Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

22 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

They need to hire a coach and move Shaka to recruiting coordinator. 

Seriously, what prevents them from doing this?  We have to pay him anyway so make him work for it. If he wants to walk that is his choice and “no buyout”. If he mails it in, Fire for cause. 

Is there any rule that says you have to fire him to demote or replace him?  

I imagine the language in the contract would have a lot to do with whether you can reassign him or if you have to fire him.  If he can be re-assigned, that's the best leverage for getting him to negotiate a buyout more favorable to us.  

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Players know when their coach is so bad that he undermines their own efforts and talent. 

The players were at that point with Charlie in Lawrence, Kansas in 2016 and they appear to be at that point with Shaka in Athens, Georgia in 2019. Or at least, they’ll be there by the end of the season.

Agree....

Shaka has lost this team..... after 4 years as the Head Coach at Texas there are........ 

NO EXCUSES for such horrible results from this year's Longhorn Basketball Team...... NONE

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Texas tourney chances went out the window tonight. Wondering if he gets fired mid-season at this point. Might save some face with the fan-base with an interim. 

You have to get this clown out of Austin. 

The buyout is massive as it is. They're not going to pull the plug mid-season just to "save face" at the expense of a couple more million dollars.

• Like 1

Just now, Machinator said:

The buyout is massive as it is. They're not going to pull the plug mid-season just to "save face" at the expense of a couple more million dollars.

Well they fucking should. Take out a loan. Get Durant on the line. He might be happy to write you another check for $10MM. 

Georgia is atrocious. This should have been the worst loss of the season but holy shit it might not crack the top 3.

for those (and there many, and rightfully so) who've been frustrated with Shaka's inane and often confusing comments shown during TO's on ESPN, watching the same thing play out just now for Tennessee shows just why we've been upset. 

Tennessee gets down 12 early. Barnes calls TO.

"We've scored five points in 12 minutes! five points in 12 minutes! How does that happen?! We're not playing team ball! Everyone's out here shooting jump shots. Play. Team. Ball!" then they show him pulling one guy aside: "How you gonna come out of a timeout shooting a jumper? We're playing team ball." and that kid is immediately benched.

Tennessee promptly goes on a 17-0 run and holds WVU without a FG for 10 minutes. That huddle was 10x more constructive than every Shaka huddle that ESPN has sown us. I miss having actual coaching going on during games. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Well they fucking should. Take out a loan. Get Durant on the line. He might be happy to write you another check for $10MM. 

Georgia is atrocious. This should have been the worst loss of the season but holy shit it might not crack the top 3.

Eh. People were saying the same thing about Strong in 2016. We hit rock bottom in losing to Kansas, finished the season with a listless loss to TCU, and everything was fine in the long run.

There's nothing to be gained from a midseason firing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

for those (and there many, and rightfully so) who've been frustrated with Shaka's inane and often confusing comments shown during TO's on ESPN, watching the same thing play out just now for Tennessee shows just why we've been upset. 

"We've scored five points in 12 minutes! five points in 12 minutes! How does that happen?! We're not playing team ball! Everyone's out here shooting jump shots. Play. Team. Ball!" then they show him pulling one guy aside: "How you gonna come out of a timeout shooting a jumper? We're playing team ball." and that kid is immediately benched.

Tennessee promptly goes on a 17-0 run and holds WVU without a FG for 10 minutes. That huddle was 10x more constructive than every Shaka huddle that ESPN has sown us. I miss having actual coaching going on during games. 

Oh and in case anyone didn't check their season - Tennessee beat this Georgia team by 46 points. Forty six points. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Eh. People were saying the same thing about Strong in 2016. We hit rock bottom in losing to Kansas, finished the season with a listless loss to TCU, and everything was fine in the long run.

Except that was after year 3 in a sport that takes much longer to turn a program around. 

I thought Shaka should have been canned after year 3. Now we're sitting in year 4. 

Let's play a hypothetical - what if Strong got to his 4th year and was sitting at 3-6? Would you have advocated for him to keep his job because "there's nothing to be gained"?

Showing the fan-base that you understand their pain can definitely be something to gain. No one wants to watch this shit anymore and it really can't get any worse. I mean if you want to get out the spreadsheets and convince every Texas fan about the financials of the situation you can try but fan apathy is reaching a dangerous level at this point. Is there any possibility Texas could go interim and play more inspired ball? If that isn't a zero-sum I think CDC needs to make that gamble. 

Something else to consider is underclassmen looking at transferring. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Except that was after year 3 in a sport that takes much longer to turn a program around. 

I thought Shaka should have been canned after year 3. Now we're sitting in year 4. 

Let's play a hypothetical - what if Strong got to his 4th year and was sitting at 3-6? Would you have advocated for him to keep his job because "there's nothing to be gained"?

Showing the fan-base that you understand their pain can definitely be something to gain. No one wants to watch this shit anymore and it really can't get any worse. I mean if you want to get out the spreadsheets and convince every Texas fan about the financials of the situation you can try but fan apathy is reaching a dangerous level at this point. Is there any possibility Texas could go interim and play more inspired ball? If that isn't a zero-sum I think CDC needs to make that gamble. 

Something else to consider is underclassmen looking at transferring. 

It's not zero-sum. I already said the buyout is higher right now, and then there are the behind-the-scenes booster issues which were highlighted in the Inside Texas post I pasted above.

And yes, we're going to see attrition, but that's coming anyway, especially if we make a coaching change.

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I already said the buyout is higher right now, and then there are the behind-the-scenes booster issues which were highlighted in the Inside Texas post I pasted above.

Right, but you have to pay his remaining salary either way. An interim already on staff would be getting paid either way too, albeit maybe marginally more were they to be promoted.

in basketball, as opposed to football, its easy to get myopic on the head coach.  my biggest problem with Shaka is his assistant coaches are shit and he hasn't fixed that AT ALL.  get his ass gone asap and for god sake quit giving extensions for making a tournament in a sport...

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

That was amazing. You get 17 steals and still lose by double figures. That has to be a record.

The most amazing stat to me was that despite only missing 16 shots all game, Georgia rebounded nine (56 percent)  of them. NINE.

So we only rebounded seven of their misses from the floor, plus a couple more from the charity stripe.

Truly staggering numbers. Can't recall seeing anything like it between relatively equal programs.

• Like 2

The only tournament Shaka is making is  that post-season invitational in the Bahamas being organized by Ja Rule, Billy McFarland, and British Knights shoe company

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

After being a long hold out I think I'm on the fire Shaka bandwagon. 

But if he makes the tournament I can't see them making a move with that buyout. 

He’s on the verge of losing the team.  I’d be very surprised if he can turn this around and make the tournament.  

in basketball, as opposed to football, its easy to get myopic on the head coach.  my biggest problem with Shaka is his assistant coaches are shit and he hasn't fixed that AT ALL.  get his ass gone asap and for god sake quit giving extensions for making a tournament in a sport...

Basketball is also eleventy million times easier to fix than football. The is zero downside to dumping and starting over. Well, as long as you don’t sweat flushing $15 Million down the toilet.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Banner from Tenn. WVU game. "There are no McDonald's All-Americans playing in this game."

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The only tournament Shaka is making is  that post-season invitational in the Bahamas being organized by Ja Rule, Billy McFarland, and British Knights shoe company

It's certainly trending that way but the bubble is shit and Texas is going to have really good metrics even at around .500.

For instance, we're currently #4 in the NET SOS. 

I don't think people realize how shit the bubble is. I'm not saying that justifies keeping Shaka but the bubble is bad. 

2 hours ago, SDG said:

He’s got to go, but how did he suck at VCU? (I’m asking because I really only remember the final four run in San Antonio.). 

He didn't suck, he peaked with the Final four run then lost his two key assistants. That was the beginning of the end for him.  He was liked, and won games after the run enough to keep the fans happy.  

Derka has a major hard on for him with good reason, based on his performance at UT.  Without his assistants he didn't have any strategy other than HAVOC. It was a blast to watch when it worked.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Shaka is performing exactly as well at Texas as we should have expected based on his resume at VCU. Steve Patterson is a fucking sleeper cell sent by OU or A&M to destroy the Texas athletic department, and he's the best in the business. 

Maybe it was the curse of the departing coaxhes? At the time they seemed decent hires. Lesson learned: can't shoot for decent here at Texas. It has to be homerun hires around here. See Texas Football 2018.

42 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's certainly trending that way but the bubble is shit and Texas is going to have really good metrics even at around .500.

For instance, we're currently #4 in the NET SOS. 

I don't think people realize how shit the bubble is. I'm not saying that justifies keeping Shaka but the bubble is bad. 

How's the bubble?

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Well for starters, our resume wasn't all that great before this game and Lunardi still had us as a 9 seed.

Bracket Matrix has us as a high 10. http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

I think he was just making fun of my repetition. 

But your point is right. Even at about .500 we will probably make the tournament. If we get to 8-10 in the Big 12 (which isn't trending that way) I bet we make the tournament. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Well for starters, our resume wasn't all that great before this game and Lunardi still had us as a 9 seed.

Bracket Matrix has us as a high 10. http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

17 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think he was just making fun of my repetition. 

But your point is right. Even at about .500 we will probably make the tournament. If we get to 8-10 in the Big 12 (which isn't trending that way) I bet we make the tournament. 

Name your number and we can escrow it somewhere between us friends. I’ll bet you whatever that this team isn’t making the tournament. They’re on a bullet train towards a broken bridge and the collapse will be horrific. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Name your number and we can escrow it somewhere between us friends. I’ll bet you whatever that this team isn’t making the tournament. They’re on a bullet train towards a broken bridge and the collapse will be horrific. 

I don't think they will make the tournament the way it's trending but it wouldn't shock me if they do. It won't take much. It's certainly not something I would bet on because I have little confidence based on the losses piling up. 

Edited by texasstrong12

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oh, I wouldn't bet a dollar on it. I'm just addressing the position that we're currently in the bubble conversation.

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I don't think 8-10 gets us in. That would put us at 16-15 entering the conference tournament. 

I also don't think we get to 8-10. 

Agree, we need 10-8 and at least two wins in the Big 12 tournament.

I know I am late and this should not come as a surprise but today was the day I threw in the white flag. Turned the game off early in the second and couldn’t watch it anymore. Officially jumped to the fire Shaka side, tried to hang in as long as I could. The offense was approaching giving me a stroke at 27.

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don't think 8-10 gets us in. That would put us at 16-15 entering the conference tournament. 

I also don't think we get to 8-10. 

8-10 with a Big 12 tournament win or two would get us in IMO. 

I posted this somewhere last year but 8-10 teams in the Big 12 (when it's the #1 conference) almost always gets in the tournament with a winning record. 

OU for example was 18-13 last year. 8-10 in conference and lost in the first round of the Big 12 tournament. 

They didn't even play in a "first four" game and the bubble is worse this year. 

It doesn't take much at all to make the tournament when you play in the Big 12. OU probably makes the tournament last year even at 7-11 and around 17-14 or 16-15. 

Edited by texasstrong12

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Baylor and OSU didn't get in last year. They were both 8-10, and 19-15 and 21-15 overall. 

I'll try and find the old post from last year but we have this discussion almost every year. I think the context was like top 50 or 60 in RPI. 

Oklahoma State finished 85th in RPI last year and Baylor finished 70th. What screwed those two teams last year is both teams played a shit non-conference schedule. Baylor (#282 NCSOS) and Oklahoma State (#311 NCSOS) per Kenpom. 

Texas currently has the #47 NCSOS which is why their metrics will be better than both those teams as long as they get to around 17 to 18 wins. For comparisons sake OU had the #96 NCSOS last year. That's why they got in. 

Edited by texasstrong12

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Next time I see an article about how wealthy our athletic program is, I'll come back to this thread... because year after year we are apparently too poor / our BMDs are too miserly to fire this guy.

it's because they don't care about basketball. It has little to do with being "too miserly". 

I actually think they would have more incentive to open their checkbooks if it was baseball. 

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic