replacement. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Just now, Machinator said:

Buzz, Musselman, and Beard would be my top 3 choices (perhaps in that order), but as an unconventional candidate we could do far worse than Ivey.

I'm not sold on Beard at all. 

1) We bitch about Shaka's results in the Big 12 and now we want to hire the coach that's .500 in the Big 12? Yeah, I know he coaches at Tech but still. 

2) His adjusted offensive numbers are meh to bad. Tech is 141st in adjusted offense this year. If we want "better offense" Beard isn't exactly the logical choice. 

Buzz has done a good job of rebuilding at schools that don't have a lot of success but he hasn't really done anything to show me that he can be an elite 8/final 4 coach. Maybe he can be that at the right job. The other problem with Buzz is he's going to be the top candidate for almost every school with an opening. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

I like Prohm, and Keatts is worth a look as well. Obviously if we even have a chance at Hoiberg we have to go for it. Who knows, maybe CDC is working on finding the Sean McVey of college hoops. Maybe there's some 28 year old hoops genius out there just waiting to change the game. I can guarantee you that there are viable candidates out there that none of us even know about. I maintain my belief that CDC is actively searching for a replacement. 

I'm not trying to start shit here just discussions. 

1) Prohm is 30-31 in the Big 12. It's not like he was left a shitty situation either after Hoiberg bolted to the NBA.

2) Hoiberg would be a good hire but not sure he's realistic. For starters, he's been rumored at UCLA. Also, I'm not even sure he wants to coach in college. Based on everything I've read Hoiberg hates recruiting and hates NCAA restrictions. 

3) Keatts is interesting and he's probably a decent choice. He's no worse than the other options. But that gives you a good idea of how shit the market is. A guy that's made 1 Sweet 16 might be our best option. 

10 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I will be willing to consider it true the second someone fucking names a name. Until then, this is "Saban-to-Texas" horseshit.

Montgomery, Duval or Rawlings out of DFW are potential guys that give a shit about basketball and have access to Smart. Not saying it is one of them,  but start there if you want to do research or ask around. 

Here's why I like Prohm:

AdjO 

2015 Murray state - 16th nationally

2016 ISU- 7th nationally 

2017 ISU- 11th nationally

This year- 12th nationally (and 26th in AdjD and 12th overall)

Prohm was awesome at Murray a state and he has shown that can coach at his level at ISU. Give him the Texas job and the type of players we recruit and I think he could do very well. I bet most people here have no idea that Rick Barnes went 28-36 in four years in the ACC at Clemson, but he could coach. Once he got to Texas and brought in better players the results came in. 

Edited by Goo Punch

I get the idea of talent differences at a school like Iowa State and Texas. 

Just tough to be excited about a guy that's below .500 in the Big 12. If the narrative is that Shaka sucks and his Big 12 record is bad not sure there's going to be much excitement around a guy that's .500 in the same league. 

Well like I said, Rick was pretty far below .500 at Clemson, but that was at Clemson. Once he got to Texas he showed his coaching chops right away, and I personally believe that Prohm could do the same. 

Really I think any good coach who is ready for the gig is walking into a great situation. He is going to have a lot of support from the Athletic Department, the AD, BMD's eager to get a foot in the door, the fans will be excited to have a new coach, we still have a ton of players in the NBA, several of whom are vocally proud Longhorns, thus keeping Texas en vogue as a destination school for top flight players, not to mention the wealth of top flight players in this state., oh and a new stadium opening soon. I think there are several guys out there who could walk into this situation and be usc radio fairly quickly. I'd probably choose Buzz if I had to pick one realistic candidate. 

I believe he's here another year strictly because of $. So what are the external and internal signs that it's one more year?

Internal

1 players transferring

2 coaches leaving

3 recruiting is down unless you're a one-&-done

4 Serious. Matthew M. will be at more games.

External

1 assistants won't want to come here for one year

2 CDC places a coach on the team

4 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

I believe he's here another year strictly because of $. So what are the external and internal signs that it's one more year?

Internal

1 players transferring

2 coaches leaving

3 recruiting is down unless you're a one-&-done

4 Serious. Matthew M. will be at more games.

External

1 assistants won't want to come here for one year

2 CDC places a coach on the team

Matthew M is on our payroll. I don't know what this has to do with anything.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Aw look we are all bonding over Dylan being trash. Theres hope for us yet! 

Remember his first open scrimmage for fans and he scored something like 30 points and 10+ boards....sitting a year and Shaka development must have really fucked him sideways

I imagine that the players are hurt and confused. I have no doubt that they're all working very hard, and each of them has been used to a certain amount of success for years now. Roach was a state gold medalist, and a good football player too. Matt Coleman player at Oak Hill. Several of our recent players have been HS All americans or Team USA representatives. Now all of a sudden they're in the best shape of their life, the best they've ever been, and they suck.

Except that they beat North Carolina; but then lost to Radford; went toe to toe with KU at the Phog; and lost to VCU at home; outplayed Michigan State for a half; but lost to Oklahoma State. Up and down; mostly down. Even when we do win it isn't pretty, and nobody ever strings together more than two good games in a row save maybe Jaxson. They don't understand that they are receiving subpar coaching, and that with a different staff we'd have different results. I feel for these guys. Like watch Kerwin go to some G League team where they have the next Musselman and the. exit thing you know he's in the league as a poor man's Avery Bradley. I wouldn't predict that, but I've seen crazier things happen. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Rick Barnes was fired for compiling a 402-180 record and presently sits at #1 in the country. Shaka has compiled an impressive 61-59 record, a losing season and several one and dones in the tourney. Get this over paid clown out of here, please!

9 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

which was awesome

1:10:00 mark of this here video

sorry about the unnecessary correction, GP

"Rasheed Wallace had a technical earlier."

Ill take "Phrases you just knew you were gonna hear" for $500 Alex. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Haha 1

I may be in the minority but I don't think DO was a waste of a scholarship.  I just think he is misused.  He should not be on the perimeter, ever, except to set ball screens.  He is a good rebounder and (sad to say) has the best post moves on the team even though he has trouble finishing.  He should be Hayes' primary backup instead of Sims.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I may be in the minority but I don't think DO was a waste of a scholarship.  I just think he is misused.  He should not be on the perimeter, ever, except to set ball screens.  He is a good rebounder and (sad to say) has the best post moves on the team even though he has trouble finishing.  He should be Hayes' primary backup instead of Sims.

It took too long for Shaka to find his Hepa.

Where was Clemson when Barnes took over? I’m too lazy to research this but I’m guessing they were in much worse shape than Iowa State was when Prohm took over. 

Prohm took over a good situation at Iowa State because Hoiberg was building a good program. Which makes the 30-31 record look even worse. It’s not like he took over a dumpster fire. Prohm’s first roster at ISU was loaded. 

Edited by texasstrong12

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It took too long for Shaka to find his Hepa.

Meh. Having a true stretch 4 would help, but his offensive scheme is way more broken than that. Everyone said the year before last that what he needed was a true floor general PG. then, it was, we’ll coleman was a freshman so wait til next year. Our offense is better this year in part because of Coleman’s ball control, but the offense is still fundamentally flawed.

if you sag off the off-ball guys and clog the paint, plus show hard on the perimeter screens, then we just run the ball around the perimeter for 29 seconds and throw up a terrible shot. The last four years have shown that No personnel changes will make it any different.

19 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Where was Clemson when Barnes took over? I’m too lazy to research this but I’m guessing they were in much worse shape than Iowa State was when Prohm took over. 

Prohm took over a good situation at Iowa State because Hoiberg was building a good program. Which makes the 30-31 record look even worse. It’s not like he took over a dumpster fire. Prohm’s first roster at ISU was loaded. 

I don't think you're painting the clearest picture of his tenure at Iowa State by exclusively quoting his conference record.

His first year ISU finished 7th nationally in AdjO, won 23 games, and went to the Sweet 16. His second year there, after losing Georges Niang and Abdel Nader they went 24-11, finished the season ranked 16th, were 11th in AdjO and 42nd in AdjD, ended the year winning 10 of their last 12 (including the conference tournament), and got another tourney win. Then last year after losing his top four players (including Monte Morris, Naz Long, and Deonte Burton) they went 4-14 in the league.

Now this year they are back up to #12 in KenPom (12th in AdjO, 26th in AdjD). To simply boil it down to "he's been .500 in conference" is disingenuous to say the least. And that's not to mention going 104-29 (54-10) with four league titles in four years at Murray State. Steve Prohm is a helluva lot more than some unknown who's only gone .500 in this league. He'd be a great hire, and we would be thrilled to have him. 

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t buy this. I believe that people are circulating this, but it sounds like fresh bullshit. This season is headed towards another dumpster fire and that’s a problem with the new arena efforts well under way. 

Yes. That story is utter horseshit. I don’t believe it for a second, I’ve never heard anything like it, and even if it was true there is no way CDC makes a decision based on that.

34 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

DO is the kind of guy where if we had the right mix of players and/or better talent, he'd be coming off the bench playing about 12 minutes and hitting the occasional three, grabbing key rebounds, and there'd be like three dudes on this forum saying "you know, it's ridiculous DO doesn't play more, his number are amazingly efficient". 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Meh. Having a true stretch 4 would help, but his offensive scheme is way more broken than that. Everyone said the year before last that what he needed was a true floor general PG. then, it was, we’ll coleman was a freshman so wait til next year. Our offense is better this year in part because of Coleman’s ball control, but the offense is still fundamentally flawed.

if you sag off the off-ball guys and clog the paint, plus show hard on the perimeter screens, then we just run the ball around the perimeter for 29 seconds and throw up a terrible shot. The last four years have shown that No personnel changes will make it any different.

I don’t think it’s all scheme.  I think the way the players are taught to run it is flawed.  Example.  Part of the point of the weave is to get defenders to work because the threat of the drive is there due to the natural screening the motion creates...but we don’t actually drive when there are windows to do so.  We don’t even look for it.  Ramey in particular is way too passive coming off screens even though he has the athletic ability and finishing skills to make defenses pay. He’s only a freshman but if it was being taught properly he would have made progress by now.

The continuous ball screen stuff has the same issues.  As a scheme per se I it can work.  There are plays to be made to punish the defense but we are not taught to make them or simply don’t have the skills to finish.   Just once I’d like to see someone other than Coleman pull up a drive and make shot from the elbow when the lane is clogged.  

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I don't think you're painting the clearest picture of his tenure at Iowa State by exclusively quoting his conference record.

His first year ISU finished 7th nationally in AdjO, won 23 games, and went to the Sweet 16. His second year there, after losing Georges Niang and Abdel Nader they went 24-11, finished the season ranked 16th, were 11th in AdjO and 42nd in AdjD, ended the year winning 10 of their last 12 (including the conference tournament), and got another tourney win. Then last year after losing his top four players (including Monte Morris, Naz Long, and Deonte Burton) they went 4-14 in the league.

Now this year they are back up to #12 in KenPom (12th in AdjO, 26th in AdjD). To simply boil it down to "he's been .500 in conference" is disingenuous to say the least. And that's not to mention going 104-29 (54-10) with four league title in four years at Murray State. Steve Prohm is a helliva lot more than some unknown who's only gone .500 in this league. He'd be a great hire, and we would be thrilled to have him. 

1) I think Prohm underachieved in year 1 with that roster at Iowa State. They had Nader, Monte Morris, Niang, Thomas and Burton. That team was loaded. I think Hoiberg gets that team much deeper in the tournament. Monte Morris and Niang are getting run in the NBA. 

2) He made the tournament 1 out 4 years at Murray State. No doubt his record was impressive but the only roster he got to the tournament was in year 1 that was primarily Billy Kennedy players. Yes, that Billy Kennedy. 

I do think Prohm is a hell of an offensive coach.  

18 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Another name to throw out there is Kelvin Sampson. Houston has looked good. 

I mean he’s been a cheat everywhere he’s been but maybe he gets a look. 

I brought this up some pages ago. Apparently Texas' wouldn't consider hiring him. Which is fair. 

That said there is zero percent chance he would be a worse coach than Shaka. He has UH rolling and I wouldn't be surprised if they made a deep tourney run. They have some grown ass men on that team and play disciplined on both sides of the ball.

There is a pretty good chance the NCAA would be like a fly on shit, though, which is probably not what UT wants. 

Just now, ztejas said:

I brought this up some pages ago. Apparently Texas' wouldn't consider hiring him. Which is fair. 

That said there is zero percent chance he would be a worse coach than Shaka. He has UH rolling and I wouldn't be surprised if they made a deep tourney run. They have some grown ass men on that team and play disciplined on both sides of the ball.

There is a pretty good chance the NCAA would be like a fly on shit, though, which is probably not what UT wants. 

Kelvin Sampson is a hell of a coach. He's probably a better coach than all the names mentioned in this thread. 

But yeah, he's a cheat. 

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Kelvin Sampson is a hell of a coach. He's probably a better coach than all the names mentioned in this thread. 

But yeah, he's a cheat. 

Consider he's also 63 and has come out saying he wants UH to be his "last stop".

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Another name to throw out there is Kelvin Sampson. Houston has looked good. 

I mean he’s been a cheat everywhere he’s been but maybe he gets a look. 

Great coach and he has UH playing great. So much better coached on defense than we are. I don’t think he is looking to move. He has great job security and better facilities for basketball than we do.

6 minutes ago, 2inDaPink1inDaStink said:

Sampson? I get negged and called a mental defective, but Sampson gets a meh? Good lord, we deserve Smart. 

Once the NCAA has come down on a basketball coach they have proven that they will attempt to do it as many times as possible after that. So, on one hand, coaches with multiple infractions are likely the ones breaking the most rules. On the other hand, coaches with multiple infractions are definitely going to be under the microscope more-so than other coaches. 

Hiring Larry was a fun ride at SMU. It became less fun when we lost a top 30 team to postseason probation and lost nine scholarships over three years. 

I don't think Sampson is in the Larry or Pitino tier as far as rule-breaking goes but were he to come to Texas I guarandamntee you the NCAA would jump at the first opportunity they could. Couple that with the fact he's going to be on his way out at some-point soon and there are probably more pragmatic, long-term options out there. 

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic